homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » invisible disabilities

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: invisible disabilities
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking a lot lately about invisible disabilities, mostly since having a major flare of whatever-the-heck-it-is* that is causing me major muscle spasms and stiffness. This is starting to become noticeable at work, though I'd be really, really unlucky for it to get bad enough to impact my desk job.

* yes, there's an official diagnosis, but this isn't about that so I won't go there.

So I'm wondering about a whole lot of questions--

When do you disclose a (normally) invisible disability to HR, and when don't you?
What disabilities can you expect to be career-ending or promotion-preventing if disclosed to HR and/or boss?
What would you do if it were you? Your family member? Your employee?

Yes, I know about ADA, but this is the real world, and chances of proving discrimination are slim unless they do something really boneheaded like announce the reason in writing. Not to mention nobody wants to hire someone who sued their last company. And they won't confess *that* either.

Have any of you got experience or knowledge with this kind of thing?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the non-US readers, ADA is the Americans with Disabilities Act.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I told my employers about my invisible disability because it came up in my job interview and I wanted them to know I could manage it, and how I could ask them for support to help me manage it. And all was good and went well.

But if the culture of a company or its employees suggest it might be used as a stick to beat you with, I'd be very wary of disclosing. And if you've got the same boss you've spoken about on the boards before... well!

Are there any concrete things the company could do to help you with your disability? Specific things you could ask for? That might go down better than something more nebulous than disclosing a disability.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my case, no. I mention it only because it brought this topic to mind.

I have a girlfriend at a non-hostile firm who nevertheless refuses to disclose asthma, in spite of the possibility that she could need emergency help with it at some point. She believes it would damage her chances of getting ahead, or even being retained in hard times. And she's a very level-headed person, not given to freaking out like me.

I wonder how this kind of culture can be turned around. Unionization, maybe?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No "maybe" about it.

If you aren't in a union, don't complain about your rights at work.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

That might be sensible on your side of the pond, but over here, there simply is no union representation available for many (maybe even most) workers.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting discussion.
My daughter has a genetic condition. One that could impact on her ability to do things, but hasn't so far. Should she disclose this to an employer or not? I have had asthma in the past. It doesn't impact on me at the moment, but if it should, could my employer then state that as I failed to disclose significant information, my employment contract is now invalid?
I guess it might depend on the employer!

--------------------
Less is more ...

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Our industry has no unionization. A lot of them here don't. And while one can say, "then start one," that idea depends on the first organizer having the energy and ability to tackle the job. Which means, er, not being disabled. At least with many disabilities.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Clarity, bleah. That should read "with many kinds of disabilities."

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

The subject is even more on my mind since we lost a rising star in the company today, to what is apparently being characterized as psych disability. Though it is not at all clear that the problem was pre-existing. (No, not my dept)

[ 11. October 2013, 23:32: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do a lot of work professionally in this area, but I'm in Canada. The rules we have are (1) employers are not allowed diagnosis nor diagnostic info, and it may be contrary to privacy legislation for them to ask or have a form signed by the employer for the disclosure of the info.
(2) Employers are entitled to job restrictions such as hours of work possible, functions to avoid. Note that this is not 'duties' but physical or mental activities: 'can't lift more than 10 lbs once per hour', not 'can't do paper filing' (3) employers who cannot show hardship must work with the employee under 'duty to accommodate' legislation. In practice something like 15 or more employees means DTA applies. (Unions if they exist may have to cooperate, with their seniority rules as a secondary issue, but that's not relevant for you.) (4) Cooperation and good faith is required.

I would probably have a look at the privacy legislation applying both federally and state-wise for starters. There should be something in your HIPPA (or whatever your's is called - health info privacy protection act) which governs both disclosure and not disclosing. The find out what the labour standards are for accommodating and not. If you have disability insurance of any kind at all, ask the insurance company for assistance if they are at all decent. Otherwise, talk to someone in the insurance industry, like an insurance broker about the rules. If they insure disability they will have a vocational and return to work (RTW) dept. Employers here also are required to have someone be the RTW person.

I would specifically not tell boss or HR until you can determine the rules and what they are allowed to know.

As well as working in the area and trying to get 'best practices' to be used by others. I have disclosed on these boards that I have an arthritic condition and related eye problem. One the reasons I got involved in this area of consulting work is because of the difficulties I faced with it.

