homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » EMDR Therapy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: EMDR Therapy
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to hear from anyone who has had the form of psychotherapy called EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing.

A therapist whom I'll be meeting with uses it.

Thanks.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep having therapists insist I need this. The Skeptical Inquirer snickers at it. I am undecided, and only tried it once.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reviewed the literature on this thoroughly less than 2 years ago. The eye movements are unnecessary. It appears to be an unusual relaxation method with the focus on eye movements as a way of being mindful of the 'now' or present day. It appears to be used for everything, far beyond trauma. The courses to train in the method are expensive and many therapists subsequently become true believers using it for all problems. The third party funding agency I reviewed it for declined to fund it.

It reminds me of accupuncture. It may work for some things, but specifically does not work according to the theory and mechanism the promoters propose. Part of both may also be placebo, expectation of positive effects, and charisma of the therapist. YMMV

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a good evidence base for its effectiveness in PTSD, though trauma focused CBT is equally well supported. It is a NICE recommended treatment in the UK. (NICE: National Institute of Clinical Excellence - body that does the UK govs clinical standards.)

The key point, in trauma focused therapy, is that you need to retell the traumatic memory to integrate it into your episodic memory.

In EMDR you do this whilst using the eye movements, in trauma focussed CBT you do it slightly differently. EMDR advocates argue that the Eye movements activate certain pathways in the brain that assist the process of integrating the memory.

Retelling the trauma is *not* relaxing. The therapy is stressful to go through, and you need to have good support around you to undertake it.

There are a school of psuedotherapies, based on "thought field therapy" , that involve tapping yourself and other repetitive movements. These don't have much of an evidence base, and are mainly a form of relaxation - but they think they are more than that - they are descended from ideas about character armour etc.

TFT may have gained credibility by association, from the success of EMDR, because people essentially think therapy+wierd-repetitive+movement and don't appreciate the differences.

[ 21. February 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband had it for PTSD and felt that it helped.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went through a short course of EMDR a few years ago and I have to say that I'm still not certain if it helped or not.

It was a strange experience even before we started the EMDR properly. My therapist prepared me for it be leading me through a series of guided meditations to build an "inner sanctuary" where I could retreat to if talking about the trauma was too much. She also got me to choose three "totems", for want of a better word, to represent strength, wisdom, and love and I was to meditate on these at home for half an hour of an evening before and during the EMDR.

The EMDR itself was pretty strange, as it isn't normal to keep moving ones eyes to and fro while talking, but it was easy to get used to.

The main reason I'm not certain about whether it helped or not is because we only did it for four sessions and we were also still having regular psychotherapy sessions too. I was getting a lot out of the regular therapy, so I found it difficult to tell if the EMDR gave any extra benefit or not.

Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
People i know who've had it tend to feel it's a bit like Marmite.....
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My therapist is getting trained in it, and we've done a couple sessions--she is new enough to the process that she's honestly not too skilled, and I'm skeptical enough that I may not be ideal candidate. So for me, it's not something I'm continuing. But a close friend of mine found it enormously helpful.

It seems likely that, should you give it a go, you'll have a fairly clear sense of whether it's beneficial in a fairly short amount of time. And what it promises to be able to do is pretty exciting--there's an efficiency and precision to the processing of traumatic memories through EMDR that exceeds what we often get in pure talk therapy. So if I were in your shoes, I might go on faith for a couple sessions, just to see how things shake out.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's some links to understand EMDR.

Basic description of the proprietary method.

National Institutes of Health (USA) which states
quote:
The enormous popularity recently achieved by Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) as a treatment for anxiety disorders appears to have greatly outstripped the evidence for its efficacy from controlled research studies. The disparity raises disturbing questions concerning EMDR's aggressive commercial promotion and its rapid acceptance among practitioners.
This article R.H. Coetzee; Stephen Regel. "Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing: an update". Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 11: 247–354. is available here in PDF format.

quote:
above article
Both proponents and opponents of EMDR feel very strongly about their views,...In their critical evaluation of EMDR, Perkins &
Rouanzoin (2002) point out that there is still no
empirically validated model capable of giving a
convincing explanation for the effects of the therapy.....

Near as I can see is that this opinion, which summarizes the opinion of others in addition, is responsible for the level of acceptance of the method in the UK. The NIH opinion, cited above is responsible for the level acceptance of the method in North America.

I recall about 10-15 years ago when there was a clear push for the method. It has been substantially reduced here. I remain rather skeptical of the method, because it is not based on neuroscience re the eye movements. I think the USA's National Centre for PTSD probably contains the balanced view
quote:
Experts are still learning how EMDR works, and there is disagreement about whether eye movements are a necessary part of the treatment.
(Code fix)

[ 27. February 2014, 16:03: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016