homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » JtC in Perth (Australia).

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: JtC in Perth (Australia).
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be in Perth in November from Tuesday the 12th until Sunday the 17. I'd love to catch up with some shippies [Big Grin]

[ 06. October 2013, 05:40: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
"How do you get all those coins?" asked Mort.
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Posts: 3219 | From: Geelong | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thursday, Friday or Saturday are best for me.
Where are you staying, James?

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

- Posted      Profile for James the Confident   Author's homepage   Email James the Confident   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kardinya, where ever that is [Confused]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's near Mud Rocks, where I work. It's also near Freo, which is a good place for meets.
Whaddayareckon AdamPater, rexory, Evensong, jugular? Has anyone seen The Coot recently?

--------------------

----

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as i know, I can fit any of those days.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't had a day off since retreat in July. Things are incredibly full-on for me at the moment. [Frown]

Are you still a hospital chaplain James? I'm thinking the best I might be able to do is show you around the pastoral care department of Royal Perth Hospital after a spot of lunch in the city!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I have been sans internet for the past six days! I'm back now and yes, I am still a pastoral carer in the Geelong hospital working in cancer services. I love it!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

WHACK!
jugs? AP? Whatup, my diggers?

AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<whop>

WHA-AT?

I'd like to fit in if I can.

<exits muttering about pentecostals, wine-skins and bon-fires>

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Thursday, Friday and Saturday are good for me too although I will have to ready myself for a party on Saturday evening.

I'd love to see the Pastoral care department!

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

AdamPater
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A spot of lunch in the city would be ideal for me. There's an excellent Indian restaurant in Victoria Avenue, down the hill from the Hospital and Cathedral...

--------------------

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As soon as there's a day, time and place,I'm in.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

A spot of lunch sounds spiffing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

AdamPater
# 4431

For the sake of something to argue against:
  • Friday lunch
  • Perth CBD
  • City Spices Indian restaurant, Victoria Ave
(This is conveniently close to RP Hospital, for Evensong's private tour, if and when)

OR:
  • Thursday evening
  • Fremantle
(Possibly convenient for DK and others more to the south.)

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
  • Friday lunch
  • Perth CBD
(This is conveniently close to RP Hospital, for Evensong's private tour, if and when)

OR:
  • Thursday evening
  • Fremantle

Either works fine for me

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do what is currently happening with the family Christmas lunch date here. Everybody was all smiling till we put up a firm date. That brought all the disagreers out in force.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes think it would be an idea to have a How to organise a [Ship]Meet thread just to see how many ideas there are about - it always seems such a fraught business!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

Thursday evening or Friday lunch are both fine with me. I love Indian food, yum.

WW, yes I think such a thread could prove to be very useful!

If it is on Thursday then I shall make another time to see the hospital.

9 sleeps 'til I leave. [Big Grin]

[ 30. October 2013, 10:22: Message edited by: James the Confident ]

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After much discussion, my other half is still uncomfortable with me hanging out with a bunch of blokes. So I'm sorry but it looks like I'll have to pull out of this meet too. [Frown]

If only there were a few more female Perth shippies!!

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

James. Hubby is happy for me to show you around the pastoral care department if you so wish.

It's actually not very impressive (just a few rooms in an old part of the hospital) but if you're keen out of professional interest I'd be happy to meet with you and show you around the hospital.

If you'd like to meet some of the staff and other CPE students weekdays lunchtime would be best. Otherwise Saturday after 12 would work too. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I'm sorry about the meet Evensong but I would still like a tour, perhaps one weekday

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

AdamPater
# 4431

Someone with a regular presence will turn up directly, insha'Allah.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

quote:
  • Friday lunch
  • Perth CBD

OR:
  • Thursday evening
  • Fremantle

Happy to go with AP's suggestion for town.
Or, if we choose Freo, which is also closer to JtC, perhaps we could sample the delights of Little Creatures. They have good food, and VERY good beer.
If it's just drinks, there is also Who's your Mumma which has a lot more variety of other beverages.
What day is best for you, James?
Jeez, Evensong, why don't you just bring your partner with you in that case? Or perhaps rex can bring along Mrs rex?

