homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Christmas cards

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas cards
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a dark, wet afternoon here so I got out the box of unused Christmas cards left over from last year to work out how many I need to buy.

What sort of Christmas cards do you send? Do you splash out and buy individual cards, or do you invest in a bumper discount box? Do you choose traditional themes, religious themes or construct your own cards with photos of the family?

And what sort of cards do you most like to get?

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
blackbeard
Ship's Pirate
# 10848

- Posted      Profile for blackbeard   Email blackbeard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never seem to buy enough and there is a desperate last-minute rush to get more.

Generally the sort you buy by the dozen in support of some charity (in my case usually RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Inst.) being the only charity from which I have personally benefitted).

Whatever, it will NOT have a twee verse (as in, verse and worse, unsuccessful attempt at poetry) in it.

Posts: 823 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a handful of cards of the generic sort which I send to my non-church-going friends.

The rest of them all have to put up with cards I buy from the Knights of Columbus/Chévaliers de Colombe. The ones I chose this year have the theme of the Holy Family.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get them from Traidfair. They have nice ones for sending to Jewish / Hindu/Sikh friends too in the shape of peace images.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually get mine from Hedingham Fair, who do traditional customs, morris dancing and so on. It gets bonus points for being located in the village my Young Man's family comes from, Sible Hedingham. And to top up the bumper collection, this year I've gone for a pack with a picture of Wren's Spires from Freedom from Torture.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Generally the sort you buy by the dozen in support of some charity

...mine come mostly from The Leprosy Mission. They usually have at least three designs that catch my eye each year, and they come with Bible verses
For people of other faiths I buy cards with non-religious designs, in recent years these have been from The British Heart Foundation

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I buy mine from UNICEF.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you will probably guess from my ship name, most people send me cards showing cute, or cheeky choristers, carol singers or other musicians. If I can, I send similar cards to them. Failing that, then humorous or quirky cards, if possible with a churchy theme. For example, one year I send cards showing a stable scene, with 'It's a girl!' as the caption. Another time, it was a cartoon singing vicar.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually buy some from Save The Children: New Zealand scenes for overseas friends, and Christian for local people.
But most get a personalised Christmas letter, with a Nativity scene if I have time.
Some get a Jacquie Lawson eCard. For several years I've asked them if some day they could do just one with an Antipodean summer scene (cricket on the beach, swimming, camping pohutukawa trees for the kiwis, etc) but it's clear from their friendly responses, that since the overwhelming volume of their users are from the northern hemisphere and a lot of work goes into each card, that it isn't going to happen. Sigh.
They did suggest one card featuring a beach picnic, but with a row of little cabins on the sand it was very foreign-looking.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I nearly always send religious cards - I have found that Bible Lands (or whatever they are called now) and the Salvation Army can be relied upon to give me a fair range to choose from. UNICEF also always have at least 2 packs of religious designs - 1 more traditional and 1 modern.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Always a religious scene, always to support a charity: Cards for Good Causes stock them for smaller charities and over the years I've had cards for some interesting concerns: Camphill Village Trust, The Shipwrecked Fishermen & Mariners Royal Benevolent Society, Royal National Institute for the Deaf, etc, etc.

I write personal notes in all cards, which I prefer to have a fairly traditional greeting.

All written in fountain pen, properly addressed and posted during the week after the second Sunday of Advent (slightly earlier for those going abroad).

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A dilemma is whether to send charity cards - so as to be seen to be supporting charity and encouraging others to follow suit by supporting a charity of their choice - or whether to buy the cheapest cards and give some money to charity instead. On balance I'd opt for the former, unless the circumstances merit a robustly Christian card.

Does anyone else find that the number of cards sent and received is steadily falling? Two or three decades ago you'd send one to all colleagues/major customers/neighbours/old friends, but modern etiquette is that you only send one if you've spoken with the person in depth during the last few weeks. At one time every desk in our office was a festive display which could provoke lengthy, philosophical discussion on this Forum, but nowadays there's normally just two or three cards per desk.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the past I have made mine, (not photos, usually needlewrok or crafted) but I'm lacking the energy and inspiration this year.

