homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bizarre Brews (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Bizarre Brews
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An American brewery has made ale from lunar meteorites.
What unusual ingredients/processes have you heard of?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Brew dog, the self proclaimed "punk brewers" in the UK, had a beer that came with the bottle inserted in a stuffed hare. Not an ingredient I grant you, but certainly unusual....

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In South America, I have already quite often drunk beers that have human spit as one of their ingredients. I understand that it's good for fermentation.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its said that the best scrumpy always had a dead rat in the barrel.

The odd ingredient I remember best is sock fluff, due to a friend's mother not cleaning out the pipes of the spin-dryer before she used it to make homemade cider. Those of us in-the-know always avoided the first batch [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Not especially strange for Dogfish; their head brewmaster did, in fact, write The Book on extreme brewing. From recreating old brews based on archaeological evidence to building the first wooden fermentation tanks to be used by a commercial American brewery since before Prohibition, this is pretty much par for the course for them.

As for spit and brewing: there are quite a few drinks made around the world where you chew the grains, get a good gob of saliva, and spit it into a crock to let it ferment, sometimes just overnight. The enzymes break down the starches into sugars, so you can skip the malting stage used in most commercial processes. Again, I think Dogfish did a beer like this.

Charlie Papazian has a recipe in The Joy of Homebrewing for an early English ale made with a crushed rooster, thrown into the brew kettle bones and all. While I've had mescal distilled through a chicken breast (which is actually pretty good, especially if someone else is paying—it's $200 a bottle!), I've never had chicken beer. I've also heard stories of people using marajuana instead of hops—they're closely related resinous members of the same botanical family, and some hops, especially low alpha English varieties, do smell a bit, um, dank, though I haven't heard any conclusive reports on how that turned out.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
L'organist: The odd ingredient I remember best is sock fluff, due to a friend's mother not cleaning out the pipes of the spin-dryer before she used it to make homemade cider. Those of us in-the-know always avoided the first batch [Ultra confused]
I'm sure you missed out on the best taste.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite as arcane, but elderberry* cordial, diluted with hot water and a good slug of brandy or rum, is a wonderful antidote to colds. You won't feel a thing. (Cue drunken emoticon if I could find one.)I've just harvested this year's crop and hope to have several litres of the magic liquid to see me through till autumn 2014.

* That is, made from the berries, not the flowers. Elderberries are solid vitamin C.

[ 13. October 2013, 20:11: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realize you could make cordial with elderberries. In the days when I has access to elderberries, the only recipe I had was for jelly.

I didn't like it that much.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite what you're asking for, but Shain's of Maine once made a "beer and pretzels" flavored ice cream. [Eek!]

Arrogant Bastard Ale (my personal favorite beer of all time, except for maybe their 'double bastard' ale) lists 'arrogance' as one of the ingredients.

Here in New England, pumpkin beer is quite popular. [Projectile]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like some of the pumpkin beers, not for all afternoon watching football, but as a dessert beer. I've got a bottle of Hemp Ale (brewed with hemp seeds and described as 'dank and resinous' in a review I read) in the fridge that I need to try.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I'm clearly out of my depth here.

Long ago and far away, an ex-Playboy bunny acquaintance originally from Kansas introduced me to tomato beer, a 50/50 mixture of 3.2 beer and tomato juice.

Turned out she had numerous other character flaws as well. Short acquaintance.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh, like that gawd awful Chelada that ABInBev sells. Beer with tomato and clam juice it in. Clearly an Abomination Before the Lord [Disappointed]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I lived in Seattle many moons ago, I heard tell of a bar in the University District that was going to have a green beer ice cream milkshake for St. Patty's Day. [Projectile]

You would certainly have to be drunk off your ass to willingly drink something like that, I think. Green beer alone makes the baby Jesus weep, never mind the ice cream added.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:
Ugh, like that gawd awful Chelada that ABInBev sells. Beer with tomato and clam juice it in. Clearly an Abomination Before the Lord [Disappointed]

I just saw an advertisement for that yesterday and thought it was a sick joke! It was a Budweiser ad on a bus stop shelter and I nearly fell out of my seat on the bus. Nasty!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I didn't realize you could make cordial with elderberries. In the days when I has access to elderberries, the only recipe I had was for jelly.

I didn't like it that much.

Moo

Elderberry is a bit of an acquired taste IMO. The wine is foul. But the amount of sugar required to make the cordial, plus the alcohol, make an enormous difference. It's the usual process: stew the berries in enough water to cover them, strain overnight and boil up with one pound of suger per pint of juice. Boil/reduce till thick and gloopy. Bottle when cool. I use 50 cl water bottles and keep them in my spare fridge. This can be a life saver. My last bottle is just seeing me through my present cold until I can make the new vintage in half term, which is next week. [Razz]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

I forgot to add that Muddy Puddle* is up there contending for Most Disgusting Soft Drink Award.

