homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » "I need a coffee"? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: "I need a coffee"?
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you addicted and does it matter?
Regardless of recession, expensive coffee shops continue to appear and do well.

Would having to go without make you unhappy?
If you are a self-confessed addict, what would happen if you went without for a day?

According to the Daily Mail , a mug of tea is 75mg, 500-600mp/day can lead to the same effects as withdrawal.

Insomnia
Nervousness
Restlessness
Irritability
Stomach upset
Fast heartbeat
Muscle tremors

Wiki lists various positive effects so maybe non-drinkers should be encouraged more?

Personally I find the smell makes me want to drink some, even telling myself "I need a coffee", but I find that if I just walk away so does the perceived need. But I enjoy both coffee & tea, except in really hot weather, so in moderation it's a blessing from God, not a curse.
It stimultates / refreshes and seems to make people feel good and promote interaction and business, as it has always done:

...in the major cities of England, Austria, France, Germany and Holland, coffee houses were quickly becoming centers of social activity and communication. In England 'penny universities' sprang up, so called because for the price of a penny one could purchase a cup of coffee and engage in stimulating conversation. By the mid-17th century, there were over 300 coffee houses in London, many of which attracted patrons with common interests, such as merchants, shippers, brokers and artists. Many businesses grew out of these specialized coffee houses. Lloyd's of London, for example, came into existence at the Edward Lloyd's Coffee House.

(source)

Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't need a coffee.

I need another coffee.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came down this morning to the aroma of ground coffee from the filter machine. Very tempting, but I can't drink it now, gives me heart palpitations. [Frown] Nearest I can manage is decaff from a jar .. Not the same thing at all.

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love coffee. I don't need it - I'm better without it, as the caffeine affects me badly, so I have no more than five cups of coffee per week. I love going to coffee shops though - I can see how they are doing well in the recession, because they are somewhere where you can sit on comfy sofas for hours and use free WiFi, just for the price of a cup of coffee (albeit overpriced!). You have the sense of going out and treating yourself, rather than staying home. Way cheaper than the cinema, or going out for a meal.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drink redbush tea - no caffeine, and I love it.

BUT I have one lovely frothy coffee every day at 10:30 (now!) with a read of the Ship.

I would miss that one!

[Smile]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always put coffee with milk and sweetness too. I got told at the hospital to drink at least one a day to help me! Wow! I have one always at lunchtime.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my morning coffee, it has to be 'proper' coffee, in buckets. And yes I am addicted, if I don't get it I have a withdrawal migraine.

Coffee................

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As NJA mentions "Many businesses grew out of these specialized coffee houses. Lloyd's of London, for example, came into existence at the Edward Lloyd's Coffee House."

I don't think it is a coincidence that coffee drinking became popular at a time of growth in business and trade. Lloyd's and other trading centres can appear staffed by people on a caffeine high and I suspect this was more so before computer-guided trading.

Now, where's my mug .....

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now, where's my mug ..... [/QB]
Here!

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's morning here, and I'm currently going through the "I need coffee to be able to make coffee" paradox.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a coffee maker that makes one cup at a time. First thing in the morning I have coffee with chicory.

Around ten, I have flavored coffee with real whipped cream. This is one of my favorite forms of self-indulgence.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have coffee three time a week at the mall, as a reward for going to my exercise program. And then, two cups every other week when my housekeeper is here (She does all the heavy, miserable cleaning I can't cope with, not the everyday stuff).

Otherwise I drink tea. Black, green, white pekoe, darjeeling, ginger pekoe, chai, tisanes, anyone?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Otherwise I drink tea. Black, green, white pekoe, darjeeling, ginger pekoe, chai, tisanes, anyone?

I like coffee, but I love tea. Even herbals, sorry Professor Elemental..

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea addict here, though I do drink coffee on mornings when some client crisis has deprived me of sleep the night before. Home brew, drunk black, to get me through the usual 6 a.m. chaos of re-scheduling everything because a staffer's out sick.

Otherwise, I drink strong tea, with lemon and sugar. I drink it all morning, have another tall mug at 4 p.m., and one after supper (sometimes before bed, too), but the latter ones are with milk.

