homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Meaning of Christianity

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Meaning of Christianity
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a spin-off from the All-Saints 'Doubting' thread, a place where we can discuss what Christianity means and where it feeds into our doubts.

We have many angles to work with: including church tradition, scriptural symbolism and interpretation, theological thinking as to how it applies IRL, and experience of God (or lack of it).

To kick off, Garasu said:
quote:
Isn't being "Christian" about feeling oneself released to a world free from sin?
here.

This is far from my way of thinking, although I think I see where it comes from. We are able to let go of past hurts with God's help, and we do live in the hope and promise of a world without pain, ie heaven.

Being Christian for me is about living in experiential relationship with God through Christ, who we desire to follow with the help and gifts of the Holy Spirit, the greatest of which is love.

What Christianity isn't, imv, is having to follow a set of rules or having to believe anything other than that Jesus lives and God exists.

Discuss.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Being Christian for me is about living in experiential relationship with God through Christ, who we desire to follow with the help and gifts of the Holy Spirit, the greatest of which is love.

You've started in the direction that always loses me: "experiential relationship with God...". I don't get experiential things. I get that I follow a routine and a set of principles, and try to follow, and of course, miss the target. I get nothing at all within my present-day experiences, only encouragement from living positively as a follower. Mostly I get the idea that faithfulness because we can do no other (in Luther's phrase) is it, and there is only decoration and hopeful interpretation otherwise.

So I think probably Christianity is in practice in the world: much decoration, much elabouration, much hopeful interpretation. With the core being merely trying to be a follower and letting the rest take care of itself. I have no quarrel with things that move people in positive directions (i.e. forward in faith), but worry about having faith rest there, versus resting on the basic simple parts. Jesus was killed soon after his declaration of his body and blood, and why should we not expect to be similarly killed (and otherwise mistreated*) while God watches and does not intervene? Yet we remain faithful (and are offered examples what not to do via Judas and Peter, God rest both their souls).

*if Jesus had been female I expect he'd have been raped too. Or maybe he was?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any point trying to find a single meaning? I think this thread is likely to become a list of testimonies about what Christianity means to ME and since none is likely to be right or wrong - just different -- there's nothing much to discuss.

FWIW I'm more like NoProphet mainly because I am generally suspicious about interpretation of feelings.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
You've started in the direction that always loses me: "experiential relationship with God...". I don't get experiential things. I get that I follow a routine and a set of principles, and try to follow, and of course, miss the target. I get nothing at all within my present-day experiences, only encouragement from living positively as a follower. Mostly I get the idea that faithfulness because we can do no other (in Luther's phrase) is it, and there is only decoration and hopeful interpretation otherwise.

So I think probably Christianity is in practice in the world: much decoration, much elabouration, much hopeful interpretation. With the core being merely trying to be a follower and letting the rest take care of itself. I have no quarrel with things that move people in positive directions (i.e. forward in faith), but worry about having faith rest there, versus resting on the basic simple parts. Jesus was killed soon after his declaration of his body and blood, and why should we not expect to be similarly killed (and otherwise mistreated*) while God watches and does not intervene? Yet we remain faithful (and are offered examples what not to do via Judas and Peter, God rest both their souls).

*if Jesus had been female I expect he'd have been raped too. Or maybe he was?

Thank you No Prophet. I'm as lost with a set of principles and a routine as far as faith is concerned as you and anteater are with experience, but I'd argue that each helps to feed into the other. Unless we occasionally are touched by 'the numinous', a profound sense of peace, or a sense of God being with us when we pray, or worship, or serve God, I think it more likely that our doubts will grow.

It seems, however, that most people who are struggling with doubts connect them with '101 things that I should believe' or with experience of church and the imperfection of fellow Christians more than any other reason, even the theodicy question. A friend of mine found training for ministry very difficult as a simple faith was challenged by so many questions. We should of course question, but throwing out ideas about Christianity shouldn't mean throwing out God.

I'm not expecting others to approach the faith from the same direction as me, but I do think it a good thing to sit lightly to all that's said about Christianity - which is meant to help rather than hinder faith - and to focus simply on Christ, whether within ritual, routine, principles of life, worship, or contemplative prayer. And so I do agree with you.

