homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Pssst ... anyone want to sell a church?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Pssst ... anyone want to sell a church?
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am webmaster for our church. When I arrived at church this morning there was a letter for me. It was addressed to myself by name (which in itself is a little freaky, for as far as I know, my name is not anywhere on the website) at the church address.

The contents were astounding. From a property acquisition company based in London. A few choice quotes:

'One of our retained clients is currently looking to purchase a church privately in the area'

'We have been instructed to acquire churches and church halls on a freehold basis'

'We offer a 14 day exchange of contracts timetable'

'Our client (sic) are cash funded and do not require bank borrowings'

'We offer total confidentiality'

'Should this letter be of interest, we look forward to hearing from you'

Anyone else get these? (Its actually the second one I've had) What on earth is going on?

Is this the most bizarre letter anyone has received via church, or can you beat it?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of letters being sent out like this. But I once read about a village somewhere (or maybe it was a comment about a more general state of affairs) where estate agents would wait patiently for the struggling local chapel to close, so they could acquire it for clients who were eager to get their hands on a potential church conversion. There's something rather vampirish about that, certainly.....
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do they assume the church is yours to sell?

I know nothing of ecclesiastical property matters, but I've always assumed buildings belonged to the Denomination, rather than any current clergy or officers.

Of course, you could just respond with: "No problem. 500k in the a/c of G Rebel, C/o Grand Cayman Island, and it's all yours. Key under the vestry mat, deeds in the box marked 'biscuits'."

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can sort of top that. We actually used to get real live human beings (okay, human is questionable) WITH CLIPBOARDS, come into the narthex, walk around looking at things and marking things down, and when asked what they were doing, say, "Is this building for sale?"

Happened at least twice, I believe.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the congregationalist-type denominations each church will belong to its congregation. In British Methodism, a church will belong to the circuit, which is a grouping of churches in a locality or region. So closure is decided at the congregational level, except that for Methodists the circuit also has to agree. Circuits almost always do agree, because they don't support struggling churches, and because a closed church is one that can be sold, thereby raising money for the rest of the circuit.

The letter that Gracious Rebel received would make little sense to any church belonging to the CofE, where closure is decided much higher up the chain. But for a rural Nonconformist church in difficulty such a letter might be stored away carefully for future reference....

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard of it, but I am not surprised. I am always getting cards from estate agents wanting to buy my house, because I live in a desirable area. I also keep getting emails and voicemails that want me to sell my rental property (or buy more properties to rent).

Some of the estate agents do have something of an ambulance-chasing mentality. I suspect that the money they can get for churches sold for development, and getting in early is worth their while.

At the end of the day, it does make sense for churches to consider whether they would be better off selling up. It is worth, sometimes, considering whether a sale would make more sense than refurbishing.

Gracious Rebel - was your name used to register the site? If you are on the whois lookup, that does not take much to find.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This left me with a momentary vision of a rapacious estate agent eagerly browsing the Mystery Worshipper reports looking for bad sermons and low attendance. [Smile]
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
OddJob
Shipmate
# 17591

- Posted      Profile for OddJob   Email OddJob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the most likely reason for a mystery buyer seeking a church is to continue using it as a place of worship, thereby circumventing the need to seek planning permission to convert other premises for this purpose, where it would be controversial. But what form of worship? And worshipping whom or what?

Personally I've been asked to value a few obscure buildings, but never a church, for which conventional valuation methodologies just don't work.

I wonder how many churches would welcome the prospect of selling their expensive-to-maintain building and replacing it with something more modern and suitable.

Posts: 97 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by OddJob:
I suspect the most likely reason for a mystery buyer seeking a church is to continue using it as a place of worship, thereby circumventing the need to seek planning permission to convert other premises for this purpose, where it would be controversial.

