homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Desert Island Chilli (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Desert Island Chilli
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So if you were stranded on a desert island with everything you need for a good chilli: (and therefore able to live a complete life)

Beef. (from lovely plump cows)
Tomatoes. (from the vine)
Beans. (from the bean tree???)
Onions.
Chillies.
Pepper.
Salt (from the sea).
&
Rice. (from your very own little paddy)

What ONE luxury ingredient would you choose to add to this recipe?

Fly Safe,

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chocolate! (Honestly!) but you'd expect nothing else from me [Big Grin]
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dark Chocolate.
No, no, I am dead serious. Just enough. To where you almost cannot detect it. The chocolate enhances the chili flavours, adding a subtle complexity to the overall flavour palette.

ERA: See! The fact that a cross post agrees with me proves it. Thread over now, we have established the penultimate ingredient

[ 24. March 2014, 16:07: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be adventurous. I would add a boat, preferably with an outboard motor.

If I found I didn't like the taste, I'm sure I could find some other use for it.

Though if I were being less facetious, I would add chorizo. I like the smokiness of the paprika within. But it's better than adding just paprika.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I frequently leave out the tomatoes, in favour of beef stock. And I never serve it with rice - usually I surround it in a bowl with tortilla chips, scatter with grated cheese and finish under the grill.

Owing to the variability of the jalapeños you get in the supermarkets*, tend to go with chilli powder.

*I'm assuming this place has a Tesco, and, 50 yards away, a Sainsbury Local. If not, it'll be unique on the planet

[ 24. March 2014, 17:32: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My luxury ingredient on the island would be Firenze to do the cooking, as I like the sound of her chilli (I'm not keen on tomatoes and love cheese).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good bread to mop up the splodge at the end.

A week of cooked meals with no decent bread is enough to drive a strong man mad.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd hope there was bread around too. An extra in the chilli would have to be celery. I find that well-chopped celery goes well with chilli.

(For veggies you can ditch the beef and put another kind of bean in there to vary the taste and texture).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Granted, my desert island chili looks quite different from what you are proposing here (trade the beef for pork, leave out the beans and rice, and trade New Mexico green chili pods for whatever generic chilies you have in mind), but you can't chose what you get stuck in the island with.

Assuming that you just forgot to mention garlic because it is such a basic ingredient that one almost forgets about it, I'm going to go with cumin. Nothing like cumin to bring a nice, warming, homey taste to chili.

After that, I'd spend my free time trying to figure out how to use those cows to get some cheese to go on top of everything.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen to cumin. Also oregano. And please, it really needs eight oz of beer, Dos XX for preference, but any brown ale should do. Well, except Newcastle. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for cumin. It's what makes chilli taste properly rounded.
Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rice? In chili? No. But garlic is essential. Beef, on the other hand, not so much. Tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, onions, garlic, beans (otherwise there'd be no chili con carne (chili with meat).

Some crusty Cuban loaves to sop it up, beer to wash it down. But what do I know? I'm from New England, and never tasted a spice beyond ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon until I went to college.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cumin. Maybe some epazote which helps the digestion of beans. Cornmeal for chips or masa. Maybe some cheese...

[ 24. March 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chilli is served (incorrectly) with rice in the UK.

I don't mind tomatoes in chilli, but only a little please. Og's green chilli sounds rather better though. And no beans! Horrid things and no good for my IBS.

Also cheese just needs salt, acid and time so that shouldn't be too hard if there's a cow - though you'd need a bull too....

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Amen to cumin. Also oregano. And please, it really needs eight oz of beer, Dos XX for preference, but any brown ale should do. Well, except Newcastle. [Razz]

A-freaking-men to all of the above.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quinoa I think.

Probably would leave out the meat entirely. But would probably add a second and third pulse, i.e., lentils or maybe black beans. Some that would make me fart. A lot. After all, there's no one to offend on the island except myself. It was St Augustine who wrote in City of God that some people have such control of their intestines that they can produce fart-music. If I'm on a desert island I would have lots of time to study esoteric matters like this, using this man as hero (wikipedia link), perhaps only NSFW if your workplace is rather prudish.

