homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Children's toys

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Children's toys
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having posted an advertisement on the random tangents thread I'm reminded of the fun toys we had as children (girls - also given to my daughter), like Bilofix which was such fun that when my parents had friends around in the evenings we'd come down in the morning to find some adult built constructions.

The other thing they used to play with was the Scaletrix set. The really old one with a motor driven spring in a slot that drove the cars around the track. We used Dinky cars with stick on spikes.

Anyone else regret the lack of something now long gone?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father used to construct some pretty good stuff with my Lego set, which I'd find in the morning. I guess one of the good things about being a parent is that you can revisit your own childhood, unashamed, once you have kids.

I loved my collection of Matchbox cars and had over a hundred. They're battered, repainted, and completely unsaleable but the memories are priceless. There was often a tiny car in one of my pockets wherever I went.

My other huge favourite, even more so than the Matchbox cars, was my collection of trolls. My first troll and I were inseparable. She went literally everywhere with me and onto my pillow at night. If I had a bath, so did she - much to the detriment of her hair, but her smile remained steady. I might not always have a Matchbox car with me, but my troll was a constant companion.

I don't think you can get either Matchbox cars or these little trolls any more - they were great fun though.

[ 24. November 2013, 18:17: Message edited by: Ariel ]

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had all kinds of building toys when I was a kid. Legos, Tinker Toys, Erector Sets, Lincoln Logs etc. My favorite was the Erector Set at my grandparents house. I spent many many hours building all kinds of things with it. When I was in my mid 20's, I happened to metnion to the man I was dating how much I loved that toy. At Christmas that year, he went out and hunted one down for me. The cashier at the toy store, making conversation, asked him how old his son was, and gave him a very strange look when he announced that the toy was for his girlfriend...

Twenty years later, I still have that one the boyfirend gave me, as well as the original rescued from my grandparents house after my Sha died. I still build thing with them every now and them [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember Lincoln logs. And Stay-lox (a primitive form of Legos, I think). There was one awful winter when my Mother wouldn't let me go out for days running, and I remember commandeering the living room for an entire village built with those two. Horses and cowboys bonhommes as well, and a lot of props from my electric train set (that may have been involved as well - I can't remember) My parents and siblings threaded their way through to watch TV for days. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lawn darts with points, which are banned in Canada now because we might dart each other. I amused that it is easier to buy a gun than lawn darts.

And popguns. What happened to popguns?

There's probably something seriously wrong with me that both toys I miss potentially cause injury.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Train set, of course, but this was rapidly subsumed into my father's set. Other toys were inherited from older siblings.

But then for Christmas when I was 6 I finally got what I wanted: a proper woodworking set. Some older boys gave me a birthday present of a platform in a large tree and I started to build my treehouse.

I worked on it as my ability developed: I learned from the parish handyman, who reckoned someone in the Rectory family needed practical skills. Eventually a second platform was added and the two linked with a wheeled bridge so that it could cope with wind, etc. Window openings were glazed, the roof tarred and shingled and finally a power line was run down from the garage. It was watertight and very comfortable for the last years of my teens and into my twenties.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016