homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Which jobs make you happy?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Which jobs make you happy?
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So according to this BBC Magazine article the job with the highest reported life satisfaction in the UK is the clergy and the lowest is publicans.

Sadly my own profession did not appear on the list but do you think it correlates with your experience? Anything surprise you? In the light of this who's up for a career change?

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Certainly doesn't correlate with my experience. I was a lot happier as a librarian than I was as a primary school teacher.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Highfive
Shipmate
# 12937

- Posted      Profile for Highfive   Author's homepage   Email Highfive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just left graphic design for forklift driving. I'm happier because I'm being paid on time, but I've just broken my toe so...
Posts: 111 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cross-pond question: What's a "playworker"?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My name is Sioni Sais and I'm happy in my job. There, I've said it now.

(I'm a business analyst in the civil service)

eta: Interesting to see publicans and clergy at opposite ends of the table. Both have no say in who comes into their houses, they both deal with a succession of lame ducks and the hours are equally demanding. I suppose publicans make fewer house calls while clergy have to break up fewer fights (but not necessarily). If they swapped, would both be happier?

[ 21. March 2014, 14:58: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Cross-pond question: What's a "playworker"?

The people who truly keep a theatre running. But some people mean this, people who help parents hang on to sanity whilst sacrificing their own.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was asked this two weeks ago. I am, and I want to be, a writer/missionary. I am very very happy in both those roles (well, until the latest book/latest person starts being a major pain in the arse, but that goes with the territory). The big problem is that you can't make a living in either of those roles, unless you are exceptionally lucky.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For all the hell calls they generate, I'm surprised to find quality assurance on the "happy" list. Getting yelled at by unhappy consumers doesn't seem like a ticket to happiness.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed being a nurse, though I hated ward management. I loved being an outpatient sister. The experience of dealing with difficult patients in clinic would be beneficial for someone running a pub and I've always suspected I would rather enjoy it (I have considered it before!). I'd have no problem breaking up the fights either, despite being 5 foot tall.
I wouldn't fancy being clergy, I'd hate having to preach and all the admin bits and I don't like meetings. I'd be good at the people skills bit though.
I'd suggest the happiness ratios of clergy and publicans have little to do with their day to day jobs and more to do with their status and class. Their experiences of health are likely to be very different. Publicans usually have few holidays too. The list itself suggests that status is a big factor.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Job satisfaction is known to be fairly well correlated with how much automnomy you have in your working life. Conversely, night working is known to be associated with poor health and shorter life.

I can see how being a publican would be hard.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I get mid-table, which is probably right - software people are very varied, and I am reasonably fortunate in my current role.

I would like to be an author, which would make my life happier, apparently.

My wifes job is far higher up, but she is not happy in it. So I think it is as much dependent on the particular role you currently have than the broader definition of job title.

[ 21. March 2014, 16:33: Message edited by: Schroedinger's cat ]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Job satisfaction is known to be fairly well correlated with how much automnomy you have in your working life.

Which is why many teachers, including myself, had great job satisfaction until the national curriculum came in and told is what to teach and how to teach it - using content and methods which we know to be detrimental to pupils.

Also the balance of the job changed - 20 hours with kids BUT 40 hours on box-ticking, form filling paperwork per week.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My occupation is number twenty-two on the list, and yes, it makes me very happy!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't have Pensioner living in Paradise on the list - job satisfaction rating pretty darned high!

eta: ...even given the long hours and tough working conditions.

[ 22. March 2014, 03:00: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a supply teacher who often teaches primary students, I would be in thirteenth place. I am seriously thinking about going back to university to get a degree in primary education with an eye to teaching 7 and 8-year-olds when I can no longer do heavy stage and trade-show work.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
As a supply teacher who often teaches primary students, I would be in thirteenth place. I am seriously thinking about going back to university to get a degree in primary education with an eye to teaching 7 and 8-year-olds when I can no longer do heavy stage and trade-show work.

