homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lowpoints in the Lectionary

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lowpoints in the Lectionary
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone else felt that feeling of "oh no" when they looked at the readings for Evensong for the past two Sundays (and, I've taken a sneak peek forward to next Sunday: it's just as bad)? The First Lesson seems resolutely stuck in bits of Isaiah that either make one wonder whether Advent has arrived early or are totally obscure. And the Second Lesson seems to be picking all the most tedious parts of 2 Corinthians: first we had chapter 1, which is a formulaic greeting, wordy thanksgiving, and Paul's justifications for changing his travel plans; then we skipped past all the interesting bits in chapters 2-7 (or 2-6 at least) and got chapter 8, in which Paul gives instructions for his collection for the church in Jerusalem (leading at least to the memorable sermon line: "there are three things I'm not really meant to preach about: politics, sex, and money"); and next we're getting chapter 9, in which he reprises the theme of chapter 8. I don't know whether to be disappointed that we then skip the relatively interesting chapters 10-13 of 2 Corinthians, or relieved that we get back into the Gospel according to John after that. Did the people who devised the lectionary think that everyone's away on holiday in August, so they could concentrate a certain sort of reading there?

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Gospel readings for Sundays have been kicking me up one side and down the other this month, but for reasons other than what you listed. I've never had such a difficult time preaching as I have this month. Jesus is in a snit, and it shows!

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong gets the bin end of readings. All the best ones are in the lectionary for the eucharist.

If you go to church in the evening, you get the left overs.

If I am preaching at evensong, i have to spend more more time in preparation to get some sense out of the lessons - or run for cover to the psalms and preach on them instead.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We only have Evensong (BCP) once a month, and Father insists on using the Authorised Version for the readings chiz chiz chiz......

....but at least yesterday we had that wonderful verse i.e. viz. to wit, 2 Corinthians 8 v9:

'For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.'

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, we had an amazing coincidence at my parish. The Sunday Epistle was Hebrews 11:29-12:2, the famous hall of Israel's saints, which mentions Samson.

At Evensong, the first lesson was Judges 16:15-31, the passage where Samson exerts his revenge on the Philistines by destroying the hall with his strength, killing himself and thousands of people in the process.

It is interesting to ponder the two readings and wrestle with what it all means. [Razz]

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Evensong gets the bin end of readings. All the best ones are in the lectionary for the eucharist.

I don't see why. There are a vast number of good readings, from Cain and Abel in Genesis 4 to the defeat of Satan in Revelation 20 that never get read at a Sunday Communion service. Sunday Evensong really should be the next priority for getting the best readings — really the criteria should be being both interesting and longish.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Yesterday, we had an amazing coincidence at my parish. The Sunday Epistle was Hebrews 11:29-12:2, the famous hall of Israel's saints, which mentions Samson.

At Evensong, the first lesson was Judges 16:15-31, the passage where Samson exerts his revenge on the Philistines by destroying the hall with his strength, killing himself and thousands of people in the process.

It is interesting to ponder the two readings and wrestle with what it all means. [Razz]

What lectionary's that from? That sounds far more interesting. [Smile]

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fortunately we're far too indolent to pray after mid day here ... but I confess I approach the Easter season, with its self indulgent, self-congratulatory yet depressing wallowing in the Book of Acts (I wish Luke had put down his quill before the sequel - though some scholars are suggesting it was the first volume to be written, in which case I wish they'd sent a rejection slip) with fear and trepidation.

I mean how often can you preach about sermons that converted thousands, snake bites that did no harm, and prison walls that fall down on command.

Admittedly you get a chance to sing "my chains fell off ..." or even "laughing and jumping and praising God", but c'mon ....

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

What lectionary's that from? That sounds far more interesting. [Smile]
The USA Episcopal BCP 1979 had that at Evensong (for those using the "borrow the first lesson from the other year" approach). The same lectionary is used by some Canadian Anglicans and by some USA Presbyterians and Lutherans, too.
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that I like about the lectionary is it does force you to consider many parts of Scripture you would rather do without if you had your own choice.

When I was in the military I found even non liturgical chaplains tending to use the lectionary if only to get an idea on what to preach.

