homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » false security

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: false security
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know that thing where the bank requires customers to jump through huge amounts of security proceedures - just to open an account - and then prints out a statement to anyone who comes in with a bank card without even checking the person's name? That.

You know that thing where the naked airport security scanners cannot even see a fucking sidearm? That.

You know that thing where those who callously collect and store mountains of pieces of individual data, only to tell you a few months down the line 'oh, sorry Sir, someone has hacked into our database'. Fucking-A.

And while we're at it,

You know that thing where the bank which previously told you it was proudly ethical in it's behaviour but cannot distinguish between you and your brother because you share an initial? That same bank that it turned out had a fucking huge hole in its accounts and was being run by someone on coke? That.

For fuck's sake. Is this the future? That we're enticed by ever more inventive forms of advertising, fancy sounding interest-rates and jiggery-pokery to give them their money, only to find that they can't keep hold of it securely.

And finally: Whilst I appreciate your long years of service and I accept that you were doing your best, the fact the credit union you were running went bust shows that having two elderly ladies and a retired general is not a way to run a financial institution that people depend upon.

I mean, really.

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like you've had a tough time of it. Perhaps leave the firearms at home next time?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was phoned by an investment firm where I have a few savings a couple of days ago. There was no caller ID. The conversation began like this:

Caller: Hello, Mr Eutychus, I'm from Moneybags Investments and I'm just checking our details. To make sure I'm talking to the right person, please confirm your account number.

Me: Hello. To confirm you are who you say you are, please tell me that information, not the other way around.

It went steadily downhill from there.

It gets me how banks are always so hysterical about customers ensuring they keep their details safe and get so uppity when customers try to verify their credentials.

[ 17. February 2014, 09:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

- Posted      Profile for pydseybare   Email pydseybare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually say I'll phone them back for security purposes and ask for the department from the main switchboard.

But I semi-regularly get automatic phonecalls from the bank telling me that there is an unusual payment on my account - because I happen to have bought something in France without their permission. One is supposed to press buttons or something to prove something-or-other.

These seem to me to be inherrently unsafe. Are they living on some other planet where they don't get spam phone calls every five minutes?

--------------------
"If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future."

pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

And if any fucking supermarket attempts to give me a fake (or shitty-looking) banknote, I am totally within my rights to refuse to accept it. I don't give a shit what the person at the till thinks or how much the people behind complain.

FFS, what is wrong with people?

--------------------

Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And furthermore, if you fail to respond to their hysterical demand that you immediately fax the status of your mother's maiden name to a secure number because they think there is unauthorized activity on around and near your account, nothing happens, they just forget it. Like when internet banking says it doesn't recognize the pc you're using (rubbish) if you go back a page and resubmit, that box disappears.
And I never give my details to a cold caller.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a run in with an Ulster banknote issued by a machine at a supermarket (I have no worries about Scottish, but I had got through my life without ever coming across an Ulster one before). I got it changed, but the woman told me the machine would not accept such notes! So how did it get to give it to me?
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not posted in Hell for 5 years. But I am joining this one to swear at my bank as well, and its stupid ridiculous systems.

If my bank finds unusual activity on my card, they freeze it. Fair enough: they are keeping an eye on things, and a call sorts it out. So when I was going overseas, I popped in to inform them that there would indeed be 'unusual activity' on my card for the next 10 days, and not to worry.

Nevertheless, they froze my account, and I had to spend £20 on a mobile phone call from Israel to reassure them that yes indeed, I was in Israel, like I had told them I would be, and it was indeed me who was using my card (perfectly normally) in Israel.

Now they tell me that they have no system for putting any kind of note by my name, so that every single time I go overseas, I have to live with the exhilarating danger of having my account frozen. Because, as they told me during that £20 phonecall, your card could get stolen in Israel too, you know. Because somehow they can't tell the difference between perfectly usual activity and unusual activity when it's in Israel, as opposed to at home.

Oh, and guess what. My mobile is pay-as-you-go-emergencies-only, and it was fucking lucky that I had topped it up enough before leaving for Israel, because guess what: my account was frozen and I wouldn't have been able to have topped it up to phone the bank about my account being frozen.

