homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lenten progress

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lenten progress
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're nearing the end now. As Lents go, for me personally this has been one of the easiest. I've coasted through it, keeping my Lent resolution to give up a couple of things, doing the prayer thing in the morning, and hardly engaging at all with the spiritual side. An attempt to do the Stations of the Cross seemed to just skim the surface; I got bored, completed it quickly and left.

This is in total contrast to previous years when I walked the journey of Lent and felt it almost every step of the way; when it was a struggle, but things meant something, and the Stations of the Cross were intensely moving; when the end of Lent seemed far away and a real relief when it came. This year I'll notice hardly any difference. I have no sense of the spiritual at present and don't feel motivated.

So - how is your own Lent going? Are you finding it difficult, or succeeding?

If you're another one who's coasting, or may have been, do you have any suggestions for getting back on track?

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I undertook to read The Imitation of Christ for Lent. Some parts of it were incredibly good (especially the section on the Eucharist), and other parts were totally irrelevant to my life.

Unfortunately, I have finished it, and Easter is still a week away. Fortunately there are enough activities at church during Holy Week to keep me on track.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Without going into details, the giving up side of Lent has had many crashes this year - even more than normal. However, I have kept going with my Lent book - Rowan William's The Wound of Knowledge. As with everything of his that I've read, I've found it excellent; bits have gone over my head but there has been plenty to feed and challenge me. Here's one of the many passages I've highlighted:
quote:
Conversion and repentance - those words which Christians of all persuasions have come to use so glibly - involve going down into the chaotic waters of Christ's death, so that the Spirit can move to make "new creation"; being unmade to be remade.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016