homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I'm nearly 60... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I'm nearly 60...
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 60th birthday is fast approaching and I feel very depressed about it. Part of me wants to just ignore it and treat it as just another day – which of course it is. Part of me feels it's a significant landmark and I would like to mark it in some way. And yet again, part of me feels a sense of horror and despair that I've reached this age without doing anything worthwhile with my life.

So I was just wondering… could anyone suggest how I might cope with what I expect to be a difficult and lonely day – and possibly turn it into something special. Taking into account that I haven't got any family to celebrate with (all I've got now are two cousins I only see at funerals) and haven't really got any friends. A few people at church know it's my birthday (and I think they know how old I am) My work colleagues apparently don't. I have an old school friend who definitely knows, but she doesn't really 'do' birthdays. I have a friend living at the other end of the country who I can rely on to send me a card and possibly phone – but that's it.

I won't be at work – I've booked a week's leave, with vague ideas of doing something 'nice', going out somewhere for the day. But whereas I could go out for the day by myself when I was younger, these days it all feels a bit pointless. But I don’t want to spend the day loafing around at home feeling depressed and unable to get myself into the right frame of mind for doing anything, as has happened on past birthdays.

Any suggestions gratefully received (even if it's "pull yourself together and stop feeling sorry for yourself") [Frown]

Thank you

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suggest a ship meet.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you'd like to spend a day touring the beautiful Jurassic Coast and countryside of Dorset, I would clear my day for you and show you round.

I wish you a very happy birthday when it comes, whatever you end up doing.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The day before, buy some flowers which have a really good scent, get up with that in the morning. Eat your very favorite breakfast. Mushrooms and egg on toast? Leftover curry? Whatever you love. Buy some really good coffee/ tea/ juice and go out somewhere, even if just to breathe the fresh air. If you can go somewhere beautifully peaceful and maybe listen to some amazing music that would be ideal (Pluscarden Abbey is my favourite secret getaway). Get a show, film, concert or guided tour booked for the evening. Dress comfortably, in something you feel happy wearing. Get a facial or a massage. Walk in sand barefoot, so long as it's clean sand! Go to bed with a notebook and write down one good thing you did.

I hope you have an encouraging day and find one good thing to say about it. I bet you can find more than one though.

Cattyish, wishing you a very happy birthday and a very worthwhile year to come.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
I won't be at work – I've booked a week's leave, with vague ideas of doing something 'nice', going out somewhere for the day. But whereas I could go out for the day by myself when I was younger, these days it all feels a bit pointless.

Slightly less pointless if you go out for the day knowing you're going to meet some people and have that to look forward to. There could be some shipmates up for lunch, or for dinner/a shipmeet in the evening. It could be in London or it could be in a place you haven't been to before. The London shipmates seem like a friendly lot; moonlitdoor's idea of a ship meet sounds like a good one.

Maybe decide to try one new, different thing a day in your birthday week - something you don't normally do? They could be quite simple things, maybe as simple as buying yourself a bunch of bright flowers, going out for coffee and cake, trying a new hairstyle, etc. Or you might even take the plunge and go to a ship meet. By the end of your birthday week you'd have tried seven new things, maybe made some new friends, and seen some new places.

Anyway, just an idea to consider, no worries if it doesn't appeal - but whatever you decide, I wish you all the very best for your birthday and the coming year.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I suggest a ship meet.

This is a good idea. I showed up in London and had a lovely time with people with whom my only commonality is that we all joined Ship of Fools. If I wasn't 7000 km away I would come.

Aging? Consider the mind and how you feel inside, disregarding what the calender says! 60 is not old!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd support cattyish's suggestion - except that I would spread them around the next 6 months. For the day itself, I'd recommend something like taking every item of clothing you haven't worn in at least 6 months to the charity shop. Or repainting a principle room of your house. Or researching and signing up for an immersive course/workshop in cooking or watercolours or writing or learning Spanish or Windows 8.. Or anything else that would leave you feeling every so slightly exhausted but with a sense of having Done Something. Then I'd crack open a bottle of Prosecco or Cava, order up a takeaway, and watch a video of It's a Wonderful Life. Or Truly, Madly, Deeply. Or Terry Gilliam's Munchhausen. Or any other bit of zonkingly imaginative visual art.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll pm some suggestions too. But seriously - we do do London Shipmeets regularly and as moonlitdoor has volunteered he can come too - so that's two of us! Without asking anyone else.

Have you seen we're planning a meet on Hampstead Heath on 10th August?

I've taken myself to afternoon tea at the top of Tate Modern before now - incredible view and enough to eat to be a meal. Or booked a ticket to the Globe. Last summer I was so cross I couldn't go to Greenbelt because I had to be in work on the Tuesday afterwards I booked tickets to the Globe all weekend: the three Henry IV plays back to back on the Sunday and Blue Stockings on the Saturday night.

