homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Leg Jigglers unite......

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Leg Jigglers unite......
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure that there are other shipmates who have jiggly legs. Even before drinking. I know I drive my wife mad with it.

I have done some investigation, and there is no clear scientific theory as to why some people do this. I treat it as getting rig of nervous energy, or adrenaline.

So any other jigglers? Or have I just outed myself as a new strange breed. Again.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do it mostly with my right leg--sometimes my left, but the preponderance of my jiggling is with my right. It didn't change with the replacement of my right knee. I have no idea why I do it--sometimes I don't even realize it, but I'm not the only one in my family who does it. In my family, only the men seem to be so afflicted.

So at least you aren't alone.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a jiggler, also a finger tapper. Related to Asperger's, I think.

[ 10. February 2014, 16:47: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This drives me nuts when I'm sitting on a bench in a public place and someone on the other end is jiggling up and down, the whole bench is vibrating and suddenly it's hard to concentrate on your book, etc. (Sorry.)

It's almost always a male thing. I've hardly ever seen any women do it. Usually I think of it as a sign of impatience, someone wanting to get a move on, as it seems to happen while people are waiting for something. As soon as something happens, i.e. the bus moves on/the person they're waiting for turns up, etc etc it tends to stop.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to exercise my arthritic foot, so I don't care if the jiggling irritates you.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't you just take a gentle stroll around the vicinity, or is this about flexing the toes?
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A stroll on an arthritic foot? Sorry I have to flex it with the weight off.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do it. Always have. Well, since childhood anyway. Nothing to do with exercise, arthritis (which I didn't use to have), aspergers (which I never have had), or any such pet theory. Not neccessarily a sign of boredom or impatience or discomfort. Just sort of normal. Like scratching an itch.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get sore legs when I'm tired, never quite worked out why, and on that tenuous note I shall make Erroneous Monk's day by posting this!

Eraserhead fans might wish to look away...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
This drives me nuts when I'm sitting on a bench in a public place and someone on the other end is jiggling up and down, the whole bench is vibrating and suddenly it's hard to concentrate on your book, etc. (Sorry.)

It's almost always a male thing. I've hardly ever seen any women do it. Usually I think of it as a sign of impatience, someone wanting to get a move on, as it seems to happen while people are waiting for something. As soon as something happens, i.e. the bus moves on/the person they're waiting for turns up, etc etc it tends to stop.

[Hand up] Female jiggler here! Drove my parents mental when I lived at home. I don't think it's a sign of impatience, or a sign of anything, much - I tend to agree with Ken - it's just a thing, not a symptom of a thing. What's interesting about it is that it starts unconsciously, but if requested, I can of course stop. Until I start thinking about something else. Then it starts again. Sometimes I can head this stop/start thing off by switching to flexing my toes instead when someone asks me to stop. That doesn't usually make the table jiggle and so goes uncommented...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband is a leg jiggler. Sigh. Sometimes I scoot away from the table a little so it doesn't rattle me. I am a leg sitter. It always drove my mom nuts that I wouldn't sit with two legs in front of me, but would tuck my right leg up under me when I sat down. Old lady now, and I still do!

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another female fidget here. The upside is that apparently the fidgety among us can burn up to 200 calories a day more than people who sit still. [Cool]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad I am not alone!

It is definitely not about impatience, although I can see that it might appear as such. As to stopping - I can, but I find it very frustrating to have to stop, and it might mean that I have to twitch my fingers instead - it is a need that has to be got out.

However, when I am lying back sleeping in my chair, often I will jiggle my foot. Then, when I stop and keep my foot totally still, there is a wonderful sense of calm though my body.

And I do realise how irritating it can be for others. But we don't do it to irritate! Honest.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leg jiggler extraordinaire at your service.

Also occasional compulsive noise-maker.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
As to stopping - I can, but I find it very frustrating to have to stop, and it might mean that I have to twitch my fingers instead - it is a need that has to be got out.

Sounds like a need to expel excess energy – the trouble with a lot of desk jobs is that most of them require you to be sedentary for long periods and there’s little chance to be physically active. If you’d spent a day doing something active, maybe going for a long walk, playing football, or something, would you still feel you needed to do that at the end of the day?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another female jiggler here - we (anyone has had the misfortune to be anywhere with me trying to be still and I) reckon it's ADHD and putting me in an office is enough to make me very antsy.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I can, but I find it very frustrating to have to stop, and it might mean that I have to twitch my fingers instead - it is a need that has to be got out.

I finger twitch too, which has nothing to do with arthritis. What I am doing is finger drumming to an earworm. When there's no earworm my fingers are still.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a scout leader, it is my observation that teenaged boys all jiggle. I observe it more when they are nervous.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone told me that many leg jigglers are actually on drugs - is there any evidence for this?