Thirteenth is not bad!

I have been a primary school teacher since 1978 and I have loved it. You are NEVER bored and the kids are great. I like 7 to 11 best but infants are good to teach too.

But, I would say, the paperwork has become rather crazy. It takes so much time up the job takes up many hours in the week + one weekend day. So a LOT of energy is needed. I would say it's a young person's game these days. All our staff get to school before 7:30 and leave at about 5:30, then mark at home.

I now teach two days a week, which is ideal as I have plenty of time for planning, preparation and marking with leisure time too.

The holidays are great - but few teachers would do the job without them! The level of vigilance/alertness good teachers have is that of an air traffic controller (and they get a break every half hour!)

[Smile]

[ 22. March 2014, 12:54: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wild Organist
Apprentice
# 12631

- Posted      Profile for Wild Organist   Email Wild Organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being an organist can send me to Heaven (the playing side, not the admin/choral training/clergy bits). [Yipee]
Being a Civil Servant (which is what pays the bills) is frequently Hell. [brick wall]

--------------------
Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

Posts: 50 | From: West Sussex | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wild Organist:

Being a Civil Servant (which is what pays the bills) is frequently Hell. [brick wall]

I know what you mean. The civil servant part of my job is all constraints and frustrations: fortunately the actual job content is so poorly understood by others, even those up the line from me, that I can do what needs to be done pretty much the way I want to do it.

[ 22. March 2014, 13:23: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...fortunately the actual job content is so poorly understood by others, even those up the line from me, that I can do what needs to be done pretty much the way I want to do it.

That was what I loved about being in the AIDS Industry back in the 1990s - nobody else in the Department had a clue what I was doing most of the time and The VD Regulations meant that most of the time I couldn't tell them even if I wanted to - in that sense it was bliss! I could just get on and do it without interference and I had a network across the country of folks in similar jobs so plenty of chances for peer review and support.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was pretty darn happy as a video game tester. I liked trying to break the game and get paid for it! I liked the fact that one had to be a good writer in order to secure a contract job as a game tester--if you were illiterate or couldn't string two sentences together, you didn't get hired as a game tester.

I also really enjoyed being a proofreader. Maybe, if my wife and I can ever move to the Seattle area, I can get a job either testing games or proofreading...or both!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
That was what I loved about being in the AIDS Industry back in the 1990s - nobody else in the Department had a clue what I was doing most of the time and The VD Regulations meant that most of the time I couldn't tell them even if I wanted to - in that sense it was bliss! I could just get on and do it without interference and I had a network across the country of folks in similar jobs so plenty of chances for peer review and support.

Yes, being a clinical nurse tutor in Ophthalmology had a similar effect, nobody knew what my role was. I was basically given free rein to develop my own post. I've had some lovely nursing jobs. (I ran an Ophthalmic HIV clinic in the mid-90s as well, possibly my favourite clinic).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
... it is as much dependent on the particular role you currently have than the broader definition of job title.

Good point, SC. I'd add that your perception of your job satisfaction is bound to be coloured by your relationship with your boss and/or colleagues - good ones can make a hell of a difference to your overall well-being.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice that primary school teacher = 12th, special needs teacher = 99th. The Special Needs teaching can give you huge highs (when there is a breakthrough) but also a lot of hard graft as well. And even more admin than general teaching; these days exacerbated by very high (and sometimes sadly unrealistic) expectations of what can be achieved. So one hell of a lot of hard work, punctuated by times of elation. A roller-coaster of a job. Sorry, I mean vocation.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Job satisfaction is known to be fairly well correlated with how much automnomy you have in your working life.

Given that biochemists score highly (38th, I think), my problems are obviously due to micromanaging twats...
(how does one micromanage a twat, I wonder?)

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It isn't the job that makes me happy, it's appreciation. Being told I've done a good job is what makes it worthwhile.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My main role is househusband, which I love and gives me a lot of satisfaction. But it isn't on the list because although it is a lot of work and many, many people do it, it isn't paid.

