homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vive la difference? - a challenging statistic (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Vive la difference? - a challenging statistic
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Statistics on civil partnerships available here reveal something very puzzling. From 2011 (linked pdf here), the equivalent release from 2010 ( pdf also downloadable from the same site) and an excel chart downloadable from the site, it appears that civil partnerships between women are significantly more likely to end up being dissolved than those between men.

According to the reports, the figures in other countries with legally binding same sex relationships show the same discrepancy. It also seems to be broadly consistent from year to year.

If these figures are correct, they are fascinating for a reason that has nothing to do with same sex relationships.

Obviously, the statistics on the dissolution of heterosexual unions are bound to indicate that the same number of men get divorced as women.

Unless there is something anachronous about gay couples, these figures, and only these figures, will pick up a difference between the sexes. Does this indicate, for example, that they might have either different standards for or a different approach to marital commitment and fidelity? Until legally dissolvable same sex relationships existed, these pointers, whatever they might point to, could not have existed.

The question, of course, is 'to what do they point?' Traditionally, it has always been assumed that it is men that are more given to infidelity, who sit looser on commitment. These figures suggest otherwise. Or is there some other explanation?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couples composed of women are more likely to go through pregnancy and birth than male couples - this surely puts pressure on the relationship, just as it does for different-gender relationships.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Couples composed of women are more likely to go through pregnancy and birth than male couples - this surely puts pressure on the relationship, just as it does for different-gender relationships.

Couldn't that work the other way round?

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two possible explanations that come to mind are socialization and income disparities.

1) Socialization: Girls are taught from a very young age to regard weddings and marriage as a kind of happily-ever-after fairy tale ending to a degree not seen in boys' socialization. It's distinctly likely that gay men have more realistic expectations entering marriage than lesbians do, on average.

2) Income Disparities: Disagreements about finances are one of the leading factors in heterosexual divorces. There's no reason to think it's that much different for same-sex couples. Given the male-female income gap, a lesbian couple would, on average, be under greater financial stress than a gay male couple.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspected, and the statistics seem to confirm, that gay men are less likely to enter into civil partnerships in the first place and are, on average, older when they do enter them (Source, admittedly a bit dated. ). Both of these would seem to be relevant. Certainly the stereotype within the LGBT community is that lesbians 'bring a moving van to the second date' whereas gay men are much more reticent about commitment. The flipside may well be that, relationships between gay men (although rarer) may be more stable.

That's obviously a stereotype, but there does seem to be limited statistical support for it.

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

It could if one of the male couple were trans, but while a cis gay male couple can go through surrogacy or adoption, they're not actually going to go through pregnancy.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The question, of course, is 'to what do they point?' Traditionally, it has always been assumed that it is men that are more given to infidelity, who sit looser on commitment. These figures suggest otherwise. Or is there some other explanation?

Assuming it is about infidelity as opposed to other very plausible theories mentioned above, another possibility would be that women are, for whatever reason, less likely to forgive infidelity or remain in a relationship following such an indiscretion.

Just a possibility. I suspect it's way too soon to even take these stats as anything more than just "suggestive"-- we'll need to wait a decade or more for the real long-term studies, as well as see if there's any difference between civil union v. same-sex marriage.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by S. Bacchus:
I suspected, and the statistics seem to confirm, that gay men are less likely to enter into civil partnerships in the first place and are, on average, older when they do enter them.

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winnah!
The stats from Enoch's link bear this out as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have worked with two lesbians living together who have both had children by the same gay male who also lives with them. I find this rather bizarre as both females are called Mummy and the male is known by all the children as Daddy. To my way of thinking this is just like a polygamous marriage and must be confusing for the children.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Statistics on civil partnerships available here reveal something very puzzling. From 2011 (linked pdf here), the equivalent release from 2010 ( pdf also downloadable from the same site) and an excel chart downloadable from the site, it appears that civil partnerships between women are significantly more likely to end up being dissolved than those between men...

[snip]

...Obviously, the statistics on the dissolution of heterosexual unions are bound to indicate that the same number of men get divorced as women.

Yes, but the statistics on the dissolution of heterosexual unions do indicate that more women file for divorce than men (link) , which could explain your anomaly.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What would they be confused about ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
quote:
quote:

It could if one of the male couple were trans, but while a cis gay male couple can go through surrogacy or adoption, they're not actually going to go through pregnancy.
Jade that wasn't what I meant by my reply. I was suggesting that one might expect that having made the decision to have a child together - a more complex decision than for heterosexual couples - might make people more committed to stay together rather than less.

