homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Wedding Music from Heaven

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Wedding Music from Heaven
pererin
Shipmate
# 16956

- Posted      Profile for pererin   Email pererin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a tangent from the Hell thread, where questions were beginning to fly about people's ideal wedding music, I thought I'd start a thread where people could post what they chose when they got married, or what they would choose were they to get married (again).

So to kick it off, Mrs P and I had:

Entry: Prince of Denmark's March – Jeremiah Clarke
Hymn: O Perfect Love (Perfect Love (Barnby))
Hymn: O Arglwydd Dduw Pob Hyfryd Ddawn (Tyddewi)
Anthem/Signing: Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring – J.S. Bach
Offertory Hymn: All Things Bright and Beautiful (Royal Oak)
Communion Hymn: Cân fy Nhafod am Ddirgeledd, i.e. a Welsh translation of Pange Lingua (Kensington New)
Recessional: Crown Imperial – William Walton

--------------------
"They go to and fro in the evening, they grin like a dog, and run about through the city." (Psalm 59.6)

Posts: 446 | From: Llantrisant | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had:

Entry: Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Hymns: Love Divine, Amazing Grace, Guide Me Now Oh Great Redeemer [*].
Anthem: Magnificat in G, Stamford
During signing of registers: God be in my Head (Davis); If Ye Love Me (Tallis)
Recessional: Mr Blue Sky (ELO) [**]

Following the service we walked from the church through the local town centre to the reception accompanied by two dhol (bangra) drummers. They were LOUD.

[*] Narrowing down the hymn list took quite some time. I still slightly regret not being able to squeeze in Be Thou My Vision.

[**] To some I suspect this may qualify as a 'Weddings from Hell' music but it was fun.

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Own wedding music:

Bridal entrance : Processional from music for Richard III (Walton)
Hymns : Love divine, all loves excelling Blaenwern, Angel voices (Monk tune), O Praise ye the Lord Laudate Dominum
Psalm : 128 to a chant written for the occasion
Responses : written for the occasion
Registers : Rejoice in the Lord (Purcell)
Recessional : Final from Symphonie No 6 (Widor)

Seemed to go down well with all present.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got married twice in one day.

The first time was at our church, in front of a small group of family. We hired a cellist to play Bach cello suites throughout. We let him chose which ones, with the exception of a special request for the G major prelude as the opening.

The second time was at the Viva Las Vegas wedding chapel on the wrong side of the Strip in Vegas. Our Elvis impersonator had us say quick vows, and then sang "Viva Las Vegas."

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Entrance: A 13th century unaccompanied choral piece "Alle Psallite" by that well known ubiquitous composer Anon.

Opening hymn: God is love, let heaven adore him (Sung to "Blaendwern")
Gradual Hymn: Before the throne of God above (bride's choice)
Offertory hymn: All for Jesus (my choice)
Closing hymn: Lord for the years (chosen by both of us)

Anthem while signing the registers was Thou O God art praised in Sion by Malcolm Boyle and during the communion was Mozart Laudate Dominum with my niece singing the soprano solo.

Recessional: I honestly don't remember!

[ 18. November 2013, 17:35: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't remember what I and my bride chose for Wedding Music, but I vaguely recall a trumpet voluntary (Clarke's I think) The hymns were well known at the time, and we chose them so people would join in.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. reckons that we had the first Nuptial Mass to be held in St. Magnus Cathedral since the Reformation - the Cathedral belongs to the people of Kirkwall and is used by the Church of Scotland. Our service was based on the Book of Common Prayer; the communion was taken by everyone and administered by the elders in the Church of Scotland tradition. We wondered what people would think but many of the guests said it was one of the nicest wedding ceremonies they'd ever attended ...

I came up the aisle to everyone singing the Vaughan Williams arrangement of All people that on earth do dwell (Old Hundredth - D's favourite hymn)

During the signing of the register the choir sang God be merciful unto us and bless us, a setting of Psalm 67 that D. composed for the occasion

Come down, O Love Divine (Down Ampney)

Christ is made the sure foundation (Westminster Abbey)

Recessional: Carillon Sortie - Mulet

Bad music isn't an option when you marry a cathedral organist. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Entry: The Andante from Hayden's Trumpet Concerto.

Hymns: Guide me o thou great Jehovah and How lovely on the mountain are the feet of him.

Registers: Naima (John Coltrane)

Hymn: Great is thy Faithfulness

Recessional: Mendelssohn's Wedding March

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Entry: Sonata II of Sonatas and Interludes, John Cage. Preferably the Kolundžija recording.
Hymn: Breath on Me, Breath of God to the tune of "The Test That Stumped Them All" (Dream Theater)
Offertory Hymn: Cold Hard Cash, Angelspit
Interlude for Registry Signing: a chainsaw juggler will entertain accompanied by anonymous Dubstep played at distortion levels.
Recessional: Étude ultrachromatique for Fokker 31 tone organ, Ivan Wyschnegradsky

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Entry of the bride: Trumpet Tune - Purcell
O Praise ye the Lord
Psalm 67
Love Divine
Communion hymn: And now O Father, mindful of the love
Ye choirs of new Jerusalem (our wedding was in the octave of Easter)
Register signing: Largo, allegro & two variations - Festing
Recessional: Toccata - 5th Symphony, Widor

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016