(You didn't think you could post a chili topic without reminding us of Blazing Saddles and the wonderful cowboy fart scene did you?)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No beans in real chili. Don't get started on rice, yegads! But you should add dark chocolate.

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Quinoa I think.

Probably would leave out the meat entirely. But would probably add a second and third pulse, i.e., lentils or maybe black beans. Some that would make me fart. A lot. After all, there's no one to offend on the island except myself. It was St Augustine who wrote in City of God that some people have such control of their intestines that they can produce fart-music. If I'm on a desert island I would have lots of time to study esoteric matters like this, using this man as hero (wikipedia link), perhaps only NSFW if your workplace is rather prudish.

(You didn't think you could post a chili topic without reminding us of Blazing Saddles and the wonderful cowboy fart scene did you?)

Le Petomane i knew about, but I had no idea about Augustine!
[Overused]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a good chili link... ICS

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would remove the superfluous "l" as well as the downright heretical rice. Add some sour cream, and yes, possibly, a bit of unsweetened cocoa. Shredded jack cheese on top, maybe a few diced avocados.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda Rose has it right
quote:
Amen to cumin. Also oregano. And please, it really needs eight oz of beer, Dos XX for preference,
Now add corn bread and you have a meal.
Ed added d to ad.

[ 25. March 2014, 00:32: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
City of God, Book 14, Chapter 24:

quote:
Even in our fallen state, everyone knows that there are human beings so unlike ordinary people that, whenever they want, they can do tricks with their bodies so unusual that practically no one can imitate them or even believe they can be done. There are people who can swallow an enormous number and variety of objects and then, by a slight contraction of the stomach, bring up as from a bag whichever object they want, and in good condition. There are even individuals who can make musical notes issue from the rear of their anatomy, so that you would think they were singing.
Rice is common in East Texas, where it's grown, though it's what you serve chili on, rather than a proper ingredient. Of course, if it's Texas chili, there won't be beans. I haven't heard of people—well, other than out East, where what passes for "chili" is often a ground meat soup or stew with green peppers in it, far removed from the thick, red, spicy dish I'm used to—ever including black pepper, however. Cumin is the standard spice, besides chiles; it's the use of cumin in chile con carne that gives Tex-Mex its reputation as going overboard on the spice.

So, hmm. I'm okay with the rice—though I prefer the absolutely most simple crusty cornbread, made without sugar—but am assuming I can get away with swapping cumin for pepper. Epazote is great for cooking chili beans (if I get to pick, I'm going to use New Mexican Bolita beans), but you have to use a fair bit of it to still be tasted when all is said and done—but that earth and anise flavor compliments and cuts through everything else so well, that I'm going to assume that the beans have already been cooked. Further, "onion" should also include "garlic," which is essential to a proper pot of chili, so I'm assuming our challenge poster meant all members of genus Allium. I use canned tomatoes in my chili (fresh tomatoes aren't in season during prime chili-making weather, so what's the point?), but I suppose I can make do with Cherokee Purples or Paul Robesons. Beef should be the shank, with the bone included in the pot; nothing gives such a thick, gelatinous "broth" as shank—there's not much liquid at all in chili, but what there is has to be the right consistency—and nothing has quite the same rich flavor. "Chiles" are going to be Chimayo, ground, about a third cup, and a few chipotles for smoke—but never so much as to overpower the New Mexicans. I prefer to get my salt from soy sauce or the canned tomatoes, but I can deal. Ditto the bit of balsamic vinegar I like to add every once in a while, and, if I have to, the Worcestershire, which is more common.

