homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "My chain fell off.....": A cycling thread
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
Took my bike to Greenbelt (again), this time I was a good Methodist - my chain did fall off!

No, to be a good Methodist you have to lose more than one chain!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, this whole time and I never realized "my chain(s) fell off" was a reference to anything other than mechanical trouble, much less anything Methodist. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this guy has been mentioned here before but Alex Zanardi who lost both legs after a Kart racing crash in 2001 has won the Para-cycling time-trial in Canada.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is really inspiring.

It puts me in my place, complaining of one slightly gammy foot.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I don't know if this guy has been mentioned here before but Alex Zanardi who lost both legs after a Kart racing crash in 2001 has won the Para-cycling time-trial in Canada.

Did you know that as well as winning his class at the world championship time trial and both the time trial and road race at the Paralympics last year, Zanardi also made a return to international motorsport after his crash and losing his lower legs? From 2004 to 2009 he raced a BMW with modified controls and managed to win a national touring car championship and a handful of touring car races in the World Championship, an amazing achievement considering he hadn't ever won any World Championship level races in any category before his crash.

The BBC article sells his original injuries short, it wasn't a kart race but a 300+ km/h crash in a 500km CART event, which was the old name for what is now the IndyCar Series. He managed to survive nearly 50 minutes on what doctors estimated was not much more than one litre of blood when the average man should have about 6-8 litres.

For those interested, a H4 category hand cycle is not too different from a regular recumbent, but as H4 is the classification for athletes with the highest remaining capacity in their legs it is used in a crouched kneeling position to allow them to lean into the corners. The races are short but very fast - how many people here could smash out 16 kilometres at an average speed of almost 40 kilometres per hour on any bike?

[ 02. September 2013, 03:33: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got back from the prologue of the Tour of Alberta. There have been pro riders training around town all week, and today I was within a few feet of Cadel Evans and Ryder Hesjdal!! (insert ear-splitting fangirl squee) [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meg, that's really cool. I've been following the Tour via Velonews and the like, and I really hope it takes off like the USA Pro Tour has (or maybe even more!); having a great first year like this one sure can't hurt!

I'm a bit surprised the Vueleta has turned out to be such a great race so far. It's very debatable whether the last of the Grand Tours is even in the top five road races, and many of the top teams have been either not putting in their top talent, or just not showing up at all, preferring to race in Colorado and Alberta. Yet the veteran Horner (how many other sports have 41 year olds who can still be competitive, much less have a legitimate shot at winning, on a world stage?) is still giving Nibali a bit of a run for his money. The Giro and Tour were both all but decided at this point; finally, a good Grand Tour! Took us long enough.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see if there are any more new releases or rumors about 2014 bikes that mere mortals can actually afford and my bike shop might actually consider stocking. $14,000 road bikes are nice, but I sell $540 commuter bikes...some innovation for the masses, please?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I'm a bit surprised the Vueleta has turned out to be such a great race so far. It's very debatable whether the last of the Grand Tours is even in the top five road races, and many of the top teams have been either not putting in their top talent, or just not showing up at all, preferring to race in Colorado and Alberta.

How good was last night's stage - a sprinter getting a win on a mountain stage in tough weather conditions after running away from the rainbow stripes! Ratto loves to ride his motorbike in the off-season, and it showed with his skill on that intense descent.

None of the top teams are skipping the Vuelta, all 19 ProTeams are there along with some invited top Pro Conti teams. To say that some are sandbagging it just because Chris Froome and Cadel Evans have entered some lower-grade races in the USA is a very ignorant view. The reason their teams are going for different leadership strategies (Henao & Uran at Sky, the world champion Gilbert & Italian champion Santomorita at BMC) is that entering guys who have gone all-out for the Tour de France only a month before would be a recipe for losing - just look at Evans' performance in the Tour this year after getting a podium finish in the Giro.

Riders like Froome, Evans and Sagan aren't doing those races in the Americas because they take them seriously (a pursuiter is currently leading the GC in Alberta) but because they are a good way to oblige the team sponsors at the same time as getting back into their first lower-tier racing after their post-Tour recovery to build up towards the World Championships. If it was a flat course for the Worlds this year you wouldn't see them there at all, their season would have ended on the Champs Elysee and you'd wait until 2014 before seeing them again.

The Vuelta is easily in the top ten road races each year, what is more questionable is whether the events in Colorado and Alberta are inside the top hundred. A couple of stars turning out for the sponsors flatters the status of those races.
quote:
Yet the veteran Horner (how many other sports have 41 year olds who can still be competitive, much less have a legitimate shot at winning, on a world stage?) is still giving Nibali a bit of a run for his money. The Giro and Tour were both all but decided at this point; finally, a good Grand Tour! Took us long enough.
The Giro was still very much a live race at this point, and there was still plenty of excitement in the Tour GC right up to the last climb of the race, with Froome having to defend his jersey right to the end of stage 20 as the race for second kept eating time from his lead.