In a way I like my job sneaking under the radar. It means the government doesn't introduce OFParent, and send failed parents with clipboards to my house to measure how badly I am doing.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Social Worker/Anthropologist/Poet

I can't say that being a social worker makes one happy, but it can be meaningful and has been for me. There were good moments. . . . Retired, but still doing it.

My anthropological work (ethnography) has always made me happy. I love the diversity of life, and to have been paid to explore it was wonderful. Retired but still doing it.

Writing makes me lose track of time. [Smile]

I guess, by virtue of the fact that I am still doing the three things I've always done, despite a reduction in income says that the good outweighs the bad.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the jobs which made me happiest was when I worked for myself, teaching young children to play the piano. No inspections, no lesson plans, no contracts. Just me and the children, sitting down and making music together. Bliss!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Singer and singing teacher - always good news as a job, though there is nowadays much more teaching than paid singing. I would list myself under musician. I do think that music teachers are a separate category from other teachers, especially when it's one to one. But I would absolutely agree that conditions of work and quality of colleagues can make it heaven or hell, depending.
I'd definitely put myself closer to 22 than to 169. At the moment, the satisfaction rating is high. [Smile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I notice that primary school teacher = 12th, special needs teacher = 99th. The Special Needs teaching can give you huge highs (when there is a breakthrough) but also a lot of hard graft as well. And even more admin than general teaching; these days exacerbated by very high (and sometimes sadly unrealistic) expectations of what can be achieved. So one hell of a lot of hard work, punctuated by times of elation. A roller-coaster of a job. Sorry, I mean vocation

I've been both and loved both and now I'm working with the Anglican Church in Kenya and loving that too.
All of them have been very stressful at times but also joyful, maybe there is something in the word "vocation"?!

[ 28. March 2014, 17:52: Message edited by: MrsBeaky ]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been happy spending 20 years working in university student services. I have worked as a Writing Centre Consultant, Academic and Career Counsellor, Student Development Counsellor, Student Employment Counsellor, and now, a Student Accessibility Counsellor. It is great helping university students year after year. It has slowed my descent into complete curmudgeon.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was certainly happier as a musician than as a psychologist--though the latter was pretty good for a while. If I could have made as much as the alleged average musician in the survey, I'd still be doing that, though.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing extra I would like right now is $100,000 in the bank, but I would not swap anything for that $100,000. I put this down to being a Priest and so being in an environment that encouraged me to become more fully myself. I am certain that I am not the only Priest that feels this way. So I am not surprised we top the list.

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One hand up here for high-school teacher - Math, Physics, and other - in a small rural high school. No, I didn't always get the most-academic students, or even the best-behaved, but I was (and am) able to get a good response and to make a difference. The relationship I have with former students shows that something about my being there helped.

Explains why I am still doing some classes in the local H. S., despite having retired in 2002 - the pension is OK, so I can afford to volunteer.

Mrs. Beaky's comment on vocation fits here. I never thought about doing anything else for just about every one of the fifty years I've been teaching.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a university engineering lecturer for nearly 20 years - I loved taking classes, but the remainder ended up making me ill.

At the moment I'm a part-time lab technician in a different engineering lab. It's dirty, often heavy, low-paid work with two good colleagues, and I really like it. It's temporary, and it feels somehow selfish to say I'm really hoping something comes of it...but I am.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
It isn't the job that makes me happy, it's appreciation. Being told I've done a good job is what makes it worthwhile.

Yes! It's the same for me. Some of my satisfaction comes from knowing I've made a difference somehow, put my own personal touch to things; but it really makes me happy in a job if others value what I do. I've been quite unhappy for a few years now. But I'm being unappreciated right out the door at the end of the month. I hope I find a new job that will have the possibility for happiness once I'm back in Detroit!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016