So now, a toss-up: a pound or two of hot Mexican chorizo (no, not anything with paprika, the actually hot stuff!); an ounce or two of dark, unsweetened baking chocolate for dark and bitter flavors; or a bottle or so of Anchor Porter. The chorizo only gets added when I'm in the mood, I don't get full control over what goes in it, and hey, it's mostly useful for the grease to fry the onions/spices in, so I guess it can get left first. But the chocolate and beer…boy, much as the chocolate will be missed (the bitterness is essential!), the beer is needed to deglaze the pot after frying/browning everything, and as a liquid for the long, uncovered braze. By the time I"m done, the beer's reduced to about two ounces of liquid, but, in that time, it provides about the whole of the liquid needed to cook the chili. Plus, I guess it provides the bitter/dark flavors of the chocolate anyway…and it means I have Anchor Porter on my island somewhere in the cold regions of the world.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basic ingredients as in the OP, plus garlic, tomato puree, a splash or two of red wine, a pinch of sugar and a square of dark chocolate if I have any to hand.

Served with rice, garlic bread and green salad (and the rest of the red wine).

I'd be the first to admit that my chilli recipe is about as authentic as the fake Rolexes sold out of suitcases by dodgy geezers in Oxford Street, but it's the one I've been making for the last 30 years and I quite like it.

Sorry about that. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Plus, I guess it provides the bitter/dark flavors of the chocolate anyway

Are you daring me to call you to Hell?
Nothing. Supplants. CHOCOLATE!

You place the chocolate in the chili. If you need further instructions, I can tell you where to place the beer.

This. Is. Heaven. So I suppose a This. Is. Humour. disclaimer is necessary. All in fun, But seriously, replacing chocolate?! [Disappointed]

Calls himself insane. This is true, but insane does not cover it. Does he not have taste buds? Does he not have a Tongue?!

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does he not have access to chocolate stout? Does he not have a beer brewed with chocolate malt? Did he not eat all the chocolate before it made its way into the chili?

[ 25. March 2014, 01:38: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Back to ingredients, has anyone used Harissa?

quote:
Does he not have access to chocolate stout? Does he not have a beer brewed with chocolate malt? Did he not eat all the chocolate before it made its way into the chili?

Then swim back to the mainland for more. Duh.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Plus, I guess it provides the bitter/dark flavors of the chocolate anyway

Are you daring me to call you to Hell?
Nothing. Supplants. CHOCOLATE!

You place the chocolate in the chili. If you need further instructions, I can tell you where to place the beer.

This. Is. Heaven. So I suppose a This. Is. Humour. disclaimer is necessary. All in fun, But seriously, replacing chocolate?! [Disappointed]

Calls himself insane. This is true, but insane does not cover it. Does he not have taste buds? Does he not have a Tongue?!

quote:

This is heavenly.
[Axe murder]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Harissa is of the Gods - a wondrous concoction and certainly a spoon or two enhances many a dish!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rice? Rice?!?! The kids these days....

Beef (diced, not ground, well browned in bacon fat)
Onions
Peppers (poblanos, jalapenos, red and yellow bells, just one serrano, and an ancho and a chipotle thrown in whole and removed at the end)
Tomatoes (not too many)
Beef broth
Garlic
Mexican oregano
Thyme
Basil
Cumin
Bay leaves
1 bottle of beer (minus a couple of swigs to cool off the cook)--it really doesn't matter what kind, though I prefer something dark myself...
6 ounces of strong coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Simmer (never let it boil) for about an hour and a half, drinking beer while you watch. Then taste and "correct the seasoning" with salt, various chili powders (pasilla, chipotle, New Mexico, smoked paprika), vinegar, brown sugar, orange marmalade--whatever flavor it seems to need. This is where the cook becomes a free jazz improviser. Let your imagination run wild ("Free your mind and your ass will follow" --George Clinton)

Let it simmer for another hour while you make the cornbread.

Beans are OK, but you cook them separately and add them at the last minute....That's a whole 'nother recipe.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoa. I just discovered that the guy who achieved a twofer in the World Championship Chili Competitions put prunes in his. [Paranoid] But the recipe does say to remove them after the chili has cooked for two hours otherwise they might explode, or so he says. And I like the last touch. After using seven tablespoons of seven kinds of chile powder (seven TBs in total chile, that is), if it isn't hot enough for you, at the end you may add Tabasco sauce to taste. Aaaayyyyiiiii!!! [Eek!] [Waterworks]

Just. Wow.

