homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coventry meet 21st or 22nd Feb?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Coventry meet 21st or 22nd Feb?
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi folks, I'm going to be in my birthplace and home town of Coventry on the weekend of Feb 21st-23rd. Sat 22nd daytime is busy with Riding Lights members' meeting and a matinée of The Alchemist at the Belgrade, and Sun 23 a.m. with going to Queen's Rd Baptist church (where I was baptized), but Fri and Sat evenings are free at the moment. I know there are a few Shippies in Cov (Amorya for one) and would love to meet up. Don't know Cov pubs any more (my natural choice would be the Golden Cross but it's out of service at present), so any suggestions welcome (central please as hubby will be dropping me off and going to Leamington to see a friend).

I need to know fairly soon whether Fri or Sat works better, as hubby wants to firm things up with his mate.

[ 23. January 2014, 14:12: Message edited by: Esmeralda ]

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never been to a Shipmeet before, or anything vaguely similar, so I might make the effort to come to this one! I don't live in Coventry but I can make my way around the city centre, and I know the bus route to Warwick Uni. Friday or Saturday would be fine for me.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday evening should be possible for me.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
I've never been to a Shipmeet before

Me neither, but I'll try to make this one! Either day - makes no difference.
Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friday would be preferable for me...I don't know Coventry at all, but...
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw the date and location and I though that's weird I might be in Coventry that weekend. Read the OP and realised it wasn't a coincidence at all. Not yet booked for members day because I'm waiting on something else, but could well be up for something shippy if I do go...

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's go for Friday evening. Now I need a suggestion for a place to meet. Anyone know a good pub in the city centre? I used to, but that was 40 years ago...

--------------------

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

Since no one's come up with any suggestions for venue, I'm going to get on to my oldest friend in Cov (known each other 55 years) and ask for her recommendations.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe you could choose one fairly near to a church, since we're a churchy bunch of people. I know where the central Methodist and URC churches are, as well as the cathedral, of course. Anywhere near there and I shouldn't get lost.
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I know Coventry reasonably well, I'm not good at knowing the good pubs, so can't be helpful on the suggestions front.

--------------------

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Maybe you could choose one fairly near to a church, since we're a churchy bunch of people. I know where the central Methodist and URC churches are, as well as the cathedral, of course. Anywhere near there and I shouldn't get lost.

There's Inspire right next to Methodist central hall. Slightly expensive, but very nice. They have about a million different choices of bottled beer from all round - great if beer is your drink of choice!

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Esmeralda

# 582

That sounds good. Shall we go for it? 7.30 at Inspire?

I'll still check if my friend has any better ideas.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just down the road in Leicester, but can't make that night. [Frown] Raise a glass for me - I'll be there in spirit!

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

Sounds good to me.

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

OK, this is what I've got. 7.30 pm Friday 21st, at Inspire, next to Methodist Central Hall. Possible takers:

• SvitlanaV2
  • Japes
  • goperryrevs
  • St Everild
  • Carys
  • me, Esmeralda
  • Possibly Amorya

I will be wearing a small badge with my avatar on it, and will have a small knitted figure called Wavey (pink, in a blue wavy bag) - made for me by one of the members of Waving not Drowning!).

That's six plus a possible seventh.

Looking forward to meeting you! [Smile]

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

My mobile is [deleted] if anyone needs to reach me.

[posting phone numbers on a public board where the world can see is very unwise. If you need the number, PM Esmeralda

Alan: SoF Admin]

[ 21. February 2014, 11:46: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately I am heading eastwards (well, south-eastwards) for the weekend today rather than west, otherwise I'd be joining you! A shame as I haven't been back to Cov for a bit, but I shall be in Aylesbury.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoy your meet in my "native land"!

Anyone paying a visit to the Cathedral is visiting my spiritual home.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How was it?

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

There were only four of us, but it was a very pleasant evening. I enjoyed it!
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

I'm sorry I had to leave early, (to prepare for a long driver today,) but it was a lovely evening, and excellent company.

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

I'll second all of that. We very appropriately met at a pub located in the bottom of a church spire, one of the famous 'Three Spires' of Coventry (the rest of the church was taken out by the Luftwaffe some time ago). We started outdoors but once we were all assembled, went indoors to get away from icy drafts on one side and a globally warming outdoor heater burning our cheeks on the other.

It was great to meet Japes, Goperryrevs, and SvitlanaV2 and talk about everything from kids with special needs, to church experience good and bad. I'm sure I'll be in Cov or Brum again before long and maybe we can do it again with more folks.

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You were all very close to what will become my new stomping ground later this year so a meet then would be good [Big Grin]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

Yeah, was real nice. We'll have to do another one when you're here, seasick.
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry I didn't make the meet as I ended up doing members day as a day trip. I did see Esmeralda but didn't greet her as such when we had a conversation about hand-dryers (at Central Hall, they were ineffectual)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016