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:

Jeez, Evensong, why don't you just bring your partner with you in that case?

He actually agreed to try and come. But he's not a socialite at the best of times and hanging out when he doesn't really want to be there would be the ultimate killjoy moment methinks.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

AdamPater
# 4431

You wouldn't want to waste a skill that.

--------------------

James the Confident
Ship's Pastor
# 9678

I'm leaving in about three hours. I like the little Creatures suggestion, I like Little Creatures if it comes to that! Can we get food there?

I hit Perth on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a party to go to on the Saturday evening (about 1700 I believe [Eek!] , You Perthians do eat early, don't you). Time is basically my own so you guys sort it out and I'll fit in. The things I want to do are not time or day sensitive. I do want to go to Mount Magnet for a couple of days to see my sister.

DK, I think I will not be able to go to the Melbourne meet as I really want to make the most of Perth and all it has to offer.

--------------------
IN PAIRS
"Mort", Terry Pratchett

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I remember, I ate very nicely at Little Creatures' Brewery Pub.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
As I remember, I ate very nicely at Little Creatures' Brewery Pub.

Did you wash the meal down with Little Creatures Pale Ale? Delightful. I've had another couple of brands around because I couldn't get this. When I came back to it I realised just how much better it was than the other (reputable) brands.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe that was exactly the one. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

So Thursday evening (14/11) at Creatures then? Or is that too short notice?
Who's in?

--------------------

----

AdamPater
# 4431

Alas no: I miss-recalled a shift roster.

Little Creatures is a good choice though. Enjoy.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Hope the trip over was good Jtc. I sent you a pm. Hope to catch up tomorrow?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

I'm in. What time? I've a funeral visit at 4 in Beckenham; so can fit thereafter. Have sent Jugular a voice-mail in case he's not seen this.

--------------------

rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

Cancel that! Tomorrow evening is my first Parish Council meeting. Better not miss it. Any chance we can rearrange to Friday lunch. I'm also committed Friday evening. This is not good.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Friday lunch is fine for me. JtC? Evensong et al? jugs? AP?

--------------------

----

AdamPater
# 4431

Yes, Friday lunch is good for me. Everyone happy with City Spices? I'll book a table for, what, six but expect four?

I'll book for noon - but let me know if that's too early.

(City Spices do a good Thali platter for lunch. Located in Victoria Avenue between Hay Street and Victoria Square, just down from the Cathedral.)

((rexory, don't take everyone to the wrong venue.))

--------------------

jugular
Voice of Treason
# 4174

- Posted      Profile for jugular     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like a plan, Friday noon it is.
Posts: 2599 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:

((rexory, don't take everyone to the wrong venue.))

[Confused] Have I ever got it wrong before? Looking forward to it.

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Oh, snap! Did you just refer to St Mary's as "the Cathedral," AP?
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

quote:

He crossed the Tiber - of course it's "the Cathedral" for him!
JtC has just been in touch. He's left his Ship password at home, so can't post here. But he would like it known he'll be joining us tomorrow. I shall be picking him up. Turns out he's staying with former parishioners of mine two parishes back! What was that stuff about six degrees of separation? [Smile]

--------------------

AdamPater
# 4431

quote:

[Big Grin] "In the end, there can be only one." [Biased]

I think the correct name is "The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (True Dinks)™"

--------------------

AdamPater
# 4431

Table for six booked at City Spices for twelve noon.

I'll probablly be there first, wearing a gorilla suit, so should be easy to find.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Don't forget Adam's joke book [Big Grin]

--------------------

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

Bloody good lunch. Cheers, y'all.
Pity about rexory's car. Some fit young men, plus jugular and I, had to push it off the busiest intersection in the city. Then poor rex had to wait for the RAC to replace his battery. So we missed out on his esteemed company.
Enjoy the rest of your trip, James. [Smile]

--------------------

----

AdamPater
# 4431

Excellent lunch and delightful company, ended only by the proprietor throwing us out and turning off the lights (in the nicest possible way).

Good to meet you James.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Any pics? Glad yoouse had a good time. [Smile]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016