homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is heaven/life after death like? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What is heaven/life after death like?
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahoy shipmates!

I'm interested in what you all think about what "life after death" or heaven is like?

Do we...
A) get to play harps whilst floating around on clouds having got past St. Peter at the pearly gates?
B) enjoy our resurrected/glorified bodies on the New Earth
C) who knows - it's a mystery!
D) none of the above - Please specify

Please note for the purposes of this thread I'm not really interested in the nature or existence (or not) of hell nor what the criteria for "getting into heaven" may or may not be. On the assumption you get there what will it be like?

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that heaven is just like this world, only better.

I love the concept of heaven that you find in popular books like "Proof of Heaven" by Eban Alexander.

Similarly, I look forward to an upcoming movie that presents it the way that I think it is, called, "Heaven is For Real".

I think that most people have this kind of intuitive understanding that this is what will happen to them after they die.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You wake up in splendid health in a beautiful meadow, surrounded by truly epic flowers and your deeply loved relatives and friends (at least the dead ones), the most beautiful birds and gentle deer that approach without fear. The drink and the food are the best you have ever tasted, the fruit is amazing, and the soft-boiled eggs are to die for.

You fret a bit about your surviving relatives who continue to make a mess of their lives (you can see them when you look over the edge), but you are easily distracted by the sublime music and the gorgeous landscape. There are tiny jewel like flowers in the short turf you walk upon. It's totally heavenly.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We perceive in five dimensions so I imagine that infinity is impossible to comprehend as we are now. Think of a child's crayon drawing of a vast landscape. Infinitely better in reality.
Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So it's simple wish fulfilment, in other words? And heavily based on C S Lewis's "The Last Battle", rather than on the revelations of St John.

Personally I rather like CSL's heaven, but I don't know if that's a valid reason to believe that life after death is anything like that.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would agree that to know what life after death is like is a mystery. I tend to lean towards Lewis's description in Lat Battle
but also I thionk that we are all young again all our loved ones are at hand and all the rot of this life is gone.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll go for c it's a mystery. All images are from the human imagination and are soon discredited, eg if you are with those you love, they can surely only be with you if they love you too, and what about other people they love but who you don't know, etc. A friend wondered how far back the ancestors would go - to 'Ug!'?

I do believe it will be filled with God's love, and that's good enough for me.

When reading about nde's the extraordinary dimensions, and bodies people will have which can move through walls etc show us how much we can't possibly imagine as it's outside our scope. It's fascinating if true that we'll be able to read the minds of the people who are still living in the world. Jesus said it was important to get our thoughts as well as our actions in line with God's will.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptor Eye: Please tell me that the dead CAN'T hear our thoughts!! I thought that was limited to God. Maybe my guardian angel can, I wouldn't put it past her but our relatives?! I don't want anyone in my head except God and the aforementioned angel. And even then... I do have some rather 'R-rated' thoughts sometimes. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A leaflet through the door said "You could spend eternity with your family" - if given the option I shall politely refuse.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a walk with a talk for as long as it takes for everyone for a start.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
You wake up in splendid health in a beautiful meadow, surrounded by truly epic flowers and your deeply loved relatives and friends (at least the dead ones), the most beautiful birds and gentle deer that approach without fear. The drink and the food are the best you have ever tasted, the fruit is amazing, and the soft-boiled eggs are to die for.

You fret a bit about your surviving relatives who continue to make a mess of their lives (you can see them when you look over the edge), but you are easily distracted by the sublime music and the gorgeous landscape. There are tiny jewel like flowers in the short turf you walk upon. It's totally heavenly.

This sounds like Ted Dekker's description of the Garden of Eden in the Circle series of books.

I don't think it's like that, or indeed any kind of reality-based view. I personally think we spiritually fuse in some way, with God, and experience incredible, immeasurable joy and love for eternity. Or something.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm extremely glad that I, and no one else either, actually knows what the afterlife is like, or even if there really is one.

Then I can't be wrong, and if there isn't anything, then I won't know about that, either.

And yes, I'm a depressed cynic. [Frown]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help but insert this hilarious clip from "The Invention of Lying."

The irony to me is that he is telling his mother the exact truth, whether he knows it or not - and that this is also what the average person really does believe anyway.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Maybe "hilarious" isn't the right word. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"What's heaven like?" always reminds me of "Not Only But Also" when Pete and Dud, wearing their raincoats and caps, but with wings on, are in heaven.

Dud: "Pete, what do we eat in heaven?"
Pete: "We eat ambrosia, Dud"
Dud: "Eeerrgh!"

