homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Poems to woo women

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Poems to woo women
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is inspired by a Robin Williams line from the movie 'Dead Poets Society'.

This is a movie I used to teach a lot to year 12 students (16ish). He says it at one point in a discussion with his class about the purpose of poetry. Most poetry is written with the express purpose of wooing women.

So, Is he right? Interesting then I suppose to guess at the motive of female poets...

The point though is that most poets are inspired by a desire or infatuation of some kind. Shakespeare's sonnets for instance were predominantly written in praise of a young man, the earl of Southhampton.

It is certainly true that one is more likely to break out in verse when one is in love.

So the basic proposition for discussion is whether poetry is mainly the language of love and as a corollary what are peoples favourite love poems?

I must confess to a great fondness for Sonnet 18, "Shall I compare thee to a summers day" etc.

I also confess to getting rather a shock when I realised Shakespeare had addressed it to a bloke.

However there was such a thing as the poetry of patronage. Shakespeare may well have been hired as John Donne was to write poetry in honour of some rich dude's kid's birthday. Anyhow, Any comments?

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He didn't say poetry was invented to woo women, but language. Which is, of course, ridiculous.

Helluva good movie though.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Rose Family

The rose is a rose,
And was always a rose.
But the theory now goes
That the apple's a rose,
And the pear is, and so's
The plum, I suppose.
The dear only knows
What will next prove a rose.
You, of course, are a rose--
But were always a rose.

--Robert Frost

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quoting Williams was done in total ignorance of his recent death. RIP. [Votive]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing on the Robin Williams theme, I'm not sure the Walt Whitman poem O Captain! My Captain! is written to woo, but to mourn and commemorate, and I can think of other poetry in similar brackets - much of the WW1 poetry, for example.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First of all, of course, it was necessary to invent Love, before you could have love poetry. In Europe, I don't think that happened until the Troubadors. Before that the main job of poetry was to give undying fame to the deeds of heroes.

Also, i get the impression - from Jacques' speech in As You Like It -

... And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow...

that love poetry was something a gentlemen was expected to be able to do, like riding or fencing, but it wasn't what he was. A point expanded by Byron (wouldn't you know it) -

Man’s love is of man’s life a thing apart,
’Tis woman’s whole existence; man may range
The court, camp, church, the vessel, and the mart;
Sword, gown, gain, glory, offer in exchange
Pride, fame, ambition, to fill up his heart,
And few there are whom these cannot estrange;
Men have all these resources, we but one,
To love again, and be again undone.

Lines written in a female persona, by a male poet - so a hegemonic view rather than necessarily an accurate one.

The quote alluded to therefore seems to me a dilution of this. Poetry is what we men (active) do to influence women (passive). A narrow, biased and trivial view, dependent on ignoring all poetry about heroes, quests, wars, God, nature, life, death, philosophy, loss, grief, politics and botany (this list is not exhaustive).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The court of Elizabeth I had courtiers writing poetry to Her Majesty. Sir Walter Raleigh wrote a whole series and there is on record a response to Raleigh's False Love from Sir Thomas Heneage, who was the vice-chamberlain to QEI (and whose accounts* provides one of the pieces of evidence to the existence of Shakespeare as playwright himself). Which seems to suggest that love poetry was almost a competitive sport.

* Those particular accounts were cobbled together to account for monies spent on behalf of the Queen after Heneage's death by his widow, the previous Countess of Southampton, mother of the Earl of Southampton, and are used by Shakespeare conspiracy theorists to "prove" foul play. And for a long time A Midsummer Night's Dream was said to be written for the marriage of the Countess of Southampton and Thomas Heneage, but from some research done by Norah Carlin recently that seems very unlikely.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather envy the woman wooed by John Donne in The Flea.

He's appealing to her wit and intelligence; there's no mention of her appearance. She seems perfectly capable of bantering back "yet though triumph'st" and it conjures up an image of a couple both enjoying the verbal sparring to and fro, with the extra frisson of the subject matter.

I'm fairly sure she tells him to dream on - she's not about to succumb lightly, but they'll meet again on good terms and ....who knows?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked the Ginsberg line about Walt Whitman fancying the grocery boys in the local supermarket: 'Who killed the pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel?'

It also has the wonderful line, not to do with wooing:

'What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families
shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the
avocados, babies in the tomatoes!'

('A Supermarket in California').

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would make a great sig.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May we mention poems to woo men here too? Three of my favorites are Robert Burns' John Anderson My Jo, Anne Bradstreet's To My Dear and Loving Husband, and of course Dorothy Parker's One Perfect Rose.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016