I would hold back on being too enthusiastic about Horner possibly producing the first good Grand Tour performance from an American since Lemond. There's still plenty of time for anti-doping controls to come back (lets be realistic about a former Armstrong domestique who rode for Saunier Duval and Astana) and I would expect Rodriguez and Valverde to leap-frog him and fill the podium with Nibali.

quote:
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see if there are any more new releases or rumors about 2014 bikes that mere mortals can actually afford and my bike shop might actually consider stocking. $14,000 road bikes are nice, but I sell $540 commuter bikes...some innovation for the masses, please?
Speaking of which, I picked up a new commuter bike this week. It's a Scott Metrix, which is a big step for me as it means switching to a 700c flat bar road bike instead of putting slick tyres on a 26" MTB frame. It's a great looking bike with a nice form and great frame graphics (all Scott bikes look great, even their aero race and TT bikes) and has fun responsive handling. It was unfortunately a forced purchase (thankfully paid by insurance) after the old MTB-based hybrid was cracked by a car while parked against a bike rack.

I think the next big evolution you'll see with commuter bikes is disc brakes on 700c road commuter bikes, but you'll have to wait for it to trickle down just like it did with low-end mountain bikes. Disc brakes were the big trend with 2014 high-end road bikes at Eurobike 2013 recently and the conservatism of race teams means it could well skip straight to trickling down to flat bar bikes in the next couple of years. It will be worth it too with the advantages of better control, all-weather performance and the end of brake fade on steep descents.

Are you looking forward to cheering for the Belkin Pro Cycling Team (formerly Rabobank and then for half a season Blanco) next year after Bianchi filled the sponsorship gap vacated by Giant swapping to Argos-Shimano?

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
...To say that some are sandbagging it just because Chris Froome and Cadel Evans have entered some lower-grade races in the USA is a very ignorant view...

tgc - I read this as tantamount to a personal attack - be warned and don't do it again!

WW
All Saints Host

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Certainly not intended that way.

How about "a novel and unconventional understanding of professional cycling team strategies" instead.

[ 08. September 2013, 05:32: Message edited by: the giant cheeseburger ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

As always with evaluating sporting events with international audiences, your milage (or kilometerage) will vary. I stand by my assertions, such as they are, but hey. I'm also more a pint racer (as in, race to be first in line for pastries/coffee/beer) than a "real" racer, and I follow the techie angle as much as the competition. What can I say, it's my job.

So yes, my loyalties, such as they are, are to the bike first, the car second, and then the wife...or something like that.

As for disc brakes in commuter bikes, Kona's been doing it for years. The fact that they're a mountain/CX-focused company based in the ever-rainy Pacific Northwest might just have something to do with using a mountain/CX component that works well when wet.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Nothing boring about last night's stage of the Vuelta.

And I saw this on a local forum yesterday [Big Grin]

Our only off-street crit circuit in Adelaide (Victoria Park, using the pit straight of the motorsport circuit and the remainder purpose-built with the nicest cycling surface I've ever ridden) was extended to 1.35 kilometres at the start of this year, and opened for the first time in May after all the motorsport infrastructure was gone. I went there for the first time yesterday and was pretty happy with hitting a 1:54 lap time at 42.6 km/h, not bad for having done only a few rides on the road bike in the last few weeks as winter has lifted!

[duplicate post deleted - Piglet, AS host]

[ 09. September 2013, 23:33: Message edited by: piglet ]

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that the only way to survive on the roads is to assume that every other road user is a raving lunatic but I do find it a depressing when they keep proving it!

Some days I can ride into town and back with nary a problem but then there are days like today...

[Mad] [Eek!]

...and people wonder why I swear!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

I generally find Adelaide drivers to be pretty good so long as you ride sensibly and don't obstruct other road users needlessly. On the average 50 kilometre urban road ride I might come across just 3-4 idiots alongside hundreds of good drivers.

The worst ones are public transport bus drivers, they are quite happy to move over as soon as the front of the bus is in front and use the side of the bus to push you over to the kerb. On that basis alone I'll claim the lane if I see there's a bus coming up behind so the driver is forced to follow behind or make a proper overtaking move into the next lane.

Riding in Victoria has been scary the few times I've done it. I wouldn't go there again for anything other than a closed-road event without cameras attached and running front and rear.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Did anybody else watch the senior women's road race from the world championships tonight?

