homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Baby Boomers (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Baby Boomers
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baby Boomers. Even though I am one, I hate them.

They grew up in times of economic expansion, cheap everything, low interest rates, easy to get jobs, government services actually existed, pension plans, yadda yadda. They still plug up all the good jobs and wonder why young people seem to have limited direction, and not seeing the obviousness of their causing it all by not retiring at a normal age.

And they still whine. They racked up all the debt, spent all the money, and now still think the world should revolve around them. They are enemy, should be burnt a week longer in the Lake of Fire than everyone else come the apocalypse.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I blame the parents.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And they continue to be pandered to by successive governments, as they know they're much more likely to turn out to vote...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
And they continue to be pandered to by successive governments, as they know they're much more likely to turn out to vote...

And this is a problem how? Since when is political apathy a Good Thing?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
...and now still think the world should revolve around them.

I belong to the generation ahead of them--the Silent Generation. They have always demanded that people listen to them and understand them, but they have no inclination to listen to or understand other generations.

To be fair, they're not all like that. However, the ones who are like that manage to make themselves heard.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Boomer. My parent's are the "me" generation, the ones who invented debt financing to have things they wanted now while passing the bills to their kids - which they told us was fair, "you kids are getting the education, we are debt-financing the schools so you can be the ones who pay off the debt."

They created social security so they wouldn't have to fund their own parents' old age, voted themselves social security increases every year so much that they received back every cent they put in after just a few years and gravy from then on - Boomers will break even at best.

Boomers are not the generation that looked for easy living. I'm the generation that marched to stop a war when the parents said "protest is unpatriotic." I'm the generation that battled for civil rights - equal treatment for blacks and for women - when the parents said "wait another generation or two." And kept on marching even after a friend's fiance was one of the three seminary students murdered at the bridge.

Yes we had to "sell out" and "work for the man" to pay the rent, but we brought blacks and women into the management positions with us. And awareness of the importance of the ecology.

Tell me again, what's the complaint about Boomers?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Since when is political apathy a Good Thing?

Since never, but that wasn't my point. My point was that successive governments (in the UK) continue to chip away at those of working age, and - even worse! - those who do not yet work: vast, vast tuition fees for those going to University, slashing education maintenance allowance. And yet "those of riper years" who have considerable means (and clearly this is not everyone who is retired) get off comparatively lightly. Anything that will negatively impact upon those past retirement age, however wealthy they may be, is dubbed a "granny tax" by the liberal press.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Belle Ringer said.

Plus I grew up while rationing was still happening, for a short while.

With rampant inflation, my widowed mother had to take cleaning jobs to keep me in school.

People wore dull clothes to work and only had a fortnight's holiday.

Homosexuality was illegal and people were blackmailed and/or committed suicide.

Then Thatcher came along.

Not so good then - read Dominic Sandbrook's series of books about the 60s and 70s.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Boomers' was an American import. When I was a kid, we were referred to as 'The Bulge'. On balance, I think I'd rather be a bulge than a boomer.

But isn't all this inter-generational, blaming claptrap just how those who are laughing all the way to the bank (the one they get a fat bonus from and have mega shares in, as often as not - and they ain't boomers, too young for that) divert attention?

Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trouble is, the yoof either complain that
quote:
boomers are sitting on all the good jobs
or that
quote:
boomers retire early and then we have to support their welfare payments.
Seems to me that short of a genocide of the over-50s, you can't have it both ways.

(Ooh! Logan's Run!)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

They grew up in times of economic expansion, cheap everything, low interest rates, easy to get jobs, government services actually existed, pension plans, yadda yadda. They still plug up all the good jobs and wonder why young people seem to have limited direction, and not seeing the obviousness of their causing it all by not retiring at a normal age.

And they still whine. They racked up all the debt, spent all the money, and now still think the world should revolve around them. They are enemy, should be burnt a week longer in the Lake of Fire than everyone else come the apocalypse.

[Overused]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:

(Ooh! Logan's Run!)

