homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Jesus the blogger

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Jesus the blogger
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just read in a book the comment 'Jesus was a preacher' as part of an argument in favour of preaching as a way of communicating God's message nowadays.

This got me to wondering how Jesus would have done his work if he became flesh in 21st century UK, rather than 1st century Palestine. I thought he might have used blogging, or maybe street art. What do you reckon? I'd be interested to see what folks think, both UK-based Shipmates and those from elsewhere...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a question that might prove helpful...

How up-to-date was the real time-line Jesus on the communications technology of his day? We know he used oral preaching to get his message out, but were their other media he could have been doing, but didn't?

For some reason, I have the idea that scholars think he was likely illiterate, so would have foregone writing his points down directly. But obviously, there were literate followers writing about him a few decades after his death, so we can probably assume that he had friends who could have done that while he was alive. But, for some reason, he didn't. At least not that we know about.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was J John who wrote that 'Jesus went around telling stories and asking questions.....we go around preaching sermons and giving answers'

I actually think Jesus would spend most of his time meeting those who don't have the luxury of easy access to the 'web' or 'soshul meeja' - the people I see begging on our city streets, the asylum seekers, the sex workers, the people on poverty wages / inadequate benefits, the young people staggering out of clubs and vomiting their Jagerbombs all over the pavement..... ie the least, last and lost.

Because of this, I think he would become a 'curiosity figure' in the media, with agents and editors trying to line him up for broadcast interviews and guest apperances. I suspect he might delegate that task to some disciples?

Hang on a minute, isn't this what some of his disciples are doing already?

Slight tangent, this reminds me of the anecdote about 'Woodbine Willie' chaplain in the British Army in WW1. Once when some of his regiment were were crawling under barbed wire, being fired on by the enemy, he was there with them. One soldier asked him who he was, so he told him he was 'the church.' 'So what are you doing here' the soldier asked. He replied, 'the Church's work'

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I actually think Jesus would spend most of his time meeting those who don't have the luxury of easy access to the 'web' or 'soshul meeja' - the people I see begging on our city streets, the asylum seekers, the sex workers, the people on poverty wages / inadequate benefits, the young people staggering out of clubs and vomiting their Jagerbombs all over the pavement..... ie the least, last and lost.

Thing is, though, these days, at least some of the people in your line-up there WOULD have access to the internet and allied media. And pretty direct access, if we're talking about cell phones. So he might actually use social media to reach at least part of that population.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
For some reason, I have the idea that scholars think he was likely illiterate

That wouldn't go with him reading scriptures in the synagogue.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
For some reason, I have the idea that scholars think he was likely illiterate

That wouldn't go with him reading scriptures in the synagogue.
That's a point.

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe there is also a reference to Jesus writing on the ground (John 8).
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
quote:

Thing is, though, these days, at least some of the people in your line-up there WOULD have access to the internet and allied media. And pretty direct access, if we're talking about cell phones. So he might actually use social media to reach at least part of that population.
Persuant...

Cellphones Re-shape Prostitution In India

Mind you, I don't know if these cell phones all allow access to social media.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Jesus is on Twitter.

Jesus of Nazareth @jesusnazar tweeted (3:21pm)
#mygod my god why have you #forsakenme #golgotha #bleeding #thissucks

God @godalmighty retweeted (3:45pm)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Maybe Jesus is on Twitter.

Jesus of Nazareth @jesusnazar tweeted (3:21pm)
#mygod my god why have you #forsakenme #golgotha #bleeding #thissucks

God @godalmighty retweeted (3:45pm)

This is brilliant, but it would be a shame if the original topic got swamped by further tweets or similar - so no more here please.

no prophet, if you think there's a Heaven thread in there, feel free to repost your contribution there!

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016