I thought it was an outstandingly exciting race with attacks galore on the flats, climbs and even the descents with Tiffany Cromwell's amazing skills. Marianne Vos was a very deserving winner from what was a very high quality field of eleven together on the last lap, this time going solo to the win instead of being pushed to a sprint like last year.

Rachel Neylan made a truly excellent debut as a commentator on the English-language world feed with great in-depth knowledge (she picked the Italian team tactics 20 minutes before it became obvious, to the disbelief of the play-by-play guy) and analysis of the competitors and the unfolding events, and a few good anecdotes about living next door to Mario Cipollini and training with him! The only disappointing thing about her commentary is that she was only doing it due to a spell on the sidelines due to injuries, at last year's world championships she was the only rider able to go with Marianne Vos on the final move and it would have been great to see a rematch. Her fellow South Australians in Carlee Taylor and Tiffany Cromwell who made the selection of 43 on the finishing circuit could well have achieved so much more if they were a trio instead of a pair.

The elite men's road race is on tomorrow night. Anybody game enough to make a prediction of who will win?

Philippe Gilbert and Fabian Cancellara can never be discounted in a major one day race - especially not the prestigious ones like the World Championship, the Monuments or the Olympic Road Race.
Cadel Evans will be the best chance of what is a very strong Australian team, he is an excellent performer in the national colours and he's had the perfect preparation with a good break after the Tour de France and then finding some good late season form in some of the lower-ranked races on the Americas continental circuit.
The Colombians Nairo Quintana and Carlos Betancur should both make the final selection and out-climb some of the all-rounders, but it would take a huge attack as neither will out-descend or out-sprint the all-rounders like Gilbert and Cancellara on the final lap.
Chris Froome could be a chance based on ability, and like Evans he did the Tour and then took a good break before using low-ranked races as training rides - but he's inexperienced in one day racing which won't help when his teammates get dropped and he has to do the job himself.
But my main tip would be for Jose Joaquim Rodriguez of Spain, as well as a hot chance he's a great guy who I would love to see wearing the rainbow stripes next year. Apart from the Vuelta maintaining it's place in the top ten races of the year, Spanish cycling is in crisis at the moment and Rodriguez would be the perfect man to rally them back to success.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just popping onto this thread to say my son has just completed the journey cycling from Heidelberg to John O'Groats. He was camping along the way and had two friends with him also doing the ride. He then went to Orkney by ferry, then Aberdeen, then flew home.

I say well done him [Smile]

Here are a couple of pics.

[Smile]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heidelberg to John O'Groats - wow! [Overused]

Glad he went over to Orkney - there's no point in going to JO'G if you don't ... [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Women's cycling is pretty much a race for second at this point—everybody knows who The Best is. I would say they need to pull a Merckx and let someone else have a chance to win, but...naaa, may as well enjoy watching such fierce competition. What little video of women's races that makes it over here (I can't watch live—between country restrictions and work, it ain't gonna happen) makes it clear that trying to best Perfection makes for great racing.

Then again, I should probably be in bed watching races rather than at work trying to heft bikes into stands and break rusted-on bolts. I had a pretty nasty spill last weekend riding home in the rain after 50 States and lost a fight with the Columbia Heights sidewalk. Funny how concrete tends to win these things. While bruised ribs are nasty no matter how you slice it (three weeks to heal? Are you kidding me? This perfect riding weather isn't going to last another three weeks! Fix that bike and get back going while it lasts!), I'm pretty sure straining those muscles isn't helping. I've had to point out that I'm grabbing the right side of my chest when I wince, so no, you don't need to call an ambulance for my heart attack.

This whole "you can recover or ride, not both" schtick is why St. Ariston the Klutzy don't do mountain biking. It's bad enough trying not to crash on manhole covers or get struck in traffic (am I the only one who loses sleep most nights thinking about the real likelihood of being hit by a car?), I don't need to be throwing jumps into the mix!

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
I generally find Adelaide drivers to be pretty good so long as you ride sensibly and don't obstruct other road users needlessly. On the average 50 kilometre urban road ride I might come across just 3-4 idiots alongside hundreds of good drivers.

Trouble is I commute 50km a day. That's 3-4 near misses a day.

On the upside I set a new record today.
Spat out 6 and ate 3 flies.
Even riding our river bike path has its perils...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
while bruised ribs are nasty no matter how you slice it (three weeks to heal? Are you kidding me?

You'll be lucky if it's only 3 weeks. I hurt mine a couple of months ago and they got better - until I filled my back pack with more than the usual amount of stuff - now they're sore again.

