homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » shipmate names

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: shipmate names
jerrytheorganist
Shipmate
# 4720

- Posted      Profile for jerrytheorganist   Email jerrytheorganist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all, I have a question. Would referencing a shipmate by a purposed misspelling of their user name be considered a first commandment offense?
Posts: 94 | From: Plainville, Kansas, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's done deliberately outside of Hell, then yes, it would be a violation of Commandment 1 and probably Commandment 4 as well. In Hell though, anything goes.

Do you have a reason for asking?

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jerrytheorganist
Shipmate
# 4720

- Posted      Profile for jerrytheorganist   Email jerrytheorganist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had seen a shipmates name purposefully misspelled and yes it was in hell. Which brings up another question, does a thread that starts in hell and gets moved to another board need to be edited to remove these misspellings or would the hell rules continue? (Such as a thread in hell moved to oblivion.)
Posts: 94 | From: Plainville, Kansas, United States | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rules are board and not thread specific. So posting here in the Styx you must first powder your wig and put your hand on your heart. If this thread was moved to heaven, you then have to gaze upwards and hum Handel. Hell; cackle and type whilst wringing your hands together. For this reason alone, I dare not post in dead horses...

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jerrytheorganist:
I had seen a shipmates name purposefully misspelled and yes it was in hell. Which brings up another question, does a thread that starts in hell and gets moved to another board need to be edited to remove these misspellings or would the hell rules continue? (Such as a thread in hell moved to oblivion.)

We don't edit threads moved from Hell to Oblivion or Limbo. In Limbo we make it clear that the thread was originally in Hell, and if we edited out the Hellish elements then there would be little point holding onto it as an example of a very good Hell thread. It's a lot of work to edit titles of all threads before moving them, and so we don't do that for Oblivion, it would usually be obvious that a thread was in Hell anyway.

We very rarely move a thread from Hell to an active board, and then it would almost always be a only a few posts old and the Hellish content would be very mild and limited (if it wasn't mild and limited there would be no thought of moving it).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shipmate names often do not show up in spellcheck so it will not be obvious to the dyslexic that it is a mis-spelling. I have seen a shipmate who has admitted to dyslexia on the boards mis-spell shipmate names (Palinpest for Palimpsest was my favourite). No malice was intended and I have never seen the hosts intervene on these occasions.

Just goes to show how fair our wonderful hosts are [Big Grin]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just checking for my own info. When we talk about "deliberate misspellings" is this misspellings that are offensive in some way? Just checking because I often compress people's names to save typing. As an example I am regularly referred to as Jay-Dee or JD - neither of which I mind but I confess to shortening people's names in exactly this way. Is this unacceptable on board Ship?

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just go with what's polite in real life. In real life if youdon't know someone, or you want to be polite, you would use "Mr Smith", but is they're someone you know "John" is more normal.

Here, with screennames rarely following the conventions of "given name" and "family name" it isn't as simple as choosing between "Mr Smith" or "John". As such we do tend to choose other informal versions of the names, abbreviations being one of the most common. This is fine, so long as the Shipmate concerned hasn't made it clear that they have carefully chosen that particular name and would appreciate it if you use it.

For me, "Alan" is fine. "Dr Cresswell" has been used on occasion. "Sir" always works [Biased]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, sir! That helps!

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016