homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » dontknow-ist

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: dontknow-ist
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be a whole list of things, but now I don't know. I aspire to be an atheist - or even an agnostic - because at least then I'd be something definable. As it stands, I'm just a whole heap of don't-know.

Is it just me? Anyone else out there who doesn't know even how to define what they don't believe in?

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it would be far easier to convert to atheism.

I've tried, but can't let go of God. Some would say God won't let go of me ...

I am very cross with God just now, if S/he exists [Mad]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you be a believer in something you don't know? I sometimes think I'm a wee bit Taoist. My paganism is of the pragmatic sort common to the Irish peasantry in which, while you may not necessarily believe in any specific Púca, Sidhe, Tuatha, genii loci etc, there's no point in getting on the wrong side of them.

Because of my background and cultural experience, Christianity has to be my religion of choice for disbelieving in.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Because of my background and cultural experience, Christianity has to be my religion of choice for disbelieving in.

Well put. [Big Grin]

Yeah, I was going through a similar examination of faith, based on musings on the function of religion provoked by a really cool NPR radio program on the "Sunday Assembly" movement. Basically, I want to check it out, but fear (ironically) that my status as a Christian will make things awkward for everyone.

Or is it that I am afraid on some level that I will see evidence that spiritual activity can happen in ways that are beyond my assumptions?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that's unlikely, Kelly. If it is the same thing as I've read about here in the UK, one of the recent meetings was arranged by a Christian.

Personally, I can't think of anything worse - all the trappings of church without the actual certainties of religion. Just bad singing and boredom in a large room.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:
I aspire to be an atheist - or even an agnostic - because at least then I'd be something definable. As it stands, I'm just a whole heap of don't-know.

Why isn't 'agnostic' suitable in your cas?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
pydseybare: I aspire to be an atheist - or even an agnostic - because at least then I'd be something definable.
I think being definable is overrated sometimes.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
I aspire to be an atheist - or even an agnostic - because at least then I'd be something definable. As it stands, I'm just a whole heap of don't-know.

Why isn't 'agnostic' suitable in your cas?
I guess I see agnostic as a settled position and I'm not sure that I want to be defined as not-sure. It is like others say, I need to have something not to believe in.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I suppose there are resigned agnostics and questioning agnostics. But they're both still agnostics, at least to me.

Culturally speaking, it seems possible to be an atheist and a Christian, so it must be possible to be an agnostic and a Christian. Belief isn't the issue so much as a simple fascination with religious symbols and ideas. It seems quite common among novelists and other kinds of artistic people.

I'm a Christian who finds the road very hard, but sometimes I feel (cynically?) that someone has to maintain the faith, if only so that future generations of non-religious people have some of these symbols and ideas to potter around in and pilfer. Someone must remain who still believes in them, or else what power will they have in novels, pop songs, paintings, oaths, etc.?

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that's unlikely, Kelly.

Who knows?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go with you, Kell. Though I'd insist on a tomato fight or something afterward to make up for boredom.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I didn't say anything about boredom. [Big Grin]

Having said that, you might be on to something, because, for me at least, a lot of questions about the spiritual nature of man are answered for me via Holi, tomato fights, and mud puddle wrestling. You can just see the glow of the Divine on people's faces after an hour or so of that stuff. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016