It's time for the Proms, and the cheap tickets are £5 or £6. Or this hot, a day up at the Ladies' Pond on Hampstead Heath is fun - secluded field to sit in the sun or shade, and a pond to swim in.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... I booked tickets to the Globe all weekend: the three Henry IV plays back to back on the Sunday...

[tangent] Three Henry IVs? [/tangent]

That said, I can't imagine a more wonderful place to spend a birthday than the Globe. If only it weren't over 5000 miles away (and my birthday falls the wrong time of year).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry - inverted the V and I - three Henry VI plays.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can afford it have a day at a spa.

...or go to a gallery or a stately home or a museum.

A Shipmeet is a great idea.

Allow yourself to be silly for the day/week.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It can take a certain amount of mental energy to make yourself do something, and if you're feeling depleted and down, it can be easy not to bother, even if you know you'll enjoy it. So a shipmeet is a good idea, as you have the extra oomph provided by Not Letting People Down. Or is that just me?

And I for one feel it's time we had a London shipmeet, and Macarius & I are probably not going to make the walk (I'm thinking about timings but that is for the other thread!)

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My idea of a treat day is a morning at a gallery or museum with a specific objective in mind (the last time it was textiles) so that I have a goal to aim for and don't just wander. Then lunch at a cafe or restaurant followed by window shopping a few boutiques or antique shops. Looking at things of beauty and learning about them cheers me up. My top choice for a few days break would be Bath.
Have a good birthday.
Annie

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea of a ship meet sounds like fun, and I think that there are a lot of London shippies who might be up for a lunch? Or afternoon tea? Do it on a Monday and I'd come from Bethnei if I could ( day on a train - what's not to like!)

It all depends on what you like to do, really. If you have to spend your day on your own how about booking tea at the Ritz? Treat yourself to a really good book (try not to spill tea or splurge jam on it!) and read and drink tea, eat sandwiches and scones and cake. And someone else does the washing up.

Or book a day at a spa, and have a massage/facial/manicure to treat yourself.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but can you give yourself some money to go and buy a lovely gift that says "I matter and this world would be poorer if I was not in it". (Jewellery does it for me, YMMV...). The pleasure of looking and choosing is nice. You could treat yourself to a trip to Hatton Garden or Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter and just look around...there is a good museum in the Jewellery Quarter (and In B'ham too for that matter)

If you would trust me with your address (not your RL name) I'll gladly send you a card...

However you choose to spend your birthday, I hope that it is not as awful as you fear it might be.

St E, catching you up...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post, ....I wanted to add that if you book something (tea at the Ritz, spa day, lunch with shippies.... that commitment will get you up and out of bed, dressed and looking presentable. Otherwise you could just loaf about wasting the day and feeling even worse about it.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
If you would trust me with your address (not your RL name) I'll gladly send you a card...

Oh, me too!

Mrs. S waaaaay ahead of you!

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally ignore birthdays but 60 is a big one.

My 60th was two years ago on a Sunday.

I got to choose the first hymn and provided some claret to replace the after church coffee.

Had my three closes three friends round who cooked dinner for us.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They all sound like fabulous plans [Smile] card (again if you trust me with your address via pm!) also offered from me!

Reading what you wrote I wonder if you know what it is that is is making you feel depressed about it?
Is there any trusted pastoral support (clergy or lay worker at church maybe) who could you could talk to and maybe work through some of it? It might be the thought you have about it (but may not be aware of as you are more aware of what it then makes you feel) which are making you depressed, and it might be that if you talk about what they are, maybe look a them in different ways, your forthcoming birthday won't feel like such a bad thing.

There are good things about being 60 too. Think of the freedom pass for example!

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:

Oh, me too!
And me. Let us know the date so we can make sure they arrive in good time.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another who would love to send a card [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll send a card!

you've taken the week off. can you do something crazy like go on a holiday to some sunny resort, or attend a weekend retreat, or a short cruise?

the benefit of something like this is that they regiment your time to some extent, so it can keep you from wallowing in depression. plus you're forced to socialize in a way that everyone is feeling awkward so it's an even playing field.

for me, I'd hunt down a week long or weekend long yoga retreat. is there something like that you've always wanted to try? a spiritual retreat, a introduction to bungee jumping, a mountain climbing course, a guided backcountry hike, something?

I think that would be great fun, shake you out of your comfort zone, create great memories, and short-circuit the self-pity cycle.

or, similar to Firenze's wardrobe clean-out idea, how about a full day makeover? spa time, new hairstyle, make-up consult, and wardrobe consult? it will cost, but the fun of it is coming out the other side feeling all re-invented.

it really is okay to spend money on yourself. Birthday or not.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My next birthday is not a significant one but my Son has promised me a helicopter ride round the Pembrokeshire coast as a gift. It'll be the first birthday I will have anticipated with anything but dread since I left my thirties.