*Equal parts coke and grapefruit juice. [Projectile]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done it but I understand adding meat when brewing cider was a traditional way of feeding nitrates to the yeast. It's usually replaced by adding a packet of yeast nutrient instead.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:
Originally posted by BessHiggs:

I just saw an advertisement for that yesterday and thought it was a sick joke! It was a Budweiser ad on a bus stop shelter and I nearly fell out of my seat on the bus. Nasty!
I've never had one of the pre-packaged versions, but a michelada goes wonderfully with a Mexican brunch. I prefer the lime version, but a bloody beer here and there isn't all that bad.

Oysters and stout go together, and some people have even added oysters to the mash, creating oyster stout. A local brewery filmed an April Fool's day commercial a few years ago, claiming that they were going to release a rocky mountain oyster stout (RMO being bull testicles). What started as a joke turned into a brainstorm, and they now make small batches of the stuff.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a blog called Brewing Reality, I saw that the blogger has been collaborating with Honest Brew to make.... Woodlice Beer. With real woodlice, ground up.
He says it's very nice, but I don't think I fancy trying it.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
A local brewery filmed an April Fool's day commercial a few years ago, claiming that they were going to release a rocky mountain oyster stout (RMO being bull testicles). What started as a joke turned into a brainstorm, and they now make small batches of the stuff.

Just, no. No, NO, nO, no, no, NO NO!

[Projectile]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the story from the brewery itself.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blasphemy. Beer is proof #1 that God exists and wants us to be happy; messing with it (and this includes brewing it from rice, you heathens at Anheuser Busch*) is clearly tantamount to the Unforgivable Sin.

*Story goes that AB once recalled a batch of Satan's Piss^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^ Budweiser and wouldn't say why. Rumour was that someone had slipped some malt and hops into the mash and they were terrified that their customer base would find out what beer is meant to taste like.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A colleague was married to a Swedish lady with a talent for distilling her own vodka from a cereal based brew that she fermented herself. She distilled two fractions, the second came out at around 40% ABV and was clear, the first was around 60-70% ABV and was tinted the same colour as the plastic washing-up bowl into which was collected from the still.
Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I don't drink Budweiser, but it is always important to remember a few things.

1. Light lager is one of the hardest styles to get right, as there is nothing for your off flavors to hide behind. You have to have your technique pretty much perfected to pull it off.

2. Repeatability and consistency is also very hard to achieve. Many of my favorite breweries struggle with consistency, and strive for the consistency achieved by Budweiser.

So these guys aren't schlub brewers. I wish they would apply that skill to making something more flavorful, but they are damn good at what they do.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh - these references are to American Budweiser, not the real stuff from the Czech Republic.

Same name, so different.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for clearing that up; the initial reference to Anheiser-Busch wasn't at all clear. [Roll Eyes]

I don't suppose it's all that bizarre, but I've recently been introduced to
beer aged in whiskey barrels. Yum.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I don't suppose it's all that bizarre, but I've recently been introduced to
beer aged in whiskey barrels. Yum.

I've not had that one, but the concept is brilliant! My favourite is aged in bourbon barrels.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whiskey* barrel aging isn't that unusual; what is unusual is people doing it well. I've found that, in too many instances, the barrel only accentuates the flavors of higher alcohols common to beers that get the aging—barleywines, imperial stouts, double porters and the like. It's also horribly trendy, so now everybody is doing it...which is only a problem since it's usually pretty bad. I've also heard of people doing barrel-aged cocktails, but that trend hit its peak last year, I think, though some of the better joints still do it, from what I understand. Odd that, as people get away from barrel-aged or overoaked wines (especially whites, although ultratraditional Barolo, fermented in oak vats, has been on the decline for some time), everything else is getting poured into new and stranger barrels.

Sour beers, on the other hand...now there's something becoming trendy that's being done well. How's this for an unusual ingredient: the bacteria and fungi you usually try to keep the Hell away from your beer? Most of the sours I've had—both traditional Belgian and new wave American—have been exceptional, but of special note are the (often aged!) sours from The Bruery in Orange County, CA. Their Sour in the Rye is a thing of beauty, one of my 5 all time favorites. They've also been known to do the occasional sour brown ale with guava, which is unusual even to me—you know things are slightly out of hand when the local brewery's flagship is a saison brewed with peppercorns, with a lime basil version on tap in the summer.

*ETA: yes, "e" very much intentional. I've yet to hear of a Scotch-barrel finished beer (probably because Scotch distilleries use used barrels anyway), but I'd guess someone, somewhere, has tried it. It reminds me of that wine finishing fad that we went through a few years back, when it seemed everybody had to age something in some odd wine barrel or other to sell it...

