homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scots Wha Hae: 2013 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Scots Wha Hae: 2013
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The dram's in the glass for the first footer.

Happy New Year.

Firenze
All Saints Host

[ 13. February 2013, 07:31: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That'll be me, then.

Drinking the newest malt from Islay.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year to you too, Firenze - and thank you for the shiny new thread!

Well, I watched the torchlight parade up Biggar High Street and joined the crush for the lighting of the bonfire. Then we retired to an aunt's house for the annual wheeling out of Jackie Bird.

Comment from 9 year old nephew watching the Proclaimers: "Why does that man keep changing his shirt?" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went for an explore this afternoon and found a lovely waterfall just near my friends house.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy New Year one and all!

PS Firenze, how's your heid? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

PS Firenze, how's your heid? [Big Grin]

Nae bad. Just the one glass of the Kilchoman.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Increasing age is a bummer, eh, Firenze?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
redunderthebed
Apprentice
# 17480

- Posted      Profile for redunderthebed   Email redunderthebed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like deep fried mars bars and anything deep fried i love irn-bru and are a follower of the greatest football club in scotland rangers and i'm of scottish heritage my ancestors are from near kilmarnock according to the family genealogist my mum.

Can i join in? [Big Grin]

Posts: 24 | From: Port Lincoln | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello, Redunderthebed, and welcome aboard! [Smile]

I'll leave your football allegiance to one side; my own lie with Inverness Caley Thistle and Cowdenbeath (don't ask)!

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Host who has nephew and great nephews who are all Rangers fans declines to ask which division the club are now in [Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
redunderthebed
Apprentice
# 17480

- Posted      Profile for redunderthebed   Email redunderthebed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Division 3 and 15 points ahead on top of the table. Not nice what went on but we are on the long road back, speaking of which the 'gers are playing annan tonight if my EPG is correct.
Posts: 24 | From: Port Lincoln | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please pray for my young cousin Sarah Louise, a parishioner of St Andrew's Erskine, Dunfermline, who has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and is to undergo exploratory surgery early in this new year. We only received the news here in Australia today. She and her mum have been having a tough time of it in recent years, and we are just too far away to provide the sort of help we'd like to.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And every time I see "Scotland" I'll sing it! [Biased] I do love that song!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Despite being mostly Sassenach, I've managed to get into today's Herald - well, the online version, at least!

If WW1 is of interest, the Shepreth site is worth a look anyway (he says, immodestly).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
Please pray for my young cousin Sarah Louise, a parishioner of St Andrew's Erskine, Dunfermline, who has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and is to undergo exploratory surgery early in this new year. We only received the news here in Australia today. She and her mum have been having a tough time of it in recent years, and we are just too far away to provide the sort of help we'd like to.

Prayers ascending Barnabus. It's so hard to be far from people at a time like this
[Votive]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Rareish outing to the city centre today. Keeked in at The Dome to admire their Christmas decor. They even have a snow maker in the roof of the portico, so that you come out into a few flakes twirling down. It was oddly convincing even though it's been about 10C today.

Slightly less enchanted to walk all the way down to the stop on Waverley Bridge only to find that Bank St was still full of funfair and therefore no buses. So I had a bracing climb up Cockburn St to South Bridge.

The town oddly quiet for a Saturday - perhaps everyone did the Sales last week?

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Slightly less enchanted to walk all the way down to the stop on Waverley Bridge only to find that Bank St was still full of funfair and therefore no buses. So I had a bracing climb up Cockburn St to South Bridge.

Those are my bracing climbs every day in the week - until recently I was doing the Cockburn St-Royal Mile thing (I work at the university, near Bristo Square), but have found that walking up Market St towards the Mound and then doubling back onto Bank St means slightly less uphill-ness, so I tend to do that these days. I've seen the fair the last few days and thought how in my early 20s I would have been at the front of the queue for all those rides. These days I don't think I'd dare go anywhere near any of them! Hopefully due to advanced wisdom rather than advanced age.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

There can't be too many city centres that offer the fitness potential of Embra.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every time I see this thread title I think,

Welcome to your gory bed
Or to victory!

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Yup. Those are the usual day-to-day choices. At least I didn't call it Floor o' Scotland after that dirgey little number that seems to have taken over as National Song.
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I used to walk up St Michael's Hill in Bristol every day. Actually after a while I cheated and went in the ground floor of the Infirmary by the front door, up the lifts/stairs, out of the 4th floor which is halfway up the hill at the back of the building, and then up Alfred Hill the rest of the way. But the climb was the same (if I took the stairs)! The equivalent for Jack's journey would be going up through the Scotsman Hotel - and I think they'd disapprove.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:

You've never been to St. John's, have you? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been listening to the Radio, which seems to suggest there is snow everywhere. We've not had any, anybody else got any?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It fell for several hours yesterday, but wet and soft and not lying. From what I can see of the still crepuscular morning, it looks a bit damp and not at all white.
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had some yesterday morning that lay most of the day but it's all gone now. The sczlet didn't get chance to try out her new sledge.
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And we've had some snow down in London, and it hasn't lasted on the ground, but still all over cars.

I've always loved snow and I still remember having snow and everyone playing with it, in Dundee in the garden, and I was then the littlest one, seeing how teenagers could make snow-human-beings! And of course later we had so much that school was closed and we could go out and play. The roads were impossible for cars and buses.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't think we've had any here- looks like it's been further north and east. I'm guessing folk like NEQuine, cattyish and To the Pain will have the snow at the moment.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup, big soppy white flakes falling furiously just as everyone was trying to get to work. I wore my snowboots so I have nice warm, dry feet and feel ever so slightly smug. Sadly, a 10-minute walking commute means that I will probably never get to phone in a snow day - my only chance is if it is heavy enough to close the medical school which seems unlikely.