GG- I like to send a NZ Christmas theme too - I never send one with snow.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
A dilemma is whether to send charity cards - so as to be seen to be supporting charity and encouraging others to follow suit by supporting a charity of their choice - or whether to buy the cheapest cards and give some money to charity instead. On balance I'd opt for the former, unless the circumstances merit a robustly Christian card.

Does anyone else find that the number of cards sent and received is steadily falling? Two or three decades ago you'd send one to all colleagues/major customers/neighbours/old friends, but modern etiquette is that you only send one if you've spoken with the person in depth during the last few weeks. At one time every desk in our office was a festive display which could provoke lengthy, philosophical discussion on this Forum, but nowadays there's normally just two or three cards per desk.

I find that charity shops sell many more Christian-themed Christmas cards than 'regular' shops.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to send cards, generally charity ones, but these days I am more likely to send a home designed e-card - okay, I know I'm lazy and have no shame about it at all.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went through a stage of having a "production line" of home made ones - and I would make about 30 at a time...but I'm afraid I have stopped that game. I found some very "french" Bonnes Fetes cards at 1€ for 8 so I bought packets of them o last me for a couple of years. I've also got quite a lot of hand made ones I try to sell at Christmas - if they don't sell, I usually post one or two of them to family.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To celebrate getting a new puppy, mine have come from Guide Dogs for the Blind this year. I always get charity cards of one sort or another.
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year, mine are from the Countryside Alliance and Combat Stress - the latter is my pet charity...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as I posted on the Christmas thread, I ordered cards with what I thought was a Christmassy candle design from a charity in India which my daughter visited this summer. I got an e-mail saying they'd had such demand for Diwali cards that they'd sold my order, and there would be a delay while they made more. This has left me confused as to whether the cards I'd thought were Christmas cards actually were Diwali cards.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I love to make things, but suffer badly from art failure, the last few years I've found an apt photograph and got our local Snappy Snaps to do cards from it (they stock up specially on white ink for my snow photos). You lucky people are getting a sneak preview.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've already seen that one - and you've reminded me, I'm supposed to be providing a shot like that for one of the local charities.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think you're the only person who's commented on it!

I must get more photos up... I'd be pants at 365, it'd be 1.... 1..... 1..... aaargh, gotta find 362 by next week!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make most of my cards and enjoy designing a new one each year. I think it is probably more expensive than the bulk packs from the supermarket, but I find my friends enjoy the persoal thought involved in a home made card.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great shot, Sandemaniac!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My practice is the reverse – I wouldn't send a card to someone you see and speak to and can offer Christmas Greetings in person. Cards are for distant friends you can't speak to but wish you could.
But then the nearby friends send a card and you have to post them a belated one.
No win there.
But then I've never been in an office type environment, with cards on desks.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If that. These days it's e-cards from people you do business with, or an email with festive greetings saying they decided to donate the money they would have spent on cards to charity instead. Both seem to be percolating into non-work life, too.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to buy my Christmas cards from charity shops so it tends to be bigger charities - Mind, Shelter and the PDSA. However I might order some this year from Crohn's And Colitis UK.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite card ever, Macarius and I received some years ago.

It was a cartoon vicar looking sadly at the snowy ground, surrounded by peas. The caption was something like,

'He'd actually asked for peace on earth but supposed he should be happy with what he got.'

I don't know why it tickles me so much but it does.

I can't say I've noticed a reduction in the number of personal cards sent or received but I do find that most businesses don't send cards any more.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I buy from 'Cards for good causes' I tend to go for the pictures I like rather than the particular charity, which often leads me to support ones I've never heard of.

The other main charity is 'Friends of Cathedral Music' - they try every year to portray a different cathedral(s) and to get the choristers to do something slightly different. Running in the snow, standing in a circle with lit candles, lying in a circle with heads all in the centre, etc.

One day I really should design my own, with Chorister Teddy singing a Christmas carol...

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Super shot, Sandemaniac, btw. I left Flickr when they brought in the horrible scrolling interface so haven't kept up. Your pic will make a great card.

I had a friend who used to make cards with woodcuts and litho prints - he was really good at it. It would be nice to able to do something like that but it takes more skill than I've got.

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually make cross stitch or black work cards for closes family and friends but have been too busy this year, so they will be getting the same as other family and friends, charity cards chosen for the picture, normally snow scenes or winter foliage. I do look carefully at the charities helped though as there are some charities that I prefer not to support.