Yeah, I know, I should change banks. But they all look kind of the same from where I'm standing.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't even get me started on Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. This is the first year that I have been in India and not yet had to telephone them at least twice to tell them to stop playing silly buggers with my card. One year they even froze it mid-stay and I could not even use it again until I was back in Canada and could scream of their so-called "Customer Care".

On the other hand I still have two months and a bit to go, so I will keep you posted.

[Mad]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:

The fact the credit union you were running went bust shows that having two elderly ladies and a retired general is not a way to run a financial institution that people depend upon.

I was with you every step of the way until the elderly ladies. As one of those things myself, I can tell you my banking skills were meticulous and uncompromising when it came to security -- much to the scorn of the young 'uns who called me Miss Priss and thought I should chillax.

It's those elderly men that bring down the banks with their greedy schemes and insider old boy favors.

{Love your signature.]

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
quote:
Originally posted by pydseybare:

The fact the credit union you were running went bust shows that having two elderly ladies and a retired general is not a way to run a financial institution that people depend upon.

I was with you every step of the way until the elderly ladies. As one of those things myself, I can tell you my banking skills were meticulous and uncompromising when it came to security -- much to the scorn of the young 'uns who called me Miss Priss and thought I should chillax.

It's those elderly men that bring down the banks with their greedy schemes and insider old boy favors.

{Love your signature.]

And the young ones who have never seen a market crash and so assume investments will keep ballooning up forever.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greed has no age verification.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We occasionally have door-to-door security system sales people come by. First question, before they even tell you that they are selling something: "Is your home currently protected by a security system?"

Why the fuck am I going to tell a stranger that? (At least I am usually holding back a 70 pound dog when the conversation happens, so even if they were casing the joint, they'd probably have second thoughts about coming back.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And the idiots who call and say, "We're with your health insurance system. Would you please verify your date of birth for security purposes?" To which I reply, "You tell me." And then they get huffy. Hey, buddy, you initiated the call, and you could be anybody for all I know--I'm not so much as telling you my phone number.

I mentioned this annoying problem to a director in the system, who assured me that she'd set up a password instead. So the next time the jerks call, I try to use the password. "Oh no," they say, "We can't accept that. We need your birthdate." (And probably a few extra bits of info after that, I suspect)

Fuck off.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's quite amusing seeing dear little pydseybare swearing his sweet little head off.

Has he only just discovered that life's a bit of a bitch?

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me tell you a few things. I've worked in banks for about half my working life (about 20 years so fucking far!) and I get these problems.

I've known directors of both HSBC and Lloyds whinge about their own personal banking, even when they are classed as "persons of significant wealth".

But any financial organisation is between a rock and a hard place. If they allow any fraud on your account you will be more pissed off, and the fines that can be levelled are huge, not to mention bad publicity and loss of confindence which leads to loss of business.

So they err on the side of caution, which pisses people off but doesn't lead to the "bad things" that would happen if they were more trusting/lax (delete as appropriate).

Yes there are some issues such as notification of being in a different country being ignored (I got caught with this so much in my previous role I signed up for US banking services and had a US credit card simply because the NatWest caused me problems when I tried to buy some guitar strings in a guitar shop in Nashville!).

Some things can and should be fixed, but the banks will not ease up very much on security. I would NOT bank with one that did.

If anyone has any suggestions for fixing these things then let us know.

And I agree with the phone calls where the company asks you to provide information. I love these when I'm in the mood. You can do all sorts, provide fake details, ask them for their personal PIN number to verify who they are. The one that frightens them the most is telling them you are recording the call for training and legal purposes. That's always amusing.

Instead of just hanging up or shouting, there should be a concerted campaign to keep these people on the phone as long as possible. That will reduce their call rate and the companies will sack them. Then eventually the companies themselves will get the message that their model is no longer fit for purpose.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love all the financial institutions and medical institutions who when I call ask me to verify I'm me by giving my social security. As if that's any deep secret in the age of the internet.

The technical term for this and the airport screenings is "Security Theater". It's a little drama to show you they know they have security problems and are happy to do meaningless rituals to reassure you.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I love all the financial institutions and medical institutions who when I call ask me to verify I'm me by giving my social security. As if that's any deep secret in the age of the internet.

The technical term for this and the airport screenings is "Security Theater". It's a little drama to show you they know they have security problems and are happy to do meaningless rituals to reassure you.

