homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Why did the disciples cross the lake?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why did the disciples cross the lake?
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To get to the other side

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+14%3A22-36&version=NRSV

Only Mark says that Jesus wanted them to go to Bethesda which was on the Gentile side of the lake.

However, they did not quite make it, landing at Gennesaret, which is close to Bethesda; but it is still on the Jewish side of the lake.

Obviously, when the Gentiles started to convert to Christianity; it caused some stormy seas for the church. But to land at Gennesaret suggest the church did not quite make the transition at the time of Mark or Matthew's writing.

More latter.

One last observation. What happens to Peter (the Rock) when he takes his eyes off Jesus? He begins to sink like--well, you know.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:

One last observation. What happens to Peter (the Rock) when he takes his eyes off Jesus? He begins to sink like--well, you know.

I like this. 'Rock' is a polysemous metaphor, capable of various meanings. Peter has no choice but to be rock (that's Jesus' omnipotence), but he retains the freedom to choose how he will be rock (we are free to respond or not to God's grace).

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thing of it is, Peter is not officially named Peter, the Rock, until two chapters later.
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the order in which things happen in the Gospels is not always chronological.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Thing of it is, Peter is not officially named Peter, the Rock, until two chapters later.

I thought of that after posting. In fact, the sequence is rather important. In this sea episode, the disciples as a whole will name Jesus as Son of God. It's Peter, later, who will actively remember this identification and add to it "Messiah." It's this that leads to Jesus' "Rock" statement.

If it was intended by Matthew, it's a connection you can only spot at your second reading (unless he's expecting readers to know the rock story before reading). I think Matthew would expect his work to get more than one reading, though, so that doesn't take away from it.

[ 02. August 2014, 03:04: Message edited by: Hart ]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When looking at stories which appear in more than one gospel, I always think it is important to pay attention to significant differences. What does one gospel leave out? What is unique to one gospel? In this case, it is only Matthew who adds to the story of Jesus walking on water:

a) Peter's attempt to imitate Jesus
b) The disciples' declaration of faith "you are the Son of God"

And I find it interesting that nowhere else in the Synoptic gospels do the disciples make this declaration. I think this points to the importance of the walking on water for Matthew's community. Quite why this is so important is another knotty question.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve always been puzzled by the declaration that Jesus is the Son of God/Messiah/Christ and when it occurs in the Gospel. Hadn’t noticed before that there are difficulties with The Rock as well.

John in his first chapter has Andrew telling Simon that Jesus is the Son of God, explaining this as meaning the Messiah, and also Jesus calling Simon, The Rock. John 1:40-42NRSV Now I know that there are a number of chronological differences between John and the synoptics, but this is fairly central, From the start Jesus has a Messiah movement. It isn’t that they follow a Rabbi and have it revealed to them that this Rabbi is the Messiah a la Mark.

Philip and Nathanael also have no difficulty in identifying Jesus as Prophet, Son of God and King John 1:49 NRSV.

Don't know what it means though.

Puzzled.

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Something I am teasing out.

Matthew says Jesus compelled his disciples to get in the boat. Actually, more than compelled, more like forced.

So the disciples find themselves in the middle of the storm. The struggle with the storm all night.
I wonder what was going through their minds during that storm.

Thank you, Jesus, for getting us in this pickle.

Where are you, Jesus, when we really need you?

They must have been near exhaustion when they see this adoration approaching.

I also find it interesting John does not mention Peter walking on the water.

However, in John 21 after fishing all night, when Peter realizes Jesus is on shore, he girds himself and swims to shore.

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

So, after having read around this passage quite a bit this week, it seems the commentators are pretty split. Which of the following the you find more compelling:

1) Peter displays genuine faith in wanting to go to Jesus, to be as close to him as possible, but displays lack of faith (making him one of 'little-faith') in two ways: a) leaving the boat (=Church) to be close to Jesus; b) asking for a miraculous power for himself to get there, unlike Christ himself in the temptation who does not "put God to the test" by asking for extraneous miracles.

2) Peter displays genuine faith in wanting to go to Jesus, to be as close to him as possible, in wanting to imitate him, and in trusting him to grant an 'impossible' request, but displays lack of faith (and hence has 'little faith') in losing his trust and looking at the water rather than at his Lord.

Either way, I would say the major point of this passage is not in what Peter does, but in what Jesus does: revealing himself as Son of God by saving people.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

I favor point 2 in that it is easier to preach, but I agree the story is about the theophany of Jesus, not Peter's faith issues.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Either way, I would say the major point of this passage is not in what Peter does, but in what Jesus does: revealing himself as Son of God by saving people.

Yes.

Our deacon used a gentle tone of voice when reading Jesus' statement "Oh you of little faith!" and it occurred to me that Jesus may well have been chuckling at this point, and half-teasing, half-chiding Peter softly in that way you do with children, when you pull them back to their feet after they've hurt themselves doing something stupid.

(In his sermon, the deacon also suggested that there was a line edited out of the text at an early date -- the line where the disciples yelled at Peter "Don't be an idiot! Get back in the boat! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

How often have I heard that "Don't be an idiot, get back in the boat" line before--in so many words. Along the lines of "We have never done it that way before."

Last thing the church wants to do in times of trouble is to step out in faith.

Good point.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Our deacon used a gentle tone of voice when reading Jesus' statement "Oh you of little faith!"

Yes - I tried something similar yesterday morning.

However, that phrase appears frequently in Matthew, like a refrain.

Oligopistoi

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

There are a number of stories where Jesus is impressed by people of great faith--the centurion who asks Jesus to heal his boy slave, and the woman who asks Jesus to heal her daughter. Also the woman with the blood issue come to mind. See the new thread "Connections."

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016