Yes, Luke depicts Jesus as a revolutionary, not some cuddly little toy we can manipulate.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We solve any potential problem by simply not having a sermon at our monthly Evensong - after the 3rd Collect, we sing a hymn, and then go straight to Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.... [Big Grin]

But I agree that use of the Lectionary means that you do indeed read parts of the Bible that otherwise might not get much of a look-in - at Morning Prayer, over the past few weeks, we've tackled Job and Ezekiel, and are now wading through Proverbs... [Eek!]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had a number of grumbles recently from ordinary members of the congregation about the obscurity of some of the Bible passages in the service (Main service lectionary).

Their point is that if we are hoping to draw new people into the church (especially younger generations), readings about "circumcision of the heart" don't help - unless you have the time to unpack them (which is unlikely on a Sunday morning unless you are preaching on that specific passage).

Another example was the last Sunday's gospel reading (Luke 12:49-56), about families being divided and which contains the line "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." This is a passage that would take an awful lot of careful explanation to unpack. As it happens, I had already chosen to swap the reading for another (as I can during Ordinary Time), as I was preaching on a specific theme.

Now of course, the "correct" response to these complaints is to say that we need all parts of the Bible and to hide away the obscure or potentially offensive stuff would be wrong. But the grumblers have a point. The lectionary is not terribly "seeker friendly" (I apologise for using that awful phrase).

One answer, of course, would be to do away with the lectionary and simply choose readings that we felt were "suitable" for our own situations. But that raises as many problems as it solves.

Perhaps what we need is a fresh look at the idea of the lectionary, especially for the main service. It seems to me that it was constructed with the assumption that all (or at least most) of the people in the church would have a basic understanding of the books of the Bible. This is an assumption that needs some examination!

I don't think I am suggesting a "dumbed down" lectionary - but certainly one where a key principle in choosing the passages is "how will seekers/visitors be able to engage with the readings rather than be put off or confused"?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Readings about "circumcision of the heart" don't help - unless you have the time to unpack them (which is unlikely on a Sunday morning unless you are preaching on that specific passage).

Coming, as I do, from a Christian tradition which very much centres on the preached Word, I'm afraid that I find this statement faintly amazing. Given that most Christian believers do not go to "house groups" nor read very much theology, Sunday mornings are the only time when they are likely to engage much with the Biblical text.

So surely those conducting worship should make the time to unpack difficult texts on Sunday mornings - and congregations should not just be willing for them to do this, but expect it. In fact, they may rise to the fact that the preacher is grappling with a difficult text and trying to make sense of it for the present day.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coming from an almost diametrically opposite position to BT (worship is primarily sacramental and symbolic) I'd support him in a big way on this.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
last Sunday's gospel reading (Luke 12:49-56), about families being divided and which contains the line "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." This is a passage that would take an awful lot of careful explanation to unpack.

I preached on this very passage, along with "I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled". I did not find it easy to do, but there were people who commented on how it spoke to them, and that they appreciated the addressing of difficult topics, of which we have certainly had a few in recent weeks.
Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So did I, with a similar response.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

quote:
Another example was the last Sunday's gospel reading (Luke 12:49-56), about families being divided and which contains the line "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." This is a passage that would take an awful lot of careful explanation to unpack. As it happens, I had already chosen to swap the reading for another (as I can during Ordinary Time), as I was preaching on a specific theme.

I'd've been tempted to preach on vv54-56, referencing this in passing. This is probably why I'm not in a pulpit. [Biased]

quote:
Now of course, the "correct" response to these complaints is to say that we need all parts of the Bible and to hide away the obscure or potentially offensive stuff would be wrong. But the grumblers have a point. The lectionary is not terribly "seeker friendly" (I apologise for using that awful phrase).

I like the all parts of the Bible view, but no lectionary I know of has ever implemented that completely. Even Cranmer didn't have us announcing, "The First Lesson is written in the sixth chapter of the First Book of Chronicles". Actually, there would be an interesting sermon in 1 Chronicles 6, but the reading itself would test the congregation's patience.

quote:
One answer, of course, would be to do away with the lectionary and simply choose readings that we felt were "suitable" for our own situations. But that raises as many problems as it solves.