Would something like that appeal?, or perhaps a balloon ride?

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be delighted to make a card for you.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for your replies. You're a lovely lot of people!

I was feeling incredibly depressed when I posted but since then I've spent this afternoon helping at a church event, which didn't do anything to solve the birthday problem, but at least got me out into the sunshine and amongst other people and made me feel a little bit better. (I'd offered to help a couple of weeks ago and the organiser said she’d email me but by yesterday she hadn't and I assumed I wasn't wanted – however she sent an email just after I went to bed last night!)

My birthday is actually this coming Wednesday and as it looks as if the weather might stay nice I've decided to have a day at the seaside. I booked the train ticket tonight so now I can’t change my mind. Well, I can, but I won’t now I've paid for the tickets!

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Firenze – I've actually done two of the things you suggest recently – sorted out my clothes and took them to the charity shop and repainted my kitchen (and yes, it was exhausting!)

St Everild – tea at the Ritz is something I’d love to do but couldn't bring myself to do it on my own.

And everyone else – thank you for all the comments, suggestions and advice. I've read and considered them all.

And thank you those of you who offered to send cards. It doesn't feel right somehow to send you all my address but it’s such a kind thought and I really, really appreciate it.

I love the idea of a shipmeet, and have often wondered if it's something I could ever do but I find the thought very scary. I'm no good at talking to people, have never been able to make friends and I think most people think I'm a bit odd. The Hampstead walk sounds really good… perhaps if I'm brave enough I could try it. If I can summon up the courage I'll post on that thread…
[Axe murder]

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

Sorry, just to add: thank you those who sent me PMs. I've just found them. I will reply but I'm really slow with this sort of thing.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what you do, you have a shipmeet to have tea at the Ritz. I bet you will have some takers.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Tea at the Ritz starts at £47 per head - could we do a meal at the India Club instead?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not everybody's into spicy food. Is there a pub at the end of the Hampstead walk, or a tea shop or something?

Abigail - hope you thoroughly enjoy your birthday outing! I'll think of you on Wednesday and wish you well.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My birthday is actually this coming Wednesday and as it looks as if the weather might stay nice I've decided to have a day at the seaside. I booked the train ticket tonight so now I can’t change my mind. Well, I can, but I won’t now I've paid for the tickets!

attagirl!

quote:
I love the idea of a shipmeet, and have often wondered if it's something I could ever do but I find the thought very scary. I'm no good at talking to people, have never been able to make friends and I think most people think I'm a bit odd. The Hampstead walk sounds really good… perhaps if I'm brave enough I could try it. If I can summon up the courage I'll post on that thread…
[Axe murder]

I've never "met" any of our London Shipmates, but I still feel perfectly comfortable in saying that they will take you in hand, put you at ease, and show you a good time.

Yes, it's awkward. do it anyway. you'll not regret it!

besides, "a bit odd" means you'll fit right in. these are your people! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Well, I'd happily go along to tea at Tate Modern as an option, the restaurant on the 6th floor, but I am about to hit no pay for five weeks, so I'm a bit reluctant to do anything hugely expensive.

And yes, a pub meal is on the agenda for the Hampstead walk.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be happy to send a card from San Francisco.

I turned 60 a month ago. I actually had two lovely meals on the day. One friend remembered and invited me for dinner. Another I called to let her know we were having breakfast that day, and the reason. I've decided to stop waiting for people to do things like remembering my birthday. I'm having more fun this way.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I turned 60 a month ago too.
Having been in a blue funk when I was 40 and again when I was 50, this birthday was enjoyable.
Mainly because I've realised it's just a number, and it shows the world that I am still here!
Mr Bee has come through a life threatening illness, and my best friend died 12 years ago, so I now appreciate what I have.
It helped that I had afternoon tea at the Victoria Empress, and I did that because that's what I had dreamed of doing while accompanying my husband through his treatments.
Do what you dream of doing.
And a shipment would be good too.
We are all a bit odd btw.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
besides, "a bit odd" means you'll fit right in. these are your people! [Big Grin]

comet beat me to it. We're talking about shipmates here!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I've never "met" any of our London Shipmates, but I still feel perfectly comfortable in saying that they will take you in hand, put you at ease, and show you a good time.

I can confirm this -- I had a lovely time just about a year ago at a Shipmeet when I was visiting London.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday for Wednesday, Abigail,

Don't be put off by the idea of organising a London shipmeet. Just say when you want to do it and whether you prefer a pub or a walk or a restaurant or a tea shop or whatever blows your hair back (and which side of the river), and one of us will start the thread and make it happen. You just have to show up.

