homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Friday morning songs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Friday morning songs
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, bbc radio 2 have put the cat amongst the pigeons! Having played The Candyman by Sammy Davis Junior for. Few years every Friday morning at 8.05, they have changed the song!

A lot of uproar has ensued, some people saying they can't change it, others saying that it was time for a change but they don't like the new song (talk to the animals, also SDJ).

Some people have suggested 'bring me sunshine' or 'rhythm of life' but what uplifting, it's nearly the weekend, song, what would you choose?

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not for the first time I am glad that I never listen to Radio two [Smile]

I realised many years ago that I would never be old enough for that channel. My radio used to be tuned more or less permanently to Radio Four ( it was still called the Home Service when I started listening to it at the age of about, hmmm, five or six... lots of funny comedy then) and the World Service and also often Radio One (when it was invented). Over the years there was less Radio One and more Radio Three and for the last ten years or so Three has probably been my main diet. But Two? No way, nohow, never. Not since it stopped being the Light Programme. And even then it was only Children's Favourites [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, there's some good stuff on Radio 2. Simon Mayo's Midweek Middle-aged Mosher slot is well worth a listen playing the heavy metal tracks that used to give me a very sore neck in my youth.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
... Over the years there was less Radio One and more Radio Three and for the last ten years or so Three has probably been my main diet. But Two? No way, nohow, never. Not since it stopped being the Light Programme. And even then it was only Children's Favourites [Razz]

Ken, don't you mean the Third Programme? Or to be even more exact, if it is a talk, 'Network Three'.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what itunes and spotify are for [Smile]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not so long back (well, during my adult lifetime) it was Terry Wogan playing such things as Perry Como and Frank Sinatra. Nowadays, I only listen to Radio 2 when it's Ken Bruce as the early morning shows are too upbeat for me. So my Friday morning songs are from Classic FM and are likely to be sung by 'The 16'.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Not for the first time I am glad that I never listen to Radio two...

...radio used to be tuned more or less permanently to Radio Four

....more Radio Three and for the last ten years or so Three has probably been my main diet.

That is at least when I am writing my novel or reading the papers. The song I hear most on Friday mornings when I first tune in is The Archers theme! [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Not so long back (well, during my adult lifetime) it was Terry Wogan playing such things as Perry Como and Frank Sinatra...

I used to be a TOG... I've noticed that Sir Terry is now occasionally on television nowadays.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And he does some radio 2 shows on Sundays from 11am [Smile]
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy most of the music most of the time on Radio 2. The likes of the Mike Sammes Singers, Cliff Adams and the Reginald Leopold Orchestra are only to be found on Friday Night is Music Night nowadays.

The only Radio 2 show I cannot abide is the midday show with Jeremy Vine and the neo-fascist phone-ins.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the Vine programme is hilarious!
Used to enjoy the Radcliffe and Maconie evening thing a lot- never really got onto it when it moved to 6 Music and- am I right?- a daytime slot.
Also used to enjoy Wogan's morning programme because it reminded me of my dad and his mates.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radcliffe & Maconie are on 6music 1-4pm during the week. I rather enjoy it, (though not as much as when they were on radio2), and often listen to it if the radio4 afternoon play is a bit iffy.

Friday morning pre-weekend happy music is Nick Cave. Obviously. [Big Grin] Jesus met the woman at the well is always a favourite.

[ 11. January 2014, 19:30: Message edited by: Jemima the 9th ]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is 1982. I am 12 years old. One winter's night, snow blows in through the skylight window in my boxroom-bedroom and does not melt. Buried deep in the blankets, and warm and toasty, I awake to find myself under a small snowdrift.

This meant that I had to abandon my bedroom and move into my sister's room for the winter. She had just won second place in an art competition, and had invested the £25 prize money in a clock radio. Sadly, what with the farm being rather remote and the technology being fairly primitive, the clock radio could only detect Radio 2. As a 12-year-old Radio 1 fan this was offensive to me, but my sister was too young to care.

This radio was set to come on at 7.30am every morning. It came on quite gently, and never woke my sister immediately: she tended to doze for the next ten minutes or so. But it woke me. Oh yes.

Because every damn morning at 7.30am for the entire damn winter of 1982-83, Terry Wogan elected to play Such a night by Elvis. It is an irritatingly chirpy song at the best of times. As an alarm clock, it was exquisite torture.

I have not forgotten. I have not forgiven.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016