It might also help to find someone who has advocated about disability, many of these people are self-help types of people but they can be a dandy resource.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would note that it is clearly discrimination to have someone lose their job because of a disability, but the real world contains this all the time. Consult and ask. Talk to medical people. I have had people with all sorts of physical and psych diagnoses stay at work, sometimes not disclosing and sometime disclosing, but for us, only restrictions and limitations. I might as well add to my other post, that I also have had my own psychological issues. Both physical and psychological issues are common, and they are often experienced as one increasing the trouble with the other.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Oh, I'm not disclosing, that decision is made. the only real effect my conditon has on my job is to make people say "what happened to HER?" when I suddenly start limping noticeably. And in a desk job, that's not credible as a hardship to the company.

But it made me think about the bigger issue. Cancer, for instance. Or anything you have a choice about hiding. I once hid major surgery by claiming truthfully it was my kid's vacation. I think rather a lot of people may be doing this.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything "they" are vaguely scared of, you don't disclose. Scared of because "they" fear it means you are mentally unreliable, or because the causes are not clear and "they" vaguely fear it's somehow contagious or because it's progressive which threatens their security dream of a future that will stay similar to the present. The unknown is scary.

Eyesight, hearing problems, back aches, normal. Parkinsons or MS or any other degenerative disease of unknown cause, I wouldn't say. Bipolar (controlled with drugs), nope.

Not until you need a "reasonable accommodation" as defined by ADA to do the core duties of the job. Until then, "why are you limping?" Mutter some vague joke about an "old ski injury acting up must be the weather"?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{{{{{{{LC}}}}}}}

You might find the Invisible Disabilities site useful.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a few invisible disabilities. (ADHD, dyslexia, asthma, IBS)

I don't disclose them. That doesn't mean they are mild, it just means I spend a lot of time and effort using coping strategies, then recovering after a day at work.

But disclosure doesn't help at all - it simply gives people a reason to discriminate (if that's what the want to do) If people are good and fair they will be anyway.

If that makes sense?

I am lucky 'tho. Those with visible disabilities don't have the choice not to disclose.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC,

It is all about the nature of the HR dept. one works with. The best represent the law and company official policy as objectively as possible, favouring neither the employee nor the employer. The worst represent the company at the expense of the employee.
The practical advice is to work out where on the scale one's particular dept. exists.
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
No "maybe" about it.

Not this simple anywhere. Union representation is not guarantee against discrimination nor guarantee of help.
Not a simple on/off switch in any case, but this is a discussion for elsewhere.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Interesting about HR departments. I haven't worked in more than two places that had them, so my experience is limited.

Thanks for the website--was browsing it while at the doctor's today.

As for excuses--i mostly tell inquirers that an old surfing injury is acting up. Which has the merit of being partially true. Plus it's fun to see their eyes bug out as they try to reconcile that with the middle aged frump before their eyes!

Sigh. Truth is so inconvenient. I would love to tell them it was a circus injury, or maybe from my days in the Special Forces.

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've yet to come across an HR department that's been of any benefit to anyone...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen ours be useful, not consistently though ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a lot of job hunting to do a few years ago, and could never conclusively prove overt discrimination. However, I spent six years on a General Assembly Special Committee, six years on a national board and even served as chairman for a few months. In the middle of all that, I served a year as moderator of the presbytery. But a mention of any one of those things is certain death to a job application. There's a limit to how much you can dress it up as "a responsible position in a national charitable organization" and things like that - people want specifics, until they actually get them. In the end, I concluded that I'd have been better lying on my CV and simply saying I'd spent six years in jail - the law won't let them discriminate against that. It was a large piece of my life that I couldn't ever mention to a prospective employer. I've never regretted doing any of those things, though I sometimes wonder if the cost was worth it.

A bad mistake was to let the HR department at an employer know that I had a rather nasty allergy. The manager didn't want any more life insurance payouts and said so, and when it was layoff time my number came up pretty quickly. I don't know why people accuse me of being paranoid.

A local minister's wife was told by colleagues that she should "leave that stuff at home". So she had a hidden disability too. It's a problem.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always disclosed my (very well controlled) bipolar disorder as I was a nurse and I had to ensure that I was not a risk to my patients. I've found hospital occupational health departments very supportive. I now work for the open university and have told my manager as I feel she should know in case it affects my work (and consequently my students' studies) and I'm open to colleagues and friends about it so that they understand some of my quirks.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Well fuck. In one of those "you couldn't make this shit up" moments, my surgeon's office just faxed back to HR the FMLA documents they wanted--AND A COMPLETE MEDICAL LIFE HISTORY INCLUDING ALL MEDS, UNDISCLOSED EMBARRASSING CONDITIONS AND A BLOW BY BLOW DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THEY FOUND THE LAST TIME THEY OPENED ME UP. When I asked ever so gently "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!!!!! they replied huffily that HR would need it all to process my FMLA papers. Hell no they won't, not details of my hemmorhoids and my miscarriage and my post traumatic stress disorder, which have absofuckinglutely nothing to do with my job OR my surgery. God bless the HR secretary who grabbed it as soon as I called and shredded the lot. Champagne and roses for you, my friend. Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

That's a medical privacy complaint in most jurisdictions. At the very least n(and what I start with in such cases), a meeting with the medical people to ask if they are familiar with appropriate legislation and ethics about such matters etc. (the etc can be whatever you need it to be.)

