homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is evangelism nosy?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is evangelism nosy?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provoked by several posts about people talking about their religion, I felt this was worthy of discussion. Personally, I find people 'on fire' with their faith, often are a little too zealous to ask personal questions and give personal information. Questions like "are you saved" or "do you know Jesus?", often followed by some explanation of some of their life events that they consider to represent divine intervention.

I find these intrusive and off putting. I would tend not to discuss such things with any but those with whom I am well acquainted (and contradictly apparently mostly anonymously, like on these forums). Particularly because I find excessively personal approaches to faith disturbing and the ideas that anyone can be so certain very troubling.

So, do you consider trying to tell someone about your beliefs and faith personal, and to ask them about their's nosy, like I do?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just the terrible twos i think. New converts too excited (or nervous) to realize how they're coming off. It's a common stage of development, and as long as they don't get stuck there too long, we can just roll our eyes at them.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a difficult thing... I keep trying to think of ways to introduce the ideas without stating the obvious. Everyone in my country 'knows' about Jesus, but they don't know my Jesus. And I can't even adequately explain him to my own kids, so what point is there. I should be writing this on the other thread.

[ 27. December 2013, 03:26: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two good analyses in a row. Terrible twos and knowing my Jesus. I like them. I will be quoting both. -- but is it more than this?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it perhaps a matter of style as well as substance?

There used to be a fabulous greetings card of a man sitting on the toilet with another man sitting on the edge of the bath apparently talking very earnestly to the poor chap.
The caption read:
"Name, found the new window cleaner somewhat over familiar..."

So over-familiar rather than nosy would be my take on what you describe no prophet.
But quite why people behave like that, I'm not sure. It could be a mixture of personality, their church culture and other things.
I can think of people I know who are the same about other causes they have enthusiastically embraced, outside of the faith arena and they can be a bit wearing too!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hospitality, friendship, kindness, charity, patience with no agenda whatsoever timelessly evangelize far more effectively than some modern desperate damnationist agenda that NEVER works.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why don't the Schism churches do it? More sense? I remember a few years ago how some tried here to pity us poor Prods for rejecting their Marian narratives and missing out and when in my pursed lipped, downturned mouthed puritanism I stated that one couldn't find it in the Bible or rhetorically asked where one might, it caused a flinched Parthian retreat.

Don't blame you!

Evangelicals and other proselytizing cultists seem to think that their weird, culturally irrelevant baggage is easier to put on someone.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Schism Churches are those?

If you're RC or Orthodox then everyone else is in schism from you ...

The RCs and the Orthodox do evangelise, but it looks quite different, by and large, to the way Protestants of the evangelical persuasion do it.

There are some similarities though, and both Churches do engage in proselytism too whilst insisting that they don't ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The GREAT capital ESS one. Vey star'id it. I know the RCC does in Africa obviously. Where does the Orthodox? In the former Soviet empire I presume. How does the RCC evangelize in its former domain? Italy, Spain, France, Ireland, Poland? England? Scotland?

--------------------
Love wins

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Orthodox have a 'diaspora' ... in the Americas, in Australia etc ... There have been some significant Orthodox missions - to Alaska in the 18th century, to Japan in the 19th/early 20th.

There are even Orthodox churches in African countries like Ghana and Kenya where they appealed to some people because they weren't associated with the colonial authorities.

And the Orthodox evangelise here in the UK too ... from an admittedly small convert base.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most converts to anything go through a cage stage. So any movement in which converts are a significant number will also exhibit cage stage like characteristics.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Questions like "are you saved" or "do you know Jesus?"

Best answered with a vigorous shaking of the head and a big HELL YEAH!. (Tends to put them off stride).

quote:

So, do you consider trying to tell someone about your beliefs and faith personal, and to ask them about their's nosy, like I do?

If they ask, then I see no problem.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I consider such questions nosy. If this is someone's notion of evangelism, then (a) he needs to do some market analysis to decide where to put his efforts, and (b) he needs a drastically better, subtler approach.