I don't think it's withdrawal, but I get sad & cranky without my tea. The 4 p.m. one especially is my comfort fix.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not addicted to caffeine. It's just physically painfully to go without coffee in the morning.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I am a caffeine addict. I've had to give up coffee because of caffeine sensitivity but I love going out for a decaff* coffee and cake at the weekends (decaff mocha and I'm happy).

I'm also semi-addicted to dark chocolate. I can kick the habit for a few days or even a couple of weeks, but not permanently.

* It never is 100% decaff but it's at a level I can handle.

[ 26. October 2013, 13:42: Message edited by: Ariel ]

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually arrive at work 15 to 20 minutes before the shift starts, the reason is that gives me time for a cappuccino. It is only after that that I can function well enough to do the job.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me some time to realise that the terrible headaches I used to get while I was away at re-enacting shows were caused by drinking water all weekend rather than coffee. I tried to give it up, and did for a while, but now I just make sure that I go off and have a non-Medieval coffee once a day over the weekend.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee with chicory, mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not addicted, but a cup in the morning helps me face the pain of reading certain authors.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't like the taste, don't like the pretentiousness that goes with it, and positively hate the idea of becoming addicted.

Smells nice though.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My working day always seemed to go amiss if I didn't have a cup of coffee when I got to the office.
A friend of ours in college used to drink filter coffee. He'd start off with one scoop in the filter, and gradually work up to about 6 scoops to make one mug of coffee. He'd then go cold turkey before starting the cycle again. [Eek!]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I realised I was addicted when I joined my husband on a trip he'd organised for students on his new religious movements course. I'd had my usual three or four mugs of coffee by the time we set out after lunch to drive to Bhaktivedanta Manor, just north of London, to stay overnight with the Hare Krishnas. They generously provided us with breakfast in the morning, and that was fine, except I rather missed my coffee (they don't drink tea or coffee). Ah well. Then we set off round the M25 for the London Mormon Temple. I was starting to feel slightly headachy, and some of the students complained of headaches too.

We got to the Temple Visitors' Centre, to be welcomed warmly, - with Barleycup and herb tea, suitably caffeine-free Mormon drinks. By this time I was feeling really ill, sat there through the videos about the joys of Mormonism they showed us with my eyes closed, and finally had to head for the ladies' loo where I threw up (it was right next to the auditorium so everyone could hear me [Eek!] ). I huddled in the back of the minibus for the last stage of the journey, to visit the Scientology HQ at East Grinstead.

Whatever you think of Scientologists, there is at least one thing they're very good at, and that's brewing strong coffee. A kind Scientologist took me to somewhere I could lie down and made me coffee - several cups, in fact, until I felt human again. The rest of the party got coffee, too, before we set off home, so we all recovered. But my husband never tried taking students on a similar trip again...

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Sioni tried to ditch coffee and caffeine years ago when she was diagnosed with arthritis. We checked the do's and don'ts and caffeine was firmly in the latter so she dropped coffee, cola and all similar drinks. It was OK for about 12 hours, then the nausea, headaches and tetchiness set it and it was hell for another two days until she decided that everyone had suffered enough. I suppose that makes it a dependency rather than an addiction.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea is my main beverage in the mornings, but I have become very fond of having an iced coffee afterwards.

I went to D Donuts for a while, but that was expensive. Then I found that Mickey D's iced coffee was pretty good, and only a dollar!

My joy was complete when I found iced coffee in cartons at my local grocery! [Yipee] It's not the best, but I doctor it a little with sweet cream, and really enjoy my little treat which is also less expensive!

Should I buy one of those Keurig things, or not?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been drinking daily coffee since I was probably 14 or so. my mother is a coffee snob. Her family were all coffee snobs. I became a coffee snob. My daughter is a coffee snob and now works at a professional roastery as their head barista. We're basically a pretty hardcore lot.

And yet - at times when I'm broke and out of coffee, I get bitchy about it but I've never gotten the headache or nausea other people do. which surprises the hell out of me because I'm a very habitual drinker and I certainly do crave the stuff, I've just never had withdrawl. and I'd rather go without than buy cheap robusta.

