homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Funeral song fun

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Funeral song fun
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kind of an off-shoot from the “funeral fun” thread, what appropriate / inappropriate songs are there for funerals?

A few suggestions:
Status Quo – Down Down
The Jam – Going Underground

For a cremation:
Crazy World of Arthur Brown – Fire (You’re gonna burn, burn, burn, burn…..)
Trammps – Disco Inferno.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clodagh Rogers - jack in the Box
The Platters - Smoke gets in your eyes

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny Cash- Ring of Fire
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cremations
Colours of Day - refrain So light up the fire and let the flame burn...
Will you come and follow me

Then off to the flames to Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firestarter - Prodigy

Another One Bites the Dust - Queen

Colours of Day which has the chorus 'So light up the fire and let the flame burn'

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

("Beelzebub has a devil set aside for me...")

That was actually requested at a funeral a colleague was taking. He steered the family away from it.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"If you don't know me by now."

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey you - get off my cloud (Rolling Stones)

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Give me oil in my lamp, keep me burning".

A vicar I know once had to take a funeral where the family had requested "Give me peace in my heart, keep me resting" without realising that the crematorium hymnbook had "Give me oil..." as the final verse.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tacky, tacky! I wish to be pursued at supersonic speeds at age 90 with my hair on fire by a disgruntled father whose daughter has just been deflowered by me when she was age 21. It could happen: Picasso was a father in his 90s!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
Hey you - get off my cloud (Rolling Stones)

Works for me!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good friend who died young requested some Noel Coward as his body left the church and we all sat and listened right to the end; the song? There are bad times just around the corner [Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
It could happen: Picasso was a father in his 90s!

While he lived to be 91, his last child (Paloma) was born in 1949, when he was 68.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:

That was actually requested at a funeral a colleague was taking. He steered the family away from it.

If I make a request for my funeral and my family is "steered away from it" I'll bloody well come and haunt the cleric responsible.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Cremations
Colours of Day - refrain So light up the fire and let the flame burn...
Will you come and follow me

Then off to the flames to Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye

My grandmother had the latter ( but not the former). My mother forbad us to laugh; I did, partly because I couldn't help myself, but mainly because that was surely Nan's intention in choosing it!

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bernard Cribbins - Hole in the Ground

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
It could happen: Picasso was a father in his 90s!

While he lived to be 91, his last child (Paloma) was born in 1949, when he was 68.
Sorry that was different. I do not believe that Paloma is older than me. I shall be 60 on the 2nd of January.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few Slayer songs, such as Hell Awaits or South of Heaven.

Evil by Merciful Fate.

Lest anyone think that metal makes light of death, I'd seriously have Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden at my funeral.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a butcher: Sheep may safely graze
For a surveyor: When I survey the wondrous cross
For a lawyer: Pleasant are thy courts above, or Just as I am without one plea

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Read:

If I make a request for my funeral and my family is "steered away from it" I'll bloody well come and haunt the cleric responsible.
This is why I hope to be buried by someone who knows and understands me, rather than by a random cleric whose churchmanship I don't share, and whose church I would never have attended were I alive!

But talking of Queen, there is 'Another One Bites the Dust', of course. And if you're leaving a widow behind you shouldn't choose one of those pop songs about adultery, e.g. Bryan Adams' 'Run to You'....

[ 30. August 2013, 22:52: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Lest anyone think that metal makes light of death, I'd seriously have Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden at my funeral.

But probably not Maiden's "Only the Good Die Young". [Biased]

How about 'Heaven can Wait' or 'Can You Dig It'? for the graveside.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A song in our songbook, quoted as a tribute, by request, at the crem just before the prayer before the committal:

1. My body, soul and spirit,
Jesus I give to thee,
A consecrated offering,
thine evermore to be

refrain;
My all is on the altar,
I'm waiting for the fire;
Waiting, waiting, waiting,
I'm waiting for the fire.

2. O let the fire, descending
just now upon my soul,
consume my humble offering,
And cleanse and make me whole.

When I stood up to pray I had to call for 'a moment of silence' not least because of the smirks and shaking shoulders in the congregation!

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Sir Kevin : (Anne) Paloma Picasso was born 19th April 1949 - that makes her 64. [Smile]

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
For a butcher: Sheep may safely graze
For a surveyor: When I survey the wondrous cross
For a lawyer: Pleasant are thy courts above, or Just as I am without one plea

Adding to the list:
For a dentist: Abide with me (for the line 'change and decay in all around I see'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Smiths, "I Know it's Over" ("Oh, mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head...")

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

For a Lifeboatman

In the cross of Christ I glory, towering o'er the wrecks of time...

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

...and as an organist I hope they give me O Praise ye the Lord - verse three "loud organs his glory forthtell..." [Smile]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016