homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Crowdsourcing Baby Names (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Crowdsourcing Baby Names
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a topic of great interest in our family right now with Grandchild #2 on the way in about a month...and I thought that maybe other people might find the responses helpful, too.

Player Yet To Be Named is a girl. We know that. The parents have requested name suggestions that 1)are old-fashioned, and specifically popular at roughly the same time in history as the name Ruby, who is Grandchild #1; 2)are, quote, "assertive" but still girly -- I think "a" and "y"/"ie" endings are favored by DiL; and 3)are not too cumbersome to combine with a hyphenated last name.

All requests appreciated. We've already sent the kids a list of suggestions, but apparently they want a bigger pool to choose from.

And again, for anyone else whose family is expecting, please join in with your name requests.

[ 25. February 2014, 00:17: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure when Ruby topped the charts, but here's a few old-fashioned, assertive names (though only one with the requested endings):

Sybil

Hazel

Edith

Sidonie

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emily.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mildred (Millie) and Marie

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DP and I like Hazel; we have a friend with grandchildren named Hazel and Henry, and those were both on our list before we knew the sex of #2. (Henry was also my dad's name.) It might be a hard sell, but I might re-submit it.

Betsy was one we came up with today.

We've also, BTW, mined the entire Downton Abbey dramatis personae list for names, LOL.

Thank you! Keep going!

[ 25. February 2014, 01:59: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Betsy is usually a nickname for Elizabeth, another great name (my daughter's, in fact).

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will chime in with this. I'm an Elizabeth, but I've always gone by Bess. It's biblical (Elixabeth), historical (Good Queen Bess), and unique enough to be special. And, the name works through time. Baby Bess, Bessie-girl, Miss Bess, Granny Bess...None of them sound silly...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Esme, Sylvia (the best Pankhurst), Claudia, Erica, Jane, Anna/Anne, Joanne/Joanna, Louise/Louisa, Helen/Helena. Susannah/Susanne?

Edwardian names are very fashionable now - mid-century names much less so, and feel rather more solid/less flowery. Certainly they would be the only Jane, Anne or Susan in their class!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Winifred (Winnie)
Wilhelmina (Billie)

Or they could do what my great great great uncle (a jeweller) did for some of the siblings siblings for his daughter Ruby - Pearl and Diamond (a boy, who my son is named after)

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently came across Ivy (my mother's name) as a name for a toddler (I forget where). It survives in my bilingual family as Liane (three generations of it in the female line!)

The late Victorians were fond of flower names. In addition to Ivy, they had Daisy, Violet, Lily (who, in adulthood became Lillian). One of my mother's cousins was called Rose (A friend's grand-daughter was named Rosa, but that was after Rosa Luxembourg.) A good friend was baptised Rosita, but she prefers Rose)

Having seen Caissa's post, I second Winnifred.

[ 25. February 2014, 03:36: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my family has a collection of flowers from a similar time period, Pete. Marguerite, Lilly, Pansy, Violet and George.

Marguerite (always pronounced Marguerita) was my great-grandmother.

I'm a huge fan of Ivy and Eve as names. Also (obviously) Marguerite. And Daphne, who was Marguerite's daughter and my much-loved great aunt whom I named my daughter after.

[ 25. February 2014, 03:43: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not Cassia - a lookalike
Winnie was a favourite great aunt of mine

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go - some of the most popular names from a century ago in the US. You can use the drop-down menu to pick a different decade.

(Some look like misspellings but I don't know whether that's intentional. "Mable" is more usually "Mabel". But you get the gist.)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Scotland, circa 1900, you would most likely be called Mary, Margaret, Elizabeth, Annie, Jane or Isabella. If you escaped those, it was Jessie, Jeanie or Agnes. Followed by a middling chance of Euphemia or Robina, but relatively low of Emily or Harriet.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother is a Hazel, her sister was a Pearl. My grandmothers were Margaret(Maggie) and May.

If we'd had a girl she would have been a Lettice (Letty), though I'm also very fond of Edith.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a great aunt Ruby. Her sisters were Margaret, Elizabeth (Liz), Davina and Helen (Nell).

I was particularly fond of Aunt Liz, the only person I knew who would give you the choice of tea, coffee, or whisky at 11am. She lived in three centuries, as she was born in 1899 and died in 2001.

ETA - Aunt Ruby lived to 93, in good health and independent until a few weeks before her death.

[ 25. February 2014, 07:13: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at school with an Edith, Hester, Audrey, Priscilla and shedloads of Lizzies and Margarets. And a fair number of Janices.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is odd to go for a walk and hear someone calling “Archie! Stanley!” and see two small boys then come running up to their mum. I do like the old names coming back, but haven’t noticed any Hildas or a Doris under 60.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandma and her sis were named Sybil and Bernice. Grandpa was a Stanley.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elsie. It was my maternal grandmother's name, and I'd love to see it make a comeback. Plus it's got the right ending [Smile] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well for a strong short girl's name with one of those endings then you really could not go wrong with Hilda. Look up the Saint with that name if you do not believe me.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have problems with boys names. I say we, but I really mean my beloved has a problem with boys names. He thinks they are all either too common or stupid.