Originally posted by anoesis
quote:
Yes, but the statistics on the dissolution of heterosexual unions do indicate that more women file for divorce than men, which could explain your anomaly.
Not really. That would fit the centuries old assumption of unfaithful men letting down dutiful women. But if that assumption were correct, female same sex relationships would have a much lower dissolution rate than male ones.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But this is guessing. You need some more stats on divorce.

It's possible that women just get dissatisfied with marriage more than men, not because of adultery. But are there any stats on this?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have worked with two lesbians living together who have both had children by the same gay male who also lives with them. I find this rather bizarre as both females are called Mummy and the male is known by all the children as Daddy. To my way of thinking this is just like a polygamous marriage and must be confusing for the children.

What would they be confused about? Children learn what they need to learn to describe their family, be it the case you mentioned, or in a modern marriage which includes sequential step-parents from multiple marriages and partnerships, open adoption with both biological and adoptive parents and grandparents and uncles and aunts.

I suspect the only ones confused are outsiders to the family.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
But this is guessing. You need some more stats on divorce.

It's possible that women just get dissatisfied with marriage more than men, not because of adultery. But are there any stats on this?

I have noticed among people I know that women seem more likely to leave a marriage because they are unhappy with something in it but in most cases men only seem to leave the marriage if they have actually found another partner. (Of course there are exceptions to this but it seems to be the general trend I have observed).

Maybe this applies to same sex partnerships as well? And perhaps if there are more reasons that would lead to women leaving a partnership, in general a partnership between two women is inherently more at risk than that between two men?

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But this is just more guesswork. I keep trying to find some statistical analysis of reasons for divorce, but it's pretty thin on the ground, for some reason.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That would fit the centuries old assumption of unfaithful men letting down dutiful women.

Which seems an obviously nonsensical assumption (I realise it's not yours) because those unfaithful men need to find non-dutiful women to be unfaithful with.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:

For the children concerned, it's normal. They may in fact feel sorry for all those kids with only 2 parents.

EDIT: And I haven't the slightest idea why I'm allowing myself to help you perpetuate a complete tangent from the point of the thread. [Disappointed]

[ 08. September 2013, 14:11: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All I have on the original question is anecdotes from the gay community (and not, I would note, from the lesbian community). There are many male couples who are relatively relaxed about concepts of monogamy or fidelity.

They might look for... I suppose one would call it 'emotional' fidelity: they're not concerned about the act of having sex with someone outside the relationship, they're only concerned if it means something more than transitory physical attraction. A one-night stand is okay. An ongoing affair probably wouldn't be.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Women tend to be more fluid in sexuality and there is less social stigma for bisexual women than for bisexual men. I've known a few women who were in serious relationships with other women but after awhile realized they preferred men after all. I also know an engaged self-identified lesbian who constantly talks about which men she finds attractive. On the other hand it's much rarer for men to flit between committed relationships with both genders; certainly rarer to be open about it. So it may be the case that some lesbian partnerships end due to a reexamination of one or both partners' sexuality.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
Women tend to be more fluid in sexuality and there is less social stigma for bisexual women than for bisexual men. I've known a few women who were in serious relationships with other women but after awhile realized they preferred men after all. I also know an engaged self-identified lesbian who constantly talks about which men she finds attractive. On the other hand it's much rarer for men to flit between committed relationships with both genders; certainly rarer to be open about it. So it may be the case that some lesbian partnerships end due to a reexamination of one or both partners' sexuality.

I've certainly seen similar things said before - the only problem is that it doesn't seem to be borne out in the peer-reviewed literature I have seen. I've just been looking at data for proportions of the population having both recent and lifetime experiences with both sexes, and men show up as about as likely in all the lifetime, last five years and last 12 months categories.

Your comment on the relative level of stigmatization might be the answer to that - i.e. women feel freer to discuss it.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:

Apart from Lucia, it's surprising, isn't it, how squeamish so many of us are of the possibility that the two sexes might have different standards of behaviour. After all, there's an inherent inconsistency in the very phrase 'flit between committed relationships', and that is irrespective of whether the other parties in the successive relationships all belong to the same sex or not.

One would have thought the idea was that, whether marriage or civil partnership, once a person has entered into it, that is for life. So one of the things they give up is exploring alternative sexual fluidities.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
They may in fact feel sorry for all those kids with only 2 parents.

Like those, from hetero unions, you hear about who feel sorry for kids who only get one Christmas with mum and dad --- as opposed to one Christmas with mum plus partner, then another with dad plus partner.
<tangent alert>.