I can't speak for airport security, but the main rule in banking is to comply with the Banking Act and to show that you have adequate procedures in place and they are followed properly. If fraud happens, then you at least have a defence in law. Of course fraud always happens because the fraudsters are ahead of the banks and the banks play catch-up, but as long as the boxes are ticked then the banks are compliant with the law and regulators.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unlike the investment company I mentioned earlier, French banks have not yet sunk as low as UK ones. I can still get through to a human being at my local branch on the phone, and if they detect "unusual activity" they ring you up before doing anything else.

(However, in similarly trusting manner, they tend to send you cheque books through the post by ordinary, non-registered mail unless you plead with them not to).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I was phoned by an investment firm where I have a few savings a couple of days ago. There was no caller ID. The conversation began like this:

Caller: Hello, Mr Eutychus, I'm from Moneybags Investments and I'm just checking our details. To make sure I'm talking to the right person, please confirm your account number.

Me: Hello. To confirm you are who you say you are, please tell me that information, not the other way around.

It went steadily downhill from there.

It gets me how banks are always so hysterical about customers ensuring they keep their details safe and get so uppity when customers try to verify their credentials.

Yeah, I had something similar recently, where my insurance and super company called me and then several minutes into the conversation wanted me to confirm my personal details. I said no, that isn't how it works. If YOU'VE called ME, I think it's fair enough to assume you know who you've called.

I can't remember exactly what the call was about, but given that they'd initiated it, I didn't care enough about the topic to continue. I said goodbye politely to him because I didn't think he was a scammer, but isn't this EXACTLY what scammers do? Call you up, try to pretend they're from a company you already have a relationship with, and get you to divulge details?

As far as I was concerned, if he was genuine he should have already had the relevant details. He already had my phone number and name.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Now they tell me that they have no system for putting any kind of note by my name,

Change banks. Seriously. Because I know for a fact that banks exist that CAN put a note by your name.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't had these banking problems. We go to Europe regularly, within and outside the Euro zone, and also less regularly to South America. Roughly about such 15 trips. The process is quite simple.

Online banking site: register the itinerary with dates expected in each locale. Make sure that bank cards and credit cards are linked so that the itinerary applies to both. Have a second credit card on hand, also registered with the itinerary, for use it the first one is compromised. Take the bank phone numbers with you, and know how to dial them from overseas. Call the bank from a landline if any trouble.

I had a backpack with cards in it stolen in Eastern Europe. I called the bank, reviewed the transactions with them on a computer borrowed from the hotel while we both had them open, and they terminated the cards with the transactions we reviewed as the endpoint of usability. Then used the the extra credit card to do the rest of the trip. No problem, though rather a hassle, as the back pack was recovered when the thief tried to exchange Canadian money the next day and they easily nabbed him at a bank. The only other thing was not being able to withdraw money from accounts but having to do cash advances against credit card, which was handled by transferring into credit card so it had a positive balance, which saved on cash advance interest.

Banking may be different in different countries, but it is not possible in my Canadian bank to get a print out of anything without either a bank card and PIN (the bank card password), or knowing your full bank card number and your PIN. You have to scan the card and put in the PIN before you get anything from a teller if you're doing things in person.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years a go I called Sony because I'd forgotten my PS3 account details. Sure, they said, we'll reset it for you. All I needed to do was email them a scan of my driver's licence. I asked if this was the same Sony who had lost everybody's account and credit card details to hackers?

Yes, they said, same Sony. All you need to do then, I told them, is to fuck off.

Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
(I got caught with this so much in my previous role I signed up for US banking services and had a US credit card simply because the NatWest caused me problems when I tried to buy some guitar strings in a guitar shop in Nashville!).

Maybe they thought you were going to play country & western, and decided that you had to be stopped, whatever it took [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Banking may be different in different countries, but it is not possible in my Canadian bank to get a print out of anything without either a bank card and PIN (the bank card password), or knowing your full bank card number and your PIN. You have to scan the card and put in the PIN before you get anything from a teller if you're doing things in person.

It's like that here too, except my late father used to go to his local Post bank and they'd say "hello Brian, how much do you want out?" When I raised te idea of an ATM card he said, "but they all know me here" which is some ways is the ultimate security. Not as useful when travelling or in cities though.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yea and amen to the above.