I mean all of them. Hours and hours of questioning and reading out boys names to him has resulted in three "I suppose that's ok"'s. Adam, Aaron and Ivan.

Girls names are different. He loves most of them, but doesn't like calling a child one name on paper and another day to day, so my unusual names tha shorten to normal names are no good. I'm currently trying to convince him that Elaine Ursula works, names for his gran and my great grandmother who was disappeared in 1945.

I really wanted to call a child rosalija, for another of my Slovene relatives, and for boys names I like Archie, Albert (albie), Maximilian (maxi), ect and I love most girls names. I'd have liked to call a child marguerite and use daisy, but beloved says no. It's a stupid name. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phoebe or Chloe; Adeline or Adelaide - all 'hot' when Ruby was in vogue.

May is good in that it can't be truncated.

However, since Ruby is now very popular (also Emily, Chloe, Phoebe, etc) about they look slightly wider and go for something less common, such as:

Lalage is a pretty name that has fallen out of favour.

Carys or Cerys - from the Welsh for love.

Myfanwy - derived from the word meaning beloved.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really like Rose - which can be "shortened" to Rosie for a child, but has a dignified feel about it.
Lily is another "flower" name, but it's a bit flightier than "Rose" in my opinion.

As another shortening of Elizabeth I like Libby. My brother's stepdaughters are Libby, Edith (Edie) and Dora (Dorothy) which I used to think were "meh" names but which I have come to like.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Views on this, partly due to personal experience.

If I may suggest...

Bear in mind that the child will have to *live* with the name for their whole life. That may well include teasing, bullying, and even hitting on the basis of their name. Continuing into adulthood.

The parents shouldn't indulge themselves. They won't be the ones who have to live with the name.

So

--If you give a child an unusual or awkward name, make it the middle name. And make the first name strong and simple. If the child wants to hide the unusual name, that's easier with the middle one. They may well grow into liking it, but give them the option to hide it.

--Don't do cross-gender names. E.g. actress Michael Lerned had a rough time. All because her dad wanted a boy, and wouldn't give up the chosen name.

--Do the proposed names, or their initials, combine badly with the last name(s)? Famous example: a Texan woman named Ima Hogg. (Seriously.)

--Do the names have a slang meaning?

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
--Don't do cross-gender names. E.g. actress Michael Lerned had a rough time. All because her dad wanted a boy, and wouldn't give up the chosen name.

I'm not sure how the jockey Ruby Walsh got on at school (or why his father decided on that as a name for his son). The wrestler Shirley Crabtree might have chosen a completely different path in life if he hadn't had to live with (I'm guessing here) taunts about Shirley Temple when he was a boy.

Any girl called Millicent or Mildred may very well end up being nicknamed Millipede or Mildew.

When choosing a child's name, it's an idea to revert to your own childhood and think of rhymes and associations that go with the name. They can last well into university and possibly beyond.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My latest grandaughter has been named Isobel Rose which I find rather beautiful. I think it is important to pick names which won't be parodied during schooldays or that are too difficult to learn to spell.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I have Views on this, partly due to personal experience.

If I may suggest...

Bear in mind that the child will have to *live* with the name for their whole life. That may well include teasing, bullying, and even hitting on the basis of their name. Continuing into adulthood.

The parents shouldn't indulge themselves. They won't be the ones who have to live with the name.

This advice gets a lot more difficult for people who have non-English ethnic or cultural backgrounds. In some cases nearly any name given from another language could make the child the target of teasing. My brother and I have lovely names for the country our parents are from but were teased nonetheless because in America they are extremely rare and strange sounding. However it wasn't the end of the world.

I'd raise an eyebrow to Pilot Inspektor or Apple (both celebrity child names) but I wouldn't advise people avoid names with family or cultural significance, solely for fear of playground teasing.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm not sure how the jockey Ruby Walsh got on at school (or why his father decided on that as a name for his son). The wrestler Shirley Crabtree might have chosen a completely different path in life if he hadn't had to live with (I'm guessing here) taunts about Shirley Temple when he was a boy.

The song, "A Boy Named Sue" has a take on that.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ages ago there was a thread on the Ship about ridiculous names. One of the "WTF would any parent do that to a child" names was our daughter's middle name. (She loves it.)
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GoldenKey:
quote:
That's true - but the bullies will find some excuse to pick on you if they want to, and with the 'right' attitude they can make fun of anything. The bullies at my school were nasty about my (fairly ordinary) name, for example.

Shirley, Hilary and Evelyn all used to be boys' names... but became exclusively female fairly soon after people started using them for girls.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmothers were Lillian Matilda and Isabelle. All lovely names that can be shortened prettily, Lily, Tilly and Bella. Our daughter is Eleanor which we loved as it seemed a strong but pretty name. She now calls herself Elly, also nice.
We didn't think at the time (and luckily no-one else seems to have thought of it) that a common shortening would have been Nora [Ultra confused]

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Esme is another boy's name. There is a raft of names like that which have become one-sex names but which are the opposite in other countries, or indeed here historically.

