homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » twerking words into being (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: twerking words into being
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The word "twerk" came into existence fairly recently, but it sounds very much like it could be from an ancient Anglo-Saxon root. It sounds English. I thought we could make up words that sound English, and the next person could supply a definition, then a new word.

drimp

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cara
Shipmate
# 16966

- Posted      Profile for Cara     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
drimp: a completely soaked semi-folded umbrella

Hm. The hard thing is to invent a word that isn't one already.
I just wrote "brackle" which I was rather pleased with until I looked it up to make sure, and found a definition in the urban dictionary....let us draw a veil.

brungle

--------------------
Pondering.

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brungle: something you take to a jumble sale

Yarter

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yarter: prior to the invention of elastic, zips, braces and buttons, an arrangement of laces that held up your braies, breeks etc.

Crumscrog

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crumscrog: A piece of equipment used by rugby players to protect their ... ahem ... tender regions, especially in the scrum.

Gruskle

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gruskle: the rash that appears if the crumscrog is not affixed appropriately and rubs against the, er, said tender bits.

cront

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cront: the noise made by an elderly frog when he stands up

perfusticate

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blather on, in a rambling manner, even more completely obscuring the meaning of anything you intended to say.

chix

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
chix: 1. (v) the carving of one's initials into a tree or wall, often including a heart, a plus sign or ampersand and a second person's initials. 2. (n) the permanent result of the action of chixing. Often seen as desecretion or akin to graffiti.

goondummage

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goondummage: the detritus left by the operation of early combine harvesters.

Juffalating

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Juffalating: The act of massaging cushions or pillows to make them comfortable.

Funt

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funt: the felt-like lint that collects in one's shoes.

tripsle

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funt
A person who you don't quite like, but still had a good time with.

Borken

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Funt: the felt-like lint that collects in one's shoes.

tripsle

A mildly drunken night out on the town.

"My friends and I went for a bit of a tripsle on Firday."

Borken

To bring to mind in a rather unpleasant manner.

"That cheap motel we stayed in last weekend borkened some of the fleabag places we lodged at on our honeymoon."

Next...

cruckybill

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crukybill - a counterfeit banknote, crumpled up and stained to disguise it.

becloptly

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Becoptly: fumbling, careless or short-sighted. Esp when searching for something.

E.g. He searched becoptly for his car keys

Mizzle

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Becloptly: The loud thwacking sound that a particular type of woman's strapless sandals make, especially when she is trying not to make any noise. The quieter the environment, the louder the sound - for example, in a museum or cathedral.

Oops- crosspost. I'll leave it at Mizzle. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 13. November 2013, 18:46: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mizzle is a word.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D'oh. Sorry!

fargwrangler

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One who unsuccessfully squirms in their seat in order to avoid breaking wind.

sovvy

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a shrewd apology.

Fijinia

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fijinia

A colorful dog-bird hybrid species, native to Micronesia. The fijinia is a fictional animal, created by the sci-fi writer MacDonald Bell (1930-2003), who drew and described the creature in his notebooks, but never included it in a story or novel.

Following Bell's death, and the donation of his papers to the University Of Central Utah, the fijinia developed a cult following among the author's devotees, becoming the star of many fan- generated stories and images.

haphistolic

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

The furry part of Velcro™. The spiky part is called benis. The figinia and benis stick together.

bogtoat

[ 14. November 2013, 01:11: Message edited by: no prophet ]

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bogtoat: the bits of fluff that fall out of the clothes dryer when you've accidentally left a tissue in your pocket before washing your trousers.

grelfey

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

grelfey - A cathedral gargoyle given the face of a contemporary politican

muntridge

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Muntridge: an injury sustained whilst twerking

slagand

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slagand: an unpleasant and undesirable young woman who goes on a lot, i.e. rants.

throckmortimer

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
throckmortimer: In rural North Yorkshire in the 17th century there was a form of duelling that involved the rather dangerous use of shepherd's crooks. The object was to "throckmortimer" or throttle your opponent with said weapon. It derived, of course, from "throttle Mortimer with your crook", Mortimer being the first victim of this form of assault (he sadly died of his injury).

Contipsulate

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

Constipulate: to be so desperate to express your ideas quickly that you can't ... You know .... Um .... Find the .... You know.... Get it.... argh.... Findtherightwordstoarticulatethem. Aaaaahhhhhh.

wippling

[ 14. November 2013, 11:59: Message edited by: Jammy Dodger ]

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
wippling: rookie, novice, debutant, freshman, etc.

Cogical

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

Cogical: a cogical person is just too mechanically 'right' for his own good.

massooje

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
massooje A communicant who approaches the altar rail on hands and knees, doggy-style, in an excess of humility.

Prospictable

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
massooje

That sounds English?

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
massooje

That sounds English?
It's a Dutch loanword, and actually entered English with William and Mary. It declined in usage rather quickly because it seemed a little too Roman Catholic. The famous Slaughter of the Massooje painting by the Flemish master Willem van Hansendkneejse was formerly in the Vatican, in the pope's lavatory.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Prospictable

Said of a man. Vulnerable to the machinations of gold-digging floozies.

"I'm worried about Uncle Todd. With those lottery winnings and his overall social desperation, he's become rather prospictable."

loffee

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
loffee: a subject of good-hearted amicable mockery.

piticle

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Piticle: lending itself to deseeding or destoning - 'These are very piticle olives'.

Mulligate

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

[tangent]

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief
quote:

massooje

That sounds English?
I originally thought of 'massooze' as in massage + booze, but discovered it was a word, so I slightly adjusted it. It was only after I posted it, that I realised it didn't look very English. Apologies.

However, I suppose English, being a scrounger of a language, delights in foreign words. Do we really want to replace the lovely 'boomerang' with something purer like 'comebackstick'? [Eek!]

[/tangent]

[ 14. November 2013, 22:02: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Mulligate: the fictitious invisible barrier that stops a golf ball from going into the cup and causes a mulligan.

plethinsle

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

plethinsle: catch-all term for a variety of stands used to display artwork of various media. Examples include plinths and easels.

pudicate

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

A formal hearing to decide whose dessert it really is.

Newticle

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Newticle: one of the dimples around the base of the metal band holding a pencil eraser; they dig into the wood and keep the band on the pencil.

breggle

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
breggle - to injure yourself whilst doing something completely ordinary. "I've just breggled my thigh, doing up my shoelace."

zympania

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
zympania: percussion instrument, not unlike a cross between a cymbal and a kettle drum.

sprifan

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
sprifan - a bagpipe accessory, equivalent to the "soft" pedal of a piano. Quite rare, as there was little interest in it.

musstrum

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
musstrum repetitive tic as if playing an invisible guitar or banjo

grunes

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grunes - incised neolithic dolmen-marks in the shape of dried fruit. Purpose uncertain.

Goatfardle

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goatfardle The inner lining of the metal chastity belt.

Pentruckle

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

pentruckle- the hardened bits of syrup or jam that have dripped down the side of the jar or bottle.

brinfeakler

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

brinfeakler - a mythical Anglo-Saxon sprite who destroyed people's crops by sprinkling salt on the ground.

twyheffle

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016