homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Australia's treatment of asylum seekers, High Court challenge

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Australia's treatment of asylum seekers, High Court challenge
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As report by The Grauniad:
quote:
On Monday, Australian immigration minister Scott Morrison confirmed that 41 Sri Lankan asylum seekers had been handed over to the Sri Lankan navy in an on water transfer after they had their claims “screened” on board an Australian customs vessel.
This action has received widespread condemnation from, among others, legal scholars who have stated:
quote:
This raises a real risk of refoulement, in breach of Australia's obligations under international refugee and human rights law, including the 1951 Refugees Convention, 1948 Universal Declaration on Human Rights, and the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Such summary procedures do not comply with minimum standards on refugee status determination under international law. Holding asylum seekers on boats in this manner also amounts to incommunicado detention without judicial scrutiny.

Is anyone interested in a ship-meet to discuss in person this appalling behaviour on behalf of my elected government?

<snip>

I would personally appreciate any prayer or other supplication you might be prepared to offer for The Honourable Scott Morrison. Or for 153 alleged seekers of asylum.

[Edited to remove e-mail address - Piglet, AS host]

[ 07. July 2014, 17:17: Message edited by: piglet ]

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gentle Hostly Oink

AP, I'm not sure from your post whether you're trying to arrange an actual ship-meet (it seems to be very short notice) or if you want to discuss the situation of the asylum-seekers.

If the latter, then the thread may be better suited to Purgatory - I'm consulting with the other AS hosts to see what they think.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hostly Oink

After taking advice from the other AS hosts, it's been decided to close this thread, as it's verging on a breach of Commandments 8 and 9 - crusading and potential spamming.

I've taken out the paragraph with the e-mail address, as it's never a good idea to publish e-mail addresses, even ones from a public body.

Thread closed.

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016