Brilliant day here. The CBD (or what's left of it)was closed to traffic and we had bikes, scooters, skateboards, wheelchairs and all manner of other wheeled vehicles being ridden and on show. There were weird one off bikes that had been made as a joke, penny-farthings, home made bike trailers and traditional women's bikes. It was great fun and really encouraging to see so many people enjoying themselves with their bikes. It really gave me hope that Christchurch will be rebuilt to be more cycle friendly.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It didn't take my cracked ribs that long to heal - three weeks sounds about right. I cracked them landing on top of the car door opened in my face. Car driver didn't look, I was moving pretty fast, front wheel was rearranged somewhat too.

I meandered into the GP a few days afterwards and said I thought I might have cracked some ribs. He looked at the bruising and said he thought so too, but there wasn't anything he could do. Goodbye.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Women's cycling is pretty much a race for second at this point—everybody knows who The Best is.

Do you actually watch any women's cycling during the 364 days a year other than the world championship race? I'm guessing not, because then you would know that Marianne Vos has the rainbow stripes but Emma Johansson of Orica-AIS is the current no. 1 ranked rider. You would also then know that there are plenty of other women who are winning the big races throughout the year, such as Linda Villumsen and Giorgia Bronzini.

Even last night's championship race was a far more open race than you might think, Vos only won because it was a race of attrition right down to the second climb on the last lap when the finish was close enough for her to launch a punchy attack. If a stronger attack had gone earlier (maybe if Ratto and Johansson had joined with Tiff Cromwell on lap 3) she could have been isolated and forced to spend her energy dragging that back while the other three Italians and Carlee Taylor sat on her wheel and stayed fresh for the possibility of the attack coming back.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It didn't take my cracked ribs that long to heal - three weeks sounds about right.

Smashed ribs take about 14 weeks with twinges of pain 7 years later. At least mine did

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think age also has a bearing on healing. I cracked those ribs in my 20s. I wouldn't put too much hope on mending broken bones that quickly now, with a daughter in her 20s (and taking a long time to recover from pleurisy)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Way to let me have my fanboy moment, man. Harshin' my buzz. Raining on the parade, even. Maybe I'm an oldschool throwback who prefers VeloNews to pixelated poor-quality live feeds that always air when I'm at work (something about the boss at job A not getting the cycling habit, everyone at job B more than getting it, but knowing it would kill our repair times/helpfulness if we were even able to watch races), though the ends of stages and races are a bit better quality—and watchable in between other things.

Maybe I just like her spirit and drive, her all-around ability, the way she wins not by physical virtuosity—everyone at that level has that—but by mental strength, by fighting through all those things your mind tells you. Maybe I just like her Twitter feed and making the cycling equivalent of Chuck Norris jokes. Probably all the above. Whatever. Go Marianne!

As for those of you concerned about widdle ol' me and my bruises...yes they hurt (though not as badly as I imagine properly broken ribs would—we're talking somewhere between "annoyed" and "mild swearing" on the pain scale, not "can't breathe, constant agony"), but I think they'd be a lot better if I was being sensible and actually resting, rather than working or, well, riding. I have a hunch I'll recover shortly after the weather turns less perfect and I stop doing fast rides compulsively in the not-quite hour of daylight I have after work "because this weather's not going to stay around forever, might as well get as much in while it lasts."

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor you, Ariston - it's easy for me as a non-bikist to say, "take it easy" but I can understand why you'd want to make the most of the cycling weather that's left before it turns too cold/wet/generally unpleasant.

Hope you're mended soon. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It happened again. A car came to me this morning and I felt near to being hit as it nipped a turn in front of me. Scary. When this happens, my responses are always unsatisfactory. I cannot do right anything it seems. Being thankful I wasn't hit seems to be about all that is possible. I have said to drivers when possible that they should be more careful or asked if they saw me, but invariably, except for once, the drivers say things like bicycles shouldn't be on the road, are defensive "how could you be concerned for your safety", or an f-off type of response. I am invariable polite, excessively so, when I've said to please be careful, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The one this morning told me that bicycles do not belong on the road and that I should walk. Not atypical, though this one didn't swear. I repeated my line "please be more careful, your hurry is not worth my life" to the wall of stupid.

What do you think and what are your experiences? I wish I could pick a different route, but sometimes there are no choices.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell them to fuck off and kick their door panels in. It's the only way they learn.

Seriously, though. Photograph the car including the licence plate and report it to the police. Ensure the driver knows that's what you're doing. The police won't do fuck all unless the homocidal cretin actually kills you, and then they'll not do much, but the driver doesn't know that and with a small degree of luck they'll shit themselves for a few days.

