homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » New Year Resolutions - your real ones (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: New Year Resolutions - your real ones
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you planning to make any? Making them's quite easy, of course... mine are to try to keep more on top of the housework and become a paragon of virtue -

Oh, stuff that. We can all plan something virtuous for ourselves, but it's also good to have "hyacinths for the soul" and plan a little fun as well.

So, in 2014, I'll make a conscious effort to watch more television and listen to more music. I also intend to sample lots of different kinds of dark chocolate instead of sticking to the old favourites, go to London more often, revamp my wardrobe and change my hair colour at least once.

How about you? Any New Year resolutions to, as it might be, have a trial flight in an aircraft, take that holiday you've always wanted to, take up a new language? If you have a fun New Year resolution, post it here.

(If you haven't, why not spend a few minutes thinking one up? New Year resolutions don't have to be grim things that you don't want to keep.) [Big Grin]

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I resolve to listen to more music. I spend most of my spare time listening to NPR, or reading, and only occasionally does any good music slip into my ear. When it does I'm always like, "Ahhhh, what is that lovely sound?!" So I resolve to find a radio station where people aren't talking all the time and see if it makes me less savage.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To get my blood pressure down without resorting to pills.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'm going to resolve to play more of my music as well as what I need to learn for my ministry.

Also to view and enjoy more sunrises and sunsets! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not to waste my time discussing what made-up personalities on contrived reality shows on cable TV (which I don't even have) said, and what should be done about it.

I hope to last an hour.

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To de-clutter, to develop a Rule of Life, to write more and speak, chunter, post online less.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been organizing recipes for several months --LOTS of recipes! In 2014 I plan to try (at least) one new one each week.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Usual stuff. Declutter the house. Lose the weight. Exercise more. [Roll Eyes]

Nice things - make more time for reading and write more real letters: you know, on good quality paper, with a pen! Go on retreat more regularly.

Nen - wondering where she's put her Nice Pen.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I resolve to start a bonfire in the back garden to burn all the unnecessary papers that have been around the house for years.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Past experience tells me that the mere act of making a NYR means it will never happen. Some sort of weird self sabotage dynamic.

But, I would really like to get into the habit of getting up early. If I did this a lot of other things would just naturally fall into place.

But this is definitely not a NYR. No.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have more fun.

Life is short.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to have lots of dinner parties. My life was messy with low grade depression after having the children and it has only been recently that my house has been in a suitable state for entertaining. I've now overcome my fear of people coming round [Smile]
Oh, and expand my network of friends at the same time.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Getting rid of the builder's clutter*, getting the house fit for a spot of entertaining, and doing said entertaining.

* This may take some time; some of the building work is outdoors, and we already have about 3 feet of snow, due to be added to at regular intervals, so it's not likely to be done this side of Easter.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will read more books than I buy. [Killing me] *wipes tear from eye*

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got most of these resolutions in stock.
Lose weight, exercise, get a job, declutter and read less.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get back into a gym routine. I lost mine when I changed jobs: now I start work at 10am, with no commute, so there's ample gym time beforehand, but I haven't got into the routine yet. Strange that I was fine leaving the house at 7.30 to commute to my last job, but it's so hard to do the same to attend the gym.

Get to bed earlier. I need to get over my fear of missing out on fun things (e.g. housemates are watching TV or playing a game, I can't help but go and join them). I just find it hard to reserve time to relax.

Save money. I've started this already in the last few months, but I need to continue setting aside part of my salary to savings. I've been close to the overdraft limit a bit too much last year, and I want to build up a buffer in case of emergencies.

I like Heavenly Anarchist's dinner party resolution. I love cooking for people, and celebrating stuff. Maybe I should adopt that one! (Sensibly though I shouldn't — I need relaxation more than that kind of fun-but-stressful event.)

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to bed earlier for me as well. That will set my whole day better.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cut myself some slack.

Embrace my inner Alzheimer's.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Each year I resolve to make no resolutions. This has saved me a lot of time and stress.