I think the answer is a better lectionary. Preferably one that moves the start of the year to Septuagesima...

quote:
Perhaps what we need is a fresh look at the idea of the lectionary, especially for the main service. It seems to me that it was constructed with the assumption that all (or at least most) of the people in the church would have a basic understanding of the books of the Bible. This is an assumption that needs some examination!

I agree, but getting people to have an understanding of the books of the Bible also means that one needs to assume that they have an attention span of more than six verses.

In a way, I see it as the natural result of the Parish Communion movement. You don't want to go to Mattins? Fine, you need Mattins-length readings in the Communion Service.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

This may be a slight tangent, but a couple of years ago we switched from the RC Sunday Mass readings to those of the C of E (using the Redemptorist sheets). My impression is that our own dear old C of E gives us much larger chunks of Scripture on Sunday mornings than the RC church, even when following much the same route, IYSWIM.

BTW, I have no problem with this - I prefer it. Some of the RC lections e.g. on weekdays are little more than soundbytes - if you koff, you miss the Gospel!

Ian J.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of low points in the lectionary, the US BCP daily office lectionary has been going through the II Samuel and King David's reign, and such edifying stories as David getting Bathsheba pregnant then having her husband killed (and God's punishment is to have the innocent baby die); and then we get David's daughter Tamar being raped by her half-brother, who in turn is killed by her brother Absalom, who in turn revolts against his father David, and is killed and David is more upset by Absalom's death than by all the horrendous crap that preceded it, etc., etc.,

I have found plowing through these readings to be yucky and grim, and yet challenging, from a theological perspective. I understand that these quasi-historical documents of a specific small country in the Middle East are a precursor to a more universal message, not that message itself. And it says a lot about Jesus' human ancestry.

In EfM class when it was my turn to bring a subject for group meditation I was noted for bringing difficult scripture passages -- nothing from II Samuel -- but rather New Testament passages that confused me and seemed to go against the basic thrust of the Christian difficult, I simply had difficulty with them and wanted to benefit from what the rest of the group had to say.

Ed. to add that i realise that if one wanted to comment more on the specific Biblical aspects of this post, Kerygmania is place. I was just commenting on the low points aspect

[ 21. August 2013, 17:03: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
S. Bacchus
Shipmate
# 17778

- Posted      Profile for S. Bacchus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pererin:
quote:

I don't see why. There are a vast number of good readings, from Cain and Abel in Genesis 4 to the defeat of Satan in Revelation 20 that never get read at a Sunday Communion service.
Yes, it is a little odd that Revelation 20 is consigned to Mattins on the Feast of St John Damascene, but Genesis 4 is all too good a fit for Evensong on the first day of the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity. Note, too, that Revelation 12 is invariably the Epistle at Michaelmas, which is one of the better attended Red Letter Day (we get about a third of our usual Sunday congregation for the Michaelmas Sung Mass at Our Lady of Scrupulous Kalendrical Obedience, as opposed to a little over a 10th for, say, St Matthias).

Also, if it weren't for Evensong, where would generations of choristers learn such inspiring lines as 2 Kings 1:8: 'And they answered him, He was an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It is Elijah the Tishbite'?

--------------------
'It's not that simple. I won't have it to be that simple'.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
quote:
last Sunday's gospel reading (Luke 12:49-56), about families being divided and which contains the line "Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." This is a passage that would take an awful lot of careful explanation to unpack.

I preached on this very passage, along with "I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled". I did not find it easy to do, but there were people who commented on how it spoke to them, and that they appreciated the addressing of difficult topics, of which we have certainly had a few in recent weeks.
I'd add that fire isn't always about judgement:
quote:
We are able to lead life to the fullest because our hearts are filled with the gift of the Spirit that removes all unnecessary clutter. As Teilhard has said: The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." Teilhard de Chardin, The Evolution of Chastity', in Towards the Future (Orlando: Harcourt, 2002), 86-87.
The Way, July 2013

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have often wondered where Teilhard found his mushrooms

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some people may have missed the point that I was trying to make.

