homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » America's Mental Health System

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: America's Mental Health System
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like we have an official okay to beat schizophrenics to death in California.

This seems to be the end result of closing the mental institutions and letting "the community," care for the mentally ill.

I can't quit thinking about the young man's father. In the video you can clearly hear him calling for his "Dad." The poor man will probably hear that in his dreams forever. I can just imagine all the years these parents tried to get help for their son and were turned away from hospitals because he wasn't "a danger to himself or others."

Maybe we should start treating other sick people this way. Maybe someone will write a book about a mean nurse in a cancer ward and all the cancer centers will be closed. The ER's can then refuse care to cancer patients unless they're threatening to kill themselves or someone else. Think of the money we'll save.

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Looks like we have an official okay to beat schizophrenics to death in California.

This seems to be the end result of closing the mental institutions and letting "the community," care for the mentally ill.

I can't quit thinking about the young man's father. In the video you can clearly hear him calling for his "Dad." The poor man will probably hear that in his dreams forever. I can just imagine all the years these parents tried to get help for their son and were turned away from hospitals because he wasn't "a danger to himself or others."

Maybe we should start treating other sick people this way. Maybe someone will write a book about a mean nurse in a cancer ward and all the cancer centers will be closed. The ER's can then refuse care to cancer patients unless they're threatening to kill themselves or someone else. Think of the money we'll save.

An OFFICIAL okay? Really? The cops were on trial for murder and a jury found them not guilty.

That isn't OFFICIAL, for fucks sake.

It's that kind of hyperbole that makes people like you look stupid.

You can query why a jury found them not guilty, but I don't think any part of the judicial system was sidestepped on OFFICIAL orders.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to get more OFFICIAL than a legal precedent...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Living in a city nearby where the beating took place, I'm very disappointed in the verdict. The surveillance tapes (there was more than one) of the beating as well as the photo of the bloody pulp that was Kelly Thomas lying in his hospital bed pretty much tell the tale of homicide. Even our most right wing talk radio station that started out defending said cops ended up calling them murderers. How the jury came up with this travesty of justice verdict I'll never know. They're asking for their jobs back. I pray to God that never happens or we'll see this yet again.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rarely cry when reading the Ship. On this occasion I did. For him, his father and for society.

[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

It's that kind of hyperbole that makes people like you look stupid.

I'll be watching deano's posts in future for the total absence of hyperbole. Oh, wait, stupidity can take other forms.
quote:

You can query why a jury found them not guilty, but I don't think any part of the judicial system was sidestepped on OFFICIAL orders.

Mostly because police occupy a position of trust and that ought to mean that any test of their actions has to clear a higher bar than the actions of ordinary citizens. Right at the moment that doesn't appear to be the case in the UK or US. The police could dismantle that position of trust on their own.

Meanwhile, [Mad] [Waterworks] and [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Should we re-institutionalise?

I believe the philosophy for de-institutionalisation of a number of things ( including special needs kids at school) was that it was better for them.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's hard to get more OFFICIAL than a legal precedent.
A jury verdict is not a legal precedent, at least not in the US. It does not establish anything official, save for the guilt or innocence of the accused in that particular case.

There is no sense, rhetorical or otherwise, in which this verdict establishes that it is okay to kill the mentally ill (or whatever this thread is about).

[ 15. January 2014, 13:07: Message edited by: Jon in the Nati ]

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not just America's problem. I saw this story yesterday. We have some similar stories, and other stories of judges trying to figure out what to do with, here, particularly Fetal Alcohol Syndrome affected people who are charged.

Mental health does not have the resources any more. They took public services as offered with provincial programs and put them into regional health authorities, a process repeated across provinces in Canada. I think I saw an estimate of some 1/3 of people in conflict with the law have mental health problems.

I agree with both the sadness and the anger on this. Our societies do not seem to care about the most unattractive and disadvantaged of us much any more, which never may have been much, but it's less now.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

Should we re-institutionalise?

I believe the philosophy for de-institutionalisation of a number of things ( including special needs kids at school) was that it was better for them.

Yes, I do believe in re-opening institutions for some mentally ill people. Of course, anyone who is capable of living on their own, in group housing or with their family, wouldn't need these institutions, but for people who are severely ill and unable to care for themselves properly, or either unresponsive to or non-compliant with medication, then absolutely -- I think they would be much better off in a safe institution than living terrified and hungry on the streets. The worst cases are the ones who end up warehoused in prisons without any psychiatric care at all.

As for hyperbole -- Neither Deano, nor anyone else on earth will ever make me stop! I'd rather die than give it up.

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
... I believe the philosophy for de-institutionalisation of a number of things ( including special needs kids at school) was that it was better for them.

The philosophy for deinstitutionalization was that it was better for them to be cared for in their community. Since community care was never put into place anywhere patients were deinstitutionalized, the only reason was obviously money. The deinstitutionalized mentally ill wander our streets, talking to themselves, begging, prostituting themselves, self-medicating with illegal drugs, occasionally getting a bed at a shelter, and yes, many are killed by police. The irony is that caring for homeless people in emergency rooms has turned out to be orders of magnitude more expensive than institutional care.

At the end of the day, though, it`s not the health system that`s the real problem. The real problem is simply society`s attitudes about mental illness. Mental illnesses are not considered to be real illnesses; instead, they`re considered to be a personal weakness, or attention-seeking, or malingering.

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re community care:

Here in California, the slip-up seems to have been that the patients had to go somewhere to get their meds, and there was no one to make sure that they did that. So they wound up off their meds. Their sickness resurfaced, and they didn't realize they needed their meds. Eventually, they wound up living on the streets.

I don't know what the solution is, but it sure isn't that.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, ending up in prison rather does reinstitutionalise them anyway doesn't it?

If that is the case then surely for some it is a choice between institution.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soror Magna [Overused] You posted nuch more clearly than I could have what I was thinking.

Huia

[ 16. January 2014, 08:49: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
Mental illnesses are not considered to be real illnesses; instead, they`re considered to be a personal weakness, or attention-seeking, or malingering.

Or frightening.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Virginia state senator was assaulted by his own son who suffered from mental illness:

http://tinyurl.com/npm5v8q

This is still a very live issue here.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As for hyperbole -- Neither Deano, nor anyone else on earth will ever make me stop! I'd rather die than give it up.

Sometimes you rock. Twilight.

And deano? What Boogie said. Also, fuck you. I wouldn't piss on you if your heart was on fire.

[ 19. January 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Kelly said.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
This is still a very live issue here.

It's funny how things are live issues when important people are affected by them, isn't it?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For a start, calling it a "system" is paying it an undeserved compliment. "Morass" is more like it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016