homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 2048

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 2048
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can blame Hart for finding this horribly addictive little game [Biased]

Enjoy!

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I am trying so hard to get some work done, but keep wanting to have 'one more try'... sigh.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, Ariel dear, now that you've posted that so-easy-to-find link, I'm blaming you.

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are also free app versions of it like "Double up" if that helps [Two face] It's what I did on the train to work.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know (roughly) the minimum number of moves you can make to win the game?
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Wait....you can actually win the game?!??!?!?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I refer you to this post.
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedgehog, some of us who are less special play on a 5 by 5 board. That's how I was introduced to the game, and it makes it much easier to get to 2048 [Big Grin]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

I finally managed to do it, after about four days of trying. I had to resort to googling "2048 Strategy," but I'm free of the damnable game at last.

On your question, this is the kind of thing that I get obsessed with, and I think that this might be a game where most winning games take about the same number of turns. You need two twos to make four, two fours (four twos) to make eight, etc. The number of twos that you need to get to 2048 is probably not far from the average score (and it probably wouldn't be too hard to find that number with sixth grade math skills, although I'm not going to attempt it), give or take a few random 4s.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who enjoy the 2048 game AND Dr. Who here is a great version: Doctor Who 2048

Basically the strategy I've used is always try to build up to a single corner. Use one of the sides leading up to this corner to build up lower numbers/earlier Doctors but keep them in order. Do everything you can to avoid moving the one corner. I hope that made sense!

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, that is how I finally won. Keep your highest number in the bottom left hand corner, and never shift up unless you have no other options, as that will get a 2 trapped under a bunch of big numbers.

--------------------

Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my favorite version...
Cumberbatch vs. badgers

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the lowest score you can achieve before getting stuck? I think theoretically it would be if you got left with alternating 2s and 4s.
I've reached 2048 a few times now - you have to be very tidy and methodical.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding poor Mr Cumberbatch and his recurring walk-on role in this madness, copied form the "Mental stimulation" thread:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(sigh)

So in all the 2048 madness, Flausa introduced me to this.

Holy shit.

You know, I have never gotten around to watching Sherlock, and I was wondering what the huge fuss about this Cumberbatch cat was, but if there was ever a chance I would become a fan of his, this pretty much pounded that possibility into the ground. I have never grown so sick of someone's face so quickly.

I told her,"If I ever see him in person, I will probably snap,'I'm [cheering] for the otters! And don't you ever make that shouty face at me again!'"

Meaning, I am not going anywhere near the Who version, no chance,no way. There are certain faces I do not want to get sick of.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just managed to get 4096. I didn't know that was possible.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DUDE!!

IngoB, did you hear that???

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine had been playing for a while trying to complete it, and showed me the game. I got to 2048 on my 5th attempt. He was pretty annoyed! I now have got to 4096 as well. Probably the smartest I've ever felt!

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Fifth. Attempt.

I can't respond to that outside of Hell.

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Kel, numbers is one thing, but surely having your wit and good looks is better?

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Roll Eyes]
I was so very pleased with myself for getting to 1024. Finally.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
Just managed to get 4096. I didn't know that was possible.

Blimey - neither did I. Keep going and let us know how far you get!

I wonder if this game is open-ended [Two face]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks open-ended. When you get to 2048 it helpfully offers the option of continuing or ending
(and I really wish it didn't - I need to do other things, not get distracted by 2048 or 4096, or whatever - I was hoping achieving 2048 would remove the frustration.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where did my evening just go? [Paranoid]
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep trying to go to quickly; I can see the mistake as soon as the move is made and there's no way of undoing. Aargh.

More haste, less speed.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

You mean you haven't found the undo button?
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope. Am I being dense? Is it blindingly obvious?

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
A friend of mine had been playing for a while trying to complete it, and showed me the game. I got to 2048 on my 5th attempt. He was pretty annoyed! I now have got to 4096 as well. Probably the smartest I've ever felt!

One of those. [Mad]

(My freshman roommate was like that. I'd find a cool game, play for about a week, and get a top score that I thought was pretty good. He'd decide that he ought to give it a try, take one game to get the hang of it, and double my top score on the second attempt. And his parents never let him play computer games as a kid, so it was pure natural aptitude. I should have been happy for him, but it drove me up the wall.)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Jonah... [Disappointed] [Snigger]

--------------------

goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
One of those. [Mad]

To be fair, usually when we play puter games the same friend destroys me, so I'm very used to being humiliated by him. It's just that this time it was a numbery game, rather than a drive fast / shooting zombies game. So I don't feel too bad...

