homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What makes an (Anglican) Sung Eucharist "Sung"?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What makes an (Anglican) Sung Eucharist "Sung"?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that some Anglican parishes use the term "Sung Eucharist" merely to distinguish a eucharist service with any music from one with no music (ie, a Said Eucharist). However, the local parish has talked about going from the current way of doing things at the main Sunday service, where there are hymns and the gloria, sanctus, even the Lord's Prayer, etc., are sung by choir and congregation with the occasional extra anthem by the choir to a "Sung Eucharist." At the very least this seems to entail having the celebrant and congregation chant to opening dialogue of the Eucharistic Prayer, and perhaps having the Celebrant chant the entire Eucharistic Prayer with a song memorial acclamation and great Amen. Is this all that a Sung Eucharist is? What definitions of "Sung Eucharist" do your congregations go by. What is the textbook definition, if there is one?

What other parts of the service do you include in what is necessary to make the Eucharist "Sung"? The collect and other presiding prayers? The readings and Gospel? The psalm? The prayers of the faithful? The confession? Everything except the sermon and announcements?

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would more or less expect the use of a mass setting - so Gloria/Kyrie, Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei sung at least, with the various responses for the readings and the start of the Eucharistic prayer, and the Lord's Prayer and Creed as optional extras.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would usually expect a Sung Eucharist to have a congregational Mass setting. Where hymns are sung but there is no musical setting it would normally (IME) be referred to as "Eucharist with hymns".

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But at this parish there already was a sung Mass setting and hymns (ok, the creed wasn't sung). Now they say they are going to have a "Sung Eucharist" and at least one of the changes will be a sung opening dialogue to the Eucharistic Prayer. I don't know what all else they plan to have sung. What else do you think is included in this particular meaning of "Sung Eucharist"?
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I do a sung Eucharist the following parts are sung :

1. Minor propers
2. Collect & post-communion prayers
3. The ordinary (incl. Creed & Lord's Prayer)
4. The Gospel
5. Sursum corda & Preface
6. Conclusions of the Prayer for the Whole State of Christ's Church & the Canon
7. Embolism & Pax
8. Dismissal

I think that's everything.

I have recently acquired a book which sets the entirety of the 1928 BCP Holy Communion to music, including the General Confession (in 4-part harmony!). It would be really interesting to put together a service based on the setting, although I'm afraid the effect would be a little goofy.

[ 20. June 2014, 22:26: Message edited by: Fr Weber ]

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
But at this parish there already was a sung Mass setting and hymns (ok, the creed wasn't sung). Now they say they are going to have a "Sung Eucharist" and at least one of the changes will be a sung opening dialogue to the Eucharistic Prayer. I don't know what all else they plan to have sung. What else do you think is included in this particular meaning of "Sung Eucharist"?

I would expect at minimum the collects,the lord's prayer, the postcommunion, and the blessing/dismissal to be added to these. Maybe the epistle and gospel in very advanced places.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This question wants Fortescue.

In The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described, 1958, 10th ed., there are roughly these forms of the mass:
  1. Low Mass
  2. High Mass
  3. Sung Mass (Missa Cantata) and
  4. High Masses with a bishop parked in various places

The Missa Cantata is of two forms, "simpler" (similar to Low Mass) and "more solemn" (similar to Solemn Mass) both with a choir to sing the ordinary of the mass (which seems to be at the root of opening post's question). Both forms lack a deacon and subdeacon.

The simpler form requires one or two acolytes, with a low mass ceremonial adapted for the presence of a choir. The more solemn form will take as many acolytes as the parish can field (MC, acolytes, thurifer, and torchbearers) and uses a high mass ceremonial adapted to the absence of deacon and subdeacon.

At Our Lady of Hardwork, we default to a Sung Mass whenever we lack a deacon (or a priest willing to play at being deacon of the mass).

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My local parish changed the description of their main service from Parish Communion to Sung Eucharist a couple of years ago.

The Parish Communion had rotating congregational mass settings and 6 hymns and the dialogue parts were sung at Sursum Cords and Alleluia. After it changed additionally the Collect and post communion prayers were sung, as well as the complete EP preface and the dismissal.

Some churches also use the term Choral Eucharist where the mass setting is sung by the choir as opposed to congregationally.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Edgeman:
quote:

I would expect at minimum the collects,the lord's prayer, the postcommunion, and the blessing/dismissal to be added to these. Maybe the epistle and gospel in very advanced places.
Interesting. I've experienced Gospel sung but not Post Communion & Blessing/Dismissal.