Coming back to OP I think there is a difference with the sexes in this regard. Having said that one must be wary of leaping to conclusions on the back of statistics.
I was thinking back to a time, before the age of contemporary society, when it was said a woman ,(who'd had her head turned), could walk out on a family far more easily than a man .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All sorts of things are said, rolyn. Though tracking down whether there is any underlying reality often seems remarkably difficult. I would hope that purg. specialises in the more difficult path, even if it involves lots of challenges.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Yes, but the statistics on the dissolution of heterosexual unions do indicate that more women file for divorce than men, which could explain your anomaly.

Not really. That would fit the centuries old assumption of unfaithful men letting down dutiful women. But if that assumption were correct, female same sex relationships would have a much lower dissolution rate than male ones.
Well, in my view, it suggests that women have either 1.) higher expectations of a relationship, so are more likely to be disappointed and give it all away, or 2.) a lower bar for ending a relationship. Neither of which require an unfaithful man. Or perhaps it merely reflects the fact that women have fewer socks to wash post-divorce, whereas men have more. Oh wait, no, that one would only work for heterosexual unions...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
I've certainly seen similar things said before - the only problem is that it doesn't seem to be borne out in the peer-reviewed literature I have seen. I've just been looking at data for proportions of the population having both recent and lifetime experiences with both sexes, and men show up as about as likely in all the lifetime, last five years and last 12 months categories.

Your comment on the relative level of stigmatization might be the answer to that - i.e. women feel freer to discuss it.

I think the point about committed relationships is key - I believe men are as likely to engage in bisexual behavior as women. I do not however observe men in committed relationships who openly go from woman to man to woman. Perhaps they want to, but it's not as socially acceptable.

I think homosexuality in men is judged much more harshly by society than in women. Many men who claim to hate homosexuality will openly admit to interest in same-sex activities between women.

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
[QUOTE]Apart from Lucia, it's surprising, isn't it, how squeamish so many of us are of the possibility that the two sexes might have different standards of behaviour. After all, there's an inherent inconsistency in the very phrase 'flit between committed relationships', and that is irrespective of whether the other parties in the successive relationships all belong to the same sex or not.

One would have thought the idea was that, whether marriage or civil partnership, once a person has entered into it, that is for life. So one of the things they give up is exploring alternative sexual fluidities.

On your first point - in general our culture tends towards serial monogamy, so that's what I mean by flit. A year or two with one person, then on to the next. This is not specific to any sexual orientation in my view.

On the second - my point is less about wanting to have bisexual free-for-alls after marriage, but rather that one party realizes that perhaps they would prefer a man rather than a woman as a fundamental concept. Granted I spent a number of years in California so my view might be skewed, but often I was the only woman in a group who had NOT had a relationship with another woman. I'm talking 1+ years, in some cases living together, public to their parents and colleagues, etc. If marriage had been legal at the time I am sure some of those women would be divorced from their former female partners rather than just broken up.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:

I think the point about committed relationships is key - I believe men are as likely to engage in bisexual behavior as women. I do not however observe men in committed relationships who openly go from woman to man to woman. Perhaps they want to, but it's not as socially acceptable.

I think homosexuality in men is judged much more harshly by society than in women. Many men who claim to hate homosexuality will openly admit to interest in same-sex activities between women.

Same-gender relationships between women are objectified - that's not the same as being more accepted.

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

seekingsister wrote:
quote:
I think the point about committed relationships is key
Maybe it is. The figures don't distinguish by marital status or other form of commitment. We'd need other data on that.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Granted I spent a number of years in California so my view might be skewed, but often I was the only woman in a group who had NOT had a relationship with another woman. I'm talking 1+ years, in some cases living together, public to their parents and colleagues, etc.

I've spent almost my whole life in California, and the past 20 years in a gay-friendly city in California, and the vast majority of the women I know who don't explicitly identify themselves as lesbians have not had a long-term relationship with another woman. Which I guess is just another way of saying the plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Granted I spent a number of years in California so my view might be skewed, but often I was the only woman in a group who had NOT had a relationship with another woman. I'm talking 1+ years, in some cases living together, public to their parents and colleagues, etc.