I also buy a large mixed box of cards for work colleagues and people at Church who aren't already covered in the previous groups

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fairly useless with Christmas cards. I only send them every few years when I print some as an excuse to use a letterpress, and the interval has stretched longer. It's just enough to ruin tit for tat card sending, By the time I send one, that's the year they dropped me off the list.

I also haven't figured out how to indicate that my cheerful and areligious "Solstice Greetings" inscription is not a sign that I've become a worshipper of pagan gods.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Super shot, Sandemaniac, btw. I left Flickr when they brought in the horrible scrolling interface so haven't kept up. Your pic will make a great card.

The only reason I stayed with Flickr was I couldn't face moving everything! I was so confident I wouldn't take a better photo that I got the cards made in January, much to the amusement of Snappy Snaps.

I wish I had the time and patience to do crafty stuff, but this'll do, and people seem to like them, so that'll do me.

AG

--------------------

Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still think real physical Christmas cards are important--I love receiving them, after all!-- and usually buy charity ones--last couple of years, from Unicef.

I send a Christian picture to known Christians, and a "peace " or similar design to known Jewish people and secular friends--though I suppose latter may get a secular-Christmas-related picture. The standard of the art on the cards is important to me.

I write a personal greeting and usually a few lines too, by hand. If big changes --new address or something--are afoot, I may include a printed piece of paper with the info.

This year, all this may be unachievable because of timing of a move! But I should attempt to achieve it because of the move, new address, etc!!

I dislike cards where the photo of someone's precious darlings forms the card's actual picture. I love receiving family photos enclosed, though.
Can't help thinking cards with printed names in are a bit lazy--as long as there's no handwriting/arthritis problem, as I had myself one year, which was the first time I ever sent out a sort of printed mini-summary of family's doings (not a "newsletter", I claim!).

The whole tradition is a lovely thing, especially for keeping in touch with far-flung friends and relations whom one sees rarely.

Of course it has its downside, besides the time and expense--management of the list, if/when to drop someone, etc!

--------------------
Pondering.

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I normally send Charity cards. I buy my cards from 2 of the charities I support with a regular donation.

I have noticed over the last few years that I am being sent packs of cards for charities I have never supported. I have already had 2 packs this year. One from a dog charity!

How do thay get my details? Surely not from the charities I support selling on my details?

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How do thay get my details? Surely not from the charities I support selling on my details
Quite possibly. I had a lengthy email exchange earlier this year with Salvation Army. They sell lists and regard this as legitimate according to the person I spoke to.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems very short-sighted to me. I might buy all my cards from the newly discovered charity.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I make cards for family and close friends as they now seem to expect it. I send religious cards to others I do not see that often or who I know live alone along with a personal note of greeting. I am behind this year. I do need to get at it.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually make cards from one of my Camino photographs and send them out fairly early, guilting my correspondents into sending me one as well.

I have noticed the numbers of cards falling generally-- two real estate agents who obtained my address improperly from church lists send me very nice hand-written notes (which I ignore). One embassy with which I have had things to do now sends e-mail greetings while the other, possibly not having yet discovered the internet, sticks with a nicely engraved card with a renaissanceish picture of the BVM.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Christmas card list has been pared down to about a dozen. It just doesn't seem to be a thing anymore...which is too bad, because I kind of like them. I remember when my aunt used to run a ribbon around the living room where she'd hang all her many cards during the holidays; I used to love to look at them all, especially the sparkly or die-cut ones.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had lots to do with Macmillan Cancer Care this year we are paying a little back by sending out cards they've produced.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

I was on a retreat last weekend in Salford and the convent retreat house we were staying in were selling some truly lovely Christmas cards (as were local RC churches) showing the nativity in a Manchester cityscape. All the money goes to a local RC-run food bank and soup kitchen. If anyone is in the Salford area then I would recommend them (Our Lady of Dolours is definitely selling them).

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone else find that the number of cards sent and received is steadily falling?

Yes. Over recent years, family and friends have agreed not to send cards; not because of increasing cost of postage - although this came into it - but because there is so much more communication by phone and e-mail, that the specialness of the card was disappearing.
In fact, today, I am starting on my e-mails to far-distant friends to send them the season's greetings and to exchange, briefly:), the year's news.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016