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Someone told me that many leg jigglers are actually on drugs - is there any evidence for this?

I'm not aware of being on drugs - although it would explain an awful lot [Biased]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter-Unit has always been a leg jiggler. Once I figured out that it didn't seem to do any harm, it never bothered me. It does bother and even annoy others, though! I remember a relative put her hand on D-U's leg to make her stop. She and I both looked at her and she took her hand away, changed the subject, and never did it again. [Razz]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad used to be a leg-jiggler, and yes, it drove my mum crackers. These days I'm not sure if he's got the energy for leg-jiggling - I must try and remember to watch the next time I see him ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm 7 1/2 months pregnant and have just started jiggling (but only my right leg), it's driving me bananas let alone Mr ACG, so I'm hoping it's just a weird pregnancy thing....

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gideon
Apprentice
# 17676

- Posted      Profile for Gideon   Email Gideon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leg jiggler, leg sitter and finger drummer here... My daughter leg jiggles vigorously enough to shake sofas, tables and occasionally rows of theatre seats. Don't think either of us is on the spectrum or has ADHD. We don't put weight on much tho despite having healthy appetites!
Posts: 7 | From: Budleigh Babberton | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife is a leg jiggler. The constant vibration has been known to make me start feeling nauseous if I'm next to it for too long...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another female leg jiggler here, though I mostly do it when alone. I usually start it by lifting my heel off the floor so my weight is on the ball of my foot and putting enough weight on it so the jiggle is more or less involuntary unless I move my foot. Do other jigglers do the same?
I hate sitting upright in a chair and only do it at work or when I have to be unusually well behaved.
My father in law jiggles his leg enough to vibrate a sofa.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I were a lad, I could sit down and put my legs on autopilot: they'd jiggle for quite a bit!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fredegund
Shipmate
# 17952

- Posted      Profile for Fredegund   Email Fredegund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't aware I was practising this in the office until I read this thread. Bother. Now I'm aware of it.
Used to be confined to late at night, probably related to being over-tired. Used to drive DH crazy when we had a water bed. As someone else has said, I can stop on request.
As far as I know it's not related to ADHD, drugs whatever - at least not in my case.

--------------------
Pax et bonum

Posts: 117 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I think there is no evidence that it is related to any drugs or to ADHD, but it might have a connection to very mild aspergers - that might not be diagnosed or in need of treatment, so you might not know you have it, but it might be there.

I only suggest this because I have mild aspergers, and there is a sense where it would fit in with that - a sense of restlessness.

Not that I am suggesting that all others are on the aspergers spectrum, just that this might be one indicator.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is always restless leg syndrome to consider and its nighttime variant. Most people here call the night time version restless leg syndrome, and don't really have a label for what the link labels restless leg syndrome. YMMV

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to jiggle my leg (right one?) in my teens - it used to annoy my father immensely - when we were relaxing in the sitting room of an evening. He was clearly unaware that whilst telling me to "keep still" he was not only jiggling his own leg but drumming both sets of fingers on the arms of his chair.

Oh, and he used to annoy the hell out of my mother by jiggling keys/loose change in his pocket whilst singing hymns in church when away from home.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another leg jiggler here. I've never been diagnosed with Aspergers, but there is autisim in my family and it wouldn't at all surprise me to find I was somewhere on the spectrum.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep! I'm a leg jiggler! Would I sound like a creepy, perverted person to admit that the vibrations of other leg jigglers is like a massage to me? Sigh... I know that's weird! In high school math class in eleventh grade, there was this kid who sat behind me who always kicked the back of my chair and... I loved it! To keep him doing that, I would turn around and hiss, "Stop kicking my chair! You're driving me crazy!" and it worked! He kicked my chair that whole year.

I jiggle my right leg because that's the leg I use on the bass drum of my drum set. I tap both fingers on anything to work out the endless drum beats I'm trying to learn. Luckily, my wife is a drummer too, so my tapping fingers don't bother her. The leg jiggling? Ehhh, she's not so into that.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe she's just not that into you having that habit!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
In high school math class in eleventh grade, there was this kid who sat behind me who always kicked the back of my chair and... I loved it! To keep him doing that, I would turn around and hiss, "Stop kicking my chair! You're driving me crazy!" and it worked! He kicked my chair that whole year.

In seventh grade, my desk started to vibrate because the boy behind me was doing the leg jiggle. I told him to stop and he told me to get me long bushy hair off his desk first, etc. We became such good friends, I introduced him to my brother and they became life long best friends. I called him to talk over old times and high school hi-jinks last year after my brother told me he was dying of cancer. Love your jigglers while you have them.
[Tear]

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Maybe she's just not that into you having that habit!

Ugh! Kevin! That was baaaaaaaaaad!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Female leg jiggler checking in.

It's closely related to ADHD.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Twilight - that's a lovely but sad story. Thank you.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016