homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Lost play: a cry for help

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Lost play: a cry for help
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether this should be in Heaven, All Saints, or not on the Ship at all, but ... I'm trying to track down a script for a sketch from "some years ago".

Back in the 80s/early 90s the whole drama skit/sketch thing was very much in vogue, and I got roped into more than my fair share. We once did a very simple one: it was a two-hander in which A is dressed up as a baby in a playpen, and B is a parent/carer. The whole theme is "Love One Another", and B attempts to get A to say "Love one another". A, however, is a baby, and can't quite manage it. B gets increasingly frustrated, and ends up throttling/battering A whilst yelling "Love one another".

It was very short, and very effective, if somewhat disturbing (everyone laughs when an adult walks on in a nappy and talks nonsense; everyone gets uncomfortable as it gets very dark at the end).

I have an occasion where it would be handy to use it, but I gave all my drama stuff away years ago. I could re-write it from memory, but suspect there are subtleties I've forgotten so would rather not.

It predates wide use of t'InterWebz, and despite my usually considerable Google-Fu I can't find hide nor hair of it online.

It may have been in a "Back to Back" or similar collection. But it may not.

Ring any bells with any ex-iffy-Christian-drama bods?

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see you have had no replies so far, so let me weigh in with ideas. Is there a body (I don't know where you are) in your area that is in charge of the copyrights for drama, and licensing their performance? They might well know. Is there a playwrights association? Perhaps even a Christian playwrights association? Is there an eminence grise of religious drama, someone who has a long memory and deep experience?
Oh, and is there a library that collects or specializes in these things where you are? A smart librarian might be able to fish it out for you.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
The whole theme is "Love One Another", and B attempts to get A to say "Love one another". A, however, is a baby, and can't quite manage it. B gets increasingly frustrated, and ends up throttling/battering A whilst yelling "Love one another".

It was very short, and very effective, if somewhat disturbing (everyone laughs when an adult walks on in a nappy and talks nonsense; everyone gets uncomfortable as it gets very dark at the end).

[Eek!]

SOMEWHAT disturbing? I think I'd be so disturbed at the staged baby beating that I don't think I would take anything away from the skit, other than a strong desire to not come back to this church in the future.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brenda: not that I'm aware of.

Og: well, indeed. As I was typing it made me ponder "What were we thinking?" but that's part of the reason for wanting to track down the original. The way it worked it wasn't as traumatic as it sounds - not least because the "baby" was 6'4" with a beard ...

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I daresay you had to be there...

I would be inclined to rewrite. I suspect, if you did recover the original, you'd find memory had cast a glow over it that the mere script doesn't deliver.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure the right big baby can pull it off. (Our best volunteer youth group leader used to be the master of turning drinking games he learned at rugby parties into perfectly innocent and well received youth group games, so trust me when I say that I get how some things sound like terrible ideas on paper but work really well in practice.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016