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The list of apps to avoid grows monthly it seems.(says the guy busy trying to get close to portals on Ingres)

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

Jonah... [Disappointed] [Snigger]
That's what I thought. [Hot and Hormonal] Spider Solitaire has one though, so I thought I'd ask. Mmm, Spider Solitaire.

More practise is clearly the key. [Help]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:
It's just that this time it was a numbery game

This is another one that I'm going to argue is not a number game. Much like Sudoku. It looks like a number game, but it would be no different if it took two A's to make a B, two B's to make a C, etc. Numbers are just the most logical place holder- it's all about organizing your big tiles just right. (And apparently, I just remembered, as it has been mentioned above, people have already caught on to this, by using different faces in place of numbers.)

But good for you for showing up the first person shooter fan. The guys on my freshman hall used to play a lot of Goldeneye, a James Bond based shooter, and I always got demolished any time I picked up a controller.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made it to 4096 [Yipee]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Regarding poor Mr Cumberbatch and his recurring walk-on role in this madness, copied form the "Mental stimulation" thread:
quote:
(sigh)

So in all the 2048 madness, Flausa introduced me to this.

Holy shit.

You know, I have never gotten around to watching Sherlock, and I was wondering what the huge fuss about this Cumberbatch cat was, but if there was ever a chance I would become a fan of his, this pretty much pounded that possibility into the ground. I have never grown so sick of someone's face so quickly.

I told her,"If I ever see him in person, I will probably snap,'I'm [cheering] for the otters! And don't you ever make that shouty face at me again!'"

Meaning, I am not going anywhere near the Who version, no chance,no way. There are certain faces I do not want to get sick of.
I Love shouty Sherlock! I laugh each time he appears and who could not love seeing otters?
But curse you to the darkest corners of the netherest regions; I clicked the link. On my iPad. And it worked. I had not thought it would work, so I hadn't tried. Now I know it will. And know you are revealed for the evil being you are.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

See, here's the thing. Shouty Sherlock freaks me out-- maybe because he us frozen that way-- but I, too, giggle at that face. Albeit nervously. And it is really gratifying to see the otters trump him over and over again.

In fact, I tend to score better on the otter version, because i am actively siding with the otters, I think [Big Grin]

I just think the experience has deprived me of any possibility of developing a fangirl swoon over him. Too many otter faces interfere. [Big Grin]

[ 23. April 2014, 20:01: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
See, here's the thing. Shouty Sherlock freaks me out-- maybe because he us frozen that way-- but I, too, giggle at that face. Albeit nervously. And it is really gratifying to see the otters trump him over and over again.

I just had a go at the Cumberbatch vs Otters version. Nice idea but Shouty Sherlock freaks me out as well, because he looks too much like the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who. *Shudder*

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I have to say I vastly prefer shouty face Sherlock to that weird GQ Rico Suave Sherlock that pops up at the 516 marker.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somebody on my Flickr feed posted a shot of the game completed to 2048 - not that I'm paying that much attention to Flickr, but it came up when I opened up the computer today. I guess the answer is to get 4096 and riposte with that ... when real life isn't quite so busy ...

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally got to 2048 once, never managed it since.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've managed to get to 2048 a couple of times, the first time you get a 'yay' you win' screen and the next time you just get 'now reach 4096' instead, sad times.
Just managed to get to winning on the cumberbatch/otters version. That otter at 4 is plotting against me though.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2048!

After about a month, I've got past the sticking point of 1024. I retire.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fifth attempt.

There's definitely a knack to it. I wasn't even close the first four times - I saw a 1024 tile once. The fifth time went smoothly all the way up to 2048, and I got another 1024 and 512 tile on the board before it got very crowded.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else notice that they do better if they use only three directions?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - you need to avoid having a solid 4xN rectangle of different numbers, because it forces you to move in the 4th direction, and then you get a 2 stuck in a bad place.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finally achieved 2048.

Now I must give this up. Far too addictive.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016