[ 25. March 2014, 04:57: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What strikes me about that recipe is 'onion powder' and 'garlic powder'. Why not simply onions and garlic?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
KenWritez of blessed memory ( [Tear] ) once posted a chilli recipe that included a bit of sweet fruit juice. I tried it and he was right. A splash of orange of pineapple juice in your chilli lifts it beautifully.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
quote:

Harissa is of the Gods - a wondrous concoction and certainly a spoon or two enhances many a dish!
Harissa is a staple here in Tunisia, it gets added to most things! (Have to specify "No I want that sandwich/crepe etc without Harissa" when ordering for the kids!) It goes nicely in chilli to add some heat but you need to be careful to know what you are dealing with as it can vary from a bit hot to extremely hot. Last time my hubby stirred a spoonful into his chilli he overdid it and regretted it for a day or so after...
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
What strikes me about that recipe is 'onion powder' and 'garlic powder'. Why not simply onions and garlic?

We use the powder because the actual ingredients can be very expensive when they are have to be trucked in. Last time we bought onions, we got 2 of them for about $4.50. They come down to about 50¢/lb in the summer when they can be grown locally in our 100 days without frost.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Whoa. I just discovered that the guy who achieved a twofer in the World Championship Chili Competitions put prunes in his. [Paranoid] But the recipe does say to remove them after the chili has cooked for two hours otherwise they might explode, or so he says.

Some mole recipes call for raisins, so I buy it.

Timothy, have you ever tried opening that ancho and toasting it in a dry skillet just until it crackles before tossing it into the pot? Toasted red chiles are pure magic.

Now if you really want to get serious and have a day to burn, make a jar of this stuff and add a tablespoon or two to your chili. Added bonus: if you use a cast iron pan to make the paste, the next thing you cook in there is going to taste amazing.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the question in the OP, I'd have said cumin and garlic as well.

When I make chilli, it's:

Chopped onion
Crushed garlic
Beef
Chopped tomatoes
Water
2x beef OXO cubes
Cumin
Paprika
Chilli powder (courtesy of Pete and Wodders [Overused] )
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
Kidney beans
Rice
Sliced jalapenos - garnish with these as required

It may not be authentic, by by crikey it's tasty [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last someone mentions Worcestershire sauce!

How about a dollop of Marmite too?

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Worcestershire sauce and marmite? And you wonder why Britain is never listed as a country with great cuisine....

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually Worcestershire sauce is a great favourite in Mexico (they call it 'English sauce') and is regularly added to mole and other dishes which resemble chilli. And marmite is simply another way of adding umami - I don't see why it should be treated with any more suspicion than adding chocolate.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Worcestershire sauce and marmite? And you wonder why Britain is never listed as a country with great cuisine....

More cheeses than France, the World's greatest puddings (apple crumble rocks, as Kelly would say and she should try it with Cornish ice cream) and my personal favourite, the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie*. Then there is fish (well, there was before the Spanish stole it all with their 2,000 ton seagoing hoovers) and beer. Sorry planet Earth, for variety and excellence, we have you beaten for beer and thanks to Scotland for whisky too.

Jade - I thought the battle about the "English sauce" was between the similarly named but entirely different items; custard and mustard.

*I know Ariston doesn't like it. His loss, more for me.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Because Chocolate is the food of the gods and intentional consumption of marmite is the true Mark of the Beast.
There are already several ingredients which add umami; the beef and tomatoes to start. And they taste good.
Never added Parmesan to a chili before, but it is one of the highest in umami. Hmmmmmm.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

More cheeses than France, the World's greatest puddings (apple crumble rocks, as Kelly would say and she should try it with Cornish ice cream) and my personal favourite, the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie*. Then there is fish (well, there was before the Spanish stole it all with their 2,000 ton seagoing hoovers) and beer. Sorry planet Earth, for variety and excellence, we have you beaten for beer and thanks to Scotland for whisky too.

It is not individual ingredients which make a cuisine, but the combination thereof.

It has taken a long time, but Americans are finally learning what good cheese and beer are. And how to make it themselves.