But they looked so happy floating up on Carrousel. Come on Adeodatus, Renew!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

[Overused]
Now I am really really happy. Beeswax is back and we agree! (Least ways I haven't seen you for a while, and I have missed your crisp no-nonsense approach)
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

- Posted      Profile for argona   Email argona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know, now I'm an OAP, I'm increasingly pissed off to hear my pension called 'welfare'. I frigging paid for it! And if I live so long that I'm a net drain on the nation's budget, that's because of my generation's contribution to medical advance. Bugger off!
Posts: 327 | From: Oriental dill patch? (4,7) | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by argona:
You know, now I'm an OAP, I'm increasingly pissed off to hear my pension called 'welfare'. I frigging paid for it! And if I live so long that I'm a net drain on the nation's budget, that's because of my generation's contribution to medical advance. Bugger off!

As a Young Working Person, well said! People do love to call everything welfare whenever they don't like to pay it. Similarly when I was laid off, I was also not on welfare. I was on unemployment insurance that I had earned all those years working for that company.

[ 22. August 2013, 16:54: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

Not you of course, Adeodatus!
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The whole idea of a 'normal' age to retire is problematic. Some of the conventions around retirement came into being at a time when living to the retirement age was not a common achievement.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welfare is what kids get. And they haven't paid anything into it, they expect it as a right.

OAP have contributed, through taxes, to nearly everything they receive.And even, through taxes, to things they would rather not receive.

Tell me again, why you hate the old, no_prophet? You're a blot on society.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:

Really? Where are you from? In Canada, the gov't plan is paid for by the current contributions as a deduction on paycheques from those currently working. The old pension plans run by companies were "defined benefits" where you get a guaranteed amount based on pay when working and years of service. Many of these are under funded and are being paid by currently contributing workers.

The new plans are merely saving accounts where workers are actually having to personally save in an investment account, both their's and an employer contribution. Let's current workers off the hook and the individual is totally responsible.

Baby boomers have the good pensions. We've been told that many of them take our around $6 for each $1 they put in. So I'll bet you haven't paid for your pension at all. It is being paid by others.

And worse, you probably get seniors discounts on bus rides and concert tickets.

My error I suppose was to go to univ until I was 29. I ended up missing the groovy gravy train. So I'm pissed off at being a honorary member of the Generation Without A Name. (I am certainly not Gen X.) Dog crap douche bag puke chunk baby boomers. [Mad]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a Baby Boomer who went to university until I was 30 and have worked in universities since. I suppose that's the gravy train. [Yipee]
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You know, now I'm an OAP, I'm increasingly pissed off to hear my pension called 'welfare'. I frigging paid for it!
I have no doubt you did, and I presume you mean via your taxes, unless you live in a country where one pays into a specific individual retirement fund throughout their working life.

However, there are plenty of retirement age who didn't, and they are not subject to the sort of sneering insult that other recipients of welfare receive, in my experience. No, all senior citizens 'deserve' their pension, because, after all, they paid for it. But take my mother, for instance. She worked in paid employment for a whole four years in this country, before giving it up to raise a family*. She is not treated or viewed any differently than any other pensioner, that I know of, but under the 'I've earned it' rationale, she should be.

You need to come up with some other justification for handing out pensions to cover the broad sweep, such as that it is both a sensible and humane thing to do, and a sign of a society where people are valued for more than just their economic output. Unfortunately this rationale applies pretty well to other kinds of 'welfare' also.

- - - - -

*Let me just acknowledge, before the flood of complaints, that raising a family IS a job, one of the hardest of them all, and the contributions of homemakers should not be overlooked by society or government. But this is beside the point when discussing having paid for something via tax on one's income, because last time I checked, it paid pretty poorly.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Actually believe it or not, you have not. You have paid for the welfare to be provided while you worked. What comes to you afterwards is from the pay of those who are now working. The government has no reserves made up of the money you have paid.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a trailing edge baby boomer who may be retired very soon in the U.S. I've paid taxes and Social Security my whole life and have noticed that Congress in it's zeal to not raise taxes or lower expenditures spent all the social security money as it came in for important things like having a larger military than the rest of the world put together. Now the rhetoric starts about how the baby boomers are standing in the way of a world with no taxes but still all the spending on what Lobbyists think is important.