[ 15. October 2013, 03:46: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I did a quick look around, and found at least one place that is aging beers in Scotch and rum barrels. Bourbon barrels are just easier to get your hands on, I suppose, since they can only be used once, and then the distiller has to find some way to get rid of them. I have a friend who recently acquired a small barrel for making barrel aged cocktails at home. I've occasionally let it be known that if anyone wanted to buy me a small barrel as a Christmas present, I would find use for it, but no one has taken the hint so far.

I have become a fan of Jolly Pumpkin's offerings, which are fermented in barrels that contain bacteria, for wonderful sour results.

--------------------

Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most unusual beer I have tasted was the the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm Beer! An unusual taste, to say the least.. but quite acceptable, despite a clove of garlic lurking in the bottom of the bottle!

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about truly bizarre brews that come bizarre, but I do see people do terrible things to beer before drinking them.

What's with the slice of lemon or lime in the beer? Or mixed with fruit juice or pop? Of course this may mark the need to make excessively chilled inferior product palatable.

Being an emotional consumer of beer, I've been consuming various oatmeal stouts (porters) lately. Barney Flats from California was in the Little Book Store last week, and I have a liking for St Ambroise from Québec. I think they burn the oats then ferment. It reminds me of my dead mother, who regularly burnt the breakfast porridge. The idea of fermenting what she incompetently cooked makes me chuckle. -- so does the idea of people getting up hung over in the rain and deciding what to burn today to ferment tomorrow, which apparently also applies to Scotch.

Note: Little Book Store = LBS = Liquor Board Store. Is this common everywhere in Canada? Like buying twofours of beer?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Despite?"

Surely you mean "because."

[Crosspost; sorry.]

[ 15. October 2013, 19:12: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I don't know about truly bizarre brews that come bizarre, but I do see people do terrible things to beer before drinking them.

What's with the slice of lemon or lime in the beer? Or mixed with fruit juice or pop? Of course this may mark the need to make excessively chilled inferior product palatable.

Ah! Radler! Don't besmirch it; it's the best possible thing to have after a long, hard bike ride (as the name indicates; it's German for "cyclist"). The lemonade cuts the body and gives you a bit of extra tartness, sugar, and water, while the beer...well, it's beer. 'Nuff said. Nobody may ever fully comprehend the sacred bond between beer and bicycling, but one must always respect it.

As for putting lime in your Corona, it's just what you do. Sure, Corona is just fizzy beer-flavored water, but, on a hot day, fizzy beer-flavored water with a bit of lime in it is just the thing you need.

Everything else: beats me. Guess some people just like it that way.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Ariston! I came home from my 45 min bike commute to a coffee porter from Mill Street brewing, as I curried left over Thanksgiving curry in chicken broth with orzo (the pasta), cranberries, and green and wax beans. Never a citrus anything with a brewski. I'll bet you lemon up your tea as well, thou contaminatorist!

Kein Müll in meinem Bier! (no garbage in my beer)

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Radler's useful for priming the pump, so to speak; you go out, rip it up on the bike, leave the bunch so far behind they wonder if you've disappeared...no, you've just beat them to the bar. So you have the radler first to recover, regain your bearings, shock your system back into being alive...and then, once you can think/walk/talk straight, then you get the Real Beer. Any sooner, and you're liable to either puke it back up (NO), or get an instadrunk off of one beer. Sometimes, caution is a good thing.

Either that, or witbier—but, I suppose that since even the good Belgian stuff has oats, dried bitter orange peel, and coriander seed in it, it's a bit suspicious for you. Sad—well, more for me!

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Coriander? Oh my God!! A mere whiff of that and green version, cilantro, is enough to make me vomit. The worst tasting stuff in the world. Yes, I am a purist when it comes to beer and tea.

Please drink it all up, and if ever meet you, I shall order my own beer. That is for certain.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

*ETA: yes, "e" very much intentional. I've yet to hear of a Scotch-barrel finished beer (probably because Scotch distilleries use used barrels anyway), but I'd guess someone, somewhere, has tried it. It reminds me of that wine finishing fad that we went through a few years back, when it seemed everybody had to age something in some odd wine barrel or other to sell it...

Tullibardine 1488, is, as the name sugggests, made using barrels from Tullibardine. (if anything the beer is more to my tastes than the whisky)

I am sure there are a few more, but the Whisky industry isn't turning out spare barrels the way the bourbon industry is, so it is inevitable bourbon casked beers will be more frequently seen.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
the beer...well, it's beer.

At this point the peace is shattered as the Baby Jesus bursts into tears.

quote:
'Nuff said. Nobody may ever fully comprehend the sacred bond between beer and bicycling, but one must always respect it.
Goodly ale yes, fizz no.

quote:
As for putting lime in your Corona, it's just what you do. Sure, Corona is just fizzy beer-flavored water, but, on a hot day, fizzy beer-flavored water with a bit of lime in it is just the thing you need.

