homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Left-footed cavia with three headed mothers Sunday

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Left-footed cavia with three headed mothers Sunday
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have long been wondering, on any given day, how many crackpot UN-designated days it is. Moving back to Aotearoa has made it a frustratingly ecclesiantical question, as lobby groups remind the cathedral dean that next month is Three Headed Psychrolutidae With Dentures Sunday while the week after it is Mow Your Lawns Backwards With Whale Sperm Up Your Sphincter Sunday.

I'm afraid I am disappointing my lobby groups. I subscribe to a tradition that has a fine liturgical year. In preaching and in liturgy the issues faced by Polyphyodontially Challenged Three Headed Blobfish, Seafarers, Rainforests, and Whale Sperm should all be addressed, obviously not specifically, in the broad brushstrokes of faith application.

(I am even over the Five Marks of Mission, as every purchase of ecclesiastical toilet paper is delayed while congruence with the Marks is negotiated: funnily enough it is the ever-evolving crocodile sentences of Mark Four and Mark Five [like a Ford Zephyr] that generate the most [eco-friendly] heat).

As for torturous attempts to make some obscure passage in 1 Kings, three half verses in Fourth Thessalonians and a hiccup/hiccough in The Third Gospel of Thomas set the proclamatory/kerygmatic lectionary tone, get me a bucket.

So: for those of us wrestling with a year of liturgies and sermons styled by lectionaries: do we buy into this dictatorial twaddle (not a biased question, no, not at all) or not?

[ 01. August 2014, 19:19: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I recognise that blobfish from somewhere.. [Ultra confused]

Zappa - keep taking the medication, dear soul, but you do have a point. Is this an antipodean thingy? We don't seem to have over-many weird days in the C of E calendar.......(I think).....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if I'm not missing something in the blobfish reference but I see the point.

Any chance of reducing the reference down to a brief mention in the Prayers of the People?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unsurprisingly, I'm going to go with 'not.' I do think preaching requires attentiveness to the congregation, and if they are all celebrating some secular holiday then that should be one of the things we take to prayer as we prepare ourselves to preach. Luckily for us in the US, almost all of these are on weekdays, so they don't disturb the Sunday celebration.

On a Sunday before a secular celebration that's actually observed, I'll probably put something in the intercessions. I've got Mass on Labor Day, which I noticed when the September schedule came out, will actually be the first time I've preach on the actual day of an American holiday. I will probably preach on work that day, and there are readings offered by the lectionary for that.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's much bigger - and indeed almost an expectation - in NZ than it was in OZ. It's kind of consistent with the NZ Anglicans' cultural cringe about being liturgical at all, I think.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One option in terms of ecologically sensitive feast days is to revive Rogation Day, Lammas Day and Harvest Thanksgiving in the Church, and focus on ecological themes.

Speaking of which, Happy Lammas Day!

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our neck of the woods (aka corner of Our Lady's Dowry), the only extra-liturgical Sundays we celebrate are Mothering Sunday (Lent 4), Sea Sunday (2nd Sunday in July - appropriate for us as a dockside parish) and Harvest Festival (end of September or thereabouts). In all fairness, not too onerous - and useful pastoral opportunities

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

As it happens I just rad this quote from Brian McLaren, which seems apposite:
quote:
In a missional/apostolic approach to Christianity, every component of our faith (worship, liturgy, creeds, theology, fellowship, spiritual formation, religious education, publishing etc.), though itself valid and valuable, must lead to good works, good lives, good creativity and goodness to help our world get back on the road to being truly and wholly good again, the way God created it to be. (Brian McLaren, Generous Orthodoxy, Zondervan 2004, p. 251)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are quite a few in the UK too, off the top of my head:
  • Anti-Slavery Sunday (18 October 2014)
  • Back to Church Sunday (end of September),
  • Bellringers' Sunday (moveable feast),
  • Bible Sunday (26 October 2014),
  • Christian Aid Fortnight (May);
  • Churches Together Week (January - 18-25 ish)
  • Environment Sunday (8 June in 2014)
  • Fairtrade Fortnight (23 February - 8 March),
  • Harvest Festival,
  • Homelessness Sunday (18 January)
  • One World Week (19-26 October 2014 (with suggested prayers on 18 October),
  • Patronal Festival,
  • Prisons' Week (16-22 November),
  • Remembrance Sunday (nearest to 11 November)
  • Sea Sunday (13 July 2014)

There are more, those are just the ones I remember without bothering to look properly.

Suggested Prayer diary that includes these days?
Display in church to celebrate whatever is happening, but stick to the lectionary?
Include information as to how to get involved in whatever the issue is within the newsletter?
Add into the intercessionary prayers?
Include a hymn that makes a reference?
Add it into a different service - so not the main service, but a theme for an evening service if it's not always evensong?

(and I forgot Mothering Sunday)

[ 01. August 2014, 20:06: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or just ignore them.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

...every purchase of ecclesiastical toilet paper is delayed while congruence with the Marks is negotiated...

If your toilet paper already has marks on it, do not buy it: you are being fobbed off with a second-hand product.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, Curiosity killed......I now feel quite faint..... [Eek!] [Eek!]