Anteater, I don't mind if this thread goes nowhere, I wanted to provide the alternative to the All Saints thread as some were straying into Purg territory. I am interested to hear how others perceive Christianity, and ready to discuss all aspects of my faith. It's not about a right way and a wrong way, more about alternative perceptions.

--------------------

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being a Christian means that I find God through Jesus Christ. It's not the only way to find God and I don't necessarily think it's the "Best" way to find God. But it is the best way for me, and is the way that is authentic to my experience.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

I think we need both kinds of Christians. You might very crudely say that the former are too much heart and the latter too much head. Together they create more of an equilibrium, although the two are increasingly found in different churches or denominations, since they find it hard to relate to each other.

Regarding the title of the thread, I don't have the theological inclination or ability to state in any objective way what Christianity 'means'. I just want to follow Jesus, and I believe - hope - that the divinity in him will connect me and others with the divinity of the Father, and so help us in this life and in the life to come. Jesus gives me hope that the world isn't a cruel waste of time, and that in spite of appearances, God is with us. Sin is ever present, but it doesn't have to define us.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm as lost with a set of principles and a routine as far as faith is concerned as you and anteater are with experience, but I'd argue that each helps to feed into the other. Unless we occasionally are touched by 'the numinous', a profound sense of peace, or a sense of God being with us when we pray, or worship, or serve God, I think it more likely that our doubts will grow.

Except I have has this numinous thing once maybe in about 1975 and I'm not sure that that is what it was.

For me, it's like having a dream of a chocolate cake, not sure about ever having tasted it in it's cakey goodness though I might have, sort of I think. Then on every subsequent birthday being told I'm supposed to merely recall the dream of cake while others tell me that they taste it all the time and I think 'what's the matter with me?'. So I attend church where they follow a liturgy and do it rather routinely and relentlessly.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I said on the 'Doubting' thread that a lot of Christian rhetoric has little meaning for me now. For example, when people speak of Jesus or Christ, I don't know what they mean. Do they mean that they actually have a flesh and blood Jesus present in their life? Or do they mean the idea of Jesus? Or an image?

The idea of God seems easier for me, as I have always had 'transcendent' type experiences, since I was a kid. But I'm not sure how they apply to any particular religion, or maybe all of them.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I said on the 'Doubting' thread that a lot of Christian rhetoric has little meaning for me now. For example, when people speak of Jesus or Christ, I don't know what they mean. Do they mean that they actually have a flesh and blood Jesus present in their life? Or do they mean the idea of Jesus? Or an image?

How can we have a flesh and blood Jesus in our lives now? Have I missed the Second Coming??

Interestingly, I once read somewhere that in the '70s popular attention was focused very much on Jesus, whereas in a later decade the focus was more exclusively on God (i.e. God the Father, I suppose). I suppose Jesus would fit in with hippy culture to a certain extent, but I don't know what would make God the Father more of an appealing figure in the 90s or 00s. In fact, I'd have thought the Holy Spirit would be more the suited to the age, but apparently not. I can see how different aspects of God would appeal in different cultural and social conditions, though.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

How can we have a flesh and blood Jesus in our lives now? Have I missed the Second Coming??

Interestingly, I once read somewhere that in the '70s popular attention was focused very much on Jesus, whereas in a later decade the focus was more exclusively on God (i.e. God the Father, I suppose). I suppose Jesus would fit in with hippy culture to a certain extent, but I don't know what would make God the Father more of an appealing figure in the 90s or 00s. In fact, I'd have thought the Holy Spirit would be more the suited to the age, but apparently not. I can see how different aspects of God would appeal in different cultural and social conditions, though.

So if Jesus isn't a physical thing for you, what is he?

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Non-physical? God the Father isn't physical either. Is that an issue? In some religions it might be.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I strongly disagree.

As far as I'm concerned a major facet of the incarnation and resurrection is that there has been an incredible change in the Godhead whereby it now includes the person of the Son in human form, albeit a transfigured, resurrected form. To borrow a quasi-biblical (I think) phrase that has stuck with me since my charismatic days, there is now "a man in heaven" where there was not one before. The person of the Son has been incarnate since the Nativity, and that is an irreversible change.

