homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Penguin-friendly Scotmeet August 11th 2014

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Penguin-friendly Scotmeet August 11th 2014
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To stop me derailing the child-friendly Scotmeet thread, I thought I ought to start a fresh one for the impending northward migration of Smudgelet and me in August.

I have been in consultation with Derf and, to save any prevarication and lengthy debate, we've decided on Glasgow(ish) on 11th August... probably something child-friendly during the day and probably something meal-like in the evening... From here we're open to suggestions.

I will probably be travelling by train.

So, anyone interested in joining us?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay!
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to come to this. However, Smudgie, you have gone and done it again, and coincided a trip to Scotland with our holiday down south. I am starting to get a little paranoid. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack, you are a liability! How could you arrange a trip down South to coincide with my trip to Scotland AGAIN? It is tooooooo loooooooooong since I've seen you.

(The boy will be in Scotland for a fortnight if you're around then - I know he's keen to see you for a photo walk if you're free)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Monday evening?
Very definitely a probable maybe.
Or maybe a definitely probable....

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still have to arrange holidays with the children in the short space I have between trip to Japan and the schools going back. And, that needs to work around whatever plans other people are making.

But, if I can make it with children during the day I will. No promises at this stage though.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might be able to do a Monday in Glasgow. That could be fun.

Cattyish, contemplating summer options.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fair enough having a Penguin-Friendly Meeting BUT what guarantee are we offered that the Penguin in question will be Friendly back?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
It's fair enough having a Penguin-Friendly Meeting BUT what guarantee are we offered that the Penguin in question will be Friendly back?

Good question. Maybe fresh fish will help?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a probable for the 11th August (sorry will commit nearer the time.)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Waddling by to bump this up a bit, seeing as August is just around the corner.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hurrah! We should probably decide what we want to do at some point...
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

The time is rapidly approaching for our trip northwards. We ought to start thinking a bit more seriously about whether anyone else wants to join Derf and me and the Smudgelet and sczlet during the day on 11h August.
Also, we need to come to a decision about what we will do for the day.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
The time is rapidly approaching for our trip northwards. We ought to start thinking a bit more seriously about whether anyone else wants to join Derf and me and the Smudgelet and sczlet during the day on 11h August.
Also, we need to come to a decision about what we will do for the day.

I've got Edinburgh Book Festival things during the day, but I'm free for the evening. (Oddly enough I couldn't get a ticket for George R R Martin that evening.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friends I've not seen for several years are in the Highlands that weekend, so that's where we'll be. Sorry to miss you.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure what my hours are that week yet, but definitely up for something early evening. And if I'm on earlies, afternoon is a possible too.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Smudgie and I have hatched a plan to spend the day at the Kelvingrove Museum, possibly with a picnic in the park for lunch if the weather's good, if not we'll find a suitable cafe. As for the evening, I may or may not have to be at a meeting back east, but won't know till Sunday. If I don't the sczlet and I will be up for some food as long as it's not too late, and scz may be persuaded to join us. But the rest of you should make plans and if we manage to join you we will.
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Slight change of plan due to idiocy [Hot and Hormonal]

Instead of arriving at Glasgow by train from my brother's, we will now be arriving at the museum itself by car from Hexham. We will be aiming to get there as the museum opens so that we have chance to grab a breakfast in the cafe there and relax a bit before meeting up with people.

Is there a good meeting place at the museum? Should we suggest meeting together at 11?

Dafyd, Cattyish, Kingsfold, we will need to see whether any of you (or anyone else, for that matter) is able to join us at any point through the day. If any of those possibles are becoming probables, is it best to exchange mobile numbers?

The Smudgelet and I are getting excited now!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I don't know how much they'll have cleared up by the weekend. But, at present the main car park for the museum is closed, as is the road through the park where there is also often plenty of parking. Something to do with bowls on the green next to the museum, some little sporting occasion that has just finished.

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Website says "We expect that both the car park and Kelvin Way will be re-opened as usual from mid-August, and we will keep you informed. We apologize for any inconvenience caused. " Who knows when mid-August will be.