I don't think it will lie too long, the ground's too warm and wet for that and the fall seems to be easing off just now.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We woke to some on the ground yesterday, and had a spell of about half an hour with big flakes falling to the delight of the children. The wee lassie happily tried to build a snow man while I cleared the car to get to church - but there was only enough for a small head (a bit bigger than a typical snow ball). The ground is saturated, and so once it stopped actually falling the snow melted pretty quickly and is all gone now.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It snowed pretty much continuously all yesterday here in the Southern Uplands. We had 2-3 inches of wet sticky stuff, that beautifully outlined all the trees, and was perfect for snowmen. The niece and nephew constructed one using the novel method of packing buckets with snow and turning them out one on top of the other, so that Mr Snowman had a decidedly flat head.

It's melting a bit now, but there is still a good covering.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was in a snow-free Inverness this morning, and even used the outdoor gym in Whin Park. Turns out my father has more flexible hips than me. [Hot and Hormonal]
Came home to about an inch of snow.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
It snowed pretty much continuously all yesterday ... 2-3 inches ...

It snowed continuously on Thursday night and Friday here and we got nearly 2 feet.

And a power-cut that lasted 36 hours. [Eek!]

Seriously though, I hope you're all keeping safe. [Votive]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'd thought of going out to the art shop today - but a thin, miserable snow has been falling for a bit, and doesn't look like stopping.

Instead, I will embark on an exhilarating round of housework, including putting out the rubbish. We haven't had a green bin uplift in a month, but I'll nevertheless have to jam another sackful in somehow. Plus cardboard, plastic bottles and food.

Whoopee doop.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't notice it snowing in Edinburgh today (I was indoors apart from a 10 minute constitutional after lunch), but it was certainly cold enough. Very deep blue sky when I was walking round the block though.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm coming to Glasgow at the weekend for my niece's second birthday. So glad I bought train tickets instead of driving up. Trains are infinitely more comfortable in snowdrifts.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Only a couple of inches snow here, but it's dry and powdery, and the wind has been creating snowdrifts. So no school transport and a day off for my quinie today.
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

Wee Andy's on a roll. [Yipee]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Wee Andy's on a roll. [Yipee]

Indeed. I think the balance has shifted where Federer is concerned. Djokovic - it's more even.

Re snow: it's been coming down steadily all afternoon - but too wet to lie. I'm hoping it gives over by 6, as we're out to a Burns Supper (A Darling giving the Immortal Memory).

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

It's been snowing all day, and settling, here in Stirling. I'd already decided to work from home today, it soon became clear it was a good decision. It's very pretty, but the local roads look horrible - wet slush which you just know will be ice-solid by morning.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I found a uniquely horribly Scottish name in a list of C19th teachers today - Leslieina. Why she couldn't have been called Lesley, I don't know.

Sleety weather here, cold and miserable.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

We had snow for most the day here, and it actually settled. It's already started melting, so we shall see what the roads are like in the morning.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I found a uniquely horribly Scottish name in a list of C19th teachers today - Leslieina. Why she couldn't have been called Lesley, I don't know.

I have a friend who had an Aunt Alexanderina. Not even 'Alexandrina', but the full 6 syllables. It seems to have died out as a fashion, but for a time seems to have been the final recourse of the disappointed father who had hoped in vain for a son and namesake. How many old ladies do you know called 'Ina'?

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I believe that one of Queen Victoria's names was Alexandrina.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
... How many old ladies do you know called 'Ina'?

I had a great-aunt Ina (she was a Georgina, which isn't so bad). I've come across a couple of Thomasinas (one wasn't much older than me, and I'm only 50), and I was in college with a girl called Willina (also now in her early 50s).

I wonder if Leslieina's problem was that the name Lesley hadn't been thought of at the time?

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Burns wrote a poem about "Bonnie Lesley" so it was a known name.

And Alexanderina (full six syllables) was on our short-list for our first-born, but had been downgraded to Alexandrina on the final short-list. Only the fact of having had a boy stopped us from having our own wee Alexandrina! It's an excellent name and not to be compared to Leslieina in any way!

I have known a Hectorina, an Andrewina, a couple of Georginas, a couple of Williaminas, two Thomasinas(both known as Zena), and was related to two - wait for it - Marshallinas.

In the C19th a proud father named Archibald in the next village named his son and daughter Archibald and Archiebella.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thomasina and Willhemina were fairly common names back in the day. Georgina was still common in my day (I knew two and later worked with one)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My dad's family had an Albert in each generation. However the last in a large family in generation above him had to be called Alberta. Dad was given Albert as his first name but hated it and used the second name.

Auntie Alberta hated her name as much as dad did his, changed it to Jennie when she was in late 60s.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently spoke with a 60-ish lady named Ralphina. While I do not as a rule advocate parricide, IMO any poor girl saddled with that moniker would be justified in giving Mum and Dad a bit of the old Lizzie Borden treatment.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Thomasina and Willhemina were fairly common names back in the day. Georgina was still common in my day (I knew two and later worked with one)

The youngest Georgina I know is under ten!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

My husband had a relative named Albertine. She was born around the beginning of the twentieth century.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016