homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » accomodation needed - in Canberra!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: accomodation needed - in Canberra!
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but our nephew and his girlfriend need accomodation near Canberra from June/July. Can anyone help or recommend anything?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but our nephew and his girlfriend need accomodation near Canberra from June/July. Can anyone help or recommend anything?

St Gwladys, nothing is actually near Canberra. That's the point of the place.

Can you give a few more details, e.g. length of stay, will they have a car etc.

They could always try the police academy barracks at Goulburn. After all, that's where our current Prime Minister lives when he's in down that way, leaving a perfectly good, leased house empty running up the rent bills. [Ultra confused]

I'm in Sydney, three hours drive away and feeling cynical this morning. We do have shippies in Canberra and its surrounds who would be of more use than I am.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly more helpful than my previous cynical post... Because Canberra has many museums, libraries, etc, it's a tourist attraction for Aussies as well as overseas visitors. That means lots of hotels and serviced apartments.

The place is crowded in school holidays which are June/July and September/October as well as December to February. Big exhibitions from overseas at the National Gallery also draw crowds. Booking essential for both exhibitions and accommodation.

What sort of money do they think they will spend?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toby - that's Darllenwr's nephew - has mentioned around $200 per week including bills - I don't know whether that's a lot or a little. He'll be working near ANU - here is his FB post:

"Hi,
I am looking for accommodation for a professional couple in Canberra. I will be working near ANU, so anywhere around there will be preferable, but I am open to try anywhere. I am from England and I am not sure exactly when I am arriving as the visa is processing, but it should be around the end of June or July. If anyone thinks they will be renting a room at $200 or less a week at around this time (bills included) then please let me know and we can have a chat.

Thanks,

Toby and Sky"

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lord Pontivillian
Shipmate
# 14308

- Posted      Profile for Lord Pontivillian   Author's homepage   Email Lord Pontivillian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toby (my cousin) has also said in a private message that he has been offered a year contract.

--------------------
The Church in Wales is Ancient, Catholic and Deformed - Typo found in old catechism.

Posts: 665 | From: Horsham | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

have sent you a PM

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that at least 1 of the halls of residence has attached accommodation for post-graduate students - instead of a single room/share facilities for undergraduates, there are one-bedroomed flats. They are scarce and I don't know if your nephew would qualify.

You talk of renting a room. That is not really done here. There are share houses where a group about the same age rents a whole house and come to some arrangement about housework and so forth. They are common but you need to know people to get into a group.

The Kingston/Manuka area on the southern shores of the lake has a lot of accommodation for tourists. Called serviced apartments, these are fully furnished and equipped flats of 1 to 4 bedrooms with bathrooms to match, with kitchens and laundries, let out at daily rates starting at around the $240 mark. I usually stay in one when I go to Canberra to work - as I did last week. Some of these are let on longer term at much reduced rates - and in return you have to do your own housework, wash your own linen etc. There is similar accommodation in the Inner North, which is a closer to the ANU. A 20 minute drive sees you in Queanbeyan, a town in NSW, and rents are much cheaper there. OTOH, there would be little furnished accommodation.

Canberra is not a large city and even the farthest-flung suburbs are only a short drive. Peak hour traffic is minimal, a result of the small population and the planned nature of the city. Public transport is limited to buses. A car is not absolutely essential, but it would be hard to live without one. Apart from anything else, I imagine that they will want to do a bit of sightseeing and touring while they are here. Rail transport outside the state capitals is sparse, with only 3 or 4 trains each way daily Sydney/Canberra for example, and travel to Melbourne by train is unrealistic.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serviced apartments are plentiful in Canberra, but go for ~$200 per night (not per week), though longer stays go at substantial discounts.

Before we resumed residence in Canberra, we normally stayed at the Parkside Apartments in Dickson (an inner north suburb, and a 10 minute bile ride from ANU).

ANU has its own accommodation advice service, which though mainly for students may be helpful. Check them on the web.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
...and a 10 minute bile ride from ANU...

Some typos are just too perfect!

Sorry to interrupt - carry on.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid that, despite living near and working in Canberra, I don't have much to offer, having no experience of looking for accommodation there.

Looking from outside, the best bet is probably The All Homes website, which has standalone rental listings as well as share houses. Gee D referred to share houses as being organised by a group, but I do see adverts for share house vacancies quite regularly on the ACT Queer list that I subscribe to. My recollection is that furnishing arrangements vary, with fully-furnished being rare. Beds are frequently provided, and newer homes in particular will have built-in wardrobes (referred to as built-in "robes" or simply built-ins").

There are places where you can pick up essential furniture items quite cheaply. We don't have our promised IKEA yet, but there is Fantastic Furniture for flat pack package deals; we have done the furnishing part of settling in.

My church is building student accommodation at the moment, but it's intended for singles and won't be ready until year end.

We could be in a position to provide short-term accommodation on arrival , to allow them to do their accommodation hunting on the ground, but we are some way out of Canberra and car transport is essential.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016