(Ambrosia was a trade name at the time for a tinned 'creamed rice pudding')

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
I'm extremely glad that I, and no one else either, actually knows what the afterlife is like, or even if there really is one.

Wouldn't the more logical conclusion from that line of thought be that you don't know whether anyone knows or not? [Confused]

The premise of most world religions, including Christianity, is that some people DO know. Without a concept of divine revelation, religion is nothing but speculation and wishful thinking.

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
deano said
quote:
This sounds like Ted Dekker's description of the Garden of Eden in the Circle series of books.

Does it? I just made it up.

--------------------

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everyone. It seems the general consensus is "we don't know but it will be wonderful".

The reason for asking was I've been reading Tom Wright's book Surprised by Hope in which he argues that the "orthodox" (small-o) Christian hope is of resurrection. Therefore live after death is a two stage process of being with Christ in Paradise until the "last day" and the resurrection of the dead when our "eternal home" is actually a resurrected life on the New Earth (Rev 21).

So I was interested as to what the spectrum of opinion was out there (as a spectrum of belief is what I know I can rely on the Ship for [Smile] )

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
the "orthodox" (small-o) Christian hope is of resurrection. Therefore life after death is a two stage process of being with Christ in Paradise until the "last day" and the resurrection of the dead when our "eternal home" is actually a resurrected life on the New Earth (Rev 21).

I think that many Christians would be surprised to know that this is the orthodox view.

I was especially surprised when I learned that the orthodox view is that people wake up in heaven after they die, spend a long time there with Christ, and then return to Earth after the Last Judgment.

It isn't an idea that gets much press.

I think the more common idea is an either/or.

People either think of it in terms of lying in the earth "asleep" until the day of the Last Judgment, when they will arise bodily and live forever on a new earth.

Or they think that they will die and go to heaven (or hell).

I think that most Christian denominations officially subscribe to the former.

I think that opinion polls indicate that the latter is the more common belief among the general population, at least in the USA.

And I think that theologians typically don't believe either one. Instead they say that there is no basis for being certain about it and that our focus should be life in this world.

Do you agree?

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

Yes, I think you're spot on, Freddy. And I think the popular view of an idyllic, flowery, dead loved-ones filled afterlife owes more to late 19thC Spiritualism than anything else.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ahoy shipmates!

I'm interested in what you all think about what "life after death" or heaven is like?

Do we...
A) get to play harps whilst floating around on clouds having got past St. Peter at the pearly gates?
B) enjoy our resurrected/glorified bodies on the New Earth
C) who knows - it's a mystery!
D) none of the above - Please specify

A and B with lots of C intermixed.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
the "orthodox" (small-o) Christian hope is of resurrection. Therefore life after death is a two stage process of being with Christ in Paradise until the "last day" and the resurrection of the dead when our "eternal home" is actually a resurrected life on the New Earth (Rev 21).

I think that many Christians would be surprised to know that this is the orthodox view.

I was especially surprised when I learned that the orthodox view is that people wake up in heaven after they die, spend a long time there with Christ, and then return to Earth after the Last Judgment.

It isn't an idea that gets much press.

I think the more common idea is an either/or.

People either think of it in terms of lying in the earth "asleep" until the day of the Last Judgment, when they will arise bodily and live forever on a new earth.

Or they think that they will die and go to heaven (or hell).

I think that most Christian denominations officially subscribe to the former.

I think that opinion polls indicate that the latter is the more common belief among the general population, at least in the USA.

And I think that theologians typically don't believe either one. Instead they say that there is no basis for being certain about it and that our focus should be life in this world.

Do you agree?

Hi Freddy. First thing to say is that this is what Tom Wright claimed was the orthodox Christian view - I'm not claiming that!

My personal view was always your first option. That for those dying they "wake up" (instantaneously from their perspective, but having been asleep from ours) at the resurrection - and eternity is then as you say on the new earth.

I can also see that many would interpret "resurrection" in a spiritual fashion to mean that we are "resurrected" to new life in heaven immediately after we die and that this is eternal. I think this is the most commonly held view and the view that most people believe to be the "Christian" view.

Anyway I agree the important thing is what we do in this life and leave the next to God's grace and love. (Actually that is also one of Tom Wright's points IIRC). So I'm re-reading the book to try to understand his schema better.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven by Dr Paula Gooder is a good new scholarly book out on the topic. Very biblical.

I believe she was a student of Tom Wright and shares many of his views.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Heaven by Dr Paula Gooder is a good new scholarly book out on the topic. Very biblical.