I tend to always purchase from small local roasteries; none of the big national brands really cut it by the time I can get them, I assume it's a freshness issue. If I have to choose a national brand it would probably be Peet's from San Francisco. But generally, I'll find the local roastery and hunt down their best through trial and error. The best coffee in my somewhat limited experience is Alaskan (with the exception of Lava Java in Maui. Hawaiians seem to "get it", too. The peabody beans in HI are outstanding.) While I've not been all over the world by any modern standards, I can say that I've not found coffee that matches AK coffee in Seattle or Paris, at least.

At home: piping hot from a press, black. if I'm reheating a cold cup I'll add heavy cream or coconut oil. out and about: if the beans are good, espresso or americano (with about half the water they usually add) sometimes with a glop of heavy cream or a latte if I need the calories. no sugar or syrups. ruins everything!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was getting cancer treatment I didn't touch coffee for a month and didn't miss it. Then one day I felt like it again, and was soon back to six or more mugs a day when I'm working at home. If I'm away from home the lack of coffee doesn't bother me, mostly because I prefer my own brew and never drink it in the car. If I can't get to sleep at night, or wake up in the night, I'll often read for half an hour, drink a mug of coffee, and then go back to sleep soundly. No - I'm not addicted...

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a mocha when I arrive at work, but apart from that, I don't really like coffee. For the rest of the day, I drink tea. The smell of coffee makes me feel sick - the last time I went to New York, I thought I was pregnant, but it was just the smell of coffee that seemed to be everywhere first thing in the morning.

Earlier this year, I went to an Amy Grant concert in London and was caught in roadworks on the way back. By the time I got on the motorway, it was the wee small hours of the morning and I was worried about falling asleep at the wheel, so I stopped at the services and bought a triple shot cappucino. It kept me wide awake all the way home - and for the rest of the night, when I was desperately trying to sleep! I finally felt the caffeine leave my body at 10:30 the next morning. That was a fun day at work!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

ive!

Should I buy one of those Keurig things, or not?

The church office where I work part-time has recently acquired a Keurig 'thing.'
Plusses: It's convenient and very easy to operate.
There seems to be quite a variety of coffee (and tea) blends available for it.
Minusses: I think (though I don't know for certain) that the coffee pod thingys are rather expensive.
My biggest complaint however is that the coffee doesn't taste 'brewed.' The effect is more of brown hot water than real coffee.

I still keep using it, though.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I alternate between a drip coffee maker and a French press. My wife has one of those Keurig jobbers. I hardly ever use the Keurig machine. Neither, come to think of it, does my wife.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I mentioned above, I have an electric drip coffee maker that makes one cup.

I like it because I can blend whatever kind of coffee I want. AIUI with a Keurig you have to buy pre-measured coffee, and the choice is much narrower than if you were using loose coffee.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone got one of these Aerobie Aeropress thingies? Is it as good as the reviews on Amazon seem to suggest?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is a French press the same as a cafetiere? Because that is always my preference - low tech, most ground coffee works with it and it brews properly. My housemates have a filter coffee machine that I am welcome to use (these are not as common in the UK as in the US) but I rather prefer using a cafetiere - not least because you can get single person ones.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Is a French press the same as a cafetiere?

So I hear.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the day I don't mind good instant, although at home I'll use a cafetiere.

But first thing in the morning its the old-fashioned two part percolator on the hob with Greek coffee - I suppose the first cup is the equivalent of a quadruple espresso?

The plus side of the cafetiere and percolator is that the grounds go onto azaleas which love them.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee has taken the place of tobacco in Britain.

Five or ten years ago smoking was seen as normal and practised by a broad cross-section of society, whereas drinking coffee in the street looked silly, verging on bad manners. Now the opposite is true.

As a non coffee/tea drinker (I genuinely can't see the point of it) I feel increasingly left out of social interaction when it seems to revolve around coffee. It seems that church and secular business meetings increasingly revolve around a coffee fix for the majority. Actually I don't mind if people choose to drink coffee, but I do object to the declining availability at meetings of other drink options such as good drinking water or orange juice/squash, compared to a few years ago.

