homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Man of Steel

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Man of Steel
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight I finally saw the new Superman film. And rather wished I hadn't. To my mind it was an ugly film, violent and depressing, without any of the hope and optimism that Superman used to embody (and which his chest emblem was supposed to represent). Even the colour of his costume, a dirty blue, seemed to be a pollution of the primary colours he used to wear. Batman is meant to be dark and cynical, but Superman used to be the positive alternative.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. but it made me wonder - is there any place for hope in popular culture at the moment?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I felt it was humourless, and hit me over the head with Christ imagery. The scene where he has to make the decision to sacrifice himself - set in a church, talking to a priest, with the camera focussing on the crucifixion scene in the stained glass window? Owww, stop hitting me!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First cinema outing in a while.

Man of Steel = disappointment on celluloid.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I felt it was humourless, and hit me over the head with Christ imagery. The scene where he has to make the decision to sacrifice himself - set in a church, talking to a priest, with the camera focussing on the crucifixion scene in the stained glass window? Owww, stop hitting me!

The scene was actually Gethsemane, but totally agree with you. Especially about the lack of humour.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad we waited and saw it at Cheap Seats - the second-run cinema which is less than half the price of the regular showings. Not horrible, but not good.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016