[ 17. October 2013, 21:22: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a good thought Karl. I did have a handle bar mounted camera but for a lengthy period, all I did was delete the video until I did get one of a bus nearly squishing me. You're right about no one caring, no one would watch it, even though I sent it along. It made me feel like a traffic troll, almost wanting an eggbrain to do something so I could get a good vid. After I started fantasizing about the authorities viewing the video after I'd been car killed, I stopped using it on the bike and started using it on the water. Maybe I should just carry it with me and do the threatening take a photo thing as you suggest. Might help my shattered emotions and faith in humanity. I am about ready to start a Purg thread "can motorists be Christian?" or "what is the Christian way to lip off to an cyclist you nearly killed?"

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

First, have some Depressing. Yeah, I should be used to stories like this by now, but I'm really not. It's part of why I'm glad we have so many cops who are regulars at my shop—it means there are cops familiar with cycling laws, since their life depends on it too.

As for what to do...I've signed petitions, I've put up signs, I've even volunteered to tow this thing. And while it's just a bit hard to miss that sign, the rest...well, we try. And try harder. And lie awake at nights each time we narrowly escape death.

Thanks be to God, I've yet to be in a serious wreck. Sure, bruised ribs, bloodied elbows, the usual "accidents happen" stuff, but when you're a right ijit like me who rides his '87 Schwinn like it was a racing bike, shit like that happens. You lie to yourself, say you don't hurt, it's a nice day, HTFU and go for a ride! But the stories I hear from people about them vs. cars...oy. Just Oy. I'm terrified of being doored, or a car-on-Ariston collision, and, as much as I ride, and (more to the point) as much as I ride in urban environments, I know it's a matter of When. And that scares me. DC's pretty bike friendly on the whole, but there are people who see folks like me as part of the War on Cars, and they're determined to win it by reminding us to know our place—which is, apparently, on the sidewalk. For starters, riding on the sidewalk is illegal in central DC on weekdays (something about pedestrians needing to use them), it's a jerk move everywhere, and all the time (don't pedestrians need some place to walk?), and it's just generally inadvisable (only pedestrians can deal with this uneven pavement, broken glass, and low-hanging vegetation; they can have it to themselves!). So I keep hauling my sign, racking up miles for the WABA Trailer's Strava account (there has to be some way I can get that thing a KOM...), and hoping things better.

[ 18. October 2013, 02:48: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

You're doing better than we have if cars aren't allowed in bike lanes. The rules here are that you're supposed to be close to the right curb so cars can go by unless there is a bike lane marked and then we get to share with the cars. Cars can park in them. They also have very narrow-on-the-shoulder-of-the-road dedicated bike lanes which are okay, but then we come to the infamous "bike lane ends" signs and there's nothing except to do the share a narrow lane with a car or, when marked, share a pathway or sidewalk with pedestrians. So sometimes I act like a car, when they let me and it's safe. I do block the car lane when I have to, to be safe. I ride on the sidewalk at times when there is only a roadway and that and I want to live. It's all commuting and getting around. No racing. No high performance. Not a recreational cycler.

I got a Kona road bike in early Sept, very nice for the snow free months. I changed out the stem and the seat & post and it now fits me well for the geek with necktie schtick. I put baskets on the front and back instead of panniers. Adds to the nerd thing. It replaced a Norco that is ready for recycling, but of course I can't throw it out. I got another Norco second hand, which I'm getting these Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires for. Expensive but after 8 years I'm going winter riding this year and it'll be less than gas would be. I'm down to 3 working bikes now. I got a bike locker for my office a month ago in preparation.

My history re injuries is mostly minor, but the one in 1987 made me stop the racing the streets and trying to better my bike computer commuting times. I t-boned a guy coming out of a parking lot. Over the hood and rolled, tore up pants and destroyed the front tire and fork. The guy seemed very decent and came to the hospital, but he lied when he gave the police report and to the insurance. Typical. Compression fractures of T5 and T6 (vertebra between the shoulder blades). The one in 2005 was me avoiding getting hit and landing with my chest on a concrete barrier for 3 broken ribs. They took forever to heal and I slept properly about a year later. So since then I have driven in the winter about 50% of the time, and done my damnedest to hitch rides and walk. Yeah, and I've got arthritis. Friggin idjit yes I am on the physical side, but it does me a world of good psychologically.

My kids bought me this t-shirt Infinity mpg city and highway. That's another reason, and of course the shirt is green.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I got a Kona road bike in early Sept, very nice for the snow free months. I changed out the stem and the seat & post and it now fits me well for the geek with necktie schtick.

I'm guessing a Sutra or Zone? Both great bikes—we have some customers who special ordered Zones and we used to stock Sutras (we're a Kona dealer, so it's not that surprising), and everyone seems to love 'em. Of course, our jokes about Kona being the kind of company who would put disc brakes and suspension forks on their road bikes are looking less like jokes and more like the next trend in the industry with every passing year...

