homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Trendy Vicar Syndrome

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Trendy Vicar Syndrome
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a cliche that some vicars, priests and ministers unfortunately fall blindly and eagerly into. A desperation to seem cool and 'with it' leads to some of the most ridiculous analogies between Christianity and aspects of the real world they've heard about when browsing 'Pop Radio' or 'The YouTube'.

In the league of Gareth and Stacey's Welsh vicar ("I love sandwiches, who else loves sandwiches? But you know, in a way God is like a sandwich"), I present the usually sensible Giles Fraser having a particular bad attack of Trendy Vicar Syndrome in the Guardian.
quote:
Saturday is the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. And tonight's birthday show, The Day of the Doctor, continues the story of a man/god (a deus homo, in Anselm's words), aided by various companions, all seeking to save humanity from various dark catastrophes – often from those sinister religious fundamentalists, the Daleks, and their cult of Skaro.
Oh dear. Plenty of fluids and strict bed rest for the rest of the week I think.

What are your examples of the most embarrasingly bad cases of TVS you've seen.

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Making a tortuous sex-Pringles metaphor to make us all not have sex before marriage. Lots of newlyweds got presented with tubes of Pringles. CRINGE

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sex is like Pringles? how does that work, then?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

Once you pop you can't stop ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK this one is fictional but it's definitely a send-up of the real "cool pastor" stereotype. There's an American sitcom called "The Mindy Project" and the main character is (was? not up to speed on it) dating a Lutheran minister.

Sexy Christian Minister

When Mindy attends his church for the first time, he's raising the roof and doing call-and-response with the congregation, and everyone in the church is a 20-something hipster.

In my own experience, there was one minister who changed the words to "Tubthumping" (I get knocked down/but I get up again...) so that it had a Christian message and made the entire congregation sing it about 15 times over and over again.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:

Oh I see. I thought he might mean that it was very moreish but somehow never quite as satisfying or worthwhile as you thought it would be- and felt sorry for him.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:

Oh I see. I thought he might mean that it was very moreish but somehow never quite as satisfying or worthwhile as you thought it would be- and felt sorry for him.
I thought it's because the ordinary Pringles lead to a taste for ever more exotic flavours, until you're eating Barbecue Spicy Chinese Chicken and Chorizo by the dozen and looking for something wilder...

No? Just me, then...

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:

When Mindy attends his church for the first time, he's raising the roof and doing call-and-response with the congregation, and everyone in the church is a 20-something hipster.

My understanding of the 'trendy vicar' is a bit different from this. To me, the trendy vicar concept generally refers to a minister whose church absolutely isn't trendy, and whose efforts are a misdirected and unrewarded attempt to make it more so. There won't be any '20-something hipsters' at his church, and if there are, they're totally unimpressed by his guitar-playing and his gimmicky attempts to get everyone involved in all-age worship. (I say 'he' because it seems to be more of a male thing.)

Having said that, I think this stereotype of the 'trendy vicar' must be quite outdated now although there may be some lingering after-effects.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
... the ordinary Pringles lead to a taste for ever more exotic flavours, until you're eating Barbecue Spicy Chinese Chicken and Chorizo by the dozen and looking for something wilder ...

[tangent]

Just beware the wasabi-flavoured ones ... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[/tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Undercover Christian
Apprentice
# 17875

- Posted      Profile for The Undercover Christian   Author's homepage   Email The Undercover Christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sunday Morning

Slight stretching of the topic to incorporate trendy church - but this video needs only the most tenuous link to be worth sharing again and again.

Hurrah!

--------------------
http://www.theundercoverchristian.com

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Undercover Christian
Thank you for that [Killing me]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016