For proper pudding, you are correct. Though Southern US bread pudding deserves mention. For "pudding in name only" Britain has its place, but Italy and France do as well.
ETA:Honourable mention to the Danish

Father nearly disowns me every time I say it, but I loathe Scotch whiskey.

Much as I hate to admit it, Ariston is correct about pork pies.
Pasties are the best hand-held meat conveyance.

[ 26. March 2014, 16:06: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Chilli should be served with bannock, which does not look the wikipedia picture. It is simple to make: per cup of flour, 1 t each salt, baking powder and sugar, 1 T butter. Mix with water or milk to a non sticky dough, form into rounds with hands. Fry over low-med heat both sides.

The other way is to wrap it over the end of a stick and cook it over a fire, with the chilli also on the fire. Which is traditional camping fare. It works really well in the winter. You precook the chilli, freeze it in pans and when frozen, take out and wrap in plastic. You can break off sections to cook, or if too thick chop them off with an axe.

Tomatoes are too expensive to put in fresh here, it is always those from tins. Or if we have the garden grown variety, they are too special not to each raw.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Actually Worcestershire sauce is a great favourite in Mexico (they call it 'English sauce') and is regularly added to mole and other dishes which resemble chilli.

Well, I wouldn't call it a "great favorite". I mean, it is known and used in some recipes like some versions of the michelada cocktail but in my experience it's not a common mole ingredient* and I can't remember by grandmother or aunts ever really using it in their kitchens or my mom using it at home.

A lot of the stuff people mentioned after the OP I would consider staples not luxury ingredients of the Mexican/Southwestern kitchen: cumin, chocolote, laurel (bay leaves), garlic certainly, epazote, oregano and chorizo. Chipotles were a staple in my house growing up ages before it was trendy ingredient used by hipster cheftestants on "Top Chef".

My mom use to make a stew that was chilli in all but name using beans and whatever were the weeks leftovers. Sometimes it had leftover picadillo. It was best when it had chorizo. We ate it with soft corn tortillas, of course.

If I had to pick ONE luxury ingredient to add it would be the roasted and dried chiles from the mom's home region in Mexico. Even my relatives elsewhere in Mexico rave about these chiles when I bring them as gifts. They're luxury ingredients because they're relatively hard to get outside of mom's home region. We usually bring back a bag or two on our trips there.

eta: I should say Google brought up about 199,000 hits for "receta + salsa inglesa" (recipe + english sauce (worcestershire sauce)) but that's compared to 544,000 for just "mole + receta". So, its used in a lot of recipes but ones without it number a whole lot more.

[ 26. March 2014, 16:37: Message edited by: Pancho ]

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meerkat

Suricata suricatta
# 16117

- Posted      Profile for Meerkat   Email Meerkat       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hate to tell ya, lilBuddha, but Scottish Whisky (Scotch) does not have the 'e' ;-)

--------------------
Simples!

Posts: 160 | From: Herts, UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

When my parents lived in Mexico, near Guadalajara, Jalisco, corn was always added. By the early 2000s and corn was seldom grown, it wasn't part of it any more. I think people are usually practical about these things, often using what they have available locally. Green papaya was sometimes added too.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chili from these parts is known as Cincinnati Chili. I like it more than traditional southwestern/Mexican chili (which would never have rice or sour cream or celery, noodles, etc!!).

Cincinnati chili is "traditional" in the sense that it is known and liked in our region (although you can find frozen Cincinnati chili around the US) and it's emblematic of the cultural mix in several cities in this part of the country.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

I know lots of people despise Cincinnati chili, but as a regional dish, I think it is quite good. I think of it as sort of a Greek-influenced Bolognese sauce (the spices are typically Greek, and it is sometimes served on top of spaghetti with grated yellow cheese on top).

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Hate to tell ya, lilBuddha, but Scottish Whisky (Scotch) does not have the 'e' ;-)

It isn't worth drinking, it isn't worth fighting spell check.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
KenWritez of blessed memory ( [Tear] ) once posted a chilli recipe that included a bit of sweet fruit juice. I tried it and he was right. A splash of orange of pineapple juice in your chilli lifts it beautifully.

I think I'd rather do that than add actual prunes.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016