Personally, I welcome the chance to tackle some of the trickier bits of the Bible and help people to understand what they mean. But I am increasingly coming to the point where I don't think that this should be done in the context of a "main service" on Sunday - when (hopefully) there will be the greatest chance of seekers and visitors whose Biblical understanding cannot be taken for granted. Nor are they the kind of people who would easily sit through a 45 minute sermon, minutely exegeting such passages.

A couple of years ago, key people from our church worked their way through Bob Jackson's "Everybody Welcome" course. As a result, we have started to think more deeply about how outsiders perceive us and our services. So I find it quite pleasing that long-standing members of the church come to me and say things like "what on earth will that young couple over there (who are in church because they want to get married here) going to make of the gospel reading today?"

The Revised Common Lectionary was officially published in 1994, but its roots lie much further back from that. Basically, it comes from a time when it was still commonly assumed that almost anyone in church would have some sort of understanding of the Bible. In short, it really ain't "seeker friendly" because it makes no allowances for the possibility that there may be a considerable number of people in the church service who don't have the necessary pre-knowledge to make sense of the readings, especially if they are not explained in the sermon.

So I would argue that the RCL needs to be looked at again, from the viewpoint of "how will these readings be understood by seekers and those new to the faith"?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By "RCL" do you mean "Roman Catholic Lectionary"?

The new three year lectionary is problematic as opposed to the traditional one year lectionary. The main reason for this is because it was plastered together by a committee rather than being the result of centuries of liturgical tradition. The result is scripture - often rather obscure - for the sake of scripture. This often leaves the people puzzled by the relevance of the readings to the liturgical calendar.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check out the ever reliable Wikipedia article on RCL.

However there are no morning and evening prayer texts in RCL. Sorry I have spent sometime looking for it. You can check this out at Consultation on Common Texts (CCT)page on the RCL. For those with problems here CCT are the group that produced the Revised Common Lectionary.

Where the CofE differs from the CCT version then it is CofE that is out of step with the ecumenical process behind this text not CCT.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
By "RCL" do you mean "Roman Catholic Lectionary"?

The new three year lectionary is problematic as opposed to the traditional one year lectionary. The main reason for this is because it was plastered together by a committee rather than being the result of centuries of liturgical tradition. The result is scripture - often rather obscure - for the sake of scripture. This often leaves the people puzzled by the relevance of the readings to the liturgical calendar.

'Revised Common' not 'Roman catholic'.

And it isn't 'new' It's 20 years old and in need of serious revision,.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And it isn't 'new' It's 20 years old and in need of serious revision,.

Twenty years in liturgical terms is the equivalent of a twinkle in a father's eye.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
The thing that I like about the lectionary is it does force you to consider many parts of Scripture you would rather do without if you had your own choice.

Nothing is forced in the ELCA, except perhaps the attendance of seminarians at synod assembly. You could do what my pastor does, and just change the readings to whatever you want, whenever you want.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oscar

Last Sunday was the beginning of the academic year for our university. I would say quite a few young people actually identified with the point of family division. They see it already in their own lives, especially the upper classmen/woman. Our pastor talked about how sometimes parents hope their kids continue to go to church to conform to expectations, our pastor said his job is to transform lives via the Gospel.

Olaf, if your pastor chooses to go on another tangent, more power to him/her. But I think the pastor is robbing you of the opportunity to struggle with the appointed passages.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Olaf:
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

Nothing is forced in the ELCA, except perhaps the attendance of seminarians at synod assembly. You could do what my pastor does, and just change the readings to whatever you want, whenever you want.
I must say that while I've seen ELCA pastors choose to omit one or more of the readings, I've never attended an ELCA service where the pastor had selected his own readings rather than using the lectionary. Admittedly that may be selection bias. When I decided to leave the UMC for a more liturgical denomination I seriously considered the ELCA as well as TEC, so I visited several local Lutheran churches, but I only visited the churches with weekly Communion. I probably passed over the less liturgical Lutherans.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Try:
I must say that while I've seen ELCA pastors choose to omit one or more of the readings, I've never attended an ELCA service where the pastor had selected his own readings rather than using the lectionary. Admittedly that may be selection bias. When I decided to leave the UMC for a more liturgical denomination I seriously considered the ELCA as well as TEC, so I visited several local Lutheran churches, but I only visited the churches with weekly Communion. I probably passed over the less liturgical Lutherans.