I believe she was a student of Tom Wright and shares many of his views.

Thanks Evensong.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
First thing to say is that this is what Tom Wright claimed was the orthodox Christian view - I'm not claiming that!

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest that. You were clear.

--------------------

que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicodemia:
And yes, I'm a depressed cynic.

You take beautiful photos though.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We just keep on walking and talking until we're all deconstructed, healed, restituted, compensated, reconciled. And continue from there.

Watch the sublime Tree Of Life. Brad Pitt's finest film. And Sean Penn's. The end of that is the start. As it is in the original Solaris.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is one of the classic difficult topics. Most short, snappy descriptions of Heaven simply sound boring.

The two best descriptions of Heaven I have found were in TV shows. In a series called "WKRP", a character who was a DJ envisioned Heaven as an endless jam session including the best musical performers in history.

In the "Buffy" series, the title character at one point dies and is brought back to life. She describes her experience as:

"Wherever I was, I was happy. At peace. I knew that everyone I cared about was all right. I knew it. Time didn't mean anything, nothing had form, but I was still me, you know? And I was warm and I was loved and I was finished. Complete. I don't understand about theology or dimensions, or any of it really. But I think I was in heaven."

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I think this is one of the classic difficult topics. Most short, snappy descriptions of Heaven simply sound boring.

So true. And as Freddy commented upthread the whole subject doesn't get much press. Maybe because culturally death is a pretty taboo topic full stop and that therefore inhibits conversation about what comes after....

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel the need at this point to refer to St Adrian of Plass's wonderful poem When I'm in Heaven.

It has two wonderful qualities. Firstly my mother asked to have it read at her funeral - it gave her hope and comfort when dying from cancer and secondly, unlike every sermon I've ever heard on heaven, it doesn't make me not want to go.

Moreover I think Plass is his imagery captures something of the biblical truth. At home with God. I love the notion of God sitting in a field and chewing a straw to 'fill us in on how things really are' note that the field in question is full of sunshine and friends.

Of one thing I am sure, the very narrow views of heaven are way-off. How would a God who we can see is sooooooooooo creative make a home for us that's not full of his creativity?

And for me, who often struggles with the darker side of my mind - when the Black Dog won't leave me alone - the idea of heaven is often cold comfort for anything going on forever is extremely unappealing when all I want to do is sit in a corner and stop existing - for me Plass also calls on a great promise of heaven: "Tell me they'll be peace at last."

And we know that the peace of God surpasses understanding.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
shadeson
Shipmate
# 17132

- Posted      Profile for shadeson         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jammy Dodger
quote:

I think that there is a profound point that has not been mentioned.

Heaven is the Kingdom of God. Since there is no evil in that place, we no nonger have 'free will'.

That is not to say, no choices, but any desire to oppose God is frustrated.

Its a very interesting thought to meditate on. I guess most would say now that they are happy to do what God wants?

There is also the question of how much of our life here, will be remembered. For those who have suffered horribly - how could the memory be erased?

It is said that time is a great healer - and there will be no lack of that. Even so, my Mother in her extreme old age, was bitter about the lack of love toward her in her childhood (a combination of Victorian attitudes and an unwanted pregnancy).

I tend towards being a universalist regarding heaven, because final justice is something no one can explain to me.

The only answer seems to be that we may be literally 'born again' and our past told to us by a loving God. Some will be bitterly ashamed, some will be very angry at not being able to do want they want. Anyway, the idea of heaven being filled with children appeals to me.

I also believe St.Paul was right about a re-created universe. Our bodies an souls are made for the world we live in. How things will change in detail is beyond any ones idea.

Posts: 136 | From: uk | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Hence the need for a long walk with a long talk with stops in the meadow to lie down and chew grass.

If our complete transformation - with editing of memories?! - is instantaneous, then there is no point in a mortal life of suffering now. We could have gone straight to 'Go'.

That's what judgement 'day' is for. Our walk to Emmaus-Damascus.

--------------------
Love wins

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shadeson raises an interesting point. If I find myself in Heaven but I no longer have free will, then I will have lost an essential part of my identity and will no longer be quite the same person. In that case, I will in some sense have truly died.

I think that a way to resolve this is that in Heaven, time may no longer have meaning: we will be and not do.

Of course, the real problem here is the scarcity of empirical data.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few things in the Bible about it. God will wipe away every tear, no one will be disappointed. It will be paradise.