Has anyone actually converted to Christianity after such an approach?

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

The Orthodox mission to Alaska will have been under Russian colonialism as it will have been in Siberia before it. The one to Japan (why?!) is intriguing. Disappeared without trace I take it. I admire the Japanese resistance to US Baptists. Non-{Greek, Ukrainian, Russian, Syriac, Coptic} Americans and Australians and Canadians converting to Orthodoxy won't be in significant numbers, less than those converting to Catholicism.

Evangelicalism is well past its sell-by date now too.

--------------------
Love wins

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's worse, to me, is responding in the affirmative to "Yes, I'm a Christian" with a battery of questions intended to ascertain if I am in fact a Real Christian[tm]. I find this rude and insulting, and so far I haven't gotten a coherent response from any of the questioners as to why they can't simply take me at my word.

PS My favorite response to "Are you saved?" Is "Yes; I was saved on a hill outside Jerusalem about 2,000 years ago." Drives some Evangelicals crazy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

That's why LutheranChik, I started responding 'it's unlikely I believe precisely as you do', which is of course true, because I don't believe in such questions.

chris stiles - what do you mean by cage stage? This sounds like something is trapped to me.

-- Are these evangelical questions and statements part of a discussion or more sermon like? i.e., someone is the teacher or minister and some other(s) are the audience? Do some of us shipmates ask some of these questions? and what do you do if the person listens and then, say, tells you about Krishna or, here, the Creator (from First Nations native perspective)?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some years ago I was introduced by a friend to someone they knew, in a Christian bookshop. The first question from the new acquaintance was; 'Have you been baptised in the Spirit?'

I smiled and declined to answer. I found it far too intrusive for an introductory comment.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
That's just the terrible twos i think. New converts too excited (or nervous) to realize how they're coming off. It's a common stage of development, and as long as they don't get stuck there too long, we can just roll our eyes at them.

[Overused] [Overused]
As so often LC, your words are wise.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard
... The Orthodox mission to Alaska will have been under Russian colonialism as it will have been in Siberia before it. The one to Japan (why?!) is intriguing. Disappeared without trace I take it. ...

Not so Martin. Follow this link.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose it's a bit awkward to be addressed by an enthusiastic evangelist who's in a different spiritual place from yourself, but those encounters can be interesting. I'd rather have them than not, if only because it's rare that we're invited to talk about our faith outside the context of our own churches. (And it can be rare inside some of our churches too!!)

I've never experienced someone getting nasty with me because they couldn't convert me in five minutes. That would be unpleasant. But I don't necessarily put any reference to hellfire and damnation in that category. If there's such a thing as a hell, I might end up there; but so could anyone. We live on faith. Our Christian hope is in God's mercy. A non-Christian would probably be more offended by the subject matter, though.

As for the personal questions, does anyone really want to hear all about the spiritual journey of someone they've only just met? I doubt it.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading through the posts, I am reminded of Aesop's fable of Wind and Sun taking off a traveler's coat.

When people ask me if I am born again, they come across like Wind.

I return the question saying: "Why yes, every day." Often times the questioner will then ask what do I mean. This gives me the opportunity to share what Luther said about praying the morning prayer.

I hope this comes across like the sun.

I drive a cab. Often times I get Chinese or Arab students using my services. I do not ask such questions--if I did, I would likely be fired; but if they ask questions about Christianity, I will share what I believe. I will even invite them to experience my church.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

1:4000 Japanese, certainly a trace.

--------------------
Love wins

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

chris stiles - what do you mean by cage stage? This sounds like something is trapped to me.

When someone converts to a new belief system, they are often so bowled over by their new found worldview that they become downright obnoxious and intolerant in the way they deal with others. Notionally they'd almost be better off being kept in a cage until they learn the maturity to be able to relate to people again.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016