A simple mention in the intercessions (and possibly on the weekly bulletin) seems like a Good Idea!

Ian J.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bishops Finger - do you really not mark Remembrance Sunday at all? Not criticising, just very surprised as it's nearly universally marked in churches in the UK, IME, and across denominations too. Do you mark it (or November 11th itself if not transferred) as Martinmas?

I would say that most Mainlines in the UK mark Christian Aid Fortnight and Fairtrade Fortnight, plus Remembrance Sunday, Mothering Sunday, patronal festival (for churches with a patron) and Harvest. Usually Back To Church Sunday and Churches Together Week too. I think I've been in churches that mark Bible Sunday, but none of the rest of Curiosity Killed's list. Never encountered Sea Sunday for instance, not even when I lived in a seaside town.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The complaint in the OP was a particular beef of my training incumbent, who grumbled that the Church seemed constitutionally unable to allow Ordinary Time to BE Ordinary Time, but instead thought of it as a blank territory to be filled with 'Special Sundays' like a fridge covered with magnets and post-it notes. The rhythm of the Church year is lost when so many Sundays are special themed Sundays. I tend to agree with this view.

What it looks like is a cheap and easy way of saying 'See? We do care' about this or that.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep 'special' Sundays exist all over the place, we cope by ignoring them -

We do sometimes mark one that Curiosity didn't mention - education Sunday. It's a good chance to rope the schools in to preach for the day [Biased]

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't help when the "high ups" add extra special Sundays. In the UK, there is now Vocation Sunday and in Canada the Sunday after Ascension had been designated Jerusalem Sunday. It's not that I don't think either themes are important; just that I'm not sure making a themed Sunday is the way to go.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those added 'Special Sundays' aren't obligatory though. We tend to ignore them here, or simply give them a mention in the intercessions.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess, I knew about Education and Vocations Sundays too, I forgot when I was putting that list together. There's also the Children's Society's Christingle service.

I chaired and ran the Missions Group for a few years, trying to juggle this one until everybody got bored of it, keeping something going a previous curate set up. We did a lot of displays in church, notes in the newsletter, alternative Sunday evening services as a way to do it. But also invited the then Bishop's wife to give the sermon on Prison Work as she was leading it at the time.

Something I did for a few of these occasions (and need to put together for the centenary of WW1) were prayer walks around the church which got led as one Sunday evening service, but left to get on with it for the rest of the time. That was a way of dealing with One World Week or Fairtrade Fortnight.

This church has had a monthly Choral Evensong for ever and a few years ago we (I) set up a weekly service at the same time so that there was always something on for the occasions when the Choral Evensong moves around other things (usually the Civic Remembrance Sunday service in the afternoon). It came out of discussions on here as to where to put experimental stuff and try out other ideas. So we've (I've) done Café church things on Fairtrade, the prayer walks and other stuff that can absorb some of these events.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World Aids Day, on the Sunday closest to 1 Dec.

I have a rubber "Church of Scotland HIV/ AIDS project" bracelet specifically to wear to church that Sunday. And a red ribbon, of course.

Also Souper Sunday but it is a moveable feast and just slots in on any available Sunday.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Jade - yes, we do indeed keep Remembrance Sunday - I can't think why I didn't mention it!

Ian J.

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many of you remember Worldwide Communion Sunday ?

Lots of protestant churches make a big deal of this. Of course Anglican/Episcopalian, Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches have no need of a "special" Sunday to celebrate the Eucharist.

It seemed to me - being a young Methodist church kid- that it was kind of hokey. Then later when I realized that some churches had communion every Sunday . It blew me away.

I don't see the need or benefit of putting a special tag on so many Sundays. Especially when told to find appropriate hymns about some obscure subject.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
How many of you remember Worldwide Communion Sunday ?

Lots of protestant churches make a big deal of this. Of course Anglican/Episcopalian, Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches have no need of a "special" Sunday to celebrate the Eucharist.

No - they have a special Thursday instead. [Biased]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa, it's time to be countercultural. Simply say No. If people want to celebrate World Spoonbill Sandpiper Day or FGM Sunday, tell them to do it at home.

Apart from the fact that the church has a liturgical calendar, there's an even more fundamental point. However strongly I may feel about something, I'm not entitled to insist that everyone else is as excited about it as I am. Nor am I entitled to project those feelings at everyone else so as to make them feel guilty about not feeling the way I do.

That incidentally applies to the clergy as much as anyone else. Being ordained and having a cure of souls, does not give a person either the right or a calling to project their pet causes onto their congregations, however worthy and however strongly they feel about them.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

...every purchase of ecclesiastical toilet paper is delayed while congruence with the Marks is negotiated...

If your toilet paper already has marks on it, do not buy it: you are being fobbed off with a second-hand product.
*coffee snortle*

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been to churches that celebrate Mothers day (all mothers stand up to be applauded, sermon is about how wonderful mothers are) and Fathers day (all fathers...etc) and Valentines day (all married couples ... etc) and Veterans Day (all veterans of the armed forces stand...) and Memorial Day (veterans get two occasions per year), all of which made me wonder when is it my turn? Answer, never unless you get married or join the armed forces. I REALLY wanted a "war protesters day" but the clergy guy shuddered and said no.