I have a 401(k) savings account because I've worked in private industry. This is a good thing because most of the companies I worked for aren't there anymore. While my compatriots who worked for the government still have defined pensions, the states and cities have never put aside enough money to pay for the pensions. What's happening now in Detroit is going to follow in almost every city and state. It will be like the airline industry where a new CEO takes the company through bankruptcy to shed all those inconvenient defined benefit pension obligations.

I've noticed a growing hatred for boomers, and it's quite understandable. The following generations have been screwed by paying outrageous tuitions and racking up student loan debts that can't be discharged through bankruptcy. The growing health care costs continue to be ignored for the benefit of those who profit from the drug and medical business establishment.

In short, for most generations in this country, most of us are screwed. It's unfortunate that we're going to fight among ourselves for the few scraps.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The whole idea of a 'normal' age to retire is problematic. Some of the conventions around retirement came into being at a time when living to the retirement age was not a common achievement.

If you sit at a desk all day and push paper around, go to meetings and yak on the phone, you can work well past retirement age. But if you do physical labor, you still need to retire at the usual retirement age, if not sooner. Every time people talk about how folks are living longer and we should shift the retirement age to later in life, I notice that this is always coming from people who spend most of their working lives sitting on their asses.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am semi retired (work two days a week) and my husband is too (he works one day a week). We are both 56.

We are very lucky and enjoying it very much.

Our two boys benefited from our baby boomer investments. One was able to afford to train as an airline pilot and one to set up home in Heidelberg.

I don't apologise or feel guilty - what would that achieve?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
quote:

Actually believe it or not, you have not. You have paid for the welfare to be provided while you worked. What comes to you afterwards is from the pay of those who are now working. The government has no reserves made up of the money you have paid.

Jengie

You're correct about how the cash moves, but my point stands. I funded the previous generation's old age. Now I'm getting old myself, it's not unreasonable to expect the same consideration. If the money's simply not there we have a problem.

But this kind of inter-generational blame shifting misses the point, though it suits some. We've been screwed by the take-the-money-and-run culture of the 80's and 90's. For which many share responsibility, including those post-boomers who were happy to live like there's no tomorrow. Emphatically not that whole generation. Just those on the make.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Every generation has relied on the next generation to care for it in its old age! Yes you were fortunate you were in western countries when the population was still rising. Caring for people in old age when there are lots of young people is easy, caring when there are few is hard.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
would love to belong
Shipmate
# 16747

- Posted      Profile for would love to belong   Email would love to belong       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it that western societies aren't prepared to look after their old folk in comfort and dignity and yet deny the ill elderly the right to take their lives with medical assistance? Either care for them or let them choose to exit painlessly and with assistance if continued living without proper care is too much to bear.
Posts: 331 | From: Lost and confused | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

If you sit at a desk all day and push paper around, go to meetings and yak on the phone, you can work well past retirement age. But if you do physical labor, you still need to retire at the usual retirement age, if not sooner. Every time people talk about how folks are living longer and we should shift the retirement age to later in life, I notice that this is always coming from people who spend most of their working lives sitting on their asses.
You do realise you just proved my point by outlining one of the factors that makes a big difference to retirement age?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

argona
Shipmate
# 14037

Living like there's no tomorrow? Actually, when I was growing up, it seemed like that but in a rather different way.

A few markers...

Daily reports in the newspaper we had delivere, on radiation levels from atmospheric nuclear tests.

Russian and American tanks nose-to-nose in Berlin.

The Cuban crisis. Sitting in class, watching the clock tick round to the time when, according to the news, US warships would intercept a Russian missile convoy. Waiting for the sirens, the world going bang.

Flicking through pages of a new diary, one Christmas, wondering how many I'd live to write on.

A friend saying, "It would have been nice to grow up."

Every generation has its fears - plague, famine, conventional wars - but while worries about personal survival are part of life, the belief that sooner or later, our luck couldn't hold, EVERYTHING would end, and not in some religious apocolypse with the saved tripping off to some lovely afterlife. Just, the end, for everyone. This was something new.