Oh, our church follows the liturgical book quite closely, and we do have weekly Communion, but one never knows what one will encounter with pastors. One of the ELCA's biggest problems is the lack of a unified liturgical identity. Each church, mostly prompted by the pastor, has enough of its own idiosyncracies to make it greatly different from other ELCA places. I think Gramps 49 said once that the liturgical movement was losing ground in the ELCA, and that pretty much sums it up.
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds just like our dear old C of E. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd add that fire isn't always about judgement:

I think I would say it rarely is; fire irt people represents purification or sanctification, imo.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Indeed - and today's epistle talked about God being like a refining fire.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:

Quite the opposite IMHO (or IMNSHO). I'll leave aside the themed seasons (Advent/Christmastide, Lent/Eastertide) whose themes do get expressed in either the old 1-year or current 3-year lectionary in its variations (though better in the latter). Addressing just the times after Epiphany and the time after Pentecost/Trinity (aka Ordinary Time) I fail to see where tradition produced other than an obscure hodgepodge.

Thank God that the RCC was inspired to produce the 3-year lectionary, and thank God that so many other Christian churches were inspired to adopt it, primarily in its RCL form. I think it has been a true blessing to the western church. One is exposed to more scripture and in a somewhat orderly way.

Does it have room for improvement? Undoubtedly -- human beings were involved in its preparation. But I have utterly no interest in going back to the old lectionary, either in its BCP or RC form.

On another subject, speaking of daily lectionaries, the folks that produced the RCL also produced a 3-year daily lectionary which is a far less successful effort I think. I think the best daily lectionaries are the US BCP daily office lectionary, and, when a briefer lectionary is wanted, the RC weekday eucharistic lectionary.

Finally, my spell check doesn't think lectionary is a real word. What does that say about the state of western culture today?

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when did "seeker friendly" mean "nice and cuddly"? This is about Jesus Christ, not Hello Kitty.

Anyway, I think the RCL avoids the "difficult" passages far too often. We need longer chunks of scripture, and more coverage of the whole Bible, not shorter and fewer.

The icky bits of Samuel are very well worth reading, and worth preaching on. Think of it as the Bible's equivalent of The Godfather. These are not nice people and their story is a tragedy. Same goes for large parts of Genesis.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should perhaps have been more accurate. The RCL has nothing to do with Evensong texts etc. They give a single set of readings for the main Sunday service. The rest is the good old CofE.

In other words if you do not like the readings for morning, evening prayer, you are free to do so, but do not blame RCL. They have not produced any such lectionary.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I should perhaps have been more accurate. The RCL has nothing to do with Evensong texts etc. They give a single set of readings for the main Sunday service. The rest is the good old CofE.

In other words if you do not like the readings for morning, evening prayer, you are free to do so, but do not blame RCL. They have not produced any such lectionary.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

Today we can blame the RCL though. I'm sure our church was far from alone to have the pythonesque spectacle of the reader taking far longer to climb the lectern than the length of the first reading at the Communion Service. The result was inevitably barely-suppressed laughter. That one really should be edited to be vv.1-7.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Well except the full OT was for the semi-continuous:
Jeremiah 2:4-13

and for the complementary
Sirach 10:12-18 or Proverbs 25:6-7

Now of course my view is you should use the semi-continuous. It will be harder to link, but you will be treating the text with more integrity, and that is what any low church should be doing. If you are more Catholic then you did have the option of Sirach!

It just shows you how Via Media lets you down.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Well except the full OT was for the semi-continuous:
Jeremiah 2:4-13

and for the complementary
Sirach 10:12-18 or Proverbs 25:6-7

Now of course my view is you should use the semi-continuous. It will be harder to link, but you will be treating the text with more integrity, and that is what any low church should be doing. If you are more Catholic then you did have the option of Sirach!

It just shows you how Via Media lets you down.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Sorry this computer seems to be automatically posting twice.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Finally, a week with a short RCL reading. I hope none of you here squandered it with an interminable sermon! [Paranoid]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016