homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gay Shaming?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Gay Shaming?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this story from this time last year, a high school principal gave two boys who were fighting the choice of suspension or holding hands for an hour.

My take on this is that it is sending the message that two men holding hands is shameful -- which seems to me to be homophobic. A gay friend doesn't read it this way, and thinks that forcing a bully to hold hands with a gay boy he was bullying may make him "think twice" before he bullied a gay person again. And thus it could actually be good for LGBTQ high school kids, not bad.

I also am opposed to shaming as punishment on general principle, and it seems to me like bullying in and of itself. It seems abusive.

What do people think?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me to be better to have them work at a useful project side by side - amicably or it doesn't count and they'd have to work some more another day. That way they might be forced to start seeing each other as people.

But, yeah, the way it was done plays into homophobia, IMO.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to know how much of the reaction of the boys - and the other students around them - was actually intended by the principal. Just because they appear deeply embarrassed and people laughed at them, doesn't mean that the shaming was actually the principal's intention.

I suspect someone here in this story is homophobic. I'm just not sure precisely who.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
A gay friend doesn't read it this way, and thinks that forcing a bully to hold hands with a gay boy he was bullying may make him "think twice" before he bullied a gay person again.

Where do you get the idea that one of the boys involved is gay? I didn't see that in any of the articles I read.

I think that the principal's intention was exactly to shame the boys, because holding hands with another teenage boy is embarrassing, because it makes you look gay.

So I think there's plenty of homophobia to go around - by the principal and by the children.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by mousethief
I also am opposed to shaming as punishment on general principle, and it seems to me like bullying in and of itself. It seems abusive.

Surely part of the thing about public justice is that those found guilty should be held up to public censure - shame, if you like.

That is why there is a good case to be made for defendants in some cases - mainly to do with sexual assault allegations - being anonymous until and unless a guilty verdict is reached.

This element is well-recognised: its why cases in the Family Division involving children are only reported using initials and where, if necessary, cases are heard in camera (private) so that minors are spared from being identified in cases involving their warring parents.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
A gay friend doesn't read it this way, and thinks that forcing a bully to hold hands with a gay boy he was bullying may make him "think twice" before he bullied a gay person again.

Where do you get the idea that one of the boys involved is gay? I didn't see that in any of the articles I read.
Sorry I wasn't clear. That was an example he gave for how this could be a good thing for gays at the school -- not a description of this case.

quote:
I think that the principal's intention was exactly to shame the boys, because holding hands with another teenage boy is embarrassing, because it makes you look gay.
Yes, that was what I thought also.

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be forced to hold hands with a kid who had been bullying me.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
whitebait
Shipmate
# 7740

- Posted      Profile for whitebait   Email whitebait   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my (all male) school in Edinburgh in the 1970s a schoolteacher (known to be an evangelical Christian) spotted two boys touching eachother's hands under the desks.

He called them to the front of class, and said words to the effect that people who were that way inclined should be prepared to be open about it. He then made them run three times around the school buildings whilst holding hands.

Despite the fact that this was during classes, and few others would have seen them, our class had seen it, and the two boys were most embarrassed. I recall the uneasy silence in class during the whole incident.

It was very definitely an attempt to shame and humiliate the two boys, and in retrospect says more about the teacher's homophobia. It certainly left an impression on me. I came out very much later in life.

--------------------
small fry on a journey

Posts: 151 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It wouldn't work here where boys hold hands with and drape themselves around the neck of male friends, as girls do with one another - and where boys hold hands with their dads up to all sorts of ages and male friends hold hands in the street or when just having a chat - I sometimes think that unless they are physically in contact they cannot communicate as well.

I think it is wonderfully healthy!

In your story I think the principal is probably well-meaning but a bit of an ass.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
quote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be forced to hold hands with a kid who had been bullying me.
Thinking of the bullies I experienced in school, I'm sure one of them would try to squeeze the shit out of my hand.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. Yes. Memories.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My parish now includes a fair contingent of refugees and immigrants from Burundi. One of the interesting things that I as a white North American male in his 60s had to learn was to be willing to hold hands with a (male) priest in his 40s. Not a lot, and not long. But still.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It's hard to know how much of the reaction of the boys - and the other students around them - was actually intended by the principal. Just because they appear deeply embarrassed and people laughed at them, doesn't mean that the shaming was actually the principal's intention.

I suspect someone here in this story is homophobic. I'm just not sure precisely who.

The students seem publicly humiliated. Is it possible that the principal just reinforced in those students' minds that it is okay when you are in a position of power to subject to humiliation others who cannot defend themselves? I'd much rather he had stipulated they work together, as suggested upthread...supervised, of course. Perhaps some counseling, too.

Parent/student consent or not, they should have never been put in the position of making a choice between this or suspension.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Rievaulx
Shipmate
# 16860

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Rievaulx   Email Aelred of Rievaulx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This anti-homophobic bullying video from Ireland uses hand-holding in a wonderfully positive way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrJxqvalFxM

--------------------
In friendship are joined honor and charm, truth and joy, sweetness and good-will, affection and action. And all these take their beginning from Christ, advance through Christ, and are perfected in Christ.

Posts: 136 | From: English Midlands | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016