homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Internal vs External Sin in 1 Cor 5

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Internal vs External Sin in 1 Cor 5
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the passage in question.

The question concerning the passage in question: Is Paul more disgusted by the internal state of the young male in question, or by the sexual abuse of another human being?

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My impression was that Paul was talking about inside and outside the Church, not inside and outside the person. FWIW

--Tom Clune

[ 12. February 2014, 12:12: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I don't really understand your question here, bullfrog. Who is it you think is being abused? By "internal state" do you mean "the fact that he's in the Church" or "the sin that is in him." The former seems to be Paul's concern. I'm not sure if there's any notion of objective vs. subjective sin operative here.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
I'm afraid I don't really understand your question here, bullfrog. Who is it you think is being abused? By "internal state" do you mean "the fact that he's in the Church" or "the sin that is in him." The former seems to be Paul's concern. I'm not sure if there's any notion of objective vs. subjective sin operative here.

My focus was on the individual in question. THe situation being that he's apparently having sexual relations with his mom or step mom.

I was wondering whether Paul's focus is on his own personal lust or what can only be an abusive relationship between himself and his parent or step-parent.

Admittedly I might, being a modern American, be reading this too individualistically...

[ 12. February 2014, 14:28: Message edited by: Bullfrog. ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The man in question appears to be an adult--he is treated as one in terms of moral responsibility, and he is apparently in the church as a member without either his father (who may be dead) or his stepmother (who is not addressed for discipline along with him, as you'd expect if she were a member). So he is almost certainly not a child or teen.

The situation is not clear--his father may be living or dead, and the woman may be his stepmother or a second wife of his father's. In either case she may be about his own age, given the tendency for men to marry younger women.

I really doubt that there is any abuse going on--it appears to be a consensual relationship. If there is in fact abuse, it is most likely abuse of the woman, who is more likely to be dependent and at a disadvantage in escaping his advances. For example, if she is his father's widow, she may be wholly financially dependent on the son; very difficult to say in that situation, "Bug off."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The man in question appears to be an adult--he is treated as one in terms of moral responsibility, and he is apparently in the church as a member without either his father (who may be dead) or his stepmother (who is not addressed for discipline along with him, as you'd expect if she were a member). So he is almost certainly not a child or teen.

The situation is not clear--his father may be living or dead, and the woman may be his stepmother or a second wife of his father's. In either case she may be about his own age, given the tendency for men to marry younger women.

I really doubt that there is any abuse going on--it appears to be a consensual relationship. If there is in fact abuse, it is most likely abuse of the woman, who is more likely to be dependent and at a disadvantage in escaping his advances. For example, if she is his father's widow, she may be wholly financially dependent on the son; very difficult to say in that situation, "Bug off."

Hadn't thought of the possibility of the father being dead, probably since Paul didn't bother to mention that detail. Polygamy hadn't crossed my mind either. That does open the story up a bit.

I tend to think of your third paragraph, given patriarchy, it's not clear that the woman has a lot of choice in this.

I also didn't think "stepmother" except for the obvious taboo on sleeping with a biological mother being so disgusting, but with the literal words are "his father's woman." I think because of my modern assumptions of monogamy and having, you know, a different word for "stepmom," this story just sounds really weird.

Though obviously a younger, second or third wife makes more sense, which makes this a really really messed up situation all around. Sounds like a seriously dysfunctional family, which of course is my modern ethicist reading the story. Hence my question. I'm trying to discern Paul's frame of reference. Is it that he's taking his father's rights? Is it a subtle echo of that prophetic rant about "father and son go into the same woman"? I guess that's what I'm wondering about. What is the focus? The relationship or the person?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's simply that this relationship is seriously taboo in that culture, so much so that "even the pagans don't do it"--which makes it doubly shameful for it to be tolerated right in the middle of Christ's church. It echoes Reuben and Bilhah--the relationship that got him demoted from being Israel's firstborn son--also Absalom's very intentional politically motivated rape of his father David's concubines. There is a taint of both incest and father-defiance about it, as well as the likelihood that the woman in question is not consenting. A triple "ugh" sin.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I think it's simply that this relationship is seriously taboo in that culture, so much so that "even the pagans don't do it"--which makes it doubly shameful for it to be tolerated right in the middle of Christ's church. It echoes Reuben and Bilhah--the relationship that got him demoted from being Israel's firstborn son--also Absalom's very intentional politically motivated rape of his father David's concubines. There is a taint of both incest and father-defiance about it, as well as the likelihood that the woman in question is not consenting. A triple "ugh" sin.

Works for me. So it's the whole situation, in which the man in question is the center.

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paul is certainly condemning of the actions of the man in question, however, ISTM that what Paul is really fired up about in this passage is the congregation's actions in this situation, which he describes as 'arrogant' (v.2) and 'boasting' (v.6).

I wonder whether the congregation was quite proud of how 'gracious and accepting' they were of this man, and suspect they had lost sight of the importance of "repentance" in the life of a congregation?

[ 17. February 2014, 02:02: Message edited by: Anselm ]

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016