And BTW I refuse to sing Star Spangled Banner in church. It's a war song.

Current church pays the slightest attention - might give a carnation to every woman on mothers day (any age, mother or not), sermon might have an introductory comment about it's Valentine's day, just like a sermon might mention the local college winning the football game, or the winter olympics when it's taking place, and on to other things - awareness of what's going on in the culture, but not letting that awareness dominate.

I like that approach, acknowledging the secular culture major events but not letting it dominate.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
gog
Shipmate
# 15615

- Posted      Profile for gog   Author's homepage   Email gog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been impressed of late that a lot of the resources produced for "special Sundays" that I tend to use/have contact with are now producing there resources based around the lectionary readings for that Sunday. Thus giving something that fits the theme of the season, and doesn't take away from the continual readings.
Posts: 103 | From: somewhere over the border | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
... World Aids Day, on the Sunday closest to 1 Dec. ...

In our place, that's usually reserved for the Advent Procession. [Big Grin]

We're very traditional, Prayer Book Anglican, and only have to worry about our Patronal Festival (24th June or nearest Sunday), Harvest Thanksgiving (early October), Remembrance Sunday and a couple of military services: Battle of Britain (mid-September) and Battle of the Atlantic (can't remember exact date).

On the Sunday nearest to 1st July, the names on the Cathedral's WW1 memorial are read out, in honour of those who died at the Battle of the Somme and Beaumont Hamel, and there's an Act of Remembrance; the names on the WW2 memorial are read on Remembrance Sunday.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only commemorate days on the liturgical calender. Holy Women, Holy Men (I will use Lesser Feasts and Fast until I have no other choice) commemorates plenty of people I find questionable at best without remembering Blessed Fred Rogers who is the closest thing to an actual saint the United States has produced in the last 50 years. I'm not about to sanctify somebody's random pet political issue.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy Women, Holy Men is the print version of the Dancing "Saints" Rotunda at St Gregory of Nyssa in SF.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had that same thought. St. Fred Rogers of Pittsburgh isn't dancing at St. Gregory of Nyssa either. Don't know why.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
Holy Women, Holy Men is the print version of the Dancing "Saints" Rotunda at St Gregory of Nyssa in SF.

Never thought of it that way, but YES!
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to look that church and art up. Um. Wow. We have enough trouble with actual canonized saints as it is, and I've felt awkward when I've been at a weekday service and they've mentioned some of the people from Holy Women, Holy Men as if they're canonized.

Bless their hearts, and I trust that they are in God's hands, but that's not the same thing as deciding to call them saints, with halos and everything. Yikes.

I can't find the C S Lewis quote (still! My attempt to find it actually linked me to an older thread on the Ship where I mentioned this, LOL) and I think it's in a letter or something, but he said something about being glad there isn't a scheme for canonization in the Church of England, because it would be such a hotbed of conflict. And this sort of thing is why. Ugh.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

I can't find the C S Lewis quote (still! My attempt to find it actually linked me to an older thread on the Ship where I mentioned this, LOL) and I think it's in a letter or something, but he said something about being glad there isn't a scheme for canonization in the Church of England, because it would be such a hotbed of conflict. And this sort of thing is why. Ugh.

Yeah - I hadn't thought of that. Trust CSL to put it so succinctly.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

One year, another local church replaced the Litany of the Saints on Easter Eve with a litany of those who had died in the previous year, giving rise to such surprising invocations as :

V. Holy George Steinbrenner :
R. Pray for us.

[Ultra confused] [Killing me]

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aahh you've met my family from the fens have you?
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an aside, Shipmates from the US would be able to correct me if I'm wrong but I've got the impression from people I know here who have spent time among the US non-denom's and megachurches that they also go in for special Sundays ...

Only there it's things like, 'Bless Your Pastor Day' or else a big thing is made of Mother's Day, Father's Day and various other 'family days'.

Certain non-conformist Free Churches over here used to make a big deal of celebrating particular anniversaries ... the founding of the chapel or the Sunday school etc ...

So it's not entirely an Anglican or a liturgical thing.

Mind you, I get funny looks from some Anglican clergy when they find out that I follow the Lectionary in my own personal devotions ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile, does anyone remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2n5gAN3IlI

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
I had to look that church and art up. Um. Wow. We have enough trouble with actual canonized saints as it is, and I've felt awkward when I've been at a weekday service and they've mentioned some of the people from Holy Women, Holy Men as if they're canonized.

Bless their hearts, and I trust that they are in God's hands, but that's not the same thing as deciding to call them saints, with halos and everything. Yikes.

Yep. I find it mostly with TEC members but I'm sure it exists for other Anglicans - somehow the fact that the Anglican church does not canonize has escaped people. I know someone (via t'internet) who refers to St John Donne and mentioned Julian of Norwich being Blessed to RCs and St to Anglicans. Um, no.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016