To me Sung Eucharist would probably be mass setting as mininmum, but possibly sursum corda and proper preface. But it depends a bit on parish context.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours at the moment could often be described as "Sung Eucharist with Missing Bits"

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some lists of types of Masses regard "sung" as having to do with whether the celebrant sings or not, not whether there's a choir or hymns. The older books specify that the celebrant "sings his part," meaning especially the collect/secret/postcommunion, and the Sursum Corda and proper preface minimally. And usually a lot of other things (the intro to the Lord's Prayer; the blessing and dismissal, etc.).
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am fairly sure that, original, 'sung ' referred to the priest's parts. There used to be altar books with notation for this - one had everything from the Lord's prayer through to the final blessing.

More commonly, the collect, gospel and sursum corda were usually sung.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Anglican Church of Melanesia, until recent years, almost everything was sung, including the Collect for Purity, post-Communion and sometimes even the confession.

In more recent years, it has been urged in many places just to "say reverently" the Collect for Purity, Creed, Our Father, post-communion and other bits formerly sung, such as the responses to the Intercessions and the dismissal and blessing used to be always sung.

In TEC, I have only very rarely seen the Creed sung and never the Collect for Purity.

Usually,
the (Kyrie and) Gloria
Collect of the Day
Psalm (sometimes)
Sanctus
rarely, the Lord's Prayer
rarely, fraction anthems other than Agnus dei
Never in TEC the post-Communion (just my experience, yours may have sung since 1892).

Never seen the dismissal sung, though frequently the double alleluia never leaves the mouths of many a congregation, even in Lent.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, in Māori culture (or in the tikanga Māori of the Anglican church in Aotearoa) much of the liturgy is chanted, but in fact that stems from a snake-bely low ecclesiology of the 19th century and was if I understand correctly simply a ploy to make the liturgical language more accessible to native Māori speakers in the nineteenth century.

Ironically that is not dissimilar to the genesis of sung priesty bits but that's another story.

It would certainly be horrified historically to have heard itself described as "sung eucharist" etc. ... more "Commemoration of the Lord's Supper With Real Absence" if you get my drift.

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sung Masses in my experience tend to have the following Sung:
-> The Mass Setting (Kyrie, Gloria, Agnus Dei)
-> The Sursum Corda and the Preface
-> The Lord's Prayer

The following are optional:
--> The Collect of the Day
--> The Creed
--> The Prayer of Consecration

*Incidentally, in one liturgical manual designed to complement the modern language BAS in Canada (Holeton's "Let Us Give Thanks"), the authors advise either singing the entire Great Thanksgiving Prayer or saying the Prayer entirely. The authors advise against singing the Preface and saying the Consecration because in their view, it violates the unity of the Great Thanksgiving as a single, complete, prayer.

This advice has never been followed except in a handful of places that I've been to.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

*Incidentally, in one liturgical manual designed to complement the modern language BAS in Canada (Holeton's "Let Us Give Thanks"), the authors advise either singing the entire Great Thanksgiving Prayer or saying the Prayer entirely. The authors advise against singing the Preface and saying the Consecration because in their view, it violates the unity of the Great Thanksgiving as a single, complete, prayer.

This advice has never been followed except in a handful of places that I've been to.

I've seen this stated in various places but like you, nobody seems to pay it any heed. I don't really see the problem myself...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're all missing the most obvious thing that makes a eucharist 'sung': that the gospel is intoned!

I was taught that for a eucharist to be regarded as sung then it meant that those parts of the service that could only be performed by the priestly celebrant were intoned, sung or chanted.

So even if you have a Mozart mass with orchestra, if the celebrant don't intone preface and gospel its not really a 'sung' eucharist.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree mostly except that the gospel is to be intoned by a deacon, should one be present.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our practice is to sing (congregationally) the Kyries, Gloria, Gospel Alleluia, Sanctus, Benedictus and Agnus Dei. During Eastertide, we also sing the Regina Coeli.

Father Priest-in-charge has recently started to sing the Sursum Corda (though he hasn't quite got it right - yet). Father Visiting-Priest usually also sings the Collect and the Proper Preface, and(if it's a short one) the Gospel itself.

TBH, with 4 hymns, that's quite enough music for a small congregation with no choir - IMHO!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Sung Masses in my experience tend to have the following Sung:
-> The Mass Setting (Kyrie, Gloria, Agnus Dei)
-> The Sursum Corda and the Preface
-> The Lord's Prayer

The following are optional:
--> The Collect of the Day
--> The Creed
--> The Prayer of Consecration

In the church I currently attend, everything in the first list is sung except the Lord's Prayer and the Collect of the Day is also sung.