In my city in the W. Mids you do see some old church buildings that have passed into the hands of newer denominations. Afro-Caribbean Pentecostal congregations sometimes moved into these buildings. But these usually developed a presence in a particular area over time, first meeting together in homes, then in rented halls, then buying their own churches, as finances allowed. They didn't turn up somewhere completely new with a big bunch of money and demand that an estate agent secretly find them a big church building to buy.

Some of the even newer ecclesiastical arrivals do appear to be well-funded from the outset, but they don't seem terribly interested in 'traditional' church buildings. Firstly, in the big cities many of the original Nonconformist churches have already been sold off, often to faith groups of other religions. Secondly, these buildings don't always seem suited to the needs of the new charismatic churches.

The late 19th c. groups are going through mixed fortunes. Some now have surplus ageing buildings that can be bought by the newer movements; others construct new buildings for worship in the suburbs; yet others are still growing in urban areas and prefer to buy 'traditional-looking' church buildings.

I don't know which of these situations would apply where Gracious Rebel lives. If she wants to go sleuthing she might find out who really wants her church....

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I can sort of top that. We actually used to get real live human beings (okay, human is questionable) WITH CLIPBOARDS, come into the narthex, walk around looking at things and marking things down, and when asked what they were doing, say, "Is this building for sale?"

I don't think you have to worry until they start cracking their knuckles and murmuring "Nice little church you've got here. Be a shame if something happened to it..."

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I am webmaster for our church. When I arrived at church this morning there was a letter for me. It was addressed to myself by name (which in itself is a little freaky, for as far as I know, my name is not anywhere on the website) at the church address.

The contents were astounding. From a property acquisition company based in London. A few choice quotes:

'One of our retained clients is currently looking to purchase a church privately in the area'

'We have been instructed to acquire churches and church halls on a freehold basis'

'We offer a 14 day exchange of contracts timetable'

'Our client (sic) are cash funded and do not require bank borrowings'

'We offer total confidentiality'

'Should this letter be of interest, we look forward to hearing from you'

Anyone else get these? (Its actually the second one I've had) What on earth is going on?

Is this the most bizarre letter anyone has received via church, or can you beat it?

Yep got that one this week. It's the second one we've had. We're about 40 miles from Bristol
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Why do they assume the church is yours to sell?

I know nothing of ecclesiastical property matters, but I've always assumed buildings belonged to the Denomination, rather than any current clergy or officers.

Yes, but these are estate agents we're dealing with here who are notoriously stupid. They probably also assume that Gracious Rebel is the "vicar" so owns the church building and all its assets outright.
quote:

Of course, you could just respond with: "No problem. 500k in the a/c of G Rebel, C/o Grand Cayman Island, and it's all yours. Key under the vestry mat, deeds in the box marked 'biscuits'."

[Killing me]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nonconformist buildings will vary.

Some will be owned outright by the denomination.

Independent churches will own their own buildings; this usually involves a Board of Trustees as churches (being "unincorporated bodies") cannot legally own property in Britain. I guess a few independent church buildings are privately owned by individuals.

A lot of church buildings are owned by the local congregation with the deeds held "in trust" by the denomination rather than local Boards. A Church can make a resolution to sell up (or make major alterations) but this would need the Trust Board's approval and there may be some legal niceties in the Trust Deeds to negotiate as well.

It's all very different to the Anglicans ...

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had two of them so far (Baptist/Congregational church on outskirts of Manchester) - we've decided to ignore them.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually (with apologies for the double post) I'm kinda glad other people have got this letter. Because we're right next to the market in our town which has just been sold to a new owner. There were rumours that they would want to do away with the market and convert the land into flats/similar development and would want to buy the church and use our land for the same purpose. So it was kind of ringing true for some of us that this may have been genuine.