(Note for the non-gearheads: disc brakes and suspension forks are things you typically put on mountain bikes, but, until recently, never road bikes. There are some companies putting disc brakes on their road bikes this year, however, and suspension seatposts of various designs are always a perennial Thing at trade shows. Kona is also very much a mountain bike company; we wonder if the only reason they make a carbon fiber road bike is because federal law requires US bike companies to make one, just as US breweries have to make an IPA, or if it's just that someone in upper management wanted a carbon road bike, but also wanted to use their employee discount on it. Kona is about the least carbon fiber road bike company ever—very laid back, very friendly, bikes built to last, not afraid of a little mud or rain, not a single jerk in the whole company...).

As for people parking in bike lanes: there's a reason that sign exists, and it's not because people habitually stay out of the bike lanes. There are websites devoted to shaming people parked in one of the city's main bike tracks, and a few events were dedicated to clamping down on people pulling very illegal u-turns through a median cycletrack on one of the main DC streets (Pennsylvania Avenue—the road that connects the Capitol to the White House, is always busy, and is practically a bike highway. People were not happy when a few too many people, including the ex-mayor/now city council member were found pulling illegal turns that blocked the path of commuter traffic)

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Of course, our jokes about Kona being the kind of company who would put disc brakes and suspension forks on their road bikes are looking less like jokes and more like the next trend in the industry with every passing year...

(Note for the non-gearheads: disc brakes and suspension forks are things you typically put on mountain bikes, but, until recently, never road bikes. There are some companies putting disc brakes on their road bikes this year, however, and suspension seatposts of various designs are always a perennial Thing at trade shows. …

Suspension forks on road bikes came and went in the 1990's as one of the less successful MTB innovations to be tried out on the road (although I believe there was some success in a few cobbled races), Ernesto Colnago would like to take credit for the 'went' bit.

You don't need them now that the carbon fibre layup on the forks and stays can be tailored for comfort and/or elastomer inserts added as on the new Specialized Roubaix. I get a much smoother rough road ride from the distinctive Onda "s-bend" fork and stays on my Pinarello FP2 than I did from the suspension fork on my last mountain bike!

On the other hand, disc brakes are here to stay - at Eurobike all the big manufacturers were launching production models instead of showing off concepts like they had in the past. They aren't currently permitted in sanctioned road races (cycling is a rare sport where recreational participants can readily buy better equipment than the elite competitors may use) but I'm pretty sure the UCI will certify them as soon as there is some consensus on cross-industry standards that will allow for neutral service.

Disc brakes are probably the only thing I miss from the forced replacement of my previous commuter bike (a MTB with front suspension and Tektro disc brakes) with a Scott Metrix flat-bar road bike - every single other aspect is so much nicer. The performance of discs in the wet is far superior to rim brakes (you get the braking when you want it, not after 5-10 revolutions of the calipers drying off the rim), you get better modulation and for the road bike crowd it will finally make carbon clinchers less scary.
quote:
... Kona is also very much a mountain bike company; we wonder if the only reason they make a carbon fiber road bike is because federal law requires US bike companies to make one, just as US breweries have to make an IPA, or if it's just that someone in upper management wanted a carbon road bike, but also wanted to use their employee discount on it. Kona is about the least carbon fiber road bike company ever—very laid back, very friendly, bikes built to last, not afraid of a little mud or rain, not a single jerk in the whole company...).

More likely that the Kona rep went to visit the OEM which makes their bikes in Taiwan and got offered a carbon fibre road bike model. The same company was probably already making carbon road bikes for other non-OEM brands like Specialized or Cannondale so they would have had all the tooling in place, with some tweaks to an existing mould they would have had a "brand-new design" ready to be mass-produced and stickered up as a Kona.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Mine is one of the Dews, but not stock because I did some modification both with the shop and myself. Front and rear discs yes, but suprisingly not hydraulic given the rest of it. The only weak point I found on it was the needless use of a carbon fibre seat post clamp, which I didn't realize was, and didn't use a torque wrench on. I put a quick release on it so I can easily adjust the suspension seat post I put on.

I would like to know what the theory is with Presta versus Schaeder tire valves. I didn't know Ariston was in the bike business, so now I can ask someone who probably took a course in it or something(?)

I am also working through face coverings with glasses. For the winter wind. Glasses fog up if nose is covered. Goggles or no, and I have a whole series of sport sunglasses with blind-man prescription inserts. Nothing really works, except enough wind in the face, but in cold weather, one blast of breath blown back and fog city. Nobel Prize to whomever solves this one.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

I had a Dew, and loved it. But as the Dew was a great design most companies are doing their version. Latest bike is one of these copies, a Trek 7.2 Disk with mudguards and rear rack. No lightweight commuter bike this, but has the luggage carrying capability of mule.