Can I add to this my dear and wonderful bank who rang me up with security concerns after I tried to make a donation to a preaching website I use (the transaction was declined and they rang up about 3 nanoseconds later). Despite being able to confirm every single one of the transactions they mentioned, they still decided to block my card, leaving me with no means of getting cash out or buying anything.

[Mad]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just before going abroad I made a few purchases online, and the good ol RBS enacted a block on my bank account until I told a robot which called me what my birthday was. Problem was, they had fucked up my data and changed the date unilaterally goodness knows how. This came to light when I tried to pick up the car from its MOT and my card bounced. The garage mechanic called the bank and put me on the line to the agent who told me to tell her my secret password. Given there were by now about 4 other customers in the office, I declined, whereupon she intructed the mechanic to destroy my card.

I later phoned up customers' complaints, finally got some sense into them, but was given the reply that they couldn't get me a new card before I left for abroad. In fact, they didn't even try to act like they were trying to help me until I reminded them of their bank motto, "Make it happen". Guess what? They didn't.

I'm not making this up.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
Yea and amen to the above.

Can I add to this my dear and wonderful bank who rang me up with security concerns after I tried to make a donation to a preaching website I use (the transaction was declined and they rang up about 3 nanoseconds later). Despite being able to confirm every single one of the transactions they mentioned, they still decided to block my card, leaving me with no means of getting cash out or buying anything.

[Mad]

I wonder where the bank's call centre was located. Just sayin'

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just sayin' what?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
pydseybare
Shipmate
# 16184

quote:
Let me tell you a few things. I've worked in banks for about half my working life (about 20 years so fucking far!) and I get these problems.

I've known directors of both HSBC and Lloyds whinge about their own personal banking, even when they are classed as "persons of significant wealth".

But any financial organisation is between a rock and a hard place. If they allow any fraud on your account you will be more pissed off, and the fines that can be levelled are huge, not to mention bad publicity and loss of confindence which leads to loss of business.

So they err on the side of caution, which pisses people off but doesn't lead to the "bad things" that would happen if they were more trusting/lax (delete as appropriate).

Yes there are some issues such as notification of being in a different country being ignored (I got caught with this so much in my previous role I signed up for US banking services and had a US credit card simply because the NatWest caused me problems when I tried to buy some guitar strings in a guitar shop in Nashville!).

Some things can and should be fixed, but the banks will not ease up very much on security. I would NOT bank with one that did.

If anyone has any suggestions for fixing these things then let us know.

I for one have absolutely no problem with security systems in a bank, providing they actually work. From where I'm sitting, the banks seem to say one thing but then actually themselves act in a completely different way when it suits them. I have low confidence that their professed security systems are much more than wallpaper to make us feel secure rather than actually provide security.

quote:
And I agree with the phone calls where the company asks you to provide information. I love these when I'm in the mood. You can do all sorts, provide fake details, ask them for their personal PIN number to verify who they are. The one that frightens them the most is telling them you are recording the call for training and legal purposes. That's always amusing.

Instead of just hanging up or shouting, there should be a concerted campaign to keep these people on the phone as long as possible. That will reduce their call rate and the companies will sack them. Then eventually the companies themselves will get the message that their model is no longer fit for purpose.

Some of us don't have time for that. When I am busy, someone who I am not expecting to call has about ten seconds to explain who they are and what they want before the call gets cut off - including the bank and other services I use. I don't have time for their friendly banter or their attempt to sell me extra services I don't want, or to fill in their customer feedback form or anything else.

I figure that if they ever had something important to tell me, they'd call back. They never have.

--------------------

Chill
Shipmate
# 13643

- Posted      Profile for Chill   Email Chill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course fraud always happens because the fraudsters are ahead of the banks and the banks play catch-up,

deano aren't a few of them in said banks. There is the deferred prosecution agreement singed by HSBC to sort out that money that just happened to go through the washing machine. Who have guessed those nice Mexican gentlemen were actually Colombian Marching powder salesmen. [Roll Eyes]

Not to mention allegation's regarding RBS recent record with SMSEs? [Disappointed]
JP Morgan are still settling as of the 4th another 614million to be paid to the US for underwriting sub-standard mortgage loans. Have Reuters got it wrong? Cause there calling it mortgage fraud. [Devil]
linky-poo

Were you just thinking of the small-time variety of fraud mate?