It is, however, one of the few churches I have attended where the congregation remains in the same posture throughout the Eucharistic Prayer at the main Sunday service, which is encouraged in Common Worship for the same reason as above. So possibly that counteracts the effect of singing the Preface and then switching to speech...

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just so. Our people drop to their knees (or the Shampoo Position) after the Sanctus and Benedictus, thus missing out on seeing the Consecration etc., despite the ringing of bells.

Of course, prior to the Reformation, that's when they would have paid greatest attention, probably raising their arms in the orans gesture, to welcome Our Lord In The Most Holy Sacrament Of The Altar. [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Just so. Our people drop to their knees (or the Shampoo Position) after the Sanctus and Benedictus, thus missing out on seeing the Consecration etc., despite the ringing of bells.

Of course, prior to the Reformation, that's when they would have paid greatest attention, probably raising their arms in the orans gesture, to welcome Our Lord In The Most Holy Sacrament Of The Altar. [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

Why can't they see the consecration while they are kneeling?

Did laypeople raise their hands in the orans position during the major elevations in the Middle Ages? If so, that would be very interesting, since it seems to be a practice that conservative RC bishops are trying to discourage now, saying that in the Eucharistic celebration (though perhaps not elsewhere), the orans is exclusive to ordained ministers.

Jude
Shipmate
# 3033

- Posted      Profile for Jude   Email Jude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It really depends on what sort of Church you're at. In the town where I live, the uaual Sunday morning service in at least two of the Anglican churches is counted as being sung, that is, the Kyrie/Gloria, Gospel intro and ending, Sanctus & Benedictus and other interludes in the Eucharistic prayer, Agnus Dei are sung (all in English). At one of them, the Lord's prayer is also sung, and the Sursum Corda if the president can sing reasonably well.

I used to attend a church, a Cathedral, where sung Eucharist included sung creed and sung Eucharistic prayer, at least for the first part. There was also an anthem sung by the choir.

On the other hand, I would think that "said Communion" means exactly that, with no music at all, no hymns or anything, but perhaps a said psalm.

--------------------
"...But I always want to know the things one shouldn’t do.”
“So as to do them?” asked her aunt.
“So as to choose,” said Isabel.
Henry James - The Portrait of A Lady

Posts: 233 | From: A town with four parishes | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The key presidential parts sung defines it - whether or not any congregational singing.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jude:
In the town where I live, the usual Sunday morning service in at least two of the Anglican churches is counted as being sung, that is, the Kyrie/Gloria, …, Sanctus & Benedictus …, Agnus Dei are sung.

My post earlier in this thread wasn't clear. As I've edited, Jude has got it right: If there a choir to sing the Ordinary of the mass, then it's a sung mass. If the congregation function as the choir, then it's a sung mass.
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

quote:
[C]onservative RC bishops are trying to discourage now, saying that in the Eucharistic celebration (though perhaps not elsewhere), the orans is exclusive to ordained ministers.

For fuck sake, this is stupid beyond belief. A simple images.google for Mary orans will show why.
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

I wonder what it would be if I sang the sermon ...

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Baptist.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to a few musical referees here, a Eucharist in which the versicles/responses, sanctus, bendictus, sursum corda etc. are sung by the congregation is called a Sung Eucharist; when a choir sings a Mass setting then it is to be called a Choral Eucharist. Therefore our normal Sunday observance is called a Sung Eucharist - and yes, we do also have 4 hymns.

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

Baptist.
I like that.

We do a Choral Eucharist at 10 on Sundays 1, 3 and 5. The main choir sings, we have 4 hymns and a setting of the ordinary of the Mass (except the Creed, which is said) is sung by both choir and congregation. The choir chants the psalm, and the Gospel acclamation. The collect for the day, the preface and the concluding section of the Great Thanksgiving are chanted by the celebrant. The sursum corda is chanted versicle/response by celebrant and congregation, and the Lord's Prayer chanted by both. The choir will sing a communion motet or 2.

For Sung Eucharists, on Sundays 2 and 4, we have the same pattern, without the main choir. Sometimes we have the children's choir, which will sing a communion motet. Usually there is a different Mass setting, the psalm is said in response, and the Gospel acclamation is said.

In Eastertide, there is a chanted versicle/response introit and the same for the dismissal.

The 7 am Eucharist is entirely said. At 8, there are 3 hymns but the service is otherwise said. At special festivals, there may be a more elaborate Mass setting sung by the choir alone, in either Latin or English. For a recent Patronal Festival, the choir sang the first section of the Vivaldi Gloria in D, RV 289.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016