homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Feast of Title?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Feast of Title?
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting forgetful in my old age, so I thought I'd give some young liturgical whipper-snapper a chance to show off [Big Grin] Please would somebody remind me: what exactly is the distinction between a 'Patronal Festival' and a 'Feast of Title'? Thank you!
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just guessed that Feast of Title is for when churches aren't named after specific saints - so it doesn't have a patron to have a patronal for. Eg a church in my town is one of the four churches of the Holy Sepulchre in England, so doesn't have a patronal, but keeps Candlemass as its feast of title. On a tangent I would be interested to know what the other Holy Sepulchres in England keep!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - Holy Sepulchre is one of four surviving round churches in England. There is another Holy Sepulchre in Cambridge though, but it's not used as a church. So I guess Holy Sepulchre in Northampton is the only one with a feast of title conundrum!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I understood. St Peter's has a patronal. Holy Cross has a feast of title.

New Hall school in Essex is a house of the Canonesses of the Holy Sepulchre (who have been there since penal days) but I casn't find out when they keep their order's feast of title.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you: it's good, but not the answer I was looking for. You see, I can't remember the right answer, but I will recognise it when I see it! Any more thoughts out there?

We may be looking for a 'Western Rite' answer rather than a purely Anglican one, since the church I attended when I first learned it had a tendancy to go to bed for a week whenever the Pope coughed... [Biased]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Oferyas:
Thank you: it's good, but not the answer I was looking for. You see, I can't remember the right answer, but I will recognise it when I see it! Any more thoughts out there?

We may be looking for a 'Western Rite' answer rather than a purely Anglican one, since the church I attended when I first learned it had a tendancy to go to bed for a week whenever the Pope coughed... [Biased]

Do you mean what the difference is between the services used? I don't think there would be any. I'm a bit puzzled as to what you're looking for [Confused]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm pretty sure what I said was from Ritual Notes. And what other than a Western Rite answer would you expect? The terms aren't used in the BCP.

I'll go and look in the small print of Common Worship.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I can't see the terms used in the main volume of CW, the lectionary or Daily Prayer.

--------------------

Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

OK, not surprised it isn't in CW - my memory of the distinction dates from the era when Series 2 was radical! No, no difference between the services, just in the term used to describe the liturgical observance.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

As Jade and Ritual Notes say, a partonal festival celebrates a patronal saint, and a feast of title celebrates a mystery in honour of which a church is dedicated.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
As Jade and Ritual Notes say, a partonal festival celebrates a patronal saint, and a feast of title celebrates a mystery in honour of which a church is dedicated.

We celebrate both our feast of title (Ascension Day) and patronal feast (St Michael the Archangel, under whose patronage the cornerstone was laid).
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:

We celebrate both our feast of title (Ascension Day) and patronal feast (St Michael the Archangel, under whose patronage the cornerstone was laid).
As do we - dedicated in honour of a mystery and have absorbed an obsolete parish dedicated to a particular saint.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016