[edited for weird codefux. what did you think you were doing?!? Get thee to the UBB practice thread, eejit. -comet, Hellhost]

[ 19. February 2014, 21:07: Message edited by: comet ]

Posts: 343 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Chill:
quote:
Of course fraud always happens because the fraudsters are ahead of the banks and the banks play catch-up,

deano aren't a few of them in said banks. There is the deferred prosecution agreement singed by HSBC to sort out that money that just happened to go through the washing machine. Who have guessed those nice Mexican gentlemen were actually Colombian Marching powder salesmen. [Roll Eyes]

Not to mention allegation's regarding RBS recent record with SMSEs? [Disappointed]
JP Morgan are still settling as of the 4th another 614million to be paid to the US for underwriting sub-standard mortgage loans. Have Reuters got it wrong? Cause there calling it mortgage fraud. [Devil]

link repair part 2
Were you just thinking of the small-time variety of fraud mate?

Well that's what this thread is about. Perhaps you have misunderstood the nature of it.

Phone calls to check identity? Credit Card's being blocked to buy guitar strings? Not being able to buy a meal when on holiday abroad?

Yes it is small-time stuff we are talking about on this thread. Which bit is confusing you?

[code repair take two - c, HH]

[ 19. February 2014, 21:11: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------

Chill
Shipmate
# 13643

- Posted      Profile for Chill   Email Chill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes it is small-time stuff we are talking about on this thread. Which bit is confusing you?

Just observing the irony no confusion It was just an aside. I take your point about auditable deniability of culpability and legal compliance. I was just amused by the notion of Banks struggling to keep up with fraud in the current financial climate.

I am not confused just amused mate. The image of banks struggling to keep up with fraud had me snorting my tea when I read it. Like Usain Bolt getting overtaken by an egg and spoon race.

Chaz

Posts: 343 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on a trip. Got home to find an email from my ABC credit card co saying they suspect a problem, call this number. Why shouldn't I assume it's a pfish? But I called, he said ABC credit card security please give credit card number and social security number for verification. I said, I'm responding to an email, I don't know if it's legit or not, so I'll hang up and call the number on the back of the card.

The call turned out to be legit, someone had used my number to buy $5000 of t-shirts. They asked if it was me but had already blocked a second similar purchase, no accusations that I must have done it. But really, an email saying what a pfish says? you'd think they'd tell me to call the number on the credit card, not trust an email.

A friend discovered someone was using her Visa number to open instant credit accounts and buy computers, furniture, the purchases and shipping address 3 states away from her. She protested, credit card co insisted she was the one making the purchases. She's never been to that state. Lots of fighting and them accusing her.

She had to make police reports before they would agree to write it off, she said you know his address go get him, they said no, too much work. So the thief at a known address got to keep it all.

They finally agreed to issue her a new credit card number just before a trip - it was used by someone before it even arrived in the mail!

I travel with two credit cards kept in separate places when traveling. I've heard too many stories of someone suddenly having a card unexpectedly blocked, or a wallet stolen with all the cards.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whenever I get a call from bank or card people and they so the security bit, I go through their hoops, then ask them to prove they are who they say they are.

9 times out of 10 this ends the call. One bank called me 'difficult' after I did this and cited as evidence the fact that THEY had the wrong maiden name for my mother. When a 'supervisor' called me to tka ehte matter further, we had to do the whole thing again - this time they altered my year of birth; even when I pointed out that I was older than 8 they didn't seem to get it [Mad]

At the moment one credit card company this I'm dead - they keep sending me stuff as ** (deceased); meanwhile another won't cancel my late-lamented's card because they aren't authorised to speak or write to me - and please could they speak to the cardholder. So far I've sent 3 copies of the death certificate but no joy getting through to them. [brick wall]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

If I got a call like that I'd be very wary. Because I work for a bank, and I call customers. That is not part of the customer verification process or data protection process that we use.

If they ask you for account details don't give them. Ientity theft is serious business.

Or it could be that French banks have different rules to British ones.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just coincidentally, this is making news. From the CBC website

[ 03. March 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: PeteC ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Criminy. When banks fall for Nigerian prince scams, maybe the thread title would more accurately read, "NO security. Anywhere. Ever. For anybody."

[ 04. March 2014, 00:17: Message edited by: Porridge ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016