homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Underrated folk

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Underrated folk
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are there characters in the Bible who deserve more credit and respect than they usually get? For instance, do you think Esau and Noah's wife are underrated? In the New Testament, how about Martha and Joseph (not to mention some disciples who are mentioned once and then seem to disappear)?

(I'm not sure whether this belongs here or in Heaven.)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my former teachers (some 30 years ago) was quite fond of the Canaanite woman:

Matthew 15:21-28

What impressed my teacher is that this is one of the few (possibly the only) times where Jesus changes his mind. He dismisses the woman saying that he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel (i.e., not to console Canaanites). He relents when the woman persists.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jael - wife of Heber the Kenite.

She entertained the fleeing general Sisera and gave him the best hospitality "butter in a Lordly dish". Settled him comfortably for the night then drove a tent peg through his temples with such gusto it went into the ground.

Certainly Deborah rated Jael - her song in the book of Judges gives details of her treatment of Sisera.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabus

A guy who was able to see talent, encourage it and then disappear off to obscurity. Such folk are very, very rare.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Barnabus

A guy who was able to see talent, encourage it and then disappear off to obscurity. Such folk are very, very rare.

I agree -- I've sort of made Barnabas my own personal patron saint due to his choosing John Mark over Paul.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite characters is the man born blind.

At each point in the story he responds with what he understands at the moment.
quote:
So they said again to the blind man, ‘What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened.’ He said, ‘He is a prophet.’
We know that this man is a sinner.’ He answered, ‘I do not know whether he is a sinner. One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.’
He answered them, ‘I have told you already, and you would not listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you also want to become his disciples?’
The man answered, ‘Here is an astonishing thing! You do not know where he comes from, and yet he opened my eyes. We know that God does not listen to sinners, but he does listen to one who worships him and obeys his will. Never since the world began has it been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a person born blind. If this man were not from God, he could do nothing.’

I like the way the man 'calls it as he sees it' in a completely down-to-earth manner.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
One of my former teachers (some 30 years ago) was quite fond of the Canaanite woman:

Matthew 15:21-28

What impressed my teacher is that this is one of the few (possibly the only) times where Jesus changes his mind. He dismisses the woman saying that he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel (i.e., not to console Canaanites). He relents when the woman persists.

She gets my vote, too.

All in all, it is a remarkable story. I find it interesting that I've heard so many preachers try and explain this passage in terms of "Jesus knew what he was doing all along. He didn't change his mind at all (because Jesus can't ever be wrong)."

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016