And now the Baby Jesus has a bad attack of colic.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

After cycling - or any other form of exertion what you need is BEER - that is a proper cask ale.

My personal preference would be for something like Butcombe bitter - only 4.0 ABV so not likely to knock you off your feet.

If you feel the need to dilute then a shandy but always made with bitter please.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I'm going to come in and defend the Radler here. About ten years ago, I was hiking through Franconia in Germany, going from farmhouse brewery to farmhouse brewery. And on that June day, the most popular option by far was the Radler. If the guy who brewed the beer will serve it to you, and it tastes good, what's wrong with it?

You have to be careful with your purity standards. Next thing someone will say that adding sugar to the boil is blasphemy, even though that is one of the keys that the Trappists use to get their brews nice and digestible. Rochefort 10 without sugar would be a cloying mess.

And I'm with Ariston, life without Wit wouldn't be quite as lovely. I'm telling you, a more perfect brunch beer does not exist.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Coriander? Oh my God!! A mere whiff of that and green version, cilantro, is enough to make me vomit. The worst tasting stuff in the world. Yes, I am a purist when it comes to beer and tea.

Please drink it all up, and if ever meet you, I shall order my own beer. That is for certain.

So I shouldn't mention Göse, an absolutely lovely German beer brewed with salt, Brett, and coriander? Or Beliners who put raspberry, lemon, and woodruff syrup into their Weiße* (not at the same time, mind you)? Or Belgian factory workers who used to go to the bar, order a geuze, and grab the provided sugar and muddler to tame the sourness (seriously, try some Cantillion, you'll get the whole sugar thing; vinegar's sweet by comparison)? Adulterating beer has a long and semi-noble history.

*Or "Weisse" for those of you who actually speak German, rather than read dead books by dead authors in a dead spelling.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
... The odd ingredient I remember best is sock fluff, due to a friend's mother not cleaning out the pipes of the spin-dryer before she used it to make homemade cider. Those of us in-the-know always avoided the first batch [Ultra confused]

Where does a spin dryer fit into making cider?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Enoch

A spin dryer can be used as follows: you only use really ripe fruit, which you pack in very tightly with a large heavy weight on the top. Turn on the dryer and the juice is forced out of the apples (or something like that - I didn't make the stuff).

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'all are so adorable. Let me list off the beers with odd ingredients/preparations I can remember consuming here in the heart of Beervana: Portland, Oregon:

- imperial barleywine aged in oak casks with candy canes.
- Stout mixed with spruce tips.
- Wheat beer blended with watermelon juice
- Eisbock. That'd be a Doppelbock they froze and picked the ice chunks out of.
-Berliner-weisse where during the brewing process they chucked in whole, completely baked, strawberry rhubarb pies.
-an amber brewed with five different types of hot peppers
- Bacon lager, bacon stout, bacon porter, bacon ale. None of them were really good.

Having said that, lately my drink of choice has been an InBev/AB product called a Limearita. It's Bud Light-based malt liquor mixed with margarita flavorings. It was a long, hot summer in Oregon, okay? But Jubelale taps just went up this week!

And if you haven't had a michelada, try one instead of a Bloody Mary some Saturday at brunch.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

Indeed, adding various types of conifer foliage to the mix appears to be a current fad. My brother the Brewmaster inquired recently asked me to send him some branches of Red Cedar (thuja plicata) to see if it gave a different flavor to some of his beer compared to the Incense Cedar (calocedrus decurrens) that he could get locally.

Perhaps I should have suggested that he try torreya taxifolia ("Stinking Cedar").

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Canadian prairie drink: a Red Eye, equal parts of tomato juice and beer, usually generic lager. It's spewish as well.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

Indeed, adding various types of conifer foliage to the mix appears to be a current fad.
Huh, the one I remember drinking was served at the 2009 Holiday Ale Festival.

And the Red Eye no prophet references is called a Red Beer by the gringos here in Oregon. A Red Eye is a coffee drink where shots of espresso are poured into drip coffee (also sometimes called A Shot in the Dark).

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
quote:

Indeed, adding various types of conifer foliage to the mix appears to be a current fad.
Huh, the one I remember drinking was served at the 2009 Holiday Ale Festival.

And the Red Eye no prophet references is called a Red Beer by the gringos here in Oregon. A Red Eye is a coffee drink where shots of espresso are poured into drip coffee (also sometimes called A Shot in the Dark).

Well, if we're going to be complete, a red eye is also a peeled moon, and if you don't know what that is, I will not tell you for blushing's sake.
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was at university it became fashionable for some people to make Guinness floats: two scoops of vanilla ice cream with Guinness poured over the top.

Blasphemous to be sure, but they sold like mad at the on-campus pub. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

That is blasphemous. It should be chocolate ice cream.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016