On a positive note, at least the 1960s/70s pursuit of time-wasting coffee mornings shows no sign of being resurrected.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another percolator user here.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ah I'm sorry. I just found out that what I'm using isn't called a percolator but a moka pot.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Until I moved to Canada I really only drank coffee after meals in restaurants (and not always then). However, since I moved here, I've discovered Timmy's™ and as there's a branch at w*rk, I usually buy myself a cup when I get in.

I don't think I can be properly addicted though: I've just realised that I haven't had any coffee at all today and I don't feel any ill-effects. When we go back to the UK on holiday I might not have any for nearly three weeks, and although we might make a bee-line for Timmy's as soon as we're through Canadian customs, it's more out of habit than actual necessity.

At home we both drink Earl Grey tea; we've got a couple of cafetières but only use them when we have visitors.

eta: Apparently during the war, Norwegians would say, "when the war is over a ship will come bearing coffee, and then a ship will come bearing the King, and then another ship will come bearing coffee." Mind you, Norwegian coffee is very good. [Smile]

[ 27. October 2013, 00:13: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Scandinavians also drink a staggering amount of it.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee is one of the proofs of the existence of a benign deity. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I brew my coffee, when I drink it -- not that often -- either in a ceramic drip cone with filter or my all-stainless-steel cafetiere / French press. Wouldn't have a Keurig as a gift. I have a phobia about plastics in combo with hot water. I swear I can taste something toxic afterward.

And with tea, I brew it from loose leaves in a scalded china pot. No bags.

One thing I miss, though. Years ago, I had a little "tea egg," which finally cracked and broke. A friend gave me a replacement, but the inside top's too small, and once the tea's brewed you can't pry the sodden leaves out short of 20 minutes' hard work.

Do UK shipmates know where I can get a proper tea egg with a proper opening? I only ask because I hear you Brits drink lots of tea . . .

[ 27. October 2013, 00:39: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who needs "proper" when there are so many fun options.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
Coffee has taken the place of tobacco in Britain.

Indeed, though many smokers now seem to have a caffeine addiction too. I'm waiting for someone to bring out some kind of grip/holster to hold the cup while people use their device on their smoking break. Evolution doesn't seem to be doing it.

quote:
On a positive note, at least the 1960s/70s pursuit of time-wasting coffee mornings shows no sign of being resurrected.

Yes, society has changed. Though even then I remember them being combined with "bring and buy", a sort of d.i.y. jumble sale.
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

I just watched this documentary (previous parts are of historical interest).
Has anyone looked into which of the coffee chains or suppliers give the best deal to the poor growers & their families?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Do UK shipmates know where I can get a proper tea egg with a proper opening? I only ask because I hear you Brits drink lots of tea . . .

Is it this sort of thing ?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You're making a certain (and incorrect) assumption there. Something only has the potential for resurrection if ... [Smile]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife goes on a annual Coffee Cruise. The decent coffee is so much cheaper over the Channel. There is a bigger price difference than a bottle of vino.

Now I need to go and put the coffee maker on.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Is it this sort of thing ?
I had one of those once - still do somewhere, only mine was shaped like a little egg on a chain. I think it was sold as a "tea ball". The secret with those is to try if possible to use tea where the particles are larger then the perforation holes, otherwise you end up with a lot of it in the bottom of your cup. Don't fill it to the max, either, as the tea needs room to expand, and try not to touch the metal when you pull it out of the cup of hot water, as it'll be red hot. Otherwise, they're quite useful, and can be taken to the office for daily use.

I shall have to see if I can locate mine and give it another go.

[ 27. October 2013, 08:03: Message edited by: Ariel ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Porridge

This place sells various 'infusers' for tea, not sure about your 'egg'. But a crystal heart infuser ball sounds fun.

Are you in the US? Shipping might be expensive.

http://www.teapalace.co.uk/Infusers-for-Mugs-Cups-CFILTERS_FORCUPS/

[ 27. October 2013, 08:28: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My local library has regular coffee mornings. They're just not allowed to call it that any more - I think they have to call it something to do with reading, so they call it 'Reading Café'. But unofficially everyone calls it a coffee morning, and they chat about all sorts, not just about books.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016