homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bogies / Boogers

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bogies / Boogers
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last week I was chatting to a friend of mine and she interrupted me to point out that I had a bogey hanging out of my nose. I was naturally mortified and wiped it away with a tissue, but it spoilt the rest of the conversation for me as I kept thinking about it and feeling embarrassed.

Then, this aftermoon, the very same thing happened, but this time she had the bogey hanging out. Remembering my earlier mortification I resolved to look her squarely in the eye and not say anything about it.

Which one of us acted as a good neighbour?

--------------------
"As God is my witness, I WILL kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!"

Posts: 1017 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Snot easy to say.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it was my husband or my kids I'd tell them but I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else. Too embarrassing for them and for me. Well, maybe if it was a very close friend I might have a quiet word to let them know as they were leaving that they might want to tidy up their nose a bit, just to save them facing anyone else with it. But somehow it feels a bit of a personal thing to comment on!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why not just make strong eye contact and wipe your own nose several times till the catch on?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would tend to not use words such as booger, but say something like "you might want to wipe your nose". I would probably also think to tell the person with the long strip of toilet paper hanging from the back of their pants that they might wish to attend to this.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A similar dilemma arises when you see a gentleman unaware that his fly is down. I've been known to say sotto voce to someone in such a predicament, without making eye contact and while moving my lips as little as possible, "Dude, check your fly." The gentleman has always been very grateful for the advice.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the sotto voce thing is key.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Friends don't let friends walk around with nose danglies.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
A similar dilemma arises when you see a gentleman unaware that his fly is down. I've been known to say sotto voce to someone in such a predicament, without making eye contact and while moving my lips as little as possible, "Dude, check your fly." The gentleman has always been very grateful for the advice.

I'm afraid there are other men, "lewd fellows of the baser sort", who would respond to your well-meant information with, "It pays to advertise".

I once had an egg and bacon roll at MacDonald's for breakfast, and it was only hours later when I caught sight of my face in a shop window, that I realised there were a number of very bright yellow blobs of yolk in my beard which it had occurred to no-one to apprise me of.

And yes, I realise it was a judgement on me for partaking at the Anti-Christ's table.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If there's a clean paper napkin/tissue, hand it to them and whisper "um...".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Friends don't let friends walk around with nose danglies.

Wisdom of the ages.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would totally tell. or at least give them that meaningful, "we share a secret" look while suggestively wiping at my nose.

I once tucked my skirt up into my underpants at work - bartending! which is like being on stage! and no one said a word, just snickered, and dropped things behind the bar for me to pick up. I was mortified! I yelled at the regulars and threatened to water down their beers for the rest of the winter. assholes.

always tell! it's what a good neighbor does!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

- Posted      Profile for angelfish   Email angelfish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear. I am judged and found wanting. Does it help to add that we were in her own home, towards the end of the day and she was not going to see anyone else before bedtime?

I thought about doing the meaningful stare and gesture thing, which is what I would do if in a group and a close friend or relative had a similar problem, but when it's just the two of you that's as bad as saying it out loud, isn't it?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
Oh dear. I am judged and found wanting. Does it help to add that we were in her own home, towards the end of the day and she was not going to see anyone else before bedtime?

At which point she is going to look in the bathroom mirror and go Bugger! And he never told me!
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm wondering now if there is a cultural factor in this. us English are all uptight and embarrassed to say anything!
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Which is why I suggested the fake nose-wiping thing.

I had a teacher once that I was semi-friendly with-- one day in class I genuinely got an itch on my nose, but I was watching his lecture so intently that he took my nose-scratching for a hint and began frantically swiping at his nose, mid-lecture. Then he looked over at me for approval, and it took me a while to figure out what had happened. [Snigger]

[ 25. October 2013, 06:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I had a teacher once that I was semi-friendly with-- one day in class I genuinely got an itch on my nose, but I was watching his lecture so intently that he took my nose-scratching for a hint and began frantically swiping at his nose, mid-lecture. Then he looked over at me for approval, and it took me a while to figure out what had happened. [Snigger]

that's awesome!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many years ago I read in an etiquette column that if it's something someone can fix (e.g., a nose-wiping predicament) tell them. If it's something they can't fix right then (a run/ladder in their stockings) don't tell them. They can't do anything about it, and knowing about it will just embarrass them.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There I was thinking I'd been called to heaven! [Biased]

The good neighbour was the friend who told you. It takes far more courage and friendship to do that than say nothing. Imagine if it had been worse than a mere bogie! (skirt tucked in knickers, fly open with all showing etc) You would want to know however much it made you [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
If it's something they can't fix right then (a run/ladder in their stockings) don't tell them. They can't do anything about it, and knowing about it will just embarrass them.

I could fix that - if I'm wearing them I always carry a spare pair. Now I'm trying to think of something I couldn't fix that wasn't permanent anyway?

[ 25. October 2013, 06:58: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
angelfish
Shipmate
# 8884

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
I'm wondering now if there is a cultural factor in this. us English are all uptight and embarrassed to say anything!

Yes, well as it happens she is American and I am English, so you might be onto something there.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This reminds me of the story of the guy who comes home from church with 2 black eyes. He's asked how he got the black eyes. He says the women in the pew in front had her dress stuck in her butt crack. So he pulled he out when they stood to sing.

Q: "okay, so that's how you got the one black eye, what about the other one"
R: "well I then realised she didn't want it pulled out..."

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well, now that we've all had a good blow into our hankies...

Closed on the grounds that it's putting the Heaven Hosts off their tea.

Firenze
Sniffer Stopper

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016