What did we do, me and my 'boomer' friends? We kept calm and carried on. Began careers, took out mortgages, started families/ But when was it? Around 1990. The Berlin wall had come down, the Soviet bloc was falling apart. Fukiyama was writing about the 'end of history' (fat chance!) One evening, I was getting my infant child ready for bed and it hit me... she would actually outlive me. I would die, but she would live on, and her children too. It shocked me, how deeply pessimism about the future had taken root in me.

So, yes, we did provisionally think about the future. But maybe our hearts weren't in it.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Baby boomers will be our own downfall because there are so many of us. The benefits enjoyed by the previous generation are being fast eroded - it might have looked good even 5 years ago, but not now, or for the future.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Baby boomers will be our own downfall because there are so many of us. The benefits enjoyed by the previous generation are being fast eroded - it might have looked good even 5 years ago, but not now, or for the future.

I suppose we wuz lucky for a while because in many countries the population of earlier generations was artificially depressed, notably the number of men. Plenty of boomers to pay for comparatively few pensions for their parents, but not so many Generation X'ers to pay for ours.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

Though in fact, the birth rate seems to be rising. Glory be!
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

For my part, I'll take on the chin what the demogaphics and the economics say. It's the whining guilt-tripping that gets up my nose. Fuck off.
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

You do realise you just proved my point by outlining one of the factors that makes a big difference to retirement age?
I wasn't arguing with you.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't forget their antics in church. Oh, the sandals! And the "contemporary" music that is older than me. And their write-your-own-liturgy-for-x tendencies.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put it down to a lack of good grandparenting. Nothing teaches tradition, order, manners and good taste like Grandma in her glory.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

...so wait, we're now blaming this on people who probably died in the 1960s?

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but they had the decency to die after just a couple years after retiring. This whole living for a couple decades after retiring is clearly bad for society.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Yes, but they had the decency to die after just a couple years after retiring. This whole living for a couple decades after retiring is clearly bad for society.

Time to put 'peaceful pills' on sale in the chemists?
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Latest suicide statistics released here today show people over 85 have the highest suicide rate, so it doesn't seem too good for those who live that long either.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[tangent]

I've heard that when the "Welfare State" level pensions were introduced (post-1945) there was some debate about the qualifying age. The Man at the Top (either Attlee or Truman, I can't remember if this was the UK or USA) asked how much we could afford and what life expectancy was for men. His advisors said "We can afford three years each and they live to 68". Hence the age 65 pension age.

It was that well thought out.

[/tangent]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
argona
Shipmate
# 14037

Yes, that's how it was. And even in the 70's, when I qualified, I read that on average, a teacher who retired at 65 was dead by 67.

Ah well, if my pension dries up and I still have my marbles, I guess I'll shift my lazy arse back into the job market.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Maybe the solution is the youth in Asia, or euthanasia. Or both. ?

So asks a Gen X friend in exactly those words with all they both imply.

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, that's how it was. And even in the 70's, when I qualified, I read that on average, a teacher who retired at 65 was dead by 67.

I doubt teaching was such a brutally tiring occupation even in the 70's. In the US in 1975, a 65 year old had an additional life expectancy of 16.1 years, according to the Centers for Disease Control. And even in 1950, it would have been 13.9 years.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a feeling that, when the enormity of the birth bulge hits the 75 plus age group, Euthanasia will magically be made much easier. Then, when the bulge passes, the next generation will beat their breasts in horror as to how it could possibly have been allowed. Until the next bulge materialises....

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soylent Green

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:

Not so good then - read Dominic Sandbrook's series of books about the 60s and 70s.

I recently read Seasons in the Sun and was depressed to note that (once adjusted for inflation) my salary is the same as a 1970s lorry driver (I am a lawyer).

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow.

An earlier book quoted 'You've never had it so good.'

Maybe true as far as drivers are concerned now.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far nobody's actually defined which baby boom they're referring to. A major boom occured just after World War 2, followed by another in the early 1960s, whilst we're probably in the midst of one right now. AFAIK the peak occurred in 1962 - in GB at least.

Each age has faced different challlenges and opportunities, and I can't believe that life or living standards have actually become tougher for any age than for the one before. Most perceived difficulties stem from growing expectations. For example, how many 'struggling' younger people take foreign holidays, eat take-aways, own more than four changes of clothing and spend time relaxing instead of sitting at a table repairing things?

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016