This clearly does not mean we have a flesh-and-blood Jesus hanging round here on earth (and where he and heaven might be in the physical universe is one of those mysteries). It seems pretty clear from Jesus' teaching in John, for instance, that our relationship (or, walk, if you don't like the idea of relationships) with Christ is through the person of the Holy Spirit.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:

Excellent point re head and heart. Though in my thinking through, I wondering if it is the "doing" that is important. The ideas of the head and the feelings of the heart which don't quite "do" it. Hence reprising my mention of the "doing" of liturgy but thumping it more clearly just now. And that churchy doing to be part of daily doing.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feeling somewhat embarrassed that an off-the-cuff remark of mine inspired an entire thread!

However...

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
The person of the Son has been incarnate since the Nativity, and that is an irreversible change.

This clearly does not mean we have a flesh-and-blood Jesus hanging round here on earth (and where he and heaven might be in the physical universe is one of those mysteries).

What's the church if it's not the ongoing presence of Christ?

Is it fallible?

Clearly.

How do we live with that?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
I strongly disagree.
[..]

It seems pretty clear from Jesus' teaching in John, for instance, that our relationship (or, walk, if you don't like the idea of relationships) with Christ is through the person of the Holy Spirit.

Fair enough! As I said, I don't claim to have any theological credentials. Jesus might be 'physical' in heaven as a result of his physicality on earth, but as you say he's not here with me in 'flesh-and-blood', so....

It's interesting that people relate to Jesus more than to the Holy Spirit. Liturgies might be exacting, but personal spirituality is more Christocentric, IMO. We sing songs directly to Jesus; the mediation of the Holy Spirit is referred to less often. We finish our prayers 'in the name of Jesus Christ' rather than 'in the name of Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit'. We even curse (well, I don't...) in the name of the Father and the Son, but the Holy Spirit is left alone. Hmmm.

[ 18. January 2014, 20:31: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We sing songs directly to Jesus; the mediation of the Holy Spirit is referred to less often.

Don't get me started...

The absence of a trinity in orthodox trinatarianism...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

In reference to my previous post:

To be more precise, the use of 'Jesus Christ' as an expletive is more unpleasant to me than the use of 'God'. Were someone to refer to the Holy Spirit in this way it would mostly just sound eccentric.

The reasons behind this aren't entirely clear to me. Popular spirituality, or something.

[ 18. January 2014, 20:44: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Gwalchmai
Shipmate
# 17802

- Posted      Profile for Gwalchmai         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You've started in the direction that always loses me: "experiential relationship with God...". I don't get experiential things.
I was brought up in the church from birth (hardly surprising as my father was a clergyman) but I have never had what I would describe as an experience of God or a meeting with Jesus. So for me Christianity has been part of my life, a habit one slips into and occasionally out of. I have difficulty believing the traditional interpretations of Christian mythology as they are preached Sunday by Sunday in so many churches. I have said on other threads that I have trouble with the concept that Jesus's death somehow made God forgive us when he would not otherwise have done so.

But I find the alternative non-religious world view, propounded in its most extreme form by Richard Dawkins, bleak and empty.

So although I tend to describe myself as a Christian agnostic, I am a member of my local church and I am happy to talk with other Christians about their understanding of faith, and to read what others have said on these matters, to help me on my journey through life (call it a pilgrimage if you wish) and search for understanding and meaning.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
quote:
You've started in the direction that always loses me: "experiential relationship with God...". I don't get experiential things.
I was brought up in the church from birth (hardly surprising as my father was a clergyman) but I have never had what I would describe as an experience of God or a meeting with Jesus. So for me Christianity has been part of my life, a habit one slips into and occasionally out of. I have difficulty believing the traditional interpretations of Christian mythology as they are preached Sunday by Sunday in so many churches. I have said on other threads that I have trouble with the concept that Jesus's death somehow made God forgive us when he would not otherwise have done so.

But I find the alternative non-religious world view, propounded in its most extreme form by Richard Dawkins, bleak and empty.

So although I tend to describe myself as a Christian agnostic, I am a member of my local church and I am happy to talk with other Christians about their understanding of faith, and to read what others have said on these matters, to help me on my journey through life (call it a pilgrimage if you wish) and search for understanding and meaning.

This is an interesting post to me, as I've been a Christian for 50 years, but I am quite quickly losing contact with it in various ways. As you say, the notion of an experience of Jesus seems very mysterious to me - but I think that some people probably do have this.

I find the notion of an experience of God much more vivid and real. So after all these years, I can't really see the point of the Christian view! Presumably this says that Christ is our connection with God? But in what way, concretely?