At any shipmeet there are always some people that some people are meeting for the first time - and it is often the guest of honour who doesn't know the Londoners, as No Prophet and Pigwidgeon have attested up-thread. We've had small informal meets with both of them in recent months.

It sounds like you've got The Big Day sorted now, with a trip to somewhere coastal - but do be assured we would love to meet you in real life when it suits you!

DV

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was recently invited to High Tea at a swank hotel for someone's 60th - just a small table of us - and it was fun to spoil ourselves a little. The surroundings provided plenty of comment from all of us and a nice photo to remember it.

You could buy a packet of seeds on your birthday, and plant out 60 of something. Whatever grows, give away when opportunity arises. Whenever you feel that you have "accomplished nothing" in your 60 years, remember that every small act of kindness makes a difference to the world.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope you have a wonderful birthday, and send you best wishes from this little corner of the Shippiverse.

Remember, 60 is the new 40! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a big decade birthday coming up and I've started a "Bucket List". I've been on a helicopter ride (over the Grand Canyon).

Now looking for a Zipline and jumping out of a plane. Also I want to go up in a balloon.

Looking forward to doing fun things is good. Age is just a number and I can say this because I am a lot older.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the useful things about shipmeets is that one can say as little or as much as one chooses.

My 60th involved no parachute jumps-- three of my exes cooked me a very nice multi-course multi-bottle lunch while the young daughter of one of them played the cello for us. Having outlived a number of relations I take the perspective that one should make more of one's birthdays, the fewer one has in front of one.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

My 60th was so low-key it was practically non-existent, but that was fine with me since my 40th was terrible and my 50th was the birthday from hell.

However... my 65th will be in a few years, and I intend to celebrate in a big way!

--------------------
~Tortuf

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abigail, hope you have a great birthday. From experience, I'd say that Shipmeets are a good way of making new friends - we've been to 4 or 5, and have become good friends in real life with some of the shipmates we've met.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
<snip>
However... my 65th will be in a few years, and I intend to celebrate in a big way!

Keep us posted!

Cattyish, loves to see pictures.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
My 60th was so low-key it was practically non-existent, but that was fine with me since my 40th was terrible and my 50th was the birthday from hell.

I doubt anyone could beat my 50th birthday though.

Does September 11th 2001 ring any bells?

Mrs. S, older than she would wish
[Biased]

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crikey, Mrs. S. - that was unfortunate. I'm reminded of someone saying on the day of Princess Diana's funeral (which was a Saturday) - "don't you feel really sorry for anyone getting married today?"

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Abigail, i can appreciate how you feel but for God's sake woman pull yourself together and go to a bloody ship meet.

You are blessed that you post something and ppl pop out and invite you out to tea. STOP wasting time and bloody go, many would be extremely envious of the opportunity. You will only have yourself to blame if you don't do something, even if it's not on your actual birthday, it'll be something to look forward to.

This is totally said in love but pull your finger out, time's a tickin. [Axe murder]

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] (Salutes Evangeline)

(But she's right-- do it.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do come on the Hampstead walk, or if you can't make that, I'm sure we can organise another shipmeet shortly. It's about time for another trip to the India Club methinks.
I was 60 last year, and decided that it would be a year of celebration. In the end I didn't do a great deal, so I've extended it to a decade of celebration instead.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Crikey, Mrs. S. - that was unfortunate. I'm reminded of someone saying on the day of Princess Diana's funeral (which was a Saturday) - "don't you feel really sorry for anyone getting married today?"

It wasn't too bad for us - at least it means we get reminded of our significant anniversaries [Biased] - but I did hear of one couple whose wedding was interspersed with prayers for the deceased.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Abigail, i can appreciate how you feel but for God's sake woman pull yourself together and go to a bloody ship meet.

You are blessed that you post something and ppl pop out and invite you out to tea. STOP wasting time and bloody go, many would be extremely envious of the opportunity. You will only have yourself to blame if you don't do something, even if it's not on your actual birthday, it'll be something to look forward to.

This is totally said in love but pull your finger out, time's a tickin. [Axe murder]

You’re absolutely right, and I will try, I promise!

I had a really rubbish day yesterday (Sundays usually are these days unfortunately [Frown] ) but I'm off out now to buy myself something to cheer myself up. And tomorrow I'm meeting my old school friend for coffee (the one I mentioned in my OP) so hopefully the week will be a bit better than I feared.

Again, thank you so much for all the replies and suggestions.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely tea at the Ritz, like anything else frequently ruined by having to make conversation (cinema, theatre, going for a coffee), is at its best when alone?

But then I love dining alone and find it odd that it's such a taboo!

No big birthdays for me for a bit (25th was this year) but my 18th was fun - Shrove Tuesday so all the pancakes!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016