homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How often do you read poetry, and what kind?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: How often do you read poetry, and what kind?
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit that I don't read poetry every day. There have been times in my life when I read a bit more of it, I guess it comes and goes in waves.

When I do read poetry, I usually prefer the abstract kind, where words aren't used as 1:1 metaphors, but rather collaborate to convey emotions on a subconscious level. There are a number of Latin American poets who do this.

When reading poetry, I usually stick to one poem a day, before sleeping. I'm also adamant in that I never drink beer while reading poetry. A good wine or whisky are much better options.

Do you read poetry often? How do you read it? And what kind?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Opportune thread, LeRoc. I came across this poem by Carol Ann Duffy while looking for something else, as you do. Recommended if you feel the need of a slight cry.

That is probably my favoured way of reading at the moment - coming upon things, clicking random links - both to stuff I know and stuff I don't. That being so, I am not preferring any one style - except that I regularly read poetry in Scots: This is one of my favourite sites.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not as often as I should, and I don't listen to it much, because I find the special voice for reading poetry irritating.

I do hope I didn't do that to the children at school when I read them Allan Ahlberg.

The Mrs Butler Blues

Actually, I used to sing that one. They've split the verses wrongly.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading poetry's not a daily habit. It tends to be triggered off by coming across a random quote, looking it up, and finding a variety of other poems.

It can happen in odd places. The Poems on the Underground, printed clearly and slotted in between the ads on the upper wall of a Tube carriage, have been a welcome diversion and introduction to new verses. But a line or so in a book, or a quote printed on someone's shopping bag, or perhaps a half-remembered line will send me to the internet or to books.

And sometimes, you know, you just need a bit of Yeats before dinner, or a chunk of Eliot if you're out of sorts, maybe a few bits of Kipling in the afternoon or a piece of MacNeice to chew over and extract the meaning and the imagery from.

A good poem is one that stops you in your tracks and makes you think, or smile, and sends you on your way, having made you see things a little differently for a moment. It's one whose lines will echo in your mind at intervals throughout the years, popping up at odd, appropriate moments; one that keeps you company, and over the years becomes an old, familiar friend.

Though what makes a good poem is different for everybody.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016