What I can't understand is why anyone would want to commute in the UK without mudguards.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
I had a Dew, and loved it. But as the Dew was a great design most companies are doing their version.

They're all made by the same companies in China and Taiwan, so it shouldn't be a surprise that many of the lower-end non-manufacturer brands like Kona, Cannondale, Trek and so on all have flat bar road bikes that look quite similar.

My guess would be that it was actually Giant that started the trend.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rode in the "Tour of Fiji" earlier this month: a 4-day stage race for the national championship. Not that I was a contender for such honours, being double the age of most competitors. So my self-imposed task was to tow the grupetto up hill (lots on day 2) and/or into the wind (lots on day 4). Apart from that, the weather was fine and it was a good social occasion, with a dozen locals being joined by 4 riders from Australia. More such visitors would be welcome next year.

(The race is held annually around this tine of year, with the Fiji Day public holiday on 10 October. For more info look up "Cycling Fiji" on FB. )

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

SWEET! Go you, and congratulations! Sounds like an absolute blast-and-a-half.

NP: I'm not sure if there *is* that much theory behind Schraeder/Presta, really, except that mountain bike/commuter/old skool American tires use Schraeder (you can remove the valve core pretty easily and pour in tire sealant if you live in a part of the world where goatheads and stickerbushes are so common you'd go five feet between flats without the stuff) and skinny Euro tires use the thinner Presta valves to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the skinny wheels. You can also put an adapter onto a Presta valve to make it compatible with a Schraeder air pump, which is actually pretty handy—having one air pump, one little adapter, and a tiny glueless patch kit (along with tire levers, which you were carrying anyway, right?) lets you bail out pretty much anyone you meet along the side of the road with a basic, run-of-the-mill flat.

It's the real reason you should carry both spare tubes and patch kits: the tube's only good for you, but the patches can help everyone.

As for figuring out how to keep your glasses from fogging up: good luck, and I'll second the Nobel nomination.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
I rode in the "Tour of Fiji" earlier this month: a 4-day stage race for the national championship.

I think I'm right in remembering that this in itself is unique, as the only UCI member federation to award its national road race championship in a stage race.

The closest I've come to doing that was riding a lap of the championship circuit at Buninyong during the break between the U23 men's race and the elite women's race this January. Sadly, I think at that pace I would have been dropped beyond the time limit by even the ladies after four laps.
quote:
NP: I'm not sure if there *is* that much theory behind Schraeder/Presta, really, except that mountain bike/commuter/old skool American tires use Schraeder (you can remove the valve core pretty easily and pour in tire sealant if you live in a part of the world where goatheads and stickerbushes are so common you'd go five feet between flats without the stuff) and skinny Euro tires use the thinner Presta valves to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the skinny wheels. ...

I've heard some people say that Schraeder valves have a lower maximum pressure than Presta, but I haven't been able to confirm this for myself due to the maximum rated pressures for the different tyres involved. I don't think structural integrity would come into it, the flat section through which the valve hole is drilled isn't that important for the structure and most bike shops are happy to drill it out (on metal rims at least) for customers who particularly want to use Schraeder valves.

If you're on a road bike you shouldn't be using slime in your tyres anyway, it adds a whopping great deal of rotational inertia and isn't really fit for use at high pressure. A bit like suspension seat posts, I think it's one of those things that's still on sale but only as a high profit margin upsell for gullible people who've seen the TDU go through their area and got inspired to try riding a bike but want something comfortable instead of useful.

The advantages for Presta valves that I can confirm from my experience are the variable stem lengths available, being able to screw on a locknut to keep the valve stem from disappearing through the rim (would have been useful if I had that on my old 26" MTB) and of course the bling factor of a slim valve looking far nicer on an expensive wheel than a fat car-style valve.
quote:
As for figuring out how to keep your glasses from fogging up: good luck, and I'll second the Nobel nomination.

A few drops of video camera lens cleaning fluid straight onto the glasses, then polish with a fine microfibre cloth. It's probably exactly the same stuff as the ultra-expensive fluid you see the Bolle and Oakley reps applying to the pro racers' glasses in the Tour Village before a big day of racing.

--------------------

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

Yesterday I successfully completed Amy's Ride SA* again, doing the 100km variant including a rare annual ride on the Southern Expressway.

Big improvement since last year, 36 minutes taken off my overall time despite a malignant block headwind for the majority of the route and unhelpfully annoying crosswinds on most of the other bits. Unlike last year, I also managed to keep the speedo from dropping into single figures on Australia's greatest racing hill where Simon Gerrans smashed the WorldTour field on Australia Day this year.

The legs didn't feel too bad after 100km plus the 35km ride home, though adding on a 10km hike near Mt Lofty this afternoon put me in the hurt box!