Thanks to this thread, feel happier about filing it in the round filing cabinet on the floor.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems as if the folk who are getting these letters are either Baptists or Congregationalists/URC. Which suggests that someone has been trawling through denominational directories.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Wednesbury
Apprentice
# 14097

- Posted      Profile for Wednesbury   Email Wednesbury   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've had two as well. Methodist church in Essex.
Posts: 13 | From: The Marsh Lands | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was the leader of an indy evo church in a town centre position. The church owned it's own building which was large and potentially a tremendous resource for all sorts of stuff. A property developer was building an office block next door, and offered the church trustees a very large sum for the building.

Although the offer was rejected, it focussed minds on what our mission purpose was and how the building featured in that purpose. We also considered what we might be able to do with such a sum but no building. We also asked ourselves the question 'what offer (if any) might be too good to refuse?'

The answers to all these questions were very revealing...as someone once said, 'where your treasure lies, there is your heart' or words to that effect?

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
but this would need the Trust Board's approval and there may be some legal niceties in the Trust Deeds to negotiate as well.

In the case of Baptists any proceeds of sale are divided 50:50 between the Baptist Union and the local association. The only exception to this is churches with very old trust deeds (pre 1950's)
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds distinctly fishy to me. I'd be very wary.

Quite a useful test is to write back and say something on the lines of 'I can pass on your enquiry if you wish, but if I'm going to, you'll have to tell me who you're acting for'. If they don't or won't, assume it's suspect. It's a basic rule never to deal with anyone who claims to be an agent but won't tell you who for.

If they say 'they are an important property company/church but they have instructed us not to disclose who they are at this stage', you needn't assume. It is suspect.

If they do tell you, it's useful information for the curious, even if the church has no interest in dealing with them.

The other possibility is that it's a fishing exercise. They have no one behind them, but if they think your church might be looking to sell, they're trying to get your business. So if their reply starts to mention anything about you paying commission, again, put it in the bin.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of a person who would turn up at churches in South London which had had fires the day after the event and ask if they wanted to sell. My friend and I assumed he had not heard of Marcus Licinius Crassus. Or, alternatively, assumed no-one else had.

[ 10. March 2014, 14:59: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

500k? I would hold out for 1.5 million at least!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
but this would need the Trust Board's approval and there may be some legal niceties in the Trust Deeds to negotiate as well.

In the case of Baptists any proceeds of sale are divided 50:50 between the Baptist Union and the local association. The only exception to this is churches with very old trust deeds (pre 1950's)
That is only true if a church closes. If a church still exists, then Charity Law comes into play and the proceeds of sale have to be invested in a new building. This can have amusing results: I now of two churches which amalgamated; they were awash with cash and so built to a higher standard than was strictly necessary as they knew that any money left over would be "untouchable".

In our case a Baptist Church amalgamated with a URC church, in the URC building. The sale proceeds of the Baptist Church went to the BU but we still receive the interest on those monies, plus ground rent from the organisation which built on the site.

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:

500k? I would hold out for 1.5 million at least!
All depends on where you are ...
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DP and I have noticed at least a half-dozen church buildings for sale in our travels during the past year.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, we'd love to sell ours. It's Victorian and completely unsuited to the needs of our congregation - and we also have a very much older church in the parish which is of far more historical importance (and religious, come to that).

We're trying to build an extension, among other things so we don't have to have a single loo, that you can't lock (because it's also a fire exit). No chance even of planning permission yet, between the local planners and the Victorian Society *sigh* [Mad]

So, when we sing 'Come set your rule and reign' at a praise service, it's apt to cause a few giggles when we reach 'set your church on fire'. The vicar has been told that next time he finds the boiler house on fire, he's to go and have a nice cup of tea, made in the slow cooker perhaps, to settle his nerves before he calls the fire brigade
[Killing me]

Mrs. S, looking for the kindling pile - or maybe a friendly estate agent?

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He won't be the first. I can remember a minister ranting about a church secretary who on finding a fire created by an electrical fault called the fire brigade pronto. The church had had a fire previously and just never been right since; water from hoses soaks into the building and it is very hard to recover from it. It therefore needed demolishing and rebuilding.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016