And most replies that I get seem very vague and abstract. I guess that doesn't matter to them. So it goes.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:

As another child of a clergyman -

Do you think that had you been brought up in an environment where happy, contented and fulfilled people readily accepted the "Dawkins world view" you would still feel a need to search for "understanding and meaning".

I suspect that if we didn't teach human beings that the supernatural exists* most would live more contented lives.

*and since it probably doesn't we'd also be acting rather better in a moral sense as well, wouldn't we?

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
What's the church if it's not the ongoing presence of Christ?

It's the collective gathering of those who mediate the presence of Christ to the world by the power of the Holy Spirit*.

quote:
Is it fallible?

Clearly.

How do we live with that?

Yes, as Paul says, we have this treasure in jars of clay. Living with that involves dealing with the axiomatic "now and not yet" aspect of Christianity.

As I understand it, Bethel (of Bill Johnson and Redding, Califorina fame) believe that the present-day church on earth is the incarnate, headless body of Christ and as such its members are supposed to be doing exactly what Christ did, how he did it (e.g. walk on water, not be ill). Once their KPIs are up to speed, the Head will return.

This is an extreme, over-realised eschatological answer to your dilemma. I think it takes the image of the "body" (which, after all, we use in the abstract form in English all the time, e.g. "a government body") far too literally. "Ongoing presence" is much better [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Garasu:
quote:
We sing songs directly to Jesus; the mediation of the Holy Spirit is referred to less often.

Don't get me started...

The absence of a trinity in orthodox trinatarianism...

Nonsense. To my mind, orthodox trinitarianism shows the Spirit as the discreet member of the Trinity. Look at the role of the Spirit as described by Jesus in John 14-16. The Spirit is active but nothing is centred on the Spirit.

I agree that the Spirit does get neglected in some orthodox trinitarian circles, but over-emphasising the Spirit is just as bad, and songs and prayers are a bad example to pick. If our prayers and songs are directed much more at Jesus and the Father I think it's because, unlike the other two persons, you'd be hard-pushed to find prayers and songs directed at the Spirit in Scripture.

Over-emphasis on the Spirit ends you up with the kind of distortion you see in Bethel.

[* ETA in fact it is you who have left out the work of the Spirit in your description of the Church here!]

[ 19. January 2014, 07:49: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Eutychus wrote:

It's the collective gathering of those who mediate the presence of Christ to the world by the power of the Holy Spirit*.

You will have to forgive my questions, as I am struggling with all of this, but how do you discern that that is what is happening? Can you tell when it is happening, and when it isn't?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

One could answer that in a number of ways.

I could give you some Scriptures that suggest it (for instance when Paul talks about believers being the "fragrance of Christ" - note this is said to be the case without anyone trying to do anything).

I could give you some anecdotal evidence of times that I've felt the presence of Christ to be particularly true or seen things I've taken as evidence of it.

I could probably give you some non-christian, sociological explanations of the same phenomena, and I'm sure others here could do the same better than I could.

At the end of the day this question has an abstract, theological side and a social side; the latter makes it highly subjective. I don't think psycho-social explanations automatically empty a concept of theological value, though. As far as I'm concerned, I choose to believe what I think the Bible says about the church, and it makes sense to me. I'm not sure I can do better than that.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Eutychus

That's fine, thank you. I don't think I'm going to find a 'solution' really. I am just leaving it all behind; it's kind of sad, but also a relief. Wow, 50 years, I've been a Christian.

Ou sont les neiges d'antan? OK, mods, where are the snows of yesteryear?

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

I agree that the Spirit does get neglected in some orthodox trinitarian circles, but over-emphasising the Spirit is just as bad, and songs and prayers are a bad example to pick. If our prayers and songs are directed much more at Jesus and the Father I think it's because, unlike the other two persons, you'd be hard-pushed to find prayers and songs directed at the Spirit in Scripture.

I'm most familiar with Methodism, and in the Methodist Church we famously sing our theology. If our songs pay little attention to the Holy Spirit then so will our lay understanding of theology. I feel it's unwise to dismiss the theology of hymns and prayer, since this is where most most lay Christians get their theological material from other than the Bible - but that's just my religious background speaking.

What religious tradition do you currently belong to?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Ou sont les neiges d'antan? OK, mods, where are the snows of yesteryear?