I've spent almost my whole life in California, and the past 20 years in a gay-friendly city in California, and the vast majority of the women I know who don't explicitly identify themselves as lesbians have not had a long-term relationship with another woman. Which I guess is just another way of saying the plural of "anecdote" is not "data."
Of course. But I could also point to Anne Heche and Lindsay Lohan as as additional examples. Again not data, but I can't think of any male celebrity in a similar situation.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Of course. But I could also point to Anne Heche and Lindsay Lohan as as additional examples. Again not data, but I can't think of any male celebrity in a similar situation.
I too am a lifelong Californian, and would have to echo Ruth's assessment. I would suggest that what you're seeing here is a form of observation effect-- you notice what you expect to see, the data that fits your preconceived expectations.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I may well betray myself as deeply uncool, but I've never heard of either of these two people. But searching them on Wikipaedia, what are they being cited as evidence of? Are they just mixed up, or are their lives saying something more? If so, what? I'm not picking up the allusion.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
I may well betray myself as deeply uncool, but I've never heard of either of these two people. But searching them on Wikipaedia, what are they being cited as evidence of? Are they just mixed up, or are their lives saying something more? If so, what? I'm not picking up the allusion.

they're California women who have had long-term same-sex relationships. Offered as evidence that nearly all California women (gay or straight, apparently) have been involved in long-term same-sex relationships (a premise disputed by Ruth & I).

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Anne Heche and Lindsay Lohan are both female celebrities who had one-off romantic relationships with other women, after which they went back to claiming to be "100% heterosexual" (to borrow a phrase from the Ted Haggard lexicon).

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

Since we're relying on anecdotal data, I'll offer myself as evidence that neither Anne Heche nor Lindsay Lohan represent typical California women.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about it, but isn't their a social angle and social perception angle?

When same sex marriage became legal in Canada the gay and lesbian couples we know seemed to suggest the idea of equality in marriage does not mean "just like hetero marriage". It seemed to me that the legalisation means that lesbian and gay people now have the possibility to explore what the differences and similarities are with the same equal rights as heterosexual couples. Equal ≠ identical. I suspect that there will be a difference when marital equality has existed for many years as compared to what it looks like now.

It would be really interesting to know from some people who really know (and if there is data) what the differences with marriages are. (And if I am wrong that there are differences, then I apologise, though admitting I'd be a little surprised.)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I'm not sure about it, but isn't their a social angle and social perception angle?

When same sex marriage became legal in Canada the gay and lesbian couples we know seemed to suggest the idea of equality in marriage does not mean "just like hetero marriage". It seemed to me that the legalisation means that lesbian and gay people now have the possibility to explore what the differences and similarities are with the same equal rights as heterosexual couples. Equal ≠ identical. I suspect that there will be a difference when marital equality has existed for many years as compared to what it looks like now.

It would be really interesting to know from some people who really know (and if there is data) what the differences with marriages are. (And if I am wrong that there are differences, then I apologise, though admitting I'd be a little surprised.)

You may be right that there are differences, although again, I think it would be waaaay too early to know, any study offered at this point in time would be preliminary at best. There is such diversity in the meaning, significance, and experience of hetero marriage, one would expect SSM to have similar variation to make such generalizations next to impossible, but we'll have to wait to see. I'm actually more interested to see if there's any difference between same-sex commitments labeled "civil unions" vs. those labeled "marriage" (other than the known legal/economic differences).

[ 09. September 2013, 23:51: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure about civil unions, as there is no distinction in marriage in Canada as far as I know (it's a provincial jurisdiction). Thus, no civil unions, church (or other cultural or religious) marriage=justice of the peace marriage here.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I suspect that the proportion of straight men who would think "threesome!" on discovering that the object if their affections was bi is rather larger than the proportion of straight women who would think the same. At least, popular culture suggests that this is true.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also a growing body of evidence that, contrary to stereotype, women are more prone to sexual boredom with a long-term partner, and more responsive to sexual novelty than men (see What Do Women Want by Daniel Bergner). The "lesbian bed death" cliche well-known to couples therapists is one anecdotal version of this, but there is actual research. It may be that gay men are better at keeping the flame burning (and more tolerant of partners who wander in search of sparks).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
There is also a growing body of evidence that, contrary to stereotype, women are more prone to sexual boredom with a long-term partner, and more responsive to sexual novelty than men (see What Do Women Want by Daniel Bergner). The "lesbian bed death" cliche well-known to couples therapists is one anecdotal version of this, but there is actual research. It may be that gay men are better at keeping the flame burning (and more tolerant of partners who wander in search of sparks).

I'm no expert in this field but according to
wiki the term "lesbian bed death" isn't really about "sexual boredom" or the search for novelty.

[ 10. September 2013, 05:08: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to see the some contemporary research. The study in cliffdweller's link is from the 1980's. I think perhaps the couples interviewed in that study may have been too worried about cave bear attacks to have sex.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
... When same sex marriage became legal in Canada the gay and lesbian couples we know seemed to suggest the idea of equality in marriage does not mean "just like hetero marriage". It seemed to me that the legalisation means that lesbian and gay people now have the possibility to explore what the differences and similarities are with the same equal rights as heterosexual couples. Equal ≠ identical...