However, over the years I have resolved (but not at this time) to exercise more, to increase my spiritual life, and to maintain my blood sugar at healthy levels. For the most part, I have been somewhat successful.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t have resolutions so much as goals – in 2014 I want to find a literary agent and run the 20 km or half-marathon.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to try and not let fear of the past cloud the future.

On a lighter note I want to buy (and listen) to more music.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Actually, I like that. It doesn't mean you'll stop buying books, it just means the "To Read" pile will be smaller this time next year.

I haven't done any formal learning since I finished my MA back in 2009. I think I might look at learning something this year - perhaps a new language, or do a refresher course in the French or German I've barely used since I was at school.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Actually, I like that. It doesn't mean you'll stop buying books, it just means the "To Read" pile will be smaller this time next year.
I just wish I thought it would work. I suspect books may be an alien life form, dividing and spreading whilst their 'owners' are looking away.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will probably buy more books than I read, as usual. [Big Grin]

I'd like to get back into writing. I used to write poetry and sketches for performance at church, but my job seems to have squeezed all the creativity out of me lately and I want it back. I also have a vague idea for a novel that I'd like to have a crack at.

My other resolution is to grow my own vegetables. I was given a potato planter for Christmas and I want to see if it's true that home-grown veg taste better than shop-bought.

As for the usual resolution to lose weight, the gardening should help with that.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Daffodil
Apprentice
# 13164

- Posted      Profile for Daffodil   Author's homepage   Email Daffodil   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To achieve something each day.

To finish projects before, not at, deadlines.

To declutter.

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to spend less time playing silly computer games, maybe using computers less generally, thoiugh of course that would mean less ship time [Big Grin] I'd like take up calligraphy again, I made some Sloe gin labels last week and really enjoyed doing them, and be more creative generally, more knitting, more writing etc Oh and go back on my diet when I've finished all the Chrismas treats.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I resolve to not "adopt" any more stray people. The last two that my partner and I tried to help turned out to be drug-addicted losers who would happily sell their grandmothers for pot/pills/alcohol/just for the fun of it. These two clowns used to attend the same church that my partner and I used to attend... uhhh.... that's all I'm gonna say about that!

I resolve to work out, if not every day, then every other day--no excuses. I have a FREE membership at a local health club and I haven't taken advantage of this yet.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best ones are vague. My best ever was to get out more. It was a success of operatic proportions.

For 2014 I resolve to write some things.

Cattyish, scribbling away.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil:
To achieve something each day.

To finish projects before, not at, deadlines.

To declutter.

A noble idea. Good luck with that. I refer you to my previous post!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm resolving to return to church, and also to put more effort into looking after my emotional/mental health by taking time to relax more regularly.

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More walking, something that has fallen by the wayside since I lost the dog. Which will give me thinking time for more writing (another novel planned to go on Smashwords), and also more cosplay - a London Comic Con in March and WorldCon in August are already booked!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
... WorldCon in August are already booked!

Me too. A resolution of sorts in that I missed the last UK-based one in 2005, and I was damned if I was going to wait another 9 years to go even if it meant not leaving the house for 6 months to afford it.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to finish my book! I'm going to see about getting it published!

I'm going to get off disability, get a job, KEEP a job... and I'm going to learn to play guitar or piano in addition to getting better on drums.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to WorldCon 87 in Brighton, and thought that it would be a once in a lifetime experience. In 2005, I was unemployed and broke, so I was determined not going to miss this one!
(I'll be half of the couple dressed as Inspector LeBrock and his girlfriend the Divine Sarah - both of them badgers in Victorian dress - if any other Shipmates are going!)

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night's dinner table conversation has inspired me to make another resolution. Talk turned to the naughtiest things we had ever done, notably during our school days and I realised with a little sadness that I spent my whole adolescence being a little goody two shoes and never doing anything truly naughty [Frown] Frankly the people who did stupid naughty things had far more fun than I did...

Consequently my resolution for 2014 is to be naughtier [Big Grin]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I went to WorldCon 87 in Brighton, and thought that it would be a once in a lifetime experience. In 2005, I was unemployed and broke, so I was determined not going to miss this one!
(I'll be half of the couple dressed as Inspector LeBrock and his girlfriend the Divine Sarah - both of them badgers in Victorian dress - if any other Shipmates are going!)