Sorry to hear of the unneeded stress.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
When do you disclose a (normally) invisible disability to HR, and when don't you?

if you can keep it to yourself, do. Disclose if you need special adjustments made for you at work. I once had to insist that the air-exchange be kept on at my theater (I'm heat sensitive due to MS) despite them wanting to save money, so I disclosed. I needed that to be able to perform. they grumbled, I mentioned the ADA, they capitulated. it worked, that time.

However, I was also "niced" right out of a job by a boss who didn't understand my disability so just kept taking my responsibilities away from me and cutting me out of decisions that were under my job description, supposedly to try and help me but in reality to sweep me under the rug. it became intolerable and after about two years of that crap I quit. it was miserable. so I say, only disclose if you have to, and when you do, make it a private meeting and don't disclose too much and don't whine. just say, "I have X diagnosis/chronic symptom, and because of that, I will need Y accommodation." At the most, a print-out from WebMD or something giving a basic fact sheet on the disease to avoid them just "knowing" that you're going to go crazy or pee on the floor or whatever else they've "heard" about your illness. and then just leave it at that.
quote:
What disabilities can you expect to be career-ending or promotion-preventing if disclosed to HR and/or boss?

any of them; it depends on the boss. a lot of people think they know all about various illnesses because of popular press or watching House or whatever. you have to be your own advocate, which means educating those around you about what accommodations your disability actually needs, and what they can truly expect to happen.

My ex husband really, really believed that MS would make me gain hundreds of pounds. the other symptoms he was not concerned about, but heaven forbid I get fat. This of course is patently untrue; but he believed it (some friend told him, I'm sure) and it precipitated his sabotaging our relationship 2 months after my diagnosis.

people believe the craziest stuff.

as a side note - don't assume that because you have a desk job you don't have to worry about accommodations. I can no longer hack a desk job at all, but can manage 10-12 hour shifts on my feet with the right accommodations. every disability is different, and there are lots of things we can still do, we just have to find them.

generally, though - if you have to disclose, take an objective approach, don't overdisclose, and work like a stevedore on the things you can do. We have to prove ourselves x10 because people fear what they don't understand. it sucks; but it's the reality. suck it up, put a smile on, and crank it out.

I'm pulling for you.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Truth is so inconvenient. I would love to tell them it was a circus injury, or maybe from my days in the Special Forces.

I like "circus injury"! [Big Grin]

I haven't disclosed to my current employer; it have very little if any bearing on this job. However, while away with my students at a tournament a lot of leg pain started up and I was limping. I just told my kids that I have a neurological issue that causes random leg pain, and that they had no reason to worry but that we'd be taking a taxi rather than walking when we went out to eat. just say things very matter-of-factly and drop it and people are usually too awkward about it to pry. then I'm still not lying, which I personally find important.

I also was limping due to a bum knee, which I could honestly say was an injury from dancing on and jumping off a bar. which is a great story in some settings, but probably not with high school kids!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Comet, your ex-husband and ex-boss suck dead bears. But you knew that.

I have an appointment with a rheumatologist coming up, and hope to get some more clarity about what's wrong with me and what I can expect of the future.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
That's a medical privacy complaint in most jurisdictions. At the very least n(and what I start with in such cases), a meeting with the medical people to ask if they are familiar with appropriate legislation and ethics about such matters etc. (the etc can be whatever you need it to be.)

Sorry to hear of the unneeded stress.

Thanks. I'll doubtless say something to 'my surgeon, but AFTER he puts away the sharp shiny things. The better part of valor and all that.

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, yes...

I'm thinking about this for my son, though as a diabetic he doesn't get a choice, not disclosing could put him and others at risk. Having seen at first hand the mad things a hypoglicemic adult can do, I'd never want him to hide it.

My daughter has an eating disorder, and no one discriminates, but neither do they take it seriously. Weird.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I disclose my asthma - but say everywhere it's mild. But I have one or two triggers that do sometimes occur in my working environment and it's better that I say upfront that it's there so when I collapse in a coughing heap when the teenage boys start spraying their antiperspirant sprays I've declared. I don't think it's ever been written up.