Plus of course some like Lyn which you'll just have to ask about.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely agree that the last name should be considered in combination with the new name. A friend of mine has always wanted to use the Iona. Unfortunately her partner's last name is Ion (his suggestions are Anne and Cath [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Definitely agree that the last name should be considered in combination with the new name. A friend of mine has always wanted to use the Iona. Unfortunately her partner's last name is Ion (his suggestions are Anne and Cath [Roll Eyes] )

Friends of mine Googled the name that they were thinking of choosing - first and last - and found out it was the name of a rather popular, um, adult film star.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if they want to "match" Ruby, they could go with Pearl or Garnet. Or Violet.

I agree with sophs - boy names are much harder. A girl can carry a "pretty" or whimsical name in the way that a boy really can't.

Mrs C and I had long lists of girl's names that we could agree on, but found it terribly difficult to settle on a single boy name.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ruby and Garnet wouldn't work, at least not in the UK, as they are the twins in Jacqueline Wilson's "Double Act."

Ruby and Violet, now, that's a good combination!

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If they want another gemstone name the obvious one is Pearl. Otherwise, Opal (although opals are supposed to be unlucky), Emerald, Beryl or Sapphire.
Unfortunately none have the y/ie ending, so maybe a floral name instead, such as Daisy, Lily, or Ivy?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Ruby and Garnet wouldn't work, at least not in the UK, as they are the twins in Jacqueline Wilson's "Double Act."

Ruby and Violet, now, that's a good combination!

Considering that book is about 20 years old now, it doesn't have the same associations! I know lots of little girl/baby Rubys.

Lily, Daisy, Ivy etc are dreadfully popular (definitely borderline overpopular) in the UK but it's possibly not the case in the US. Frilly Edwardian floral names are ten a penny here now.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ruby on its own is great, Garnet on its own is fine, but a Ruby / Garnet sibling pair wouldn't work, because of the book. My god-daughter read it last year; Jacqueline Wilson's books are going strong even after 20 years.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Our daughter is Eleanor which we loved as it seemed a strong but pretty name. She now calls herself Elly, also nice.

My former neighbour's daughter was called Isabelle which was always shortened to Ellie. Her brothers called her Elly Belly.

Not sure if Letitia or Lettice have come back into fashion, but Letty used to be popular at one stage, along with Hetty (for Hester).

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a wide difference in different English speaking regions. No parent here would name their child Emily because there will be 7 of them in their class at school. For boys Liam is out for the same reason. (also Ashley, Taylor, Connor, Brittany, Cody)

Some other names have negative associations. These are associated with everything from TV show characters (e.g. Ruby from Corner Gas or Ellie-May from the Beverly Hillbillies) to old fashioned (e.g. Mildred) or have stereotypes associated with them (e.g., Claudia sounds like she'd be a clod, Archie is a comic book).

Betsy is a stereotypic name for a cow, "let's go milk old Betsy", or at best a car :let's take old Betsy". Winnie would lead to much teasing for certain, perhaps horse neighing or Winnie the Pooh, and the obvious association with poop. I am led to believe that naming a son Randy, common here, is not done in the UK. But please no-one ever consider the name Neveah, which is heaven spelt backwards and common here.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Well, if they want to "match" Ruby, they could go with Pearl or Garnet. Or Violet.

I agree with sophs - boy names are much harder.

Jade.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:

I agree with sophs - boy names are much harder.

Jade.
Dear Lord no - it's a 90s stripper's name!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Jade was never an option as a personal name a century ago. It still carried the old connotations of a woman with disreputable morals or a useless horse, rather than the beautiful green stone.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Ruby on its own is great, Garnet on its own is fine, but a Ruby / Garnet sibling pair wouldn't work, because of the book. My god-daughter read it last year; Jacqueline Wilson's books are going strong even after 20 years.

I don't think people would automatically think of the book though, and I don't think the book characters would be a negative association? Anyway I didn't realise someone was asking for names for twins, sorry.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's about time Zeppelina made a comeback.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's got to be Edith.

Or failing that, Hilda

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
Our daughter is Eleanor which we loved as it seemed a strong but pretty name. She now calls herself Elly, also nice.

My former neighbour's daughter was called Isabelle which was always shortened to Ellie. Her brothers called her Elly Belly.

Preach.
Pyx_e called me"Kelly belly smelly jelly" in the cafe once; it was just like being twelve again. Bless his heart. [Tear]

I have a cousin named Bonnie. Always thought that was pretty. And Lillian was my grandma Bernice's original first name; she went by her middle name because her mother, grandmother, and cousin were also named Lillian. I always dreamed of having a daughter named Lilly.

[ 25. February 2014, 21:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have 2 sets of girls named Ruby and Pearl in our family. Those names just go together.
I offer you the names of my grandmothers for consideration:
Annie, Amelia, Norah, Eveline.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016