The NDE accounts from Christians I've seen suggest that they saw a city, very vivid colours more so than earth, music, relatives. It seems to have more dimensions.

Revelation tells of a new heaven and a new earth. Maybe believers get to visit the old heaven, the new heaven and the new earth ?

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Believers in what? I certainly don't want to go anywhere where belief is the price of entry. That would be hell.

--------------------
Love wins

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
We just keep on walking and talking until we're all deconstructed, healed, restituted, compensated, reconciled. And continue from there.

Watch the sublime Tree Of Life. Brad Pitt's finest film. And Sean Penn's. The end of that is the start. As it is in the original Solaris.

I cried my eyes out when I watched Tree Of Life. I felt as if God was speaking to me, personally, as I watched this incredibly symbolic movie. I'm so glad my wife and other roommate weren't home when I was sobbing and sobbing--how could I have explained the spiritual cosmic mind blowing that was taking place?

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He was.

I want to watch it every year now.

The second time was better than the first. Grace and nature. Women and men. God and man. Fathers and sons.

You MUST get to see the Soviet Solaris. NOT the Soderbergh remake.

How are yer teeth?

[ 26. January 2014, 21:19: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

--------------------
Love wins

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

An interesting point Shadeson. But I'm afraid I've learnt to steer well clear of the subject of free will on these forums so I'll just stick with "I don't know how that will work out" but I happy to take Jesus word for it "that if the Son will set you free you will be free indeed". I can only see that being even better in our resurrected life.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rarely hear a description of heaven that doesn't leave me shuddering with horror. Surely anything imaginable, extrapolated through unending time, would leave anyone screaming for the release of final death sooner or later.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

Life after death has to start now, or I won't be here to enjoy it.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Martin: I sent you a private message about my teeth situation. [Big Grin]

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I rarely hear a description of heaven that doesn't leave me shuddering with horror. Surely anything imaginable, extrapolated through unending time, would leave anyone screaming for the release of final death sooner or later.

For Heaven to be heavenly, I think that our concept of time will have to be adjusted. I saw this thing once... not a prayer but a saying... God talking about how He is not a God of yesterday or a God of tomorrow but the God of Now. I have also experienced that deep shuddering, screaming horror of trying to imagine an eternity--world without end--on and on and on... ugh, it's awful! But what I'm imagining is limited by my mortal self. I think life with God is going to be experienced as one constant Now. We just can't wrap our minds around this concept because we are mortals, living with a past, a present, and a future. So, don't go off the deep end just yet! I truly do believe it will all be okay. More than okay, in fact.

--------------------

the Pookah
Shipmate
# 9186

- Posted      Profile for the Pookah   Email the Pookah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, wow, kinda shocks me the repulsion to 'heaven' from my Buddhist pov (I'm a believer not a typical Western atheist Buddhist.) You undergo reincarnation or if you practice hard enough and make vows you get born in a pure land presided over by a buddha.

I pray to be born in Kwan Yin's pure land of Mt. Potalaka and yes it's beautiful, perfect, etc just like those 19th century spiritualists described. So I get born there but I'm still me at my level (ha! probably low) of spiritual attainment and then in that ideal situation with great teachers to help I practice (for eons) until I become a Buddha. Swell! sounds great to me. I know others who want to come back (it's faster if you practice in Samsara) but not me...I had a good birth and I'm not chancing anything.

Posts: 926 | From: the Northern colonies | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by the Pookah:
Hmm, wow, kinda shocks me the repulsion to 'heaven' from my Buddhist pov (I'm a believer not a typical Western atheist Buddhist.)

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here.

Are you shocked at your own repulsion to the idea of heaven? Or are you shocked by our attitudes on the Ship?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
I think life with God is going to be experienced as one constant Now. We just can't wrap our minds around this concept because we are mortals, living with a past, a present, and a future. So, don't go off the deep end just yet! I truly do believe it will all be okay. More than okay, in fact.

Yes - I am not being trivial when I say look at a dog enjoying a walk. They are not thinking of the past or future, they are simply and thoroughly enjoying the NOW!

In heaven we'll all be more like dogs [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

That's my view also.

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can have no conception of trans-death existence. Assuming that we will still exist as individuals, we will each have our ownunique perception of the glory of God. Perhaps we will be able to share those perception with each other.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for bad typing.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's my view also.
But it says "outside are the dogs"...
[Confused] [Biased]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
quote:

That's my view also.
But it says "outside are the dogs"... [Confused] [Biased]
Heh-heh. Woof-woof.

Biblical dogs can be good or bad. I plan to be a good dog. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016