But it's usually an object lesson for said teenage boys: that we're not kidding when we tell them not to spray their smelly stuff because it really can be dangerous to some people. They only usually do it once around me.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are so many places over here that are "scent-free zones" that I sometimes wonder how much longer the Purveyors of Posh Pongs (and un-posh ones) will keep going.

I'm not asthmatic, but there are some scents which really make me feel quite unwell* - usually either by making my eyes stream or giving me a headache. I feel very awkward asking people not to wear them, but if I'm going to be in their close proximity (at work, in the choir or whatever) I just have to bite the bullet.

* not even necessarily ones where I don't like the smell, although in the case of Youth Dew it was a bit of both ... [Projectile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! What is wrong with people that they have to spray on such virulent honking crap??? My mother. And to stay and nearly caused me to stop breathing. Jeez.
Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
I have had asthma in the past. It doesn't impact on me at the moment, but if it should, could my employer then state that as I failed to disclose significant information, my employment contract is now invalid?
I guess it might depend on the employer!

Technically you could be subject to discipline as you failed to mention something that might be significant to your employment. In that case you'd not be able to claim discrimination for a disability as you were being disciplined for non disclosure of a potentially material fact.

I suffer from the invisible disability of crippling migraines (at its worst loss of sight, hearing disturbance, multiple projectile vomiting). I always disclose even though most migraines are what I'd call levels 1 to 3 (pain in the head) and not majorly disruptive to life and limb.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I'm not asthmatic, but there are some scents which really make me feel quite unwell* - usually either by making my eyes stream or giving me a headache.

I am allergic to orris root, which is used in some cosmetics and in potpourri. If I walk in to a place where I smell potpourri, I get out of there fast.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo--

If you're sensitive to orris root, then avoid pomander balls. (Oranges studded with cloves and dipped in orris root. [OR is a preservative. IIRC. there are other things that can be used.] Very old way to freshen closets, dresser drawers, and the like.)

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Moo--

If you're sensitive to orris root, then avoid pomander balls.

I can sense the presence of orris root immediately. I get pain in my sinuses.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
Gosh, yes...

I'm thinking about this for my son, though as a diabetic he doesn't get a choice, not disclosing could put him and others at risk. Having seen at first hand the mad things a hypoglicemic adult can do, I'd never want him to hide it.

My daughter has an eating disorder, and no one discriminates, but neither do they take it seriously. Weird.

I don't disclose diabetes prior to getting a job unless asked something directly such a way that it would be dishonest not to disclose it. Had type 1 diabetes since infancy, never done anything "mad" at work (well not that I can attribute to diabetes anyway).
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are some invisible disabilities which are more acceptable than others. I have learnt that if I disclose my Aspergers on an application form for a job, I am unlikely to get the job or even an interview, despite having an excellent CV, and lots of relevant experience and qualifications - even if I say positive things about my Aspergers, like how it gives me an insight when working with children on the autism spectrum. People have stereotyped expectations of what I will be like as a person and whether I will be able to cope with various different things. With conditions like diabetes and asthma, if they can be easily managed, people generally separate the individual from the condition, but with something like Aspergers, which affects how your mind works, people often see the individual as fundamentally flawed.

I didn't disclose it when I applied for my current job, and got the job easily, and do well at it. It's frustrating though, because I feel I shouldn't have to hide who I am, and my Aspergers is an intrinsic part of who I am and how I process the world. In theory at least, it would be useful to tell people so that they understand better how to read me. And also I could openly use my own experience to give colleagues insight into why the autistic children we work with might be behaving in a certain way.

I did disclose it to Occupational Health - I had to fill in an Occupational Health after I got the job, and before I started the job, and there was a very specific question about whether you have certain disabilities, and it lists a few, including Aspergers. So Occupational Health phoned me to ask me questions to ensure I was fit to do the job. They saw no problems and they don't disclose to my employers unless I would ask them to, and told me I have no obligation to disclose to anyone in my workplace.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my former bureaucratic life, I worked with several invisibly disabled colleagues and was astonished with the wide range of responses they got from managers, all the way from one supervisor announcing that she was uncomfortable dealing with staff who had diabetes or mental health issues (both of which were sitting at the table as she told us this) and didn't know what to do, to performance-demanding supportive angels. Dragged on to the departmental diversity committee, I saw that our HR department was unbelieveably wonderful in supporting employees, but had (shall we call it) a challenge in educating some managers. Happily, we had a series of (in many respects awful, but in this one good) permanent department heads who made it clear that brownie points went to managers who worked at making provisions for employees, and none at all to those who victimized staff (and it happened and probably still does).