Smudgie I'm laughing at you! We'll see you at the museum at 11ish.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I have to go down that way later to day so will check out what's happening with the roads. Will try & remember to check the museum, but can't promise that (doing a bit scatty at mo).

WRT to Monday, work hours are not yet sorted (yes, it can and does change on a week by week basis at the moment) however I have Derf's mobile number so can get in touch on the day if needs be. My suspicion based on recent experience is that there's a fair chance I'll be starting early or I'll have some TOIL to take back.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

OK our survey says Kelvin Way is still closed. Judging by the number of plant vehicles and fencing still about, I would say it may well stay that way for a while. All the extra stuff they brought in for the games is still there, and they won't open the road until that's all clear.

Sauchiehall St is one way from the bottom of roughly Gray St to where it meets Argyll St, and is for traffic coming out of the city. Traffic going into town is diverted up Argyll St and then back up to Sauchiehall St again around Gray St-ish.

The Kelvingrove Museum carpark can allegedly be accessed from the Dumbarton Rd/Argyll St, and and this alternative entrance is opposite the Kelvin Hall arena.

They also suggest Bunhouse as an alternative car park. It's accessed from Bunhouse St, which is down the side of the Kelvin Hall arena, by the river (where the old transport museum was, if you're familiar with the area... Derf). I think if I were driving in, this is the one I'd go for as it's long stay. Mind you it could get full of folk parking for the Western or Yorkhill Hospitals, but it's worth a look.

[ 07. August 2014, 07:59: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So I think the earliest I can get to Kelvingrove is about quarter past five. Is that going to fit with anybody's plans, or will people all be wanting to head home by then?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Dafyd, it's all a bit vague still at the moment as a lot depends on whether Derf is able to stay on or not, and whether Kingsfold is meeting us. I'm happy to stay or to go, though I suspect we might not still be at the Kelvingrove that late. We won't be THAT far afield, though. I will PM you my mobile number and hopefully we can meet up for an early bite to eat or something.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

I'll know for sure tomorrow. It's a case of negotiating who is taking the early start next week. I'll offer to split the week as that should enable both of us to have some time to do the things we should be doing, and would mean I can wangle Monday without using leave. Fingers crossed...
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Sorry for being the cause of much vagueness. If you organise dinner we'll join you if we can [Smile] Or even if you don't organise it but fall into it.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
Or even if you don't organise it but fall into it.

Please don't actually fall into the dinner, it would be messy.
Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Negotiations concluded, and I can join you. Yay!

I imagine I'll arrive at the Kelvingrove some around 12:30 - 13:00. I have Derf's mobile number so can ring if I can't locate you. That kind of sounds about lunchtime, so do I need to be organised enough to bring picnic-y stuff or is it a case of make it up as we go along?

This also means I can't really do anything evening-wise as I'm doing early Mon & Tues & need to sleep.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Picnic I think will depend on the weather. The sczlet will be very happy if we manage one, but won't know she's missing out if we don't. We can always consult by text...
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

PS Yay that we'll see Kingsfold [Yipee]
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

OK, so I now know I will need to be back east for a meeting tomorrow night which is a pain. Sorry.

And I'm guessing given the current weather that picnicking tomorrow isn't going to be a great plan so shall we assume we'll get lunch in a cafe somewhere? There's one in the museum and several more over the road including Beanscene and Mother India's cafe. Kingsfold may well be our best source of local info on such things.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I think I'm not able to make it I'm afraid. We've got some travel plans to sort out and the people who were organising have had to drop out. Sorry to miss people.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Dafyd. it was a shame not to see you, but it was really lovely to see Derf and Kingsfold and the sczlet. The Smudgelet had great fun playing on the swing! Maybe not as educational as the museum but certainly an education!

It's rather nice being here in Scotland again .. even if it is frrrreeeeeeeeeezing!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

You'll have to have a word with the Smudgelet about that given we've established that he controls the weather [Biased] Was lovely to see you all.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016