See you there!

Will be my fifth - I've made all the UK ones for over thirty years, never been abroad to one.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy New Year to you all.

I haven't organised a job yet, but my goal is to teach EFL abroad, probably in China. I'm a bit scared about culture shock, but it has to be done.

I also have to get stuck into writing the book I've spend the past 18 months planning. This is frightening as well, even more so in some ways.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have given up daily news. I started a few days earlier in the dying embers of 2013.

I decided that it wasn't good or healthy to start each morning with news of death, war, famine and lies.

I feel better for it.

I intend to get a good quality editorial magazine and read that instead once per week.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
I have given up daily news. I started a few days earlier in the dying embers of 2013.

I decided that it wasn't good or healthy to start each morning with news of death, war, famine and lies.

I feel better for it.

I intend to get a good quality editorial magazine and read that instead once per week.

That is such a good idea. The news definitely does not do me any good whatever; I would be better off without it.

Thanks, Macrina.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from the usuals (lose weight, do more exercise), I'm trying to be relatively low-key about my resolutions. Inspired by the Decluttering thread I am resolving to do a 'small declutter' each day - a drawer, or shelf, or somesuch. And I want to make the time to read more books. I'll say one a month; although I'd like to say one fiction and one non-fiction a month I think that might be setting myself up to fail. But if I can manage that that would be good! I'd also like to try and write a bit each day, but that is the resolution that always gets pushed to one side, so I'm not going to beat myself up about it, but if it happens (or maybe I should say weekly rather than daily) then I'll be happy about that.

I also want to do something fun with the baby each day. She's got a few books, so that is currently reading with her. When the weather's better we can be a bit more outdoorsy.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:

I feel better for it.

That is such a good idea. The news definitely does not do me any good whatever; I would be better off without it.

Thanks, Macrina.

You're welcome though I can't take all credit [Smile] I read about the idea on a blog post ages ago and a few days ago it suddenly clicked as to why you'd do that.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm making only one resolution this year (though I need all The Usual Suspects). Here's my one lonely one: Do. One. Thing. At. A. Time.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
this may sound a little trite, but my "resolution"* this year is to be true to myself and be kind to myself.

this involves lots of little changes - eat in a way that supports my body rather than sabotaging it, do my yoga every day ('cause it feels good!), reduce and hopefully eliminate self-destructive internal dialogue, write in my journal every day when possible, get enough sleep, forgive myself.

...and don't go out in public looking my worst and therefore making myself feel hideous. it doesn't take much effort to look like someone I'm proud of being, and therefore will hold my chin up and be less insecure.

the difference between this and other years is that suddenly I want to do these things for myself, and to hell with what other people think or want to see me do.

*I like to think of it as a New Year Reinvention

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish you well with your resolution comet .

We are resolved this year to putting up a garage that doesn't leak . Thus giving it the status of being the first properly water-tight out-building on this property.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I made a resolution that I have actually kept (so far). I determined to write a poem a week, and I have done the first one.

It's a sort of mental photographic 365 - it obliges you to actively notice stuff and wring something out of it.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to loose some weight. The most typical New Year's resolution there is, huh? But this time I really, really mean it. And I want to start writing again.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Instead of losing 10 lbs last year I gained 12 pounds. Need tolose 16 pounds this year to get down to my desired weight of 180.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Clotilde
Shipmate
# 17600

- Posted      Profile for Clotilde     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
To get my blood pressure down without resorting to pills.

How will you do that practically, Leo? (Maybe by reading fewer posts on here! - sorry that part was a joke - the question is not!)

Such resolutions I've found are harder than one thinks because they are often related to significant change in eating habits or lifestyle.

Are their food stuffs which are known to assist in BP lowering?

--------------------
A witness of female resistance

Posts: 159 | From: A man's world | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cut out/down drinking and smoking.

Follow a diet sheet.

Exercise.

Boring! But so is having a stroke.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I intend to try to encourage someone every day.

Just even one person by some action or word of kindness. We all have sorrows, I am convinced and I am going to do my best not to cause further harm.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016