Some difficulties were not be easily managed, such as the above-mentioned likelihood that an openly whatever applicant, should things be close at hiring time, would not be favoured or even considered fairly. I saw this more than once in the hiring process and challenging such instances this did not get me any friends, one board member collaring me and lecturing me how ratcheting up his team's performance was key and a gimp (his word) was not going to help. I suppose I should not have responded by saying that it would, provided the gimp in question had a good manager. Custody of the tongue has always been a problem for me.

Federal government managers liked it when staff had a proven capacity at volunteer work outside, even in churches, although they liked it even better when it was in the past. Most knew that competence was not divisable, and someone who could handle committees or communications for their NGO could do so inside. It did prove a barrier for promotion to executive levels for, as one devoutly Jewish manager said, it suggested that one had other priorities (family etc) which would interfere in 24/7 availability and one might, in some circumstances, make a moral decision not in line with departmental and overall government priorities.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those who know me also know that I have very visible disabilities. I struggled through employment for literally the first half of my career, but I asked no quarter. Neither did I give any, particularly when one ossified human resources officer and my then manager attempted to put me on permanent disability five years into my career. I called in the union and they agreed that I had a case. No more was heard. I recognised early on that I would go far on merit because most of the managers saw only disability.

To compensate for this I threw myself into the community's volunteer pool and eventually also the union, both local and national. By the end of my working life (which happened under my terms, not anyone else's) I was sometimes working at two (and for one month three) levels above my substantive level for extended periods of time. When I retired I could have papered a wall with awards for my work. But I was still at the working level I attained back in 1979. Regardless of what my managers might have thought (and they did not hesitate to tell me so), in the end they received more than 100% effort from me. Thankfully, this was not difficult, as, at most, they, themselves, worked at 75% effort.

A frustrating career, but I made the best of it I could.

[ 19. October 2013, 13:12: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My disability switches from being invisible to visible depending if I use the wheel chair. I've always declosed it because I need extra help and people to understand what's going on. Nowadays I'm not at work, but it can still get complicated and my disabilities are disclosed to Alec's work so that he can support me if needed, and also housemates work, for similar reasons.

Alec's work are awesome about it, and as he is away all the damn time at the moment and I was getting worse they let me travel down to wales in the work van with him and his collegue and stay with him in the hotel for the week. As he was working with a woman and therefore had a room to himself it didn't cost us anything apart from food, and I had a nice relaxing week.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Drat. Hardly able to walk this morning. Good thing boss has been away. I hope this is mostly due to an ill-advised camping trip!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... an ill-advised camping trip ...

Is there any other sort? [Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes. If you leave the tent at home or the site loses your booking at a busy time of year you may have to stay in a B&B or hotel. Wouldn't that be a tragedy?

(Mind you, we've been on plenty of camping holidays, but I'll never do so again in Britain. If it isn't the weather or crap facilities it's owners who really are Camp Commandants.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

At least Mr. Lamb got stuck being there on the night it rained [Devil] (we traded places the next day). He still won't shut up about it.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
quote:

Yes. If you leave the tent at home or the site loses your booking at a busy time of year you may have to stay in a B&B or hotel. Wouldn't that be a tragedy?

(Mind you, we've been on plenty of camping holidays, but I'll never do so again in Britain. If it isn't the weather or crap facilities it's owners who really are Camp Commandants.)

Come to Canada. There no owners, and it is possible to camp pretty much anywhere in the north, where ever you want, for nothing. Best idea is to choose somewhere where the people before you were careful with food. Bears. Or you can car camp at a national or provincial park, and you'll pay so you can sit on a potty and have a shower.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
you can sit on a potty and have a shower.

The condensed bathroom experience.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I can join this thread because I look perfectly fine, but then when I can't walk, people can see there is something wrong. I now have to order a disability hotel room every time we go on a trip. I can't get my knees and back into bathtubs anymore.
I have good days and bad days. I now am a human barometer when rain or snow is coming. (No more Weather Channel for me, I don't need to see a forecast. [Killing me] )
I don't tend to tell anyone, but thank GOD for handicapped blue tags for my car. Less steps to a door really helps on the bad days.

Darn, I hate getting old, it has really cut down on my productivity.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
you can sit on a potty and have a shower.

The condensed bathroom experience.
I believe cabins on Amtrak trains have a similar arrangement.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Forget Amtrak, This is a very convenient arrangements in many Indian homes and hotel rooms.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016