How would they be different? How would one argue that they could be? Civil partnerships have the same legal rights and obligations as marriage. It is proposed that the UK will change actually to calling legal same sex unions marriage and there is argument about this. Legally it won't change much as the rights and obligations are already as identically as is practicable.

I can't speak for Scotland but the English courts don't regard pre-nuptual agreements as binding. Even if it did, they would only apply to legal things like property and income.

With what's outside that range, the law, and I think people at large, haven't taken much interest. The law doesn't say who has to put the bins out, feed the cat or do the school run. As far as I am aware, there hasn't been any discussion or interest in that sort of thing.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

I said that among women I knew in northern California a good number had had a committed relationship with a woman but then returned back to men. When challenged I named two famous women who publicly had live in committed relationships with other women and then went back to men. I think that's more than reasonable for internet message boards surely. I never claimed to speak for everyone.

There's no need for snarkiness just because you don't relate. The world is pretty big therefore we have different experiences and social groups.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Were these relationships 'committed'? They don't sound it.

So far as anyone else knows, did either of them give serious commitments to the other party in either relationship? That a relationship lasts longer than a few weeks doesn't make it 'committed'. There are heterosexuals who interpret flat-sharing as including not just kitchen, electricity bill, TV licence etc, but also body fluids. Might not there be some people who have this attitude irrespective of the sex of their flat mate? That doesn't mean they are committed, or that this is a life choice the rest of us might respect or want to recommend to our children.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Were these relationships 'committed'? They don't sound it.

So far as anyone else knows, did either of them give serious commitments to the other party in either relationship? That a relationship lasts longer than a few weeks doesn't make it 'committed'. There are heterosexuals who interpret flat-sharing as including not just kitchen, electricity bill, TV licence etc, but also body fluids. Might not there be some people who have this attitude irrespective of the sex of their flat mate? That doesn't mean they are committed, or that this is a life choice the rest of us might respect or want to recommend to our children.

Romantic relationships, living together, 1 year or longer. Is that "committed" enough? Some of these women were close friends of mine so your insinuation that I'm confusing a flatmate with a girlfriend is a bit unfair.

How old are you? It might make a difference. I'm a "millennial" as they call it and we might be more fluid in our relationships than other generations.

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think homosexuality in men is judged much more harshly by society than in women.

One reason is the myth that male homosexuality is exclusively to do with the anus ,(that being deemed 'dirty'). We seem to forget females have one aswell.
Another reason ,IMO, is that patriarchal cultures view sexual activity between men as unmanly and therefore a weakness.

Female homosexuality is often perceived as being sweet, innocent and something of a harmless variation. A man tends to have a benign attitude towards lesbianism, unless of course he has the misfortune to come home and find his wife in bed with the nanny.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Romantic relationships, living together, 1 year or longer. Is that "committed" enough? Some of these women were close friends of mine so your insinuation that I'm confusing a flatmate with a girlfriend is a bit unfair.

How old are you? It might make a difference. I'm a "millennial" as they call it and we might be more fluid in our relationships than other generations.

I've not encountered the term "millennial" used to describe a generation. I don't think we use it here. Likewise, if I say that I have a bus-pass, everyone here will be able to age me, but it won't mean much anywhere else. I suspect "millennial" does mean you are younger than I am, and possibly younger than my children.

I think we are talking cross purposes but I think this may not be a matter of age. A civil partnership in the UK is not marriage-lite. It was introduced to give same sex couples the ability to enter into the same life long commitment as a marriage, with the same obligations to each other. People only enter into civil partnerships, we hope, because they intend to commit to each other for life, in sickness and in health etc. So when we are talking about their being dissolved, we are not talking about the end of an affaire. Living together for a year, whether with no intention of permanence or being hopeful that it might become something permanent, is not comparable.

So, as with marriage, for a civil partnership to come to an end other than by death, one or both of them will have seriously let the other down. It's a breach of commitment of a quite different order from ending a romance because you don't think the other is 'the one', or because you've decided your orientation is towards the other half of the human species from the category they fall into.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I said that among women I knew in northern California a good number had had a committed relationship with a woman but then returned back to men. When challenged I named two famous women who publicly had live in committed relationships with other women and then went back to men. I think that's more than reasonable for internet message boards surely. I never claimed to speak for everyone.

There's no need for snarkiness just because you don't relate. The world is pretty big therefore we have different experiences and social groups.

I wasn't snarky because I couldn't relate; I was snarky because you offered very limited personal experience to make a sweeping claim, and you happened to mention the state where I live, so I could show that even the anecdotal personal experience you offered didn't even hold for California, never mind women in general.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016