I hate to be cheesy, but since you bring up this expression it may be worth pointing out that there are "seasons" in our spiritual journey. I think God, and belief, are not experienced in the same way at all times of life. Neither he, nor you, are shackled to one way of living out faith, and it may simply be that you haven't become aware of a new one.

quote:

That's a hard one. Mostly mine, of course, which is precisely at the extremely balanced and orthodox middle, taking the best of all traditions and none of the worst [Big Grin] .

(Well, sort of anabpatist non-conformisty neo-Brethren with a sprinkling of the Spirit but defined more in liberal than charismatic terms. One Shipmate I described the church I help lead to on meeting for the first time said "wow, that sounds really Emergent", so I guess we must also be emergent, entirely by accident. Is that clear? [Biased] )

I think you misunderstand me about hymns. The point I was making was that the vast majority of hymns and songs over the history of the church are addressed to the Father and the Son, or alternatively are a sort of joint exhortation and addressed to each other, precisely because in Scripture there is very little if any occurrence of prayers or hymns addressed to the Spirit - so the songs we sing reflect the tradition that the Spirit is not addressed directly.

(I have of course now found a Methodist exception to this. "Dear Lord and Father of Mankind" includes a verse addressed to the Spirit ("o still small voice of calm") and appears to be United Methodist Hymnal no. 358. But it is the exception not the rule).

Not usually addressing the Spirit, however, is not the same as not mentioning the Spirit, which I think plenty of hymns probably do. In over-realised eschatalogical charismatic circles, not only will you find far more "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs, you will also find many more addressed directly to the Spirit, with I would suggest the off-the-railsness of the likes of Bethel being the result/cause. So I agree with you about the importance of singing more or less orthodox things.

In fact a defining moment in my journey out of over-realised eschatological circles was when I realised that the song, popular in this environment, It is the church, was effectively a song of praise to... well, the people singing it.

[ 19. January 2014, 15:31: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Eutychus wrote:

I hate to be cheesy, but since you bring up this expression it may be worth pointing out that there are "seasons" in our spiritual journey. I think God, and belief, are not experienced in the same way at all times of life. Neither he, nor you, are shackled to one way of living out faith, and it may simply be that you haven't become aware of a new one.

Yes, good words. I am going minimal for now; and I know that I am not an atheist. Maybe out of the minimalism will arise a new flower! Or maybe I will stay minimalist. It is a journey, always surprising. More cheese: yesterday's snows are today's spring water, which fertilizes the snowdrops and crocuses.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

quote:

That's a hard one. Mostly mine, of course, which is precisely at the extremely balanced and orthodox middle, taking the best of all traditions and none of the worst [Big Grin] .

(Well, sort of anabpatist non-conformisty neo-Brethren with a sprinkling of the Spirit but defined more in liberal than charismatic terms. One Shipmate I described the church I help lead to on meeting for the first time said "wow, that sounds really Emergent", so I guess we must also be emergent, entirely by accident. Is that clear? [Biased] )

Errr....

Sounds like a place for ex-evangelicals, and very theologically particular in its own neo-liberal way. But so long as the people who attend your church understand what's going on, that's all that matters!

Not being terribly invested in official theology, nor on a trajectory out of charismaticism (since Methodism is hardly charismatic these days) I think I'm going to have to continue to get my theology from a hotchpotch of sources, including hymns. Your posts have been very interesting.

(BTW, I do know the hymn you mentioned. Another one I can think of is 'Spirit of the Living God').

[ 19. January 2014, 16:46: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

Some thoughts.....

I wonder whether the idea of God wanting to dance with us is the best we're going to get, as a certainty. We might feel as if we may as well be dancing alone at times, depending on the kind of dance and the music playing, while at other times we're dancing so closely that the intimacy is ecstasy.

The one God in three persons demonstrates the dance, as with the mind, body and spirit that makes up each one of us. Jesus shows us the way into the dance and extends the personal invitation, opening his arms to embrace us. We accept and in turn invite him into our lives to show us the way, not only at baptism, but also every time we take communion, every time we worship with other people, and every time we serve God in our daily lives. Do we do so consciously each time? Should we?

If we sit it out for too long, we might tell ourselves that we imagined the whole thing. At times, we might feel like wallflowers waiting to see the outstretched arms. But istm that the message of the good news of Christ is 'Here I am, persevere, follow me, come and seek me out'.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016