The man who had a heart attack 3km after the start last year finished it this time, but for good measure he did have Dr Bill Griggs (Accident & Emergency director at the Royal Adelaide Hospital) riding with him.

* the flagship event supporting the Amy Gillett Foundation which works for cycle safety improvements in honour of Amy Gillett, who was killed when a German woman crashed her car into our women's national team on a training ride. The AGF's CEO is the new UCI Vice-President (and former Commonwealth Champion and Australian National Champion) Tracey Gaudry.

[links checked - WW]

[ 04. November 2013, 10:48: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I can't understand is why anyone would want to commute in the UK without mudguards.

You should see some of the things people cycle without here in Oxford. Lights is a common one, I've seen any number of people with their cantilever brake arms spread wide and thus no way of stopping, but I think the commonest one people cycle without is a clue.

Yes, I am a cyclist!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
... but I think the commonest one people cycle without is a clue.

Yes, I am a cyclist!

AG

Agree.

Unfortunately I saw a fair bit of that yesterday, including:
  • riding two abreast at 20 km/h on the flat with no headwind, needlessly blocking up other cyclists and motorists on an open road section. Relax and chat at the refreshment stops FFS!
  • a spectacular clip stack by an idiot trying to take a shortcut along a footpath into a refreshment station.
  • Darwin Award candidates drafting a public bus on an open road section.
  • morons taking the racing line through corners across continuous lines on open road sections.
  • one guy taken off in an ambulance after a an incompetent drafter got too much of a tow and ran up his arse.
  • people riding past said stationary ambulance at 55+ km/h, over double the limit for passing a stationary emergency services vehicle.
  • riders descending the Willunga Hill climb which was closed for one way bike traffic.
  • Worst of all, Stravassholes racing on certain sections during what was supposed to be a participation ride. Please note - a KOM on an obnoxious antisocial networking website does not make your penis any bigger.

We were apparently blessed/burdened with the unannounced presence of Sir Pratley though! On the Whickham's Hill Road descent (not my video) I followed a rider in full Sky Procycling kit (including gloves = wanker!) who was taking very shallow lines into the corners followed by panicked braking and ending up exactly where he was looking - right on the outside edge. After the descent he then sat on my group and refused to pull a turn - just like Wiggo didn't pull a turn even once in the World Championships this year!

Generally the behaviour was quite good, but it's unfortunately far easier to list the noticeable examples of the worst behaviour than the innumerable examples of the best - such as the hundreds of calls of "car back" or "passing on the right mate" or those who did slow down at hazards like the ambulance. I can easily say I understand the average motorist who only notices the visible minority of cyclists who flout the road rules and make life hell for other road users.

[link checked - WW]

[ 05. November 2013, 01:40: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I commute by bike in the UK (London) without mudguards. Works fine for me.
Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Upthread there was a post about suspension seat posts. They cost about $15 and are worth it if your roads are anything like the freeze-thaw pothole ones we have here. Saved my back more than few times.

It is -18°C (0°F) here today. We had a blizzard on Sunday which started with rain, and finished with snow on Monday morning. Suspect we're in winter now until April per usual. I have 304 metal studs per tire and was fine warm with no problem today, going by the cars in their endless lines with drivers breathing steam and exhaust. I got home in 45 mins with the radio reporting 1˝ hours for the silly cars. There's something of happiness in beating the effing autos.

We do ride on footpaths and sidewalks (pavement) in the winter if the snow and ice makes roads unsafe. They often plow the snow into windrows at the edge of the road. Last winter some of these were 2 metres high. They take them away in the spring or if they decide they have enough budget. These ridges of snow make the roads progressively narrower and narrower. And nothing's worth safety, so on the pedestrian paths we go.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Those of you who are on facebook already know about this, but I'm engaged!
Yes, Marianne Bianchi and I are a Thing now. I've put down my deposit, and have her hanging on a hook in the back room with my name on her. Sexier than any girl I'll ever date, that's for sure...and any girl I won't, for that matter.

We're in lurve. It's furevah. I'll post wedding pictures once my celeste brake hoods and pedals come in, but here's a pretty good engagement photo of the lovely bride-to-be, abeit with the wrong group set.

I mean, really. Did YOUR girlfriend come with an 11-speed rear derailleur?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I mean, really. Did YOUR girlfriend come with an 11-speed rear derailleur?

Well, one of them, but that is a discussion for a board which no longer exists here.

Nice bike.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

But where do you put the 10 kg sack of rice and the rest of the shopping?

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

On the other bike, of course!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Health to ride it, Ariston! [Smile]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice lines - I would be jealous if I didn't already have the perfect bike for me. Being a lot shorter